|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is Yoko at the start of the story?
2. Which phrase best describes the family's mindset in Chapter 3?
3. What does Hideyo do instead of going to war?
4. When Hideyo leaves his friends, where does he head?
5. What does Ko help Yoko do after they begin walking along the tracks to Seoul?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were to give Chapter 2 a title, what would it be, and why?
2. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
3. Give examples of ordinary people risking their lives to help others in Chapter 2.
4. Why is mother upset that Hideyo wants to join the army?
5. What sort of traditional Japanese activities is Yoko learning at school?
6. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
7. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
8. Why is the Kawashima family, of Japanese origin, living in Korea?
9. The Japanese are being persecuted by the Korean Communists because of their nationality. How has Yoko had to compromise her individual and cultural identity thus far?
10. How is Yoko's family's life different during the day and at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is a time when man's inhumanity to man emerges. Cite three examples in the book when humanity reigned in the face of adversity.
Essay Topic 2
There are many times throughout the book when the characters have to lie or be dishonest with people. Under what circumstances did Yoko, Ko, Hideyo, and other characters have to lie throughout their ordeal? What were the consequences, if any, for their dishonesty? Might these lies ever come back to haunt the characters in their future? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Yoko titled her essay "Understanding?" Do you think a different title would have been more fitting? Explain.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)