|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Myron's assistant?
2. What did the girls think the man at the phone booth had in his hand?
3. Where did the kidnappers call Jack?
4. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
5. Where had Esme worked before coming to work for Norm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter Myron and Esperanza have with Reginald Squires, Carl, and some other thugs.
2. Who is the mysterious person who climbs out of Chad Coldren's bedroom window?
3. What is Jack's history with the U.S. Open Tournament?
4. How do the mall girls lead Myron to a clue about the neo-Nazi who beat him up?
5. Who are Norm Zuckerman and Esme Fong?
6. What is Win's opinion of Jack's ability to win the U.S. Open?
7. Describe the circumstances of the next ransom call.
8. How does Jack respond the Myron's assertion that the motive for Chad's kidnapping could be to prevent Jack from winning the tournament?
9. What does Francine tell Myron about Lloyd after Myron reveals who he really is?
10. Why does Myron not call the police after he discovers Tito's dead body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Linda. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Myron, Linda, Chad, and Win. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)