|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Bishop doing in the beginning of Scene 1?
2. Who interrupts the men's argument?
3. What does she ask Carmen about the other girls?
4. What does Georgette say to Chantal about her bandaging abilities?
5. What does Irma notice about one of her prostitutes on the monitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between the General and the Girl in the black corset?
2. Who is the visitor?
3. What do the Chief and Irma realize will happen when they begin playing their roles?
4. What is Carmen's role in the whorehouse?
5. What does the Queen say about the Chief's tomb?
6. What does the Envoy tell the Chief is being built and could be his?
7. What happens to Chantal?
8. What is the Judge's fantasy?
9. How do those on the balcony react to Chantal's appearance?
10. Who announces the Queen? What does he say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Irma is left alone on stage at the end of the play. Part 1) To where have all the other characters gone? Why have they left? Part 2) How is Irma different from the officials at the end of the play? Part 3) Why has the the author changed Irma in a way that is different from the other characters? Part 4) What is the meaning of the end of the play? Why is Irma left alone? Why is her monologue the way it is?
Essay Topic 2The whorehouse's visitors who pretend to be the Bishop, the Judge, and the General play those roles in real life. Part 1) How do they get this opportunity? How do they feel about playing these roles in public? Part 2) How does this opportunity change them? Could they effectively continue to play these roles? Why or why not? Part 3) How does this change affect their fates? What relevance does this have in real life?
Essay Topic 3Irma believes if the rebels win, she will be out of business. Part 1) Why does she believe this? What does she believe is the fate of herself and her prostitutes? Part 2) In the end, is this her fate? Why or why not? Part 3) Is Irma right about the rebels? Why or why not? Part 4) Are the men in the rebellion different than the men Irma knows? Explain.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)