|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
2. What is Semele?
3. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
5. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
2. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
3. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
4. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
5. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
6. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
7. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
8. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
9. What is the thyrsus?
10. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the Chorus? Using examples from the book describe how the Chorus fulfills this role.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)