|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, what will happen if one caresses a circle?
2. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
3. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Martin's daughter?
5. According to Mrs. Smith, what did the Smith's son want to drink at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Realism used in the play?
2. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
3. What ironic elements exist in the play?
4. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
5. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
6. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
7. How is the plot developed in the play?
8. What cycle exists in the play?
9. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
10. What role does the clock play in the drama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
Essay Topic 2
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect the outcome of the play has on the characters. List examples of how the characters have been affected by their conversation. What effect might the outcome of the play have on the audience? Compare and contrast the audience's potential reaction to the play with that of the character's reaction to the evening.
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)