|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Win's estranged mother?
2. Which of the following is NOT included in the girls' description of the man at the mall phone booth?
3. What identifying mark did the man at the phone booth have?
4. Who is playing against Jack when Myron shows up at the Merion Golf Club?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myron first get involved with Jack and Linda Coldren?
2. Who does Zoom sign on as spokespeople for their clothing lines?
3. Why does Jack's partner Win refuse to help with the kidnapping investigation?
4. What is Win's opinion of Jack's ability to win the U.S. Open?
5. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
6. What nicknames does Myron come up with for the neo-Nazi and his cohorts?
7. Explain how Myron goes about his investigation.
8. What information are the girls at the mall able to give Myron about the man who made a call from the phone booth?
9. How does the author show that Win is a troubled character?
10. Who is Stuart Lipwitz and how does Myron come in contact with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BACK SPIN is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)