|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the group of four friends find when they return to their village?
2. Why does Yoko's family live in Korea?
3. When does the family travel?
4. Who do Hideyo and his friends encounter on their journey towards Seoul?
5. What risk do the nurse and medic take on the train bound for Seoul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What war-time preparations are being made by Yoko's family in Chapter 1?
2. Give examples of ordinary people risking their lives to help others in Chapter 2.
3. Why does mother not want to look as the train passes their house?
4. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
5. How is Yoko's family's life different during the day and at night?
6. Why does Hideyo think that the Korean Communists want to find his father?
7. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
8. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
9. The Japanese are being persecuted by the Korean Communists because of their nationality. How has Yoko had to compromise her individual and cultural identity thus far?
10. Early in Chapter 5, Ko wishes that Yoko had been killed. Do you think she still feels this way at the end of the chapter? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many times throughout the book when the characters have to lie or be dishonest with people. Under what circumstances did Yoko, Ko, Hideyo, and other characters have to lie throughout their ordeal? What were the consequences, if any, for their dishonesty? Might these lies ever come back to haunt the characters in their future? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think there is such a heavy emphasis on education throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does family play in the book? How is the importance of family symbolized? At what cost does the family try to stay together? Are there characters in the book who are not blood relatives but act as such? Give specific examples.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)