|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Norm's golf clothing line?
2. Which of the following is NOT included in the girls' description of the man at the mall phone booth?
3. How does Myron try to blackmail Stuart Lipwitz?
4. What amount of "penalty" does the kidnapper demand because Esme is in the house?
5. Who is Win's estranged mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the next ransom call.
2. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
3. How does the author show that Win is a troubled character?
4. Explain how Myron goes about his investigation.
5. What is Jack's history with the U.S. Open Tournament?
6. What information about Jack's former caddy, Lloyd Rennart, has Esperanza discovered?
7. What information is Myron able to find about the neo-Nazis who beat him up?
8. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
9. Explain some of the activity that occurs as Myron watches the Coldrens' house.
10. Who is Tad Crispin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book BACK SPIN? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
BACK SPIN is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)