|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
2. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
3. What observation does Mr. Smith make about the human heart?
4. Why is the Fire Chief disappointed?
5. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
2. Describe Mrs. Martin.
3. How is Realism used in the play?
4. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
5. What role does the clock play in the drama?
6. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
7. Describe Mary.
8. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
9. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
10. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
Essay Topic 1
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
Essay Topic 2
How are situations from daily life incorporated into the play? How does Ionesco use the setting of the play to create the illusion of reality? How does the setting of the play affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 3
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,831 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)