|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Win brought home with him?
2. At which golf course does Myron Bolitar watch the U.S. Open match?
3. What does Linda reveal is the state of her relationship with Jack?
4. What relation is Win to Linda Coldren?
5. What is Reginald Squires' criminal name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Myron's relationship with Linda and how is it complicated by his being away from Jessica?
2. What does Myron find out about the Squires family from Sheriff Courter in New Jersey?
3. Explain how Myron goes about his investigation.
4. What does Myron do to get Stuart Lipwitz to talk to him about whether Chad has stayed at the motel?
5. What is the trail of activity that points to Esme as the kidnapper?
6. Why does Jack's partner Win refuse to help with the kidnapping investigation?
7. What information is Myron able to find about the neo-Nazis who beat him up?
8. Explain Esperanza's theory of the kidnapping.
9. What is the only situation in the book where the author changes point of view from Myron to another character?
10. How does Esme react when Myron confronts her about being involved with Chad?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Chad's severed finger. What does it signify? What role does it play in the story? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 3
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)