|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gleam the girls see in the eyes of the men participating in the fantasies?
2. How much money does Carmen say the whorehouse has earned?
3. Who interrupts the men's argument?
4. What does the Third Man ask Chantal?
5. What does Irma feel for Carmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Irma wearing for the Chief of Police?
2. How does Irma feel about their fate?
3. What does the Queen say about the state of the country?
4. What is Carmen's role in the whorehouse?
5. Describe Armand's behavior.
6. What does the Envoy tell the Chief is being built and could be his?
7. Why is it difficult to retain prostitutes?
8. What does Carmen think of his ideas?
9. Who appears on the balcony?
10. What is the only thing Chantal wants to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roger is a rebel.
Part 1) What does he do for the rebellion? Is the rebellion well-represented through Roger? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does he become like the authorities? Why does he change?
Part 3) What rebel committee decision is he against? Why? Does he have a valid reason to be against this decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Irma is left alone on stage at the end of the play.
Part 1) To where have all the other characters gone? Why have they left?
Part 2) How is Irma different from the officials at the end of the play?
Part 3) Why has the the author changed Irma in a way that is different from the other characters?
Part 4) What is the meaning of the end of the play? Why is Irma left alone? Why is her monologue the way it is?
Essay Topic 3
Irma mentions two times that a prostitute is growing too close to a visitor.
Part 1) Why is this a problem?
Part 2) Of whom does this remind Irma? Why is she reminded of this person?
Part 3) How does this reveal more about Irma's character and feelings about being a prostitute, as well as her feelings towards the person of whom she is reminded?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)