|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carmen doing?
2. How is Irma a thoughtful person, according to Carmen?
3. How does the Chief of Police change the subject?
4. Who has just arrived at the end of the scene?
5. What is Irma's reasoning for why the Chief has forgotten her and her needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the doorbell rings?
2. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
3. How does Roger feel about Chantal singing for the crowd?
4. Who announces the Queen? What does he say?
5. How does Irma feel about their fate?
6. What does the Queen say about the Chief's tomb?
7. What do the Chief and Irma realize will happen when they begin playing their roles?
8. What is done to Chantal afterward?
9. What does the Envoy tell the Chief is being built and could be his?
10. What are the Central Committee's instructions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is one central theme of the play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this theme first realized in the play?
Part 2) What are two events later in the play that reinforce this theme? How are the characters in the play affected by this theme?
Part 3) Do you believe this theme to be true in real life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Photographers arrive to take pictures of the officials.
Part 1) What do the Photographers do with the officials? Why do they do this?
Part 2) What is the Queen's reaction to this? How does the Envoy respond to her reaction?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on both of their reactions? Are these the responses you would expected from them? Why or why not?
Part 4) What is the purpose of this scene? How is it relevant to your own life?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the play is significant.
Part 1) What has the same name in the play? What is the significance of both of these locations?
Part 2) What is a theme of the play? How does "The Balcony" reiterate the theme?
Part 3) If this play were updated, what would be the new title of the play? Why would this be the title?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)