|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
2. What comment does Mrs. Martin make about Mary's poem?
3. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
4. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
5. Who is Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Who is Bobby Watson?
3. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
4. Describe Mr. Martin.
5. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
6. How is Realism used in the play?
7. What ironic elements exist in the play?
8. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
9. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
10. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the lack of logic affect the dialogue and action among the characters? What effect does illogical reasoning have on the stability of the conversation? List at three specific incidents involving illogical reasoning or behavior and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
What societal rules are broken in the play and how does the blatant disregard for other characters feelings reflect the value each character places on the others? Based on their actions within the society on stage, what value do the characters place on themselves? How does the disregard for others feelings contrast with the appearance of polite English society the characters attempt to emulate?
Essay Topic 3
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)