|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Mr. Martin make about Mary's poem?
2. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
3. What is Mr. Martin's first name?
4. With what unamazing story does Mrs. Martin amaze the Smiths?
5. What did Mary buy for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
2. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
3. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
4. What illogical elements exist in the play?
5. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
6. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
7. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
8. What satirical elements exist in the play?
9. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
10. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
Essay Topic 2
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
How is conversation utilized in the play? What topics are discussed throughout the conversation? How do characters interact with each other throughout the conversation? Is the conversation productive?
This section contains 2,194 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)