|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Yoko see for the first time once in Japan?
(a) A streetcar.
(b) A movie.
(c) A plane.
(d) A bus.
2. What does Ko make for breakfast, "the only decent breakfast" they've eaten in five months?
(b) Miso soup and rice.
(c) Vegetables and rice.
3. Who attends the banquet with Yoko?
(a) Mr. Naido.
(b) Mr. Masuda.
4. What does Ko make from the Korean Communists' uniforms?
(a) A dress for Mrs. Masuda.
(b) A coat for Yoko.
(c) Pants for Mr. Masuda.
(d) Pants for herself.
5. What does Yoko ask Mother at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) To help them with their school work.
(b) To watch over her and Ko.
(c) To forgive her.
(d) To help Ko repent for her sins.
6. Why does the group of soldiers want to divide up the confiscated valuables on the spot?
(a) They think they'll get shortchanged.
(b) They think that the Japanese people they stole from will find them.
(c) They're afraid of their superior finding out.
(d) They're afraid of losing them in their travels.
7. What happens to Hideyo when he reaches the farmhouse?
(a) He finds his family.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He collapses.
(d) He dies.
8. What was the main difference between the Japanese trains and the Korean trains?
(a) The Japanese trains are smaller.
(b) The Japanese trains are slower.
(c) The Korean trains are more crowded.
(d) The Korean trains are cleaner.
9. What does Yoko like about school?
(b) The lessons.
(c) The teachers.
(d) The girls.
10. How had Hideyo felt about snow when he lived in Nanam?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He didn't care.
(c) He thought it was pretty.
(d) He was delighted to see it.
11. How does Yoko think of Ko?
(a) Ko is nice, and Yoko likes her.
(b) Ko is mean, and Yoko is scared of her.
(c) Ko is bossy, but Yoko loves her.
(d) Ko is a liar, and Yoko hates her.
12. What did mother tell Yoko to hold onto before she passed away?
(a) Their integrity.
(b) Their papers.
(c) Their wrapping cloth.
(d) Their money.
13. How long has it been since Hideyo had eaten at the start of Chapter 6?
(a) Almost a month.
(b) Nearly two weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) Five days.
14. Towards the end of Chapter 8, what does Ko courageously do to carry out an important duty?
(a) Go in search of Hideyo.
(b) Defend her honor.
(c) Light the crematorium fire.
(d) Stand up to the Communists.
15. How long did it take to cross the Korean Straight?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) A month.
(d) Six hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Yoko and Ko find in the wrapping cloth?
2. Why won't Hideyo throw away the old Korean clothes?
3. What happens to mother in Chapter 8?
4. What is Yoko instructed to give Hideyo as a welcome gift?
5. Where is the refugee camp?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)