|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist about Bobby Watson's demise?
2. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
3. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
4. What treatment does Dr. Mackenzie-King recommend for appendicitis?
5. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
2. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
3. Describe the stereotypes the characters represent.
4. Describe Mr. Martin.
5. What illogical elements exist in the play?
6. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
7. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
8. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
9. How is Realism used in the play?
10. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What societal rules are broken in the play and how does the blatant disregard for other characters feelings reflect the value each character places on the others? Based on their actions within the society on stage, what value do the characters place on themselves? How does the disregard for others feelings contrast with the appearance of polite English society the characters attempt to emulate?
Essay Topic 3
How are satire and parody used to expose different aspects of the theme? What elements are exposed to ridicule and mimicked? How does Ionesco use humor to condemn the behavior of the characters?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)