|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following characters hides successfully with Hideyo?
2. What happens to the three soldiers when they confront Yoko's family?
3. What does Ko help Yoko do after they begin walking along the tracks to Seoul?
4. Who gives the family some difficulty?
5. Where does Hideyo work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
2. If you were to give Chapter 2 a title, what would it be, and why?
3. Why do you think "Hideyo talked to himself in his heart"?
4. Which of his sisters do you think Hideyo is more like and why?
5. What evidence is there of Ko's survival skills and instinct in Chapter 2?
6. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
7. For the first time, Ko cries as the family sets sail towards Japan. Why do you think she cries?
8. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
9. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
10. Why do you think that Mother seems dismayed about how Ko procures the tomatoes and corn instead of marveling at Ko's resourcefulness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of kindness in the book. Give specific examples of the kindness that Yoko and her family members receive from others.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from physically being so far from the bamboo grove, how are Yoko and her family symbolically so far from it? In other words, what does the bamboo grove symbolize for them?
Essay Topic 3
Despite all that Yoko endures, how is she able to maintain her identity throughout the book? What obstacles does she encounter? How does she overcome them?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)