|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the video tape that Win gives to Myron?
2. What TV program is Esperanza watching when Myron returns to the guest house?
3. Who is Myron's assistant?
4. Who is the woman that Myron dates?
5. Who used to be Jack's caddy over twenty years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is Myron able to find about the neo-Nazis who beat him up?
2. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
3. How does Myron finally get the information he wants about Chad being at the motel?
4. Describe the circumstances of the next ransom call.
5. Who is Tad Crispin?
6. Who are Norm Zuckerman and Esme Fong?
7. How does Jack respond the Myron's assertion that the motive for Chad's kidnapping could be to prevent Jack from winning the tournament?
8. What is Myron's relationship with Linda and how is it complicated by his being away from Jessica?
9. What does Myron do to get Stuart Lipwitz to talk to him about whether Chad has stayed at the motel?
10. Why does Linda Coldren tell Myron that they need his help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Coben uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)