|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yoko do to one of the policemen?
(a) She thanks him.
(b) She begs him to leave.
(c) She hits him.
(d) She bites him.
2. What is located in Tanch'on?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) Freedom from oppression.
(c) Hideyo's family.
(d) Communist Army Headquarters.
3. Where does the family follow the tracks to?
4. What news does the tall policeman deliver to Yoko's family?
(a) That their relatives had been killed.
(b) That atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
(c) That they would have to stay in Seoul indefinitely.
(d) That their native village was destroyed.
5. What skill does Hideyo use to convince others that he is Korean?
(a) His knowledge of military tactics.
(b) His understanding of Communist ideology.
(c) His ability to perform manual labor.
(d) His mastery of the Korean language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hideyo fail the written test for the military?
2. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
3. Who is the only family member to make a convincing soldier?
4. How did Yoko's family prove that they were Japanese?
5. What does Ko give the man who helps them get aboard the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
2. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
3. Early in Chapter 5, Ko wishes that Yoko had been killed. Do you think she still feels this way at the end of the chapter? Why or why not?
4. Do you think Yoko would have made it this far without Ko?
5. Why do you think "Hideyo talked to himself in his heart"?
6. Yoko's family has little time to pack when they left their home. They have to decide between items necessary for survival and items which are of sentimental value. What item of sentimental is revealed in this chapter and what is its significance?
7. What evidence is there in Chapter 5 that indicates that Ko's place and role in the family has changed?
8. What war-time preparations are being made by Yoko's family in Chapter 1?
9. What evidence is there of Ko's survival skills and instinct in Chapter 2?
10. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)