• It is July 29, 1945 in Nanam, Korea.
• Several characters are introduced: Yoko, Ko, Hideyo, and mother.
• The family is fleeing to a train station in hopes of returning to their native Japan.
• Father works for the Japanese government in Manchuria.
• Soldiers confiscate the family's prized possessions.
• Yoko wakes up in a hospital, having been beaten by a soldier.
• Daily life at school had been changing for a while and Yoko is pleased to not have to attend while in the hospital.
• Students were being forced to study minimally and do work to contribute towards the war effort for the rest of the day.
• Father and Hideyo work on building a shelter for the family.
• The family prepares emergency rucksacks.
• Yoko studies about Japanese culture at school including calligraphy, tea ceremonies, flower arranging, poetry, and dance.
• The residents of the town learn that Tokyo has been destroyed in the...
This section contains 3,595 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)