|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has landed near Nanan?
(a) The Koreans.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The British.
2. What change in Yoko's and Ko's behavior does Mother insist on so that their identity will not be discovered while waiting at the Seoul train station?
(a) That they taunt other Japanese.
(b) That they speak only Korean.
(c) That they urinate like men.
(d) That they pretend to be soldiers.
3. What skill does Hideyo use to convince others that he is Korean?
(a) His ability to perform manual labor.
(b) His mastery of the Korean language.
(c) His knowledge of military tactics.
(d) His understanding of Communist ideology.
4. Where do Yoko and family hide when they hear marching feet?
(a) In a warehouse.
(b) In the bamboo grove.
(c) Among the troops.
(d) Among wild irises.
5. Why does Hideyo fail the written test for the military?
(a) He can't read.
(b) He fails on purpose.
(c) He doesn't study.
(d) He fails by accident.
6. What is Yoko most upset over after she, Ko, and Mother change into their disguises and continue their journey towards Seoul?
(a) Missing her friends.
(b) Being hungry.
(c) Being thirsty.
(d) Her shaved head.
7. Who do the Communists search for on the train?
(c) The family.
8. What were the Japanese required to surrender to Korean officials before boarding the ship to Japan?
9. What does Ko make out of rope for Yoko?
(a) A tie.
(b) A pulley.
(c) A belt.
10. What proves to be a problem with Yoko's disguise?
(a) Her gender.
(b) Her size.
(c) Her native language.
(d) Her clothing.
11. Why is Mother disappointed in Ko?
(a) Because she has become a liar and a thief.
(b) Because she isn't taking her studies seriously.
(c) Because she doesn't respect her elders.
(d) Because she did not obey Mother's requests.
12. In addition to food and supplies, what does Hideyo take?
(a) His family portrait.
(b) His family's savings book.
(c) His father's gun.
(d) His family's heirlooms.
13. What precious family treasure does Mother use in Chapter 3?
(a) Her ancestors' book of scriptures.
(b) Her ancestors' tea cup.
(c) Her ancestors' short sword.
(d) Her ancestors' ceremonial robe.
14. What food does Hideyo share with his friends?
(a) Fish and biscuits.
(b) Milk and cookies.
(c) Cheese and crackers.
(d) To school.
15. Where does Ko find food for the family?
(a) In someone's bag.
(b) In the hotel garbage.
(c) On the train.
(d) At the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police barge into the family's home and take in addition to mother's wedding ring?
2. Which family member is injured by an explosion in Chapter 3?
3. What is stolen from Hideyo's room at home?
4. What happens to the three soldiers when they confront Yoko's family?
5. What is located in Tanch'on?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)