|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
2. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
3. Which machine does Mrs. Smith imitate in the last scene?
4. What does Mrs. Smith ask the Fire Chief to do?
5. Which part of the alphabet does Mr. Smith quote in the last scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the mirror?
2. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
3. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
4. Who is Bobby Watson?
5. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
6. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
7. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
8. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
9. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
10. Describe the setting of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)