|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the maid that Carl introduces to Myron?
2. Which of the following is NOT a suspect in Jack's murder?
3. Myron names two of Tito's friends "Escape" and ____________.
4. Why does Myron call Francine Rennart again?
5. What is Jack's reason for filing for divorce from Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Esperanza's encounter in the biker bar.
2. What true story does Chad tell after Myron protests that Chad is lying about his account of the kidnapping?
3. What information is Esperanza able to find on Lloyd Rennart?
4. What does Linda tell Myron about what happened last night on the night of Jack's murder?
5. How does Myron find Tito's house and unfortunately, Tito's dead body?
6. What is the only situation in the book where the author changes point of view from Myron to another character?
7. Explain why Tad has multiple motives in Jack's murder.
8. What surprising information does Linda reveal about being Chad's mother.
9. How does Myron secure a meeting with Lloyd Rennart's widow?
10. What is Reginald's reaction when Myron tells him about Chad's kidnapping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Chad's severed finger. What does it signify? What role does it play in the story? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Coben use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
BACK SPIN is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)