|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the video tape that Win gives to Myron?
2. Who is Jack and Linda's son?
3. About whom does the kidnapper make a derogatory racial comment?
4. In what city is Myron Bolitar when BACK SPIN begins?
5. Who is playing against Jack when Myron shows up at the Merion Golf Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Myron's emotions tend to cloud his judgment?
2. Explain some of the activity that occurs as Myron watches the Coldrens' house.
3. How does Jack respond the Myron's assertion that the motive for Chad's kidnapping could be to prevent Jack from winning the tournament?
4. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
5. Who is the mysterious person who climbs out of Chad Coldren's bedroom window?
6. How does Myron first get involved with Jack and Linda Coldren?
7. What information about Jack's former caddy, Lloyd Rennart, has Esperanza discovered?
8. What does Myron find out about the Squires family from Sheriff Courter in New Jersey?
9. Why does Linda Coldren tell Myron that they need his help?
10. Describe the circumstances of the next ransom call.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Chad's severed finger. What does it signify? What role does it play in the story? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)