|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myron want to get involved in the kidnapping case?
2. Why does Tad want to hire Win?
3. What does Norm wonder about Esme?
4. Where has the suspect been spotted?
5. What relation is Win to Linda Coldren?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Esme's real motive for kidnapping Chad and how did Myron figure it out?
2. Why does Linda Coldren tell Myron that they need his help?
3. Describe Esperanza's encounter in the biker bar.
4. What is Linda's involvement in Jack's death?
5. What surprising information does Linda reveal about being Chad's mother.
6. Explain Esperanza's theory of the kidnapping.
7. What motive would Norm have had to kill Jack and kidnap Chad?
8. What is Myron's theory about the kidnapping at this point?
9. What does Myron tell Victoria and Linda about Lloyd Rennart?
10. Why is Linda a suspect in Jack's murder?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time BACK SPIN was written in 1997. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred, including both positive and negative?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)