|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Irma concerned about regarding the rebels?
(a) They are taking the game too seriously.
(b) They will kill the Queen.
(c) They will kill Chantal.
(d) They will not succeed.
2. What has happened to the Queen?
(a) She has joined the rebels.
(b) She has been kidnapped.
(c) She is in hiding.
(d) She hase been killed.
3. What will the rebels be occupying that evening?
(a) The power station.
(b) The woods outside of town.
(c) The Bastille.
(d) The town hall.
4. What type of reputation does The Balcony have?
(a) A local reputation for providing for fantasies.
(b) A worldwide reputation of excellence.
(c) A mediocre reputation.
(d) A poor reputation.
5. What ultimately makes Carmen unhappy?
(a) Chantal leaving.
(b) Dressing up as the Virgin Mary.
(c) The rebellion.
(d) Living in Irma's world of illusion.
6. How does the Chief of Police change the subject?
(a) He asks Irma if she will get rid of Arthur.
(b) He talks about how disturbing it is the have the Queen in hiding.
(c) He asks for details about what scenarios have gone on in the whorehouse.
(d) He contemplates what scenario he will have.
7. Why are these experiences important?
(a) They remain pure.
(b) They earn money for Irma.
(c) They are exciting.
(d) They provide a release for visitors.
8. How does Carmen feel after dressing up as the Virgin Mary for a bank clerk's fantasy?
(d) She feels spiritual pleasure.
9. What does Irma say will happen to her if the rebels succeed?
(a) She will go out of business.
(b) She will open another house.
(c) She will be very successful.
(d) She will have to change some of her business practices.
10. What does Irma notice about one of her prostitutes on the monitor?
(a) She is beating her visitor.
(b) She is getting too friendly with the visitor.
(c) She is leaving the room early.
(d) She is screaming.
11. Irma offers Carmen the opportunity to fulfill a man's fantasy by pretending to be what saint?
(a) Saint Elizabeth.
(b) Saint Theresa.
(c) Saint Ann.
(d) Saint Joan of Arc.
12. What does the Chief of Police vow?
(a) To be the ruler of the new country.
(b) To save the Queen.
(c) To join the rebellion.
(d) One day someone will pretend to be him.
13. Why is the Chief of Police disappointed?
(a) No one wants to pretend to be him.
(b) No one is doing a scenario today.
(c) His power is waning.
(d) There are no more costumes left for him to borrow.
14. Why does Georgette take over from Chantal?
(a) Chantal is thinking too much about what she is doing.
(b) Chantal's voice is becoming shaky.
(c) Chantal needs to leave Roger alone.
(d) Chantal is too upset.
15. What is the Bishop doing in the beginning of Scene 1?
(a) Declaiming his philosophy of faith.
(b) Saying a homily.
(c) Praying for the needy.
(d) Quoting scripture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Irma's reasoning for why the Chief has forgotten her and her needs?
2. Who comes in with the General's clothing?
3. How are the lives of the real Bishop, Judge, and General different from those that become them as part of a fantasy?
4. What is Arthur to pose as in a session that night?
5. What does Irma call Carmen when she says her daughter is more real?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)