|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
2. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
3. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
4. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
2. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
3. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
4. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
5. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
6. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
7. Who does the cult think they are following?
8. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
9. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
10. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
Essay Topic 1
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of having the women defeat the men in the battle? Support your answer with examples form the play.
Essay Topic 3
Using the book to support your answer, explain how the main character Dionysus affects the play's structure.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)