|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it dangerous for people to be out in the streets?
2. To whom does the Judge compare himself?
3. What does Arthur's conversation with Irma reveal?
4. What is Irma concerned about regarding the rebels?
5. Why does Irma have to love Carmen in secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who appears on the balcony?
2. How do those on the balcony react to Chantal's appearance?
3. What has the central committee been discussing?
4. Describe Armand's behavior.
5. How does the Bishop break his agreement with Irma?
6. Why do Carmen and the Queen run out of the room?
7. What does Luke want with Chantal?
8. What happens after the huge explosion?
9. Why are the other girls no longer friends with Carmen?
10. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is one central theme of the play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this theme first realized in the play?
Part 2) What are two events later in the play that reinforce this theme? How are the characters in the play affected by this theme?
Part 3) Do you believe this theme to be true in real life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Roger is a rebel.
Part 1) What does he do for the rebellion? Is the rebellion well-represented through Roger? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does he become like the authorities? Why does he change?
Part 3) What rebel committee decision is he against? Why? Does he have a valid reason to be against this decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Chief of Police and Irma are in love.
Part 1) Why do they not express their love?
Part 2) How does their love change throughout the play?
Part 3) How is their relationship at the end of the play? Why?
Part 4) How does Irma feel about their relationship at the end of the play? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)