|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the group of soldiers want to divide up the confiscated valuables on the spot?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Yoko see for the first time once in Japan?
3. Why does Yoko hand deliver her manuscript?
4. What headline does Yoko see in the newspaper?
5. Besides hunger, what does Hideyo experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yoko feel when she disembarks the boat in Fukuoka?
2. Describe the dichotomy of the Tokyo train station.
3. Describe the emotions Ko and Yoko experience in the first few pages of Chapter 9.
4. At this point in the story, what defines "normal" for Yoko and Ko?
5. How does Ko demonstrate the importance of respect in Japanese culture?
6. In order to survive for as long as Hideyo has in the conditions he has endured, what character traits do you think he possesses?
7. Upon mother's and Yoko's reunion at the train station, Yoko thinks to herself that she suddenly "felt grown up." What brings about this change in Yoko's sense of self?
8. Why do you think that mother insists that Yoko and Ko continue their education?
9. Why do you think Yoko titled her essay, "Understanding?"
10. Why do you think Yoko would choose to write about her experiences at school rather than the ordeal she and her family endured when leaving Korea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the main characters deal with the tragedies and atrocities inherently related to war?
Essay Topic 2
Upon learning that her story would be published, Yoko said, "I competed against life and death when young. And I won." Choose three critical turning points in the story in which Yoko had to compete "against life and death" and describe how she emerged victorious.
Essay Topic 3
Despite all that Yoko endures, how is she able to maintain her identity throughout the book? What obstacles does she encounter? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)