|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands that Mike relinquish Kyra at the fair?
2. Mike is sure that it is _____________ voice saying, "Oh Mike, Oh Mike."
3. What does Rogette throw at Mike?
4. Jared Devore's ghost tells Mike that he and his friends killed Sara and her son because _______________________.
5. What is Sara wearing as she sings at the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mike hear Jo screaming and what does he find in the plastic owls?
2. Why does Mike struggle with the feelings that are growing for Mattie?
3. What horrible acts is Mike driven to commit on Kyra and himself?
4. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
5. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
6. How is Kyra able to recall vivid details of the Fryeburg County Fair experience she shares with Mike?
7. What does Durgin try to get Mike to admit in a deposition?
8. How does Mike find out about Max's suicide and what is the expected reaction from Mike and Mattie about the death?
9. Describe Mike's experience of "time travel" at the Fryeburg County Fair in 1900.
10. In what way does Mike offer to help Mattie after she loses her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sara Tidwell. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Mattie Devore was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Mattie's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)