|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes a letter to Yoko?
(a) Corporal Matsumura.
(b) Mrs. Masuda.
2. Why won't Hideyo throw away the old Korean clothes?
(a) Because they were all he had.
(b) Because he had loved the Lees who gave them to him.
(c) Because Father had given them to him.
(d) Because Mother had given them to him.
3. What is Yoko's favorite subject?
4. What was the main difference between the Japanese trains and the Korean trains?
(a) The Korean trains are cleaner.
(b) The Japanese trains are slower.
(c) The Korean trains are more crowded.
(d) The Japanese trains are smaller.
5. Why does Yoko speak slowly to the man with the stutter?
(a) Because father once cured someone by doing this.
(b) Because he can't understand her.
(c) Because he asks her to.
(d) Because she can't understand him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does mother tell Yoko and Ko must be their priority?
2. Who do the police call to help Yoko and Ko now that they are on their own in Chapter 8?
3. How does Mother pay for Yoko and Ko to go to school?
4. How does Yoko think of Ko?
5. Who is Mrs. Masuda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite their destitute situation, how does Ko see things in a positive light?
2. How does Ko continue to demonstrate her survival instincts in Chapter 9?
3. What rituals and traditions do Yoko and Ko perform in honor of New Year's? What significance do they have?
4. In order to survive for as long as Hideyo has in the conditions he has endured, what character traits do you think he possesses?
5. Describe the emotions Ko and Yoko experience in the first few pages of Chapter 9.
6. As Chapter 8 begins, Yoko feels that she has nothing except for one thing. What does she have?
7. Why does Yoko find it hard to believe that the corporal has found her and Ko?
8. Why do you think Yoko ponders that "it was strange that we did not think more of father, whom we loved dearly" instead of Hideyo?
9. What motivates Hideyo to press on as he struggles through the storm?
10. How does Ko demonstrate the importance of respect in Japanese culture?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)