|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take to cross the Korean Straight?
(a) Three days.
(b) A month.
(c) A week.
(d) Six hours.
2. Why does the group of soldiers want to divide up the confiscated valuables on the spot?
(a) They're afraid of their superior finding out.
(b) They think they'll get shortchanged.
(c) They think that the Japanese people they stole from will find them.
(d) They're afraid of losing them in their travels.
3. What is the title of Yoko's work?
4. What does the first train Yoko, Ko, and mother board in Japan smell like?
(a) Rotten fish.
(c) Dirty socks.
(d) A zoo.
5. What is like "tons of stone"?
(a) The blanket he carries.
(b) The snow Hideyo walks through.
(c) Hideyo's shoes.
(d) Hideyo's rucksack.
6. What headline does Yoko see in the newspaper?
(a) Thousands dead.
(b) Essay contest.
(c) School closing.
(d) War is over.
7. What was father's name seal made of?
8. What wakes up Yoko while she is sleeping in the factory?
(a) A bad dream.
(b) A streetcar.
(d) An alarm.
9. Who writes a letter to Yoko?
(b) Corporal Matsumura.
(c) Mrs. Masuda.
10. What is the condition of the warehouse when Ko and Yoko arrive?
(a) It is dirty and abandoned.
(b) It is clean and comfortable.
(c) It is overcrowded.
(d) It is nicely decorated.
11. What predicament does Yoko face after being enrolled in school for a few months?
(a) Whether to get a job.
(b) The loss of all her possessions.
(c) An increase in school tuition.
(d) Whether to continue going to school.
12. Why won't Hideyo throw away the old Korean clothes?
(a) Because they were all he had.
(b) Because Mother had given them to him.
(c) Because Father had given them to him.
(d) Because he had loved the Lees who gave them to him.
13. Why was Hideyo happy at first when he sees people coming towards him on the tracks?
(a) He thinks they are his family members.
(b) He thinks they are Russians coming to save him.
(c) He thinks he has almost made it to Seoul.
(d) He thinks they are other escapees.
14. Towards the end of Chapter 8, what does Ko courageously do to carry out an important duty?
(a) Go in search of Hideyo.
(b) Light the crematorium fire.
(c) Defend her honor.
(d) Stand up to the Communists.
15. What items does the trash man save for Yoko?
(a) A thesaurus, a calculator, paint, and an eraser.
(b) Notebooks, a binder, paper clips, and a ruler.
(c) Scissors, pens, tape, and glue.
(d) A slide rule, scissors, a compass, and a dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ko make from the Korean Communists' uniforms?
2. What does mother tell Yoko and Ko must be their priority?
3. What do Ko and Yoko set up in the warehouse?
4. Who has Mrs. Masuda been waiting for at the train station?
5. What is Yoko's favorite subject?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)