|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
3. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
4. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
5. Who is Pentheus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
2. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
3. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
4. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
5. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
6. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
7. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
8. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
9. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
10. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Chorus? Using examples from the book describe how the Chorus fulfills this role.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
Describe, using examples from the play, what role revenge has in the play and how revenge is portrayed.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)