|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Elmer Durgin refer to Mattie as?
2. Who helps Mike get up onto the float?
3. What does Mike do for George Kennedy?
4. Which of the following ghosts does Kyra NOT see at Mike's cabin?
5. What secret does Mike share with John in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the devastating effect of the shooter's gunfire at Mattie's house?
2. In what way does Mike offer to help Mattie after she loses her job?
3. What does Bill tell Mike about why people don't like Mike's being back in the area?
4. How is Kyra able to recall vivid details of the Fryeburg County Fair experience she shares with Mike?
5. What question does Kyra ask Mike at the party that is so poignant later on?
6. Why does Mike categorize Elmer Durgin as an ELFF?
7. Why does Mike hear Jo screaming and what does he find in the plastic owls?
8. How does Mike find out about Max's suicide and what is the expected reaction from Mike and Mattie about the death?
9. Describe Mike's experience of "time travel" at the Fryeburg County Fair in 1900.
10. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain King's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What are some examples of grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johanna. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)