|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Irma a thoughtful person, according to Carmen?
2. How does Carmen feel after dressing up as the Virgin Mary for a bank clerk's fantasy?
3. What does Carmen say it will not take the rebels long to discover?
4. To whom does the Bishop question about the how and why of his becoming a bishop?
5. What does Irma say about Carmen's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Carmen and the prostitutes feel about their work?
2. What takes place in the cafe?
3. How do the others react when the Chief complains no one has wanted to pretend to be him?
4. Why do Carmen and the Queen run out of the room?
5. What role does the Chief of Police hope someone will play?
6. How do the others react to Roger's castration?
7. What does the Queen say about the state of the country?
8. What is the last thing the Envoy reports?
9. How does Irma feel about their fate?
10. What does Carmen think of his ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Photographers arrive to take pictures of the officials.
Part 1) What do the Photographers do with the officials? Why do they do this?
Part 2) What is the Queen's reaction to this? How does the Envoy respond to her reaction?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on both of their reactions? Are these the responses you would expected from them? Why or why not?
Part 4) What is the purpose of this scene? How is it relevant to your own life?
Essay Topic 2
There is one central theme of the play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How is this theme first realized in the play?
Part 2) What are two events later in the play that reinforce this theme? How are the characters in the play affected by this theme?
Part 3) Do you believe this theme to be true in real life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Irma mentions two times that a prostitute is growing too close to a visitor.
Part 1) Why is this a problem?
Part 2) Of whom does this remind Irma? Why is she reminded of this person?
Part 3) How does this reveal more about Irma's character and feelings about being a prostitute, as well as her feelings towards the person of whom she is reminded?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)