|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Mattie Devore married?
2. Where had Mike stored his manuscripts?
3. How much does John Storrow say his legal fees will cost Mike at a minimum?
4. From what does Mike suffer in Chapter 3?
5. What project is Mike working on when Johanna dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike meet Mattie and Kyra Devore and why is the meeting emotionally difficult for him?
2. When do Mike's nightmares begin?
3. What makes Mike realize that he must return to Sara Laughs?
4. What is Mike's profession and how does his work suffer after the death of his wife?
5. What does Mike send his editor who pushes for the completion of his fourth book?
6. What does Mike find unusual about Mattie's statement about not calling again when he is working?
7. Where does Mike go on his first vacation without Jo and what realization does he come to there?
8. What physical symptoms does Mike have during writer's block?
9. Who is the protagonist of the story and what tragedy befalls his wife very early in the story?
10. Who is Bill Dean and what role does he serve in Mike's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Mike learns from Bill Dean? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mike always recall about his experiences with Bill?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Kyra. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Kyra's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain King's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)