|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which family member is injured by an explosion in Chapter 3?
2. What does father direct the family to do in the bamboo grove?
(a) Set it on fire.
(b) Hide their valuables.
(c) Cut it down.
(d) Dig a shelter.
3. Who do the Communists search for on the train?
(b) The family.
4. Why do the Korean Communists stage a raid at Hideyo's workplace?
(a) To recruit new soldiers.
(b) To take supplies.
(c) To steal military secrets.
(d) To kill Japanese youth.
5. Why does Yoko's family live in Korea?
(a) The family was exiled.
(b) Father works for the government in Manchuria.
(c) Father is a native Korean.
(d) The family was in hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stolen from Hideyo's room at home?
2. Who of the following characters hides successfully with Hideyo?
3. Even though it is against the law, what do the planes do?
4. Which phrase best describes the family's mindset in Chapter 3?
5. How does Yoko's family survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in Chapter 5, Ko wishes that Yoko had been killed. Do you think she still feels this way at the end of the chapter? Why or why not?
2. Under what circumstances does Yoko think Ko is being mean?
3. Why do the students perform at the hospital?
4. What sort of traditional Japanese activities is Yoko learning at school?
5. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
6. Give examples of ordinary people risking their lives to help others in Chapter 2.
7. Describe Yoko's emotions as she, Ko, and mother head for Japan.
8. The Japanese are being persecuted by the Korean Communists because of their nationality. How has Yoko had to compromise her individual and cultural identity thus far?
9. What is the symbolism of Yoko's Mt. Fuji paperweight?
10. Why is mother upset that Hideyo wants to join the army?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)