|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are these experiences important?
2. What does the Chief of Police vow?
3. What does the Third Man ask Chantal?
4. How are the lives of the real Bishop, Judge, and General different from those that become them as part of a fantasy?
5. What does Georgette say to Chantal about her bandaging abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Envoy, Irma, Carmen, and the Chief say regarding the Queen?
2. What role does the Chief of Police hope someone will play?
3. What does Mark tell Roger to do?
4. How does Irma monitor the activities in the house?
5. How does Irma feel about their fate?
6. What does Irma say about Carmen's daughter?
7. What is Irma wearing for the Chief of Police?
8. What does the Chief say about the new rebellion?
9. What takes place in the cafe?
10. What is the Judge's fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irma is left alone on stage at the end of the play.
Part 1) To where have all the other characters gone? Why have they left?
Part 2) How is Irma different from the officials at the end of the play?
Part 3) Why has the the author changed Irma in a way that is different from the other characters?
Part 4) What is the meaning of the end of the play? Why is Irma left alone? Why is her monologue the way it is?
Essay Topic 2
Roger is a rebel.
Part 1) What does he do for the rebellion? Is the rebellion well-represented through Roger? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does he become like the authorities? Why does he change?
Part 3) What rebel committee decision is he against? Why? Does he have a valid reason to be against this decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the play is significant.
Part 1) What has the same name in the play? What is the significance of both of these locations?
Part 2) What is a theme of the play? How does "The Balcony" reiterate the theme?
Part 3) If this play were updated, what would be the new title of the play? Why would this be the title?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)