|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Mike give to Kyra to calm her?
2. What device does the court stenographer use when Mike gives his deposition?
3. Who is the man who comes to Mike's house with a message written in Rogette's handwriting?
4. Mike sees an inordinate amount of the letters K and ______________ in the phone book.
5. Who is the attorney appointed to be guardian ad litem for Kyra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Mike make regarding Mattie and their relationship and how do his feelings for her ultimately save his life?
2. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
3. How is Kyra able to recall vivid details of the Fryeburg County Fair experience she shares with Mike?
4. What is the devastating effect of the shooter's gunfire at Mattie's house?
5. In what way do Max and Rogette terrorize Mike after his sensory experience regarding the young Negro boy?
6. What does Durgin try to get Mike to admit in a deposition?
7. What does Mattie fear that Max will do if he cannot win custody of Kyra?
8. What question does Kyra ask Mike at the party that is so poignant later on?
9. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
10. What is Mike's reaction to the tape of Rogette's voice that John plays in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sara Tidwell was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Sara's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of truth. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johanna. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)