|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mike end up in the lake near the Street?
2. What do George and Romeo give Mike as a memento of Mattie's case?
3. Who did Jo not want Mike to talk to at the TR?
4. How does Mattie die?
5. Which of the following ghosts does Kyra NOT see at Mike's cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mike hear Jo screaming and what does he find in the plastic owls?
2. Why does Mike categorize Elmer Durgin as an ELFF?
3. Who does John Storrow invite to an impromptu party after hearing the good news about Mattie's inheritance?
4. What horrible acts is Mike driven to commit on Kyra and himself?
5. What does Mattie fear that Max will do if he cannot win custody of Kyra?
6. In what way do Max and Rogette terrorize Mike after his sensory experience regarding the young Negro boy?
7. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
8. What is the devastating effect of the shooter's gunfire at Mattie's house?
9. What does Bill tell Mike about why people don't like Mike's being back in the area?
10. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply BAG OF BONES? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in BAG OF BONES. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)