|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Axius?
2. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
3. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
4. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
5. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
2. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
3. What is the king obsessed with?
4. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
5. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
6. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
7. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
8. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
9. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
10. Who does the cult think they are following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between the blindness Pentheus suffers and the blindness Tiresius suffers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the play represent the contrast between individual freedoms and societal expectations? Provide examples and evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)