|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main difference between the Japanese trains and the Korean trains?
(a) The Japanese trains are slower.
(b) The Japanese trains are smaller.
(c) The Korean trains are more crowded.
(d) The Korean trains are cleaner.
2. What headline does Yoko see in the newspaper?
(a) School closing.
(b) War is over.
(c) Essay contest.
(d) Thousands dead.
3. In addition to "trash picker," what do Yoko's classmates call her?
(a) Dirty girl.
(b) Yoko the orphan.
(c) Poor girl.
(d) Rag doll.
4. Who writes a letter to Yoko?
(c) Mrs. Masuda.
(d) Corporal Matsumura.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Yoko see for the first time once in Japan?
(a) A bus.
(b) A movie.
(c) A plane.
(d) A streetcar.
6. What was father's name seal made of?
7. How long has it been since Hideyo had eaten at the start of Chapter 6?
(a) A few days.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Nearly two weeks.
(d) Five days.
8. What does Mrs. Masuda offer Yoko and Ko?
(a) Food to eat.
(b) Books to read.
(c) Pots and pans to cook.
(d) Blankets and pillows.
9. What does Hideyo consider taking from the dead soldier?
(a) His food.
(b) His uniform.
(c) His money.
(d) His gun.
10. Where is the refugee camp?
(a) In the auditorium of a girls' school.
(b) In the cafeteria of a boys' school.
(c) In the field near a farmhouse.
(d) In the gymnasium of a public school.
11. What is like "tons of stone"?
(a) Hideyo's shoes.
(b) The blanket he carries.
(c) The snow Hideyo walks through.
(d) Hideyo's rucksack.
12. What do Ko and Yoko set up in the warehouse?
(a) An altar.
(b) A kitchen.
(c) A place to study.
(d) An orphanage.
13. What did mother tell Yoko to hold onto before she passed away?
(a) Their papers.
(b) Their integrity.
(c) Their wrapping cloth.
(d) Their money.
14. How does Yoko think of Ko?
(a) Ko is a liar, and Yoko hates her.
(b) Ko is nice, and Yoko likes her.
(c) Ko is bossy, but Yoko loves her.
(d) Ko is mean, and Yoko is scared of her.
15. Why does Yoko resolve to never step into a Buddhist temple?
(a) Because the monk wouldn't say a prayer.
(b) Because she wasn't a Buddhist.
(c) Because she was afraid of them.
(d) Because mother told her not to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mother wearing in Chapter 8?
2. What wakes up Yoko while she is sleeping in the factory?
3. What is Hideyo's motivation to live through the snow storm?
4. Why was Hideyo happy at first when he sees people coming towards him on the tracks?
5. What town is the only one to escape bombing?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)