|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts the men's argument?
2. What has happened to the Queen?
(a) She has joined the rebels.
(b) She has been kidnapped.
(c) She hase been killed.
(d) She is in hiding.
3. Why is Carmen thoughtful and sad?
(a) She is in love with Arthur.
(b) She is in love with one of her visitors.
(c) She is thinking about her daughter.
(d) She is worried about the rebels.
4. What is the gleam the girls see in the eyes of the men participating in the fantasies?
(d) Hopeful innocence.
5. What type of reputation does The Balcony have?
(a) A local reputation for providing for fantasies.
(b) A worldwide reputation of excellence.
(c) A mediocre reputation.
(d) A poor reputation.
6. Why does Irma have trouble replacing prostitutes?
(a) The girls do not want to role play.
(b) When they do not get paid on time.
(c) When what they are asked to do becomes too real.
(d) The girls do not like Irma.
7. What does the Chief demand from Irma?
(a) An apology.
(b) The receipts for the evening's business.
(c) A free scenario.
(d) Complete control of the whorehouse.
8. What does the conversation between Irma and Carmen reveal?
(a) Carmen is no longer employed by Irma.
(b) Irma insists on referring to the clients as visitors.
(c) Irma is in love with Arthur.
(d) Irma does not like working at the whore house.
9. How are the lives of the real Bishop, Judge, and General different from those that become them as part of a fantasy?
(a) They are not fantasies and much more important.
(b) They are easier.
(c) They are more real.
(d) They dirty the purity of their ideals by functioning in the real world.
10. What is no different than being a prostitute?
(a) Being a rebel.
(b) Being a singer.
(c) Being a nurse.
(d) Being a wife.
11. What is the rebels' control committee discussing?
(a) How to oust the Queen from her throne.
(b) The formation of a provisional government.
(c) What to do with all of the POWs.
(d) Where to hit the enemy next.
12. What does Irma feel for Carmen?
(a) A kind of tenderness.
13. What does the Third Man ask Chantal?
(a) Why she is dating Roger and not him.
(b) Why she is not out inspiring the men with her voice.
(c) Why she is not the one bandaging him.
(d) Why she decided to join the rebel cause.
14. What does the Chief say he will do when the rebellion is over?
(a) He will take Irma away with him.
(b) He will marry Irma.
(c) He will shut down the whorehouse.
(d) He will move back into the whorehouse.
15. How does Irma speak about her business?
(a) With guilt.
(b) With pride.
(c) With jealousy.
(d) With sadness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bishop repeatedly insist that the Young Woman do?
2. Why is it dangerous for people to be out in the streets?
3. How much money does Carmen say the whorehouse has earned?
4. What does the General insist, after Irma leaves and the Executioner comes looking for her?
5. When did Carmen feel real beauty?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)