|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carmen doing?
(a) Counting the income from the evening's activities.
(d) Writing a letter to her daughter.
2. What does Chantal say she is not cut out to be?
(a) Either a mother or a nurse.
(b) Either Roger or Luke's girlfriend.
(c) Either a singer or a prostitute.
(d) Either a nurse or a rebel.
3. How does Irma speak about her business?
(a) With jealousy.
(b) With sadness.
(c) With guilt.
(d) With pride.
4. What does the Chief say he will do when the rebellion is over?
(a) He will move back into the whorehouse.
(b) He will take Irma away with him.
(c) He will marry Irma.
(d) He will shut down the whorehouse.
5. What does Arthur's conversation with Irma reveal?
(a) They are part of the rebellion.
(b) They are husband and wife.
(c) They are lovers.
(d) They are siblings.
6. How is Arthur killed?
(a) The Chief kills him.
(b) A bullet comes through the window.
(c) Arthur falls down a flight of stairs.
(d) The prostitutes gang up on him.
7. What does Luke say his group of rebels needs?
(b) The committee to speak with them.
(c) More rations.
(d) Something to spur them back into action.
8. What does Irma say keeps happening, despite the revolution?
(a) There is less freedom.
(b) People keep coming to The Balcony.
(c) There is very little bombing.
(d) The government's soldiers keep dying.
9. What ultimately makes Carmen unhappy?
(a) Chantal leaving.
(b) Living in Irma's world of illusion.
(c) The rebellion.
(d) Dressing up as the Virgin Mary.
10. Why are these experiences important?
(a) They remain pure.
(b) They are exciting.
(c) They earn money for Irma.
(d) They provide a release for visitors.
11. What do both Irma and the Chief of Police know about the rebellion?
(a) It is weakening.
(b) It is evil.
(c) It is going to destroy the Queen's authority.
(d) It is a game.
12. Why does Irma worry about a prostitute's behavior?
(a) She might scare away visitors.
(b) She might injure a visitor.
(c) She might end up like Chantal.
(d) She is having a nervous breakdown.
13. How are the lives of the real Bishop, Judge, and General different from those that become them as part of a fantasy?
(a) They are not fantasies and much more important.
(b) They dirty the purity of their ideals by functioning in the real world.
(c) They are easier.
(d) They are more real.
14. What does the Third Man ask Chantal?
(a) Why she is not the one bandaging him.
(b) Why she decided to join the rebel cause.
(c) Why she is dating Roger and not him.
(d) Why she is not out inspiring the men with her voice.
15. What is the reason Irma gives for having Arthur around?
(a) Arthur insists on being there.
(b) Irma loves Arthur.
(c) The Chief insisted there be a man around.
(d) Arthur is Irma's friend and was in need of a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irma call Carmen when she says her daughter is more real?
2. What has happened to the Queen?
3. What does the Chief of Police vow?
4. What does Irma ask Carmen?
5. What kind of mission is Arthur about to go on?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)