|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What outrages Hideyo?
(a) The disappearance of his friends.
(b) The cruelty of the Korean Communists.
(c) The ignorance of the Russians.
(d) The loss of his family.
2. How long does Yoko stay in the hospital tent?
(a) Two weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) A month.
3. What is Hideyo packing into metal-lined wooden boxes at the start of Chapter 4?
(c) Machine guns.
4. One lesson learned by Hideyo in Chapter 4 could be summarized as:
(a) Duplicity is an effective way to deal with the enemy.
(b) What goes around comes around.
(c) Sometimes it is necessary to do awful things in order to survive.
(d) You never know who your friends are.
5. What change in Yoko's and Ko's behavior does Mother insist on so that their identity will not be discovered while waiting at the Seoul train station?
(a) That they speak only Korean.
(b) That they taunt other Japanese.
(c) That they urinate like men.
(d) That they pretend to be soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ko and Yoko leave word for Hideyo?
2. What does Ko manage to get from the farmer by speaking to him in Korean?
3. Where does Ko find food for the family?
4. What were the Japanese required to surrender to Korean officials before boarding the ship to Japan?
5. What proves to be a problem with Yoko's disguise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hideyo think that the Korean Communists want to find his father?
2. What war-time preparations are being made by Yoko's family in Chapter 1?
3. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
4. Why do you think "Hideyo talked to himself in his heart"?
5. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
6. What evidence is there of Ko's survival skills and instinct in Chapter 2?
7. How is Yoko's family's life different during the day and at night?
8. Describe Ko's continued ascent to leader of the family.
9. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends take extra care in handling the bodies of women or young girls when they are packing up bodies for disposal?
10. The Korean officials are quite strict about letting only 100 people on the boat. One official says, "the rule is the rule. That is what your government always said to us." Why do you think the soldier delights in saying this to the hundreds of people waiting in line?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)