Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
2. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
3. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
4. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
2. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
3. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
4. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
5. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
6. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
7. Who does the cult think they are following?
8. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
9. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
10. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)