|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Yoko, Ko, and Mother located for most of Chapter 2?
(a) At home.
(b) In the bamboo grove.
(c) Aboard a train.
(d) In prison.
2. How do Ko and Yoko leave word for Hideyo?
(a) By carving messages into the station posts.
(b) By asking a friend to deliver the message.
(c) By calling the factory where he worked.
(d) By leaving a message with the stationmaster.
3. What theme does the story allude to?
(a) Kind acts are rarely repaid.
(b) Atrocities are an unavoidable result of war.
(c) Persecution is a natural result of prejudice.
(d) War is often the result of a misunderstanding.
4. Why do the Korean Communists resent the Japanese?
(a) Because they were under Japanese rule for so long.
(b) Because the Japanese killed so many Koreans in World War I.
(c) Because they were racists.
(d) Because they believed in a different religion.
5. Which character becomes a friend of Yoko's family?
(a) Major Ryu.
(b) Corporal Matsumura.
(c) Mr. Fukui.
(d) Mr. Enomoto.
Short Answer Questions
1. One lesson learned by Hideyo in Chapter 4 could be summarized as:
2. Who do the Communists search for on the train?
3. What does Ko call Yoko?
4. Where does Ko find food for the family?
5. What age is Yoko at the start of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends take extra care in handling the bodies of women or young girls when they are packing up bodies for disposal?
2. Early in Chapter 5, Ko wishes that Yoko had been killed. Do you think she still feels this way at the end of the chapter? Why or why not?
3. Why does mother not want to look as the train passes their house?
4. For the first time, Ko cries as the family sets sail towards Japan. Why do you think she cries?
5. What is the symbolism of Yoko's Mt. Fuji paperweight?
6. Why do you think Hideyo and his friends make a plan to reunite in five years at the Tokyo Bridge?
7. What war-time preparations are being made by Yoko's family in Chapter 1?
8. In what ways is Yoko having to grow up quickly in Chapter 2?
9. Why do you think Hideyo returns home to retrieve the family photo album?
10. Why is mother upset that Hideyo wants to join the army?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)