|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Chad spend the night at the hotel?
2. Who does Reginald say was the person who climbed out of Chad's bedroom window?
3. Which of the following does Esme NOT confirm about Lloyd Rennart?
4. Who is the girl that tipped off Crusty?
5. Which of the following does Myron NOT find among Lloyd Rennart's personal effects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author portray teenagers in the book?
2. Describe the encounter between Myron and Win's mother, Cissy Lockwood.
3. Why does Myron not call the police after he discovers Tito's dead body?
4. What information does Matt give Myron about Chad's affair and his own activities related to the kidnapping?
5. What is Esme's explanation of the affair with Chad?
6. What is the shocking news that Linda gives Jack when she phones him?
7. What is the only situation in the book where the author changes point of view from Myron to another character?
8. What information is Esperanza able to find on Lloyd Rennart?
9. Why is Linda a suspect in Jack's murder?
10. Where is Myron looking when he realizes that he has solved the crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jack What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)