|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Elmer Durgin refer to Mattie as?
2. How does Mike feel at the news of Devore's death?
3. What happens to the vehicle carrying the man who shot at Mattie and her guests?
4. What does Mattie send George to the store to get?
5. Who was Sara's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kyra able to recall vivid details of the Fryeburg County Fair experience she shares with Mike?
2. What does Mike know that he has to do in order to quell Sara and Kito's spirits and whose spirits does he encounter at the scene of the murders?
3. What senses does Mike experience about a young boy as he walks along the lake?
4. Why does Mike struggle with the feelings that are growing for Mattie?
5. What does Frank tell Mike about being with Jo at Sara Laughs shortly before she died?
6. What is significant about the sudden disappearance of the refrigerator magnets?
7. What are some of the haunting events at Sara Laughs and why won't Mike leave?
8. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
9. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
10. What links all the deaths which have occurred on the TR?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen King is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Sara Tidwell was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Sara's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Explain the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)