|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the three soldiers when they confront Yoko's family?
2. What does Yoko liken her blanket to?
3. One lesson learned by Hideyo in Chapter 4 could be summarized as:
4. Who do Hideyo and his friends encounter on their journey towards Seoul?
5. What disease do the Korean Communists think mother has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there in Chapter 5 that indicates that Ko's place and role in the family has changed?
2. The Korean officials are quite strict about letting only 100 people on the boat. One official says, "the rule is the rule. That is what your government always said to us." Why do you think the soldier delights in saying this to the hundreds of people waiting in line?
3. The Japanese are being persecuted by the Korean Communists because of their nationality. How has Yoko had to compromise her individual and cultural identity thus far?
4. Under what circumstances does Yoko think Ko is being mean?
5. For the first time, Ko cries as the family sets sail towards Japan. Why do you think she cries?
6. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
7. Early in Chapter 5, Ko wishes that Yoko had been killed. Do you think she still feels this way at the end of the chapter? Why or why not?
8. What evidence is there of Ko's survival skills and instinct in Chapter 2?
9. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
10. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ko and Yoko seem to escape or change their fate on many different occasions. Cite three specific opportunities, experiences, or events which allow them to continue living and change their circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Despite all that Yoko endures, how is she able to maintain her identity throughout the book? What obstacles does she encounter? How does she overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
War is a time when man's inhumanity to man emerges. Cite three examples in the book when humanity reigned in the face of adversity.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)