|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
2. What is the Axius?
3. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
4. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
5. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
2. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
3. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
4. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
5. What is the king obsessed with?
6. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
7. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
8. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
9. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
10. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
Essay Topic 1
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 2
How do Agave and Cadmus represent the opinions and attitudes of the audience? Support your answer with evidence from the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the Chorus? Using examples from the book describe how the Chorus fulfills this role.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)