|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Japanese required to surrender to Korean officials before boarding the ship to Japan?
2. Which character is chosen to entertain soldiers at the hospital?
(c) Mr. Enomoto.
3. During the train ride, what happens?
(a) The pregnant woman gives birth.
(b) The passengers are forbidden to talk.
(c) The family gets separated.
(d) The soldiers beat the passengers.
4. What precious family treasure does Mother use in Chapter 3?
(a) Her ancestors' ceremonial robe.
(b) Her ancestors' book of scriptures.
(c) Her ancestors' short sword.
(d) Her ancestors' tea cup.
5. Who dies on the train?
(d) A baby.
6. What proves to be a problem with Yoko's disguise?
(a) Her gender.
(b) Her native language.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her size.
7. What is the first thing the family eats after four days of not eating anything?
8. What happens to the three soldiers when they confront Yoko's family?
(a) A bomb kills them.
(b) They are shot.
(c) They are ambushed.
(d) They surrender.
9. Why do the Korean Communists resent the Japanese?
(a) Because they were under Japanese rule for so long.
(b) Because they believed in a different religion.
(c) Because they were racists.
(d) Because the Japanese killed so many Koreans in World War I.
10. Where do Yoko and family hide when they hear marching feet?
(a) Among wild irises.
(b) In a warehouse.
(c) In the bamboo grove.
(d) Among the troops.
11. Which character is referred to as "honorable?"
12. What is Hideyo packing into metal-lined wooden boxes at the start of Chapter 4?
(d) Machine guns.
13. What change in Yoko's and Ko's behavior does Mother insist on so that their identity will not be discovered while waiting at the Seoul train station?
(a) That they pretend to be soldiers.
(b) That they taunt other Japanese.
(c) That they urinate like men.
(d) That they speak only Korean.
14. What does Yoko do to one of the policemen?
(a) She hits him.
(b) She bites him.
(c) She thanks him.
(d) She begs him to leave.
15. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
(a) His family's savings book.
(b) His family portrait.
(c) His father's gun.
(d) His family's heirlooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ko call Yoko?
2. What job do Hideyo and his friends take?
3. How does the family feel when Hideyo fails his written exam for the military?
4. Who of the following characters hides successfully with Hideyo?
5. What does Yoko's family learn once they arrive in Seoul?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)