|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first clue Myron gets related to Chad's disappearance?
2. About whom does the kidnapper make a derogatory racial comment?
3. What recording does Linda play at the start of Chapter 7?
4. Who is Matt Squires?
5. What identifying mark did the man at the phone booth have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the activity that occurs as Myron watches the Coldrens' house.
2. How do Myron's emotions tend to cloud his judgment?
3. What information are the girls at the mall able to give Myron about the man who made a call from the phone booth?
4. Why does Linda Coldren tell Myron that they need his help?
5. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
6. What is Myron's relationship with Linda and how is it complicated by his being away from Jessica?
7. Explain how Myron goes about his investigation.
8. How does Myron finally get the information he wants about Chad being at the motel?
9. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
10. Who are Norm Zuckerman and Esme Fong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)