Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)