|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Towards the end of Chapter 8, what does Ko courageously do to carry out an important duty?
(a) Light the crematorium fire.
(b) Go in search of Hideyo.
(c) Stand up to the Communists.
(d) Defend her honor.
2. What headline does Yoko see in the newspaper?
(a) Thousands dead.
(b) Essay contest.
(c) War is over.
(d) School closing.
3. What trait does Mrs. Masuda personify?
4. Who writes a letter to Yoko?
(a) Corporal Matsumura.
(c) Mrs. Masuda.
5. What is the condition of the warehouse when Ko and Yoko arrive?
(a) It is overcrowded.
(b) It is dirty and abandoned.
(c) It is clean and comfortable.
(d) It is nicely decorated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yoko hand deliver her manuscript?
2. Why won't Mother leave for Aomori?
3. What does Ko learn when reading the newspaper?
4. What does Hideyo consider taking from the dead soldier?
5. What color was Yoko's blanket originally?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this point in the story, what defines "normal" for Yoko and Ko?
2. How does Ko demonstrate the importance of respect in Japanese culture?
3. How does Ko continue to demonstrate her survival instincts in Chapter 9?
4. What are the physical and psychological obstacles facing Hideyo in Chapter 6?
5. Describe Yoko's friendship with Mr. Naido.
6. Despite their destitute situation, how does Ko see things in a positive light?
7. What role do Ko and Yoko play in Mother's death ritual?
8. In order to survive for as long as Hideyo has in the conditions he has endured, what character traits do you think he possesses?
9. Do you think the geese Hideyo sees flying are a symbol of anything? If so, what?
10. Why do you think Yoko ponders that "it was strange that we did not think more of father, whom we loved dearly" instead of Hideyo?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)