|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mother disappointed in Ko?
(a) Because she did not obey Mother's requests.
(b) Because she has become a liar and a thief.
(c) Because she isn't taking her studies seriously.
(d) Because she doesn't respect her elders.
2. Who does Yoko know will become an important figure in her life?
(b) Corporal Matsumura.
(d) Mr. Fukui.
3. What does Yoko study at school in addition to calligraphy and Japanese dancing?
(a) Tea ceremonies.
4. Who do Hideyo and his friends encounter on their journey towards Seoul?
(a) Two Russian soldiers.
(b) Two Korean Communists.
(c) Two refugees.
(d) Two girls.
5. How long does Yoko stay in the hospital tent?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
6. What happens to Yoko in chapter three?
(a) She is cut.
(b) She is separated from her family.
(c) Her ear is injured.
(d) She loses her arm.
7. What change in Yoko's and Ko's behavior does Mother insist on so that their identity will not be discovered while waiting at the Seoul train station?
(a) That they pretend to be soldiers.
(b) That they urinate like men.
(c) That they taunt other Japanese.
(d) That they speak only Korean.
8. Why does Yoko's family live in Korea?
(a) Father is a native Korean.
(b) The family was exiled.
(c) Father works for the government in Manchuria.
(d) The family was in hiding.
9. What does Yoko do to one of the policemen?
(a) She bites him.
(b) She hits him.
(c) She thanks him.
(d) She begs him to leave.
10. When does the family travel?
(a) During the day.
(b) At night.
(c) When people are rounded up by the soldiers.
(d) When no one is around.
11. Where does the family catch a train to?
12. Why is Yoko's family sprayed with chemicals?
(a) To immunize them.
(b) To disinfect the dirty uniforms.
(c) To kill any lice and bugs.
(d) To rid them of disease.
13. Which character is chosen to entertain soldiers at the hospital?
(c) Mr. Enomoto.
14. What does father direct the family to do in the bamboo grove?
(a) Set it on fire.
(b) Hide their valuables.
(c) Dig a shelter.
(d) Cut it down.
15. During the train ride, what happens?
(a) The soldiers beat the passengers.
(b) The pregnant woman gives birth.
(c) The family gets separated.
(d) The passengers are forbidden to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase best describes the family's mindset in Chapter 3?
2. How did Yoko's family prove that they were Japanese?
3. Who do the Communists search for on the train?
4. What does Ko call Yoko?
5. What is a plausible explanation for the Russians not realizing that Hideyo and his friends were Japanese and not Korean?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)