|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
2. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
3. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
4. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
5. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 2
How do Agave and Cadmus represent the opinions and attitudes of the audience? Support your answer with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the messengers in the play? What do they do; what do they symbolize? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)