|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill does Hideyo use to convince others that he is Korean?
(a) His ability to perform manual labor.
(b) His understanding of Communist ideology.
(c) His mastery of the Korean language.
(d) His knowledge of military tactics.
2. What is stolen from Hideyo's room at home?
(a) A clock, a radio, and clothes.
(b) A record player, a mirror, and clothes.
(c) A book, a painting, and a gun.
(d) A mirror, a book, and a gun.
3. How does the family feel when Hideyo fails his written exam for the military?
(a) They are surprised.
(b) They are overjoyed.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are disappointed.
4. Who gives the family some difficulty?
(a) The nurse.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The pregnant woman.
(d) The stationmaster.
5. Why do the soldiers quickly leave the boxcar in which Yoko, Ko, and Mother are located?
(a) They hear a riot in the next boxcar.
(b) They are summoned to the front of the train.
(c) They are afraid of catching a disease.
(d) They are under attack.
6. During the train ride, what happens?
(a) The family gets separated.
(b) The passengers are forbidden to talk.
(c) The pregnant woman gives birth.
(d) The soldiers beat the passengers.
7. Why does Mother ties strings to Yoko's and Ko's wrists?
(a) So they don't lose each other.
(b) As part of a Japanese tradition.
(c) As a punishment.
(d) So they can't escape.
8. What is located in Tanch'on?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) Communist Army Headquarters.
(c) Freedom from oppression.
(d) Hideyo's family.
9. What news does Yoko's teacher, Mr. Enomoto deliver to the class?
(a) That Tokyo had been bombed.
(b) That Nanan is under attack.
(c) That the war is over.
(d) That Manchuria must be evacuated.
10. What is Dr. Takeda's connection to Yoko's family?
(a) They are distant cousins.
(b) His daughter is friends with Hideyo.
(c) His father knows Yoko's father, Yoshio.
(d) They met once at a party.
11. What do the police barge into the family's home and take in addition to mother's wedding ring?
(a) Wire-rimmed glasses.
(c) Silver necklace.
(d) Family heirlooms.
12. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
(a) His father's gun.
(b) His family portrait.
(c) His family's savings book.
(d) His family's heirlooms.
13. How does Yoko's family travel undetected?
(a) They march among soldiers.
(b) They wear the uniforms of the dead soldiers.
(c) They are protected by the doctor.
(d) They hide on a train.
14. What outrages Hideyo?
(a) The cruelty of the Korean Communists.
(b) The loss of his family.
(c) The ignorance of the Russians.
(d) The disappearance of his friends.
15. Who dies on the train?
(d) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note say that Yoko gives the corporal?
2. What does Yoko liken her blanket to?
3. Which family member is injured by an explosion in Chapter 3?
4. What disease do the Korean Communists think mother has?
5. Which theme emerges in Chapter 2?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)