|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, how does he know Mary?
2. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
3. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
4. What is the name of Mr. Martin's daughter?
5. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Martins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
2. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
3. Who is Bobby Watson?
4. What argument centers around the Watson family?
5. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
6. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
7. Describe Mary.
8. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
9. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
10. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the lack of logic affect the dialogue and action among the characters? What effect does illogical reasoning have on the stability of the conversation? List at three specific incidents involving illogical reasoning or behavior and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
Essay Topic 3
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)