|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irma notice about one of her prostitutes on the monitor?
2. What is Arthur to pose as in a session that night?
3. What does the Prisoner call the Executioner, as she pleads with him?
4. What is Carmen doing?
5. What does the Judge ask the Prisoner, in a different voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Envoy, Irma, Carmen, and the Chief say regarding the Queen?
2. What does the Chief say about the new rebellion?
3. What does Irma believe will happen to her business, if the rebels are successful?
4. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
5. Why is it difficult to retain prostitutes?
6. What has the central committee been discussing?
7. Who announces the Queen? What does he say?
8. What does the Bishop do when he sees his reflection in the mirror?
9. What is the last thing the Envoy reports?
10. What happens after the huge explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chief of Police and Irma are in love.
Part 1) Why do they not express their love?
Part 2) How does their love change throughout the play?
Part 3) How is their relationship at the end of the play? Why?
Part 4) How does Irma feel about their relationship at the end of the play? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is significant.
Part 1) What has the same name in the play? What is the significance of both of these locations?
Part 2) What is a theme of the play? How does "The Balcony" reiterate the theme?
Part 3) If this play were updated, what would be the new title of the play? Why would this be the title?
Essay Topic 3
Roger is a rebel.
Part 1) What does he do for the rebellion? Is the rebellion well-represented through Roger? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does he become like the authorities? Why does he change?
Part 3) What rebel committee decision is he against? Why? Does he have a valid reason to be against this decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)