|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Max Devore made his fortune in which industry?
2. How much time does Mike have to submit his new novel?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
3. What thought does Mike have when he wakes up from his nightmares?
4. For what reason does John Storrow admonish Mike when he calls?
(a) Agreeing to pay Mattie's attorney fees.
(b) Not calling him when he promised to.
(c) For calling him at home.
(d) Going to Mattie's house for dinner.
5. What is Mike's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the caretaker of the Sara Laughs cottage?
2. What ritual does Mike do after the completion of his novel?
3. Bill tells Mike that he was at the cabin when Johanna received a shipment of _______________.
4. What became Sara Tidwell's married name?
5. What superstitious habit did Mike and Johanna have when he finished a book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state of mind does Mike bring the Selectric typewriter to his office and what does he think is the reason?
2. When does Mike begin to notice something odd about the magnets on the refrigerator door?
3. What made Max file for custody of Kyra?
4. Why does Mike think that there must not be a connection between Mattie and Max Devore, a wealthy man in the area?
5. What is Mike's demeanor when he spends Christmas with Jo's family, the Arlens?
6. Does Mike's nightmare of arriving at Sara Laughs come true when Mike finally does arrive at the cottage?
7. What makes Mike realize that he must return to Sara Laughs?
8. Who is the protagonist of the story and what tragedy befalls his wife very early in the story?
9. How does Mike meet Mattie and Kyra Devore and why is the meeting emotionally difficult for him?
10. What is Max Devore's purpose for calling Mike at home on the Fourth of July?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)