|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
2. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
3. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
4. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
5. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
2. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
3. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
4. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
5. Who is Tiresius?
6. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
7. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
8. Who does the cult think they are following?
9. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
10. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 2
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, using examples from the play, what role revenge has in the play and how revenge is portrayed.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)