|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on his hands and knees in front of the Prisoner?
2. What is Irma concerned about regarding the rebels?
3. What is Carmen doing?
4. Who has just arrived at the end of the scene?
5. Why do none of the girls think of Carmen as their real friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Irma say about Carmen's daughter?
2. What role does the Chief of Police hope someone will play?
3. What takes place between the General and the Girl in the black corset?
4. How do the others react when the Chief complains no one has wanted to pretend to be him?
5. What does the Chief say about his and the others' power?
6. Who appears on the balcony?
7. What does Carmen say and do to convince the Bishop to play the role?
8. How do those on the balcony react to Chantal's appearance?
9. What takes place in the cafe?
10. What are the Central Committee's instructions?
Essay Topic 1
Roger is a surprising visitor at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is he there? What does he do to himself? Why might he have done this?
Part 2) How do the others react to his presence and his surprising actions?
Part 3) What are your reactions to reading what he has done? Compare your reactions to the other characters' reactions.
Part 4) Why is your reaction different or the same as the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Irma mentions two times that a prostitute is growing too close to a visitor.
Part 1) Why is this a problem?
Part 2) Of whom does this remind Irma? Why is she reminded of this person?
Part 3) How does this reveal more about Irma's character and feelings about being a prostitute, as well as her feelings towards the person of whom she is reminded?
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the play is a whorehouse.
Part 1) What is the name of the whorehouse? What is significant about its name?
Part 2) What does the whorehouse offer its visitors?
Part 3) Why has the author used a whorehouse as the setting? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 2,114 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)