|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mike sees an old woman at the dock who is so thin he calls her a _____________________ in his mind.
(a) Bag of bones.
(b) Pogo stick.
(c) Stick figure.
(d) Bean pole.
2. From what does Mike suffer in Chapter 3?
(a) Panic attacks.
(c) Joint pain.
(d) Writer's block.
3. What sound does Mike hear when he wakes in the middle of the night?
(a) A siren.
(b) A child crying.
(c) A telephone ringing.
(d) A dog barking.
4. When is the last time Mike sees his wife?
(a) August of 2001.
(b) August of 1994.
(c) August of 1969.
(d) August of 1989.
5. Who is Johanna's favorite brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What device does Mike find in his office at the cabin?
2. What was the name of Sara Tidwell's band?
3. What favor does Mattie ask of Mike?
4. Who does Kyra call her "white nana"?
5. How long has Johanna been dead when Mike returns to Sara Laughs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Mattie tried to cooperate with Max regarding Kyra?
2. What does Mike hope to capture on the dictaphone and what sound is actually recorded?
3. Describe Mike's first encounter and communication with a spirit in the house.
4. Who is John Storrow and what is his role in Mike's life?
5. What does Mike find unusual about Mattie's statement about not calling again when he is working?
6. Why is Mike surprised by his budding friendship with Mattie?
7. What makes Mike realize that he must return to Sara Laughs?
8. In what state of mind does Mike bring the Selectric typewriter to his office and what does he think is the reason?
9. Who is the protagonist of the story and what tragedy befalls his wife very early in the story?
10. What disturbing sound does Mike hear in his house during the night?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)