|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What orders has the Fire Chief been given?
2. Why is the Fire Chief disappointed?
3. According to the Fire Chief, why did the young woman asphyxiate?
4. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
5. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary.
2. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
3. What argument centers around the Watson family?
4. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
5. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
6. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. Describe Mrs. Martin.
9. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
10. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect the outcome of the play has on the characters. List examples of how the characters have been affected by their conversation. What effect might the outcome of the play have on the audience? Compare and contrast the audience's potential reaction to the play with that of the character's reaction to the evening.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)