|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lloyd Rennart's widow's profession?
2. What is Jack's reason for filing for divorce from Linda?
3. What is Tito's condition when Myron finds him?
4. Why is Chad taken to the doctor?
5. With whom does Jack have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motive would Norm have had to kill Jack and kidnap Chad?
2. What conclusion does Myron come to regarding the kidnapping at this point?
3. Why does Myron not call the police after he discovers Tito's dead body?
4. What information is Esperanza able to find on Lloyd Rennart?
5. Describe the encounter between Myron and Win's mother, Cissy Lockwood.
6. Describe Esperanza's encounter in the biker bar.
7. Why is Linda a suspect in Jack's murder?
8. What is Reginald's reaction when Myron tells him about Chad's kidnapping?
9. What surprising information does Linda reveal about being Chad's mother.
10. What is the only situation in the book where the author changes point of view from Myron to another character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Win. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)