|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mike see written on his napkin at the restaurant?
2. As Mike takes an after dinner walk, he is overcome by a perception of _____________________.
3. What does Mike pour over the bones he digs up?
4. The event in #121 takes place in what year?
5. What does Rogette throw at Mike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill tell Mike about why people don't like Mike's being back in the area?
2. What does Mike learn about the deaths of Sara and Kito and why does Jo urge him back to Sara Laughs after he has poured the lye over the bones?
3. Who does John Storrow invite to an impromptu party after hearing the good news about Mattie's inheritance?
4. What decision does Mike make regarding Mattie and their relationship and how do his feelings for her ultimately save his life?
5. In what way do Max and Rogette terrorize Mike after his sensory experience regarding the young Negro boy?
6. What are some of the haunting events at Sara Laughs and why won't Mike leave?
7. Why does Mrs. Meserve resign as Mike's housekeeper and what is Mike's reaction to her resignation?
8. How does Mike find out about Max's suicide and what is the expected reaction from Mike and Mattie about the death?
9. What senses does Mike experience about a young boy as he walks along the lake?
10. In what way does Mike offer to help Mattie after she loses her job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What are some examples of grief? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Mike learns from Bill Dean? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mike always recall about his experiences with Bill?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Kyra. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Kyra's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)