|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
2. What is the Axius?
3. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
5. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
2. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
3. What is the king obsessed with?
4. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
5. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
6. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
7. Who composes the Chorus?
8. What story does the Parados tell?
9. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
10. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of having the women defeat the men in the battle? Support your answer with examples form the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the Chorus? Using examples from the book describe how the Chorus fulfills this role.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)