|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes in with the General's clothing?
2. Why does Irma worry about a prostitute's behavior?
3. What does Arthur's conversation with Irma reveal?
4. What does Irma refuse to tell Arthur?
5. What does the Judge ask the Prisoner, in a different voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen say about the Chief's tomb?
2. What takes place in the cafe?
3. Who announces the Queen? What does he say?
4. Who does Irma believe will be the victors of this war?
5. What are the Central Committee's instructions?
6. How do the others react to Roger's castration?
7. How does the Bishop break his agreement with Irma?
8. What happens to Chantal?
9. What are the characters' reactions after they leave the balcony?
10. What do the Chief and Irma realize will happen when they begin playing their roles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chief of Police and Irma are in love.
Part 1) Why do they not express their love?
Part 2) How does their love change throughout the play?
Part 3) How is their relationship at the end of the play? Why?
Part 4) How does Irma feel about their relationship at the end of the play? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Carmen works at the whorehouse.
Part 1) What is her job? Why does she have this job?
Part 2) How is she different from the other characters?
Part 3) Does she have power? If so, what kind of power?
Essay Topic 3
The whorehouse's visitors who pretend to be the Bishop, the Judge, and the General play those roles in real life.
Part 1) How do they get this opportunity? How do they feel about playing these roles in public?
Part 2) How does this opportunity change them? Could they effectively continue to play these roles? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this change affect their fates? What relevance does this have in real life?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)