|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country did Lloyd Rennart kill himself?
2. Which of the following is NOT true about Esperanza?
3. What kind of car does Win drive?
4. What are Myron's plans for the kidnapper's calls?
5. Who is Myron's business partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Win is a troubled character?
2. Describe the circumstances of the next ransom call.
3. What is Win's opinion of Jack's ability to win the U.S. Open?
4. Why does Jack's partner Win refuse to help with the kidnapping investigation?
5. Explain some of the activity that occurs as Myron watches the Coldrens' house.
6. Summarize the plot of BACK SPIN.
7. What does Myron do to get Stuart Lipwitz to talk to him about whether Chad has stayed at the motel?
8. What information are the girls at the mall able to give Myron about the man who made a call from the phone booth?
9. Who does Zoom sign on as spokespeople for their clothing lines?
10. What are the circumstances of the second ransom call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)