|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
2. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
3. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
4. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
5. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? Using examples from the book, describe at least two examples of foreshadowing.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)