|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
2. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
3. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mrs. Martin sit?
4. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
5. What does Mary claim is her real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
2. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
3. What argument centers around the Watson family?
4. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
5. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
6. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
7. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
8. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
9. Describe the Fire Chief.
10. What cycle exists in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are situations from daily life incorporated into the play? How does Ionesco use the setting of the play to create the illusion of reality? How does the setting of the play affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 2
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)