|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Myron not see Matthew?
2. Myron calls Sheriff Jack Courter in the state of _________________ to ask about the Squire family.
3. What kind of car does Win drive?
4. Which of the following is NOT true about Esperanza?
5. Who does Myron want to get involved in the kidnapping case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Norm Zuckerman and Esme Fong?
2. Why does Linda Coldren tell Myron that they need his help?
3. What is Myron's relationship with Linda and how is it complicated by his being away from Jessica?
4. How does the author show that Myron is afraid of commitment, both personally and professionally?
5. How do Myron's emotions tend to cloud his judgment?
6. What information are the girls at the mall able to give Myron about the man who made a call from the phone booth?
7. What information about Jack's former caddy, Lloyd Rennart, has Esperanza discovered?
8. What nicknames does Myron come up with for the neo-Nazi and his cohorts?
9. What is Jack's history with the U.S. Open Tournament?
10. Why does Jack's partner Win refuse to help with the kidnapping investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
BACK SPIN is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are single and accomplished women, Esme and Esperanza seem very different. Compare and contrast Esme and Esperanza. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)