|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
2. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
3. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
4. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
5. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dionysus influence Pentheus throughout the play? Does Dionysus's influence over Pentheus change as the play continues? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)