|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
2. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
3. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
4. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
5. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between the blindness Pentheus suffers and the blindness Tiresius suffers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 3
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)