|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice does Mike hear encouraging him to swim for the float?
2. Mike can get whiffs of Jo's favorite perfume, ______________, as he investigates her studio.
3. What is Kyra doing when Mike returns to the cabin?
4. What does Mike see written on his napkin at the restaurant?
5. What name does Elmer Durgin refer to Mattie as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill tell Mike about why people don't like Mike's being back in the area?
2. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
3. What preoccupies Mike's mind regardless of all the supernatural things going on around him?
4. What horrible acts is Mike driven to commit on Kyra and himself?
5. In what way does Mike offer to help Mattie after she loses her job?
6. In what way do Max and Rogette terrorize Mike after his sensory experience regarding the young Negro boy?
7. Why does Mike hear Jo screaming and what does he find in the plastic owls?
8. What senses does Mike experience about a young boy as he walks along the lake?
9. What does Durgin try to get Mike to admit in a deposition?
10. How does Jo help Mike during his assault by Max and Rogette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of truth. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain King's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)