|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has Mrs. Masuda been waiting for at the train station?
(a) Her nephew.
(b) Her niece.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her son.
2. How had Hideyo felt about snow when he lived in Nanam?
(a) He thought it was pretty.
(b) He was delighted to see it.
(c) He didn't care.
(d) He hated it.
3. What does Hideyo find to eat as he approaches the gorge through the mountains?
4. What did mother tell Yoko to hold onto before she passed away?
(a) Their wrapping cloth.
(b) Their papers.
(c) Their money.
(d) Their integrity.
5. What do Ko and Yoko set up in the warehouse?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A place to study.
(c) An altar.
(d) A kitchen.
6. What was father's name seal made of?
7. What does mother tell Yoko and Ko must be their priority?
(a) Getting a job.
(b) Finding food.
8. Who is Yoko's only friend at school?
(a) Mr. Yoshida.
(b) Miss Asada.
(c) Mr. Ishida.
(d) Mr. Naido.
9. Who writes a letter to Yoko?
(a) Corporal Matsumura.
(d) Mrs. Masuda.
10. Towards the end of Chapter 8, what does Ko courageously do to carry out an important duty?
(a) Stand up to the Communists.
(b) Defend her honor.
(c) Light the crematorium fire.
(d) Go in search of Hideyo.
11. What is the title of Yoko's work?
12. Why does Yoko hand deliver her manuscript?
(a) It is supposed to be hand-delivered.
(b) It is too heavy to mail.
(c) She is required to read it aloud to the judges.
(d) She doesn't have enough money to mail it.
13. What is the condition of the warehouse when Ko and Yoko arrive?
(a) It is nicely decorated.
(b) It is dirty and abandoned.
(c) It is clean and comfortable.
(d) It is overcrowded.
14. How does Mother pay for Yoko and Ko to go to school?
(a) She steals the money.
(b) A friend of mother's pays.
(c) She obtained scholarships for them.
(d) She has brought money from Korea.
15. What items does the trash man save for Yoko?
(a) Notebooks, a binder, paper clips, and a ruler.
(b) A thesaurus, a calculator, paint, and an eraser.
(c) Scissors, pens, tape, and glue.
(d) A slide rule, scissors, a compass, and a dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Yoko's blanket originally?
2. What does Ko make for breakfast, "the only decent breakfast" they've eaten in five months?
3. What town is the only one to escape bombing?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Yoko see for the first time once in Japan?
5. How long has it been since Hideyo had eaten at the start of Chapter 6?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)