|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irma worry about a prostitute's behavior?
2. What is the rebels' control committee discussing?
3. Why are these experiences important?
4. What does Irma refuse to tell Arthur?
5. What does Chantal want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
2. What are the characters' reactions after they leave the balcony?
3. What is Carmen's role in the whorehouse?
4. How do the others react when the Chief complains no one has wanted to pretend to be him?
5. What do the Envoy, Irma, Carmen, and the Chief say regarding the Queen?
6. How does Irma feel about Carmen?
7. How does the Bishop break his agreement with Irma?
8. What does the Chief say about the new rebellion?
9. How does Irma feel about the experiences she provides?
10. What does the Chief say about his and the others' power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the play is significant.
Part 1) What has the same name in the play? What is the significance of both of these locations?
Part 2) What is a theme of the play? How does "The Balcony" reiterate the theme?
Part 3) If this play were updated, what would be the new title of the play? Why would this be the title?
Essay Topic 2
Irma is left alone on stage at the end of the play.
Part 1) To where have all the other characters gone? Why have they left?
Part 2) How is Irma different from the officials at the end of the play?
Part 3) Why has the the author changed Irma in a way that is different from the other characters?
Part 4) What is the meaning of the end of the play? Why is Irma left alone? Why is her monologue the way it is?
Essay Topic 3
Chantal was once a prostitute at the whorehouse.
Part 1) Why is she no longer working there?
Part 2) Is she successful at what she is doing now? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does she act as a symbol?
Part 4) What is her fate? What is the purpose of this?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)