|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cissy adamant about seeing Win now?
2. How much money does Esperanza give the bartender for information about Tito?
3. Who does Reginald say that Matt saw looking at Chad's car in the parking lot of the Court Manor Inn?
4. What was Carl's former profession?
5. What item does Myron find in Tito's truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Esperanza's theory of the kidnapping.
2. What motive would Norm have had to kill Jack and kidnap Chad?
3. Why does Myron not call the police after he discovers Tito's dead body?
4. How does Myron find Tito's house and unfortunately, Tito's dead body?
5. Explain why Tad has multiple motives in Jack's murder.
6. Why is Linda a suspect in Jack's murder?
7. What information is Esperanza able to find on Lloyd Rennart?
8. How does Myron secure a meeting with Lloyd Rennart's widow?
9. What is the only situation in the book where the author changes point of view from Myron to another character?
10. How does the author portray teenagers in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Myron. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)