|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
2. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
3. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
4. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
5. Who is Dionysus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the second messenger report?
2. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
3. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
4. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
5. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
6. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
7. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
8. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
9. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
10. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? Using examples from the book, describe at least two examples of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)