|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
2. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
3. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
4. When he could not see the women well, what did Pentheus do?
5. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
How does Dionysus influence Pentheus throughout the play? Does Dionysus's influence over Pentheus change as the play continues? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)