|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
2. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
3. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
4. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
5. What is the Parodos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
2. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
3. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
4. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
5. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
6. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
7. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
8. Who composes the Chorus?
9. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
10. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? Using examples from the book, describe at least two examples of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)