|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
(a) His father's gun.
(b) His family's savings book.
(c) His family's heirlooms.
(d) His family portrait.
2. What outrages Hideyo?
(a) The loss of his family.
(b) The disappearance of his friends.
(c) The ignorance of the Russians.
(d) The cruelty of the Korean Communists.
3. What is Yoko given that she describes as a "precious treasure"?
(a) Mother's short sword.
(c) A piece of jewelry.
(d) A bottle of milk.
4. Why does Yoko's family live in Korea?
(a) The family was exiled.
(b) The family was in hiding.
(c) Father is a native Korean.
(d) Father works for the government in Manchuria.
5. How long does Yoko stay in the hospital tent?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police barge into the family's home and take in addition to mother's wedding ring?
2. What does Yoko liken her blanket to?
3. What is Hideyo packing into metal-lined wooden boxes at the start of Chapter 4?
4. Why do the soldiers quickly leave the boxcar in which Yoko, Ko, and Mother are located?
5. What disease do the Korean Communists think mother has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
2. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
3. The Korean officials are quite strict about letting only 100 people on the boat. One official says, "the rule is the rule. That is what your government always said to us." Why do you think the soldier delights in saying this to the hundreds of people waiting in line?
4. Why do you think "Hideyo talked to himself in his heart"?
5. Under what circumstances does Yoko think Ko is being mean?
6. What evidence is there in Chapter 5 that indicates that Ko's place and role in the family has changed?
7. Which of his sisters do you think Hideyo is more like and why?
8. Describe Ko's continued ascent to leader of the family.
9. Why does Hideyo think that the Korean Communists want to find his father?
10. Why is mother upset that Hideyo wants to join the army?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)