|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
2. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
3. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
4. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
5. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 2
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)