Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Essay Topic 1
How are satire and parody used to expose different aspects of the theme? What elements are exposed to ridicule and mimicked? How does Ionesco use humor to condemn the behavior of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)