|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mike end up in the lake near the Street?
2. What are ELFFs according to Mike?
3. What does Mike see written on his napkin at the restaurant?
4. As Mike takes an after dinner walk, he is overcome by a perception of _____________________.
5. How many doors do Mike and Kyra come to in the place in #125?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
2. What does Mattie fear that Max will do if he cannot win custody of Kyra?
3. What does Frank tell Mike about being with Jo at Sara Laughs shortly before she died?
4. What does Mike know that he has to do in order to quell Sara and Kito's spirits and whose spirits does he encounter at the scene of the murders?
5. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
6. Who does John Storrow invite to an impromptu party after hearing the good news about Mattie's inheritance?
7. What senses does Mike experience about a young boy as he walks along the lake?
8. What horrible acts is Mike driven to commit on Kyra and himself?
9. What question does Kyra ask Mike at the party that is so poignant later on?
10. What are some of the haunting events at Sara Laughs and why won't Mike leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Kyra. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Kyra's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Sara Tidwell was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Sara's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)