|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
2. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
3. Why does Mary scold Mr. and Mrs. Martin?
4. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
5. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
2. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
3. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
7. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
8. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
9. Describe Mr. Martin.
10. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are emotional responses elicited from the audience during the play? List the emotional responses you feel Ionesco was attempting to elicit from the audience and the techniques he used to evoke those emotions. How do Ionesco's techniques compare to those found in more traditional plays? How important is the audience's emotional connection to the dialogue and action in communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)