|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the private detective hired by Romeo Bissonette?
2. Who is the attorney appointed to be guardian ad litem for Kyra?
3. What medication does Mike give to Kyra?
4. Which of the following does Mike NOT hear when he returns home after giving his deposition?
5. Mike is awakened in the night to find _________________ in bed with him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Kyra ask Mike at the party that is so poignant later on?
2. What preoccupies Mike's mind regardless of all the supernatural things going on around him?
3. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
4. What links all the deaths which have occurred on the TR?
5. What does Kyra intuit at the Fryeburg County Fair scenario that Mike does not pick up on?
6. Why does Mike categorize Elmer Durgin as an ELFF?
7. Who does John Storrow invite to an impromptu party after hearing the good news about Mattie's inheritance?
8. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
9. What does Durgin try to get Mike to admit in a deposition?
10. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie Devore was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Mattie's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Mike learns from Bill Dean? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mike always recall about his experiences with Bill?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)