|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Myron go at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What is Lloyd Rennart's widow's profession?
3. Why did Jack and Linda once hire Diane Hoffman?
4. What can Myron tell about the fight between Carl and Esperanza?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about the envelope in which Chad's finger was found?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myron secure a meeting with Lloyd Rennart's widow?
2. Describe the encounter Myron and Esperanza have with Reginald Squires, Carl, and some other thugs.
3. What does Francine tell Myron about Lloyd after Myron reveals who he really is?
4. What is Esme's explanation of the affair with Chad?
5. How does the author portray teenagers in the book?
6. What is the shocking news that Linda gives Jack when she phones him?
7. Describe the encounter between Myron and Win's mother, Cissy Lockwood.
8. What true story does Chad tell after Myron protests that Chad is lying about his account of the kidnapping?
9. Explain why Tad has multiple motives in Jack's murder.
10. What does Linda tell Myron about what happened last night on the night of Jack's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Coben use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Myron, Linda, Chad, and Win. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)