|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
2. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
3. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
4. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
5. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
2. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
3. What story does the Parados tell?
4. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
5. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
6. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
7. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
8. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
9. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
10. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? Using examples from the book, describe at least two examples of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of having the women defeat the men in the battle? Support your answer with examples form the play.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)