|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
2. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
3. According to Mr. Martin, who is William?
4. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
5. Why is the Fire Chief disappointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the play.
2. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
3. What is the significance of the mirror?
4. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
5. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
6. What ironic elements exist in the play?
7. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
8. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
9. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
10. Describe Mrs. Martin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 3
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)