|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Axius?
2. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
3. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
4. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
2. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
3. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
4. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
5. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
6. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
7. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
8. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
9. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
10. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 2
How does Dionysus influence Pentheus throughout the play? Does Dionysus's influence over Pentheus change as the play continues? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? Using examples from the book, describe at least two examples of foreshadowing.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)