|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hideyo consider taking from the dead soldier?
(a) His money.
(b) His gun.
(c) His food.
(d) His uniform.
2. How has the janitor at Yoko's school changed in Chapter 8?
(a) He begins to sing.
(b) He goes mute.
(c) He begins to speak more fluently.
(d) His stutter is worse.
3. Why was Hideyo happy at first when he sees people coming towards him on the tracks?
(a) He thinks they are Russians coming to save him.
(b) He thinks they are other escapees.
(c) He thinks he has almost made it to Seoul.
(d) He thinks they are his family members.
4. How does Mother pay for Yoko and Ko to go to school?
(a) A friend of mother's pays.
(b) She has brought money from Korea.
(c) She steals the money.
(d) She obtained scholarships for them.
5. What is Yoko instructed to give Hideyo as a welcome gift?
(a) A kimono.
(b) A letter.
(c) A watch.
(d) A sword.
6. Why is Hideyo afraid to give into his exhaustion and sleep?
(a) He is afraid he'll be discovered by the Korean Communists.
(b) He is afraid of not finding his family.
(c) He is afraid he will miss his train.
(d) He is afraid he'll die.
7. Why can't Yoko go to the hotel alone?
(a) Japanese women and girls are forbidden to visit a man in a hotel without a guardian.
(b) It is in a dangerous neighborhood.
(c) She doesn't know how to get back to the warehouse in the dark.
(d) The hotel staff won't let her in because she is so unkempt.
8. How much does the school cost per month?
(a) Fifty yen.
(b) Thirty yen.
(c) One hundred yen.
(d) It is free.
9. How long has it been since Hideyo had eaten at the start of Chapter 6?
(a) A few days.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Five days.
(d) Nearly two weeks.
10. What does Ko learn when reading the newspaper?
(a) That there is a new port for refugees from Korea.
(b) That father has died.
(c) That they need to report to the embassy.
(d) That Hideyo has died.
11. Why does Yoko speak slowly to the man with the stutter?
(a) Because father once cured someone by doing this.
(b) Because he can't understand her.
(c) Because he asks her to.
(d) Because she can't understand him.
12. What do Yoko and Ko find in the wrapping cloth?
(b) A letter.
13. Towards the end of Chapter 8, what does Ko courageously do to carry out an important duty?
(a) Defend her honor.
(b) Go in search of Hideyo.
(c) Light the crematorium fire.
(d) Stand up to the Communists.
14. Why does Yoko hand deliver her manuscript?
(a) She doesn't have enough money to mail it.
(b) It is supposed to be hand-delivered.
(c) It is too heavy to mail.
(d) She is required to read it aloud to the judges.
15. What happens to mother in Chapter 8?
(a) She heads to her parents' house.
(b) She goes to look for Hideyo.
(c) She leaves on a train.
(d) She dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yoko take from the trash?
2. Why does Yoko resolve to never step into a Buddhist temple?
3. What physical attribute is Yoko very self-conscious about?
4. What experience does Yoko have in the train station while waiting for Ko to return from school that makes her suddenly feel grown up?
5. What does Hideyo find to eat as he approaches the gorge through the mountains?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)