|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral does Mrs. Meserve advise Mike not to attend?
2. Whom does Mike encounter as he takes an after dinner walk?
3. What do George and Romeo give Mike as a memento of Mattie's case?
4. How many doors do Mike and Kyra come to in the place in #125?
5. With whom does Mike have lunch after his deposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kyra able to recall vivid details of the Fryeburg County Fair experience she shares with Mike?
2. Why does Mike hear Jo screaming and what does he find in the plastic owls?
3. What links all the deaths which have occurred on the TR?
4. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
5. What question does Kyra ask Mike at the party that is so poignant later on?
6. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
7. What does Mike know that he has to do in order to quell Sara and Kito's spirits and whose spirits does he encounter at the scene of the murders?
8. Why does Mike categorize Elmer Durgin as an ELFF?
9. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
10. What does Frank tell Mike about being with Jo at Sara Laughs shortly before she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Explain the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain King's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)