|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately makes Carmen unhappy?
2. What is the Bishop doing in the beginning of Scene 1?
3. What does the Chief say he will do when the rebellion is over?
4. To whom does the Bishop question about the how and why of his becoming a bishop?
5. Why are these experiences important?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the visitor?
2. What is done to Chantal afterward?
3. What role does the Chief of Police hope someone will play?
4. What are the Central Committee's instructions?
5. How does Roger feel about the rebellion?
6. How does Scene 2 open?
7. What are the characters' reactions after they leave the balcony?
8. What has happened to Chantal?
9. How does Irma monitor the activities in the house?
10. Who does Irma believe will be the victors of this war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is one central theme of the play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this theme first realized in the play?
Part 2) What are two events later in the play that reinforce this theme? How are the characters in the play affected by this theme?
Part 3) Do you believe this theme to be true in real life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Chantal was once a prostitute at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is she no longer working there?
Part 2) Is she successful at what she is doing now? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does she act as a symbol?
Part 4) What is her fate? What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 3
The officials appear on the balcony.
Part 1) Why do they appear on the balcony? How do they feel about this appearance? Why do they feel this way?
Part 2) Who is with them? How do they react to this character's presence? Why do they react this way?
Part 3) After leaving the balcony, what are there reactions to the experience? Are you surprised at their reactions? Why or why not?
Part 4) How does this show a change has taken place in their characters?
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)