|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
2. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
3. What inconsistencies exist about Bobby Watson's demise?
4. Why does Mary scold Mr. and Mrs. Martin?
5. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
2. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
3. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
4. What satirical elements exist in the play?
5. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
6. What illogical elements exist in the play?
7. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. How does the play parody English society?
10. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is conversation utilized in the play? What topics are discussed throughout the conversation? How do characters interact with each other throughout the conversation? Is the conversation productive?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)