|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
2. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
3. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
4. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
5. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play represent the contrast between individual freedoms and societal expectations? Provide examples and evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)