|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
2. Who is the writer of this play?
3. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
4. What is Semele?
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
2. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
3. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
4. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
5. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
6. Who composes the Chorus?
7. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
8. What is the Parodos?
9. How is the Chorus similar to the positions of Tiresius and Cadmus?
10. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 3
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)