|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is no different than being a prostitute?
2. What does Chantal say she is not cut out to be?
3. To whom does the Judge compare himself?
4. What does Irma ask Carmen?
5. What does the Prisoner call the Executioner, as she pleads with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scene 2 open?
2. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
3. How does Irma feel about Carmen?
4. How do those on the balcony react to Chantal's appearance?
5. What does Irma believe will happen to her business, if the rebels are successful?
6. What is done to Chantal afterward?
7. What do Irma and the Chief of Police know about the rebellion?
8. Who appears on the balcony?
9. How does Irma feel about their fate?
10. What do the characters say about the order of authority?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roger is a surprising visitor at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is he there? What does he do to himself? Why might he have done this?
Part 2) How do the others react to his presence and his surprising actions?
Part 3) What are your reactions to reading what he has done? Compare your reactions to the other characters' reactions.
Part 4) Why is your reaction different or the same as the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur works at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is he there? What role does he play in the scenario?
Part 2) What is his relationship with Irma? How does Irma feel about Arthur? Why does she feel this way?
Part 4) What is his fate? What is the author's purpose for Arthur's fate?
Essay Topic 3
The officials appear on the balcony.
Part 1) Why do they appear on the balcony? How do they feel about this appearance? Why do they feel this way?
Part 2) Who is with them? How do they react to this character's presence? Why do they react this way?
Part 3) After leaving the balcony, what are there reactions to the experience? Are you surprised at their reactions? Why or why not?
Part 4) How does this show a change has taken place in their characters?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)