|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Myron tell about the fight between Carl and Esperanza?
2. Who does Myron suspect might have known about the affair with Esme and Chad?
3. With whom does Jack have an affair?
4. Where does Myron meet with Esme?
5. What is Myron curious about regarding Lloyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising information do Carl and the motel maid give to Myron?
2. Why does Myron not call the police after he discovers Tito's dead body?
3. What surprising information does Linda reveal about being Chad's mother.
4. What information does Matt give Myron about Chad's affair and his own activities related to the kidnapping?
5. What does Linda tell Myron about what happened last night on the night of Jack's murder?
6. What is Esme's explanation of the affair with Chad?
7. What true story does Chad tell after Myron protests that Chad is lying about his account of the kidnapping?
8. What motive would Norm have had to kill Jack and kidnap Chad?
9. How does Myron find Tito's house and unfortunately, Tito's dead body?
10. Explain Esperanza's theory of the kidnapping.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Chad's severed finger. What does it signify? What role does it play in the story? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)