|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of his does Mike find in Jo's studio?
2. How old was Mike when he had a high temperature from the measles and hallucinated?
3. Why does Mike visit Jo's studio in Chapter 11?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Mike's selves in his hallucination?
5. Why does Mattie call Mike in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mike hope to capture on the dictaphone and what sound is actually recorded?
2. What is Max Devore's purpose for calling Mike at home on the Fourth of July?
3. What makes Mike realize that he must return to Sara Laughs?
4. Where does Mike go on his first vacation without Jo and what realization does he come to there?
5. Who is the protagonist of the story and what tragedy befalls his wife very early in the story?
6. What does Mattie tell Mike is the reason she is in such a good mood after talking to John Storrow?
7. Had Johanna told anyone else about her pregnancy?
8. When does Mike begin to notice something odd about the magnets on the refrigerator door?
9. What is Mike's profession and how does his work suffer after the death of his wife?
10. What physical symptoms does Mike have during writer's block?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sara Tidwell. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply BAG OF BONES? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Sara Tidwell was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you about Sara's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)