|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Elsie and Grace drinking?
2. What did Howie suggest that Dave not do?
3. What vehicle did they drive to the bingo hall?
4. What made Kate feel less vulnerable?
5. What does Elsie use to mash potatoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was David considering buying Kate three Porsches?
2. Why does David want to teach Kate how to play football?
3. How was it evident that Dave loved Kate?
4. How did Kate look to Dave?
5. What made Kate feel more secure in her own home?
6. What made Kate furious?
7. What was David making for dinner and who all was invited for dinner?
8. Why did Howie blush?
9. How did Dave feel about rattling Kate's composure every once in awhile.
10. Why was it okay in David's mind to be tuned out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the kitten Kate lost represent to her? What literary device is this? What did it mean to Kate when she had lost it? Do you think this is a normal reaction? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Elsie and the Old Cadillac belonging to Gus are perfect symbols. What do they symbolize and why? Look for contrasting symbols and try to explain what you think the author could have meant by using these symbols.
Essay Topic 3
Try to provide a reason why some people are work-a-holics. In what ways can working too hard contribute to a shorter life span? What kinds of health defects can occur from not taking proper care of oneself? Explain some ways people reduce stress after working very hard.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)