|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amount of "penalty" does the kidnapper demand because Esme is in the house?
2. Who does Win say may be joining them for dinner?
3. What is the name of Win's financial services business?
4. Who is Matt Squires?
5. Who used to be Jack's caddy over twenty years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myron finally get the information he wants about Chad being at the motel?
2. What information are the girls at the mall able to give Myron about the man who made a call from the phone booth?
3. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
4. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
5. What nicknames does Myron come up with for the neo-Nazi and his cohorts?
6. What is Win's opinion of Jack's ability to win the U.S. Open?
7. Summarize the plot of BACK SPIN.
8. What does Myron find out about the Squires family from Sheriff Courter in New Jersey?
9. How do Myron's emotions tend to cloud his judgment?
10. Who is Stuart Lipwitz and how does Myron come in contact with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Coben use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Chad's severed finger. What does it signify? What role does it play in the story? Why did the author choose this item?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)