|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the only things that are real to Irma?
2. What does the General insist, after Irma leaves and the Executioner comes looking for her?
3. What does Roger say people need to start doing?
4. What does Luke say his group of rebels needs?
5. What does Irma feel for Carmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irma wearing for the Chief of Police?
2. How do Carmen and the prostitutes feel about their work?
3. What does the Chief say about the new rebellion?
4. What has the central committee been discussing?
5. Who announces the Queen? What does he say?
6. How does Irma feel about Carmen?
7. How does Irma feel about their fate?
8. How does Roger feel about Chantal singing for the crowd?
9. What is the last thing the Envoy reports?
10. What are the characters' reactions after they leave the balcony?
Essay Topic 1
Chantal was once a prostitute at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is she no longer working there?
Part 2) Is she successful at what she is doing now? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does she act as a symbol?
Part 4) What is her fate? What is the purpose of this?
Essay Topic 2
Irma is left alone on stage at the end of the play.
Part 1) To where have all the other characters gone? Why have they left?
Part 2) How is Irma different from the officials at the end of the play?
Part 3) Why has the the author changed Irma in a way that is different from the other characters?
Part 4) What is the meaning of the end of the play? Why is Irma left alone? Why is her monologue the way it is?
Essay Topic 3
Chantal is a singer.
Part 1) Where does she learn this skill? Is this a skill you would expect a prostitute to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does she want to do for the rebellion? Why does she want to do this? Do you agree that her talent would be beneficial for the rebellion? Why or why not?
Part 3) Does she get the chance to support the rebellion in the way she would like? Why or why not? Is she an effective celebrity for the rebellion? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,932 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)