|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1980s, circulation of traditional women's magazines is down sharply with <i>Good Housekeeping</i> the worst off and <i>Working Woman</i> the best off. To what does Faludi attribute the relative success of <i>Working Woman</i>?
(a) <i>Working Woman</i> has a better system of distribution.
(b) Executives at <i>Working Woman</i> focus on traditional female roles, which is what readers want.
(c) Surveys show that <i>Working Woman</i> has many more loyal readers.
(d) The magazine is concentrating on career women's needs.
2. Faludi asserts that under the Reagan administration which of the following are pressured to generate data that fit the war on women's independence?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau demographers.
(b) University researchers.
(c) U.S. Department of Education statisticians.
(d) Media organizations receiving federal grants.
3. What outlet first declares that women's chances of conceiving drops not after age forty but after thirty?
(a) U.S. Census Bureau.
(b) <i>The New England Journal of Medicine</i>.
(c) French researchers Schwartz and Mayaux.
(d) U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.
4. In the book <i>Backlash</i>, attackers of the feminist movement are described as working to put women back in their "proper" place _________________ and __________.
(a) Relationally, traditionally.
(b) Psychologically, physically.
(c) Morally, ethnologically.
(d) Physiologically, emotionally.
5. _________ and ________, two demographers at the Census Bureau, re-run the Harvard-Yale study using 1980 data and find a major flaw in the study and its calculations.
(a) Jeanne Moorman, Robert Fay.
(b) Neil Bennett, David Bloom.
(c) Patricia Craig, Neil Bennett.
(d) David Bloom, Jeanne Moorman.
Short Answer Questions
1. By questioning whether the "backlash" is a new phenomenon, some social observers admit that there has been:
2. Which author publishes a 922-page compendium in which 4,500 women despair about not being treated as equals by mates?
3. Who casts his wife in the demeaning role of an unsmiling female doctor who clutches her book about obsession and compulsion?
4. Television assaults the women's movement less than Hollywood movies; Faludi states that this is because of what factor?
5. The author writes that the feminist movement is blamed for all the evil in ________ society.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)