|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Kate breaking her leg?
2. What kind of food did Kate want with her bingo winnings?
3. What color and kind of car were the people making sure they got on camera?
4. What had Kate written in the dust on her bureau?
5. What did Dave think Kate thought about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Kate mad at David?
2. Why did the word "disaster" hover at the forefront of Kate's mind in regards to dinner?
3. Why does David want to teach Kate how to play football?
4. Why was David considering buying Kate three Porsches?
5. In what ways did Kate feel like she had fallen down the rabbit hole?
6. What was David making for dinner and who all was invited for dinner?
7. What was the difference between the way Dave held Kate and the way Anatole held her?
8. What made Kate furious?
9. Why did Howie and Slik show up at David's house?
10. How did Dave know who the camera belonged to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In terms of literature, what kind of character is Kate? What about Dave? Could both be considered the same kind of character? Why or why not? Is Kate the only kind of character like this in the novel? If so, why do you think that is? If not, who else can be considered to possess the same character description?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Elsie and the Old Cadillac belonging to Gus are perfect symbols. What do they symbolize and why? Look for contrasting symbols and try to explain what you think the author could have meant by using these symbols.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of thoughts plagued Kate's mind after she woke up the morning after the dinner party? How are these thoughts reasonable? How are they the mark of a woman running scared from her last marriage? How are they likely the affect of a traumatic dinner party the night before? Do you think Kate is being reasonable? Why or why not?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)