|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
2. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
3. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
4. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
5. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Agave and Cadmus represent the opinions and attitudes of the audience? Support your answer with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Describe, using examples from the play, what role revenge has in the play and how revenge is portrayed.
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)