|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Yoko in chapter three?
(a) She is separated from her family.
(b) She is cut.
(c) Her ear is injured.
(d) She loses her arm.
2. What does Ko call Yoko?
(c) Little one.
3. How does Yoko nearly reveal the family's hiding place in Chapter 2?
(a) By sneezing.
(b) By tripping.
(c) By crying.
(d) By throwing up.
4. Why is Yoko's family sprayed with chemicals?
(a) To disinfect the dirty uniforms.
(b) To kill any lice and bugs.
(c) To rid them of disease.
(d) To immunize them.
5. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
(a) His father's gun.
(b) His family's savings book.
(c) His family's heirlooms.
(d) His family portrait.
6. During the train ride, what happens?
(a) The soldiers beat the passengers.
(b) The family gets separated.
(c) The passengers are forbidden to talk.
(d) The pregnant woman gives birth.
7. Where do Hideyo's friends go once they reach Wonsan?
(b) To find their families.
(d) Rice and beans.
8. What do Hideyo and his friends discover on the way to Seoul?
(a) That Japan has lost the war.
(b) That Korea has lost the war.
(c) That Japan won the war.
(d) That Father has been killed.
9. What is stolen from Hideyo's room at home?
(a) A record player, a mirror, and clothes.
(b) A clock, a radio, and clothes.
(c) A book, a painting, and a gun.
(d) A mirror, a book, and a gun.
10. What does Hideyo do instead of going to war?
(a) Goes to jail.
(b) Goes to school.
(c) Goes to work in the factory.
(d) Goes to America.
11. What precious family treasure does Mother use in Chapter 3?
(a) Her ancestors' book of scriptures.
(b) Her ancestors' tea cup.
(c) Her ancestors' short sword.
(d) Her ancestors' ceremonial robe.
12. What is a plausible explanation for the Russians not realizing that Hideyo and his friends were Japanese and not Korean?
(a) The Russians are too trusting of the enemy.
(b) The Russians don't realize Hideyo was speaking Japanese.
(c) The Russians may have assumed that Japanese and Koreans looked the same.
(d) The Russians don't speak Korean so they didn't know any better.
13. What skill does Hideyo use to convince others that he is Korean?
(a) His mastery of the Korean language.
(b) His ability to perform manual labor.
(c) His understanding of Communist ideology.
(d) His knowledge of military tactics.
14. Who has landed near Nanan?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The British.
(d) The Koreans.
15. How does Yoko's family travel undetected?
(a) They are protected by the doctor.
(b) They march among soldiers.
(c) They wear the uniforms of the dead soldiers.
(d) They hide on a train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family catch a train to?
2. What happens after the train is bombed?
3. Which character becomes a friend of Yoko's family?
4. Who is the only family member to make a convincing soldier?
5. Why does Mother ties strings to Yoko's and Ko's wrists?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)