|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
2. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
3. According to Mrs. Martin, when can one sit down in a chair?
4. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
5. What treatment does Dr. Mackenzie-King recommend for appendicitis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Smith.
2. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
3. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
4. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
5. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
6. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
7. Describe Mrs. Martin.
8. What argument centers around the Watson family?
9. Describe Mrs. Smith.
10. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,949 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)