|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have Yoko, Ko, and mother been at the refugee camp?
(a) A week.
(b) Six months.
(c) A month.
(d) A year.
2. Why does Yoko speak slowly to the man with the stutter?
(a) Because she can't understand him.
(b) Because father once cured someone by doing this.
(c) Because he asks her to.
(d) Because he can't understand her.
3. What was father's name seal made of?
4. What items does the trash man save for Yoko?
(a) Scissors, pens, tape, and glue.
(b) A slide rule, scissors, a compass, and a dictionary.
(c) A thesaurus, a calculator, paint, and an eraser.
(d) Notebooks, a binder, paper clips, and a ruler.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Yoko see for the first time once in Japan?
(a) A plane.
(b) A streetcar.
(c) A bus.
(d) A movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Hideyo felt about snow when he lived in Nanam?
2. In addition to "trash picker," what do Yoko's classmates call her?
3. What is Yoko instructed to give Hideyo as a welcome gift?
4. What does Yoko take from the trash?
5. What trait does Mrs. Masuda personify?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Hideyo is so attached to Yoko's fur coat?
2. Despite their destitute situation, how does Ko see things in a positive light?
3. Upon mother's and Yoko's reunion at the train station, Yoko thinks to herself that she suddenly "felt grown up." What brings about this change in Yoko's sense of self?
4. What evidence is there that deep down, Ko is still a young girl?
5. Do you think the geese Hideyo sees flying are a symbol of anything? If so, what?
6. Why do you think Yoko ponders that "it was strange that we did not think more of father, whom we loved dearly" instead of Hideyo?
7. In order to survive for as long as Hideyo has in the conditions he has endured, what character traits do you think he possesses?
8. How would you characterize Yoko's classmates' experience during the final months of the war based on the way she is received?
9. Why do you think Yoko would choose to write about her experiences at school rather than the ordeal she and her family endured when leaving Korea?
10. Why do you think that mother insists that Yoko and Ko continue their education?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)