|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that Dionysus makes his followers laugh away what?
2. Who is Dionysus's father?
3. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
4. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
5. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
2. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
3. What story does the Parados tell?
4. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
5. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
6. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
7. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
8. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
9. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
10. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of having the women defeat the men in the battle? Support your answer with examples form the play.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)