|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does the Fire Chief give the Smiths after the doorbell discussion has ended?
2. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
3. Why does Mrs. Smith believe the Martins must have interesting stories to tell?
4. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
5. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Martin.
2. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
3. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
4. Describe the setting of the play.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
7. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
8. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
9. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
10. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 3What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)