|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
2. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
3. What is the Parodos?
4. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
5. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
2. How is the Chorus similar to the positions of Tiresius and Cadmus?
3. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
4. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
5. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
6. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
7. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
8. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
9. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
10. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the book to support your answer, explain how the main character Dionysus affects the play's structure.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the play represent the contrast between individual freedoms and societal expectations? Provide examples and evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)