|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
2. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
3. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
4. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
5. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the book to support your answer, explain how the main character Dionysus affects the play's structure.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dionysus influence Pentheus throughout the play? Does Dionysus's influence over Pentheus change as the play continues? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)