|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Hideyo's friends go once they reach Wonsan?
(b) Rice and beans.
(d) To find their families.
2. What happens to the three soldiers when they confront Yoko's family?
(a) They surrender.
(b) A bomb kills them.
(c) They are shot.
(d) They are ambushed.
3. Where does Hideyo work?
(a) In a factory.
(b) At a school.
(c) In the fields.
(d) In an office.
4. Who does Yoko know will become an important figure in her life?
(a) Corporal Matsumura.
(d) Mr. Fukui.
5. Where does the family catch a train to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Korean Communists stage a raid at Hideyo's workplace?
2. How does the family feel when Hideyo fails his written exam for the military?
3. Who do Hideyo and his friends encounter on their journey towards Seoul?
4. Which phrase best describes the family's mindset in Chapter 3?
5. Which family member is injured by an explosion in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were to give Chapter 2 a title, what would it be, and why?
2. The Japanese are being persecuted by the Korean Communists because of their nationality. How has Yoko had to compromise her individual and cultural identity thus far?
3. Why does Hideyo think that the Korean Communists want to find his father?
4. Why does mother not want to look as the train passes their house?
5. Do you think Yoko would have made it this far without Ko?
6. The Korean officials are quite strict about letting only 100 people on the boat. One official says, "the rule is the rule. That is what your government always said to us." Why do you think the soldier delights in saying this to the hundreds of people waiting in line?
7. For the first time, Ko cries as the family sets sail towards Japan. Why do you think she cries?
8. Why do the students perform at the hospital?
9. Under what circumstances does Yoko think Ko is being mean?
10. What sort of traditional Japanese activities is Yoko learning at school?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)