|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bishop repeatedly insist that the Young Woman do?
2. How does the Chief of Police change the subject?
3. Irma offers Carmen the opportunity to fulfill a man's fantasy by pretending to be what saint?
4. What is Irma concerned about regarding the rebels?
5. What does the conversation between Irma and Carmen reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrival of the Chief of Police.
2. How do those on the balcony appear?
3. What happens after the huge explosion?
4. How does Scene 2 open?
5. How does Roger feel about the rebellion?
6. What has happened to Chantal?
7. What is the last thing the Envoy reports?
8. What is Carmen's role in the whorehouse?
9. Who is the visitor?
10. What does the Chief say about the new rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roger is a surprising visitor at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is he there? What does he do to himself? Why might he have done this?
Part 2) How do the others react to his presence and his surprising actions?
Part 3) What are your reactions to reading what he has done? Compare your reactions to the other characters' reactions.
Part 4) Why is your reaction different or the same as the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the play is a whorehouse.
Part 1) What is the name of the whorehouse? What is significant about its name?
Part 2) What does the whorehouse offer its visitors?
Part 3) Why has the author used a whorehouse as the setting? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Photographers arrive to take pictures of the officials.
Part 1) What do the Photographers do with the officials? Why do they do this?
Part 2) What is the Queen's reaction to this? How does the Envoy respond to her reaction?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on both of their reactions? Are these the responses you would expected from them? Why or why not?
Part 4) What is the purpose of this scene? How is it relevant to your own life?
This section contains 1,950 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)