|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
2. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
3. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
4. Pentheus holds what title?
5. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
2. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
3. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
4. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
6. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
7. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
8. What story does the Parados tell?
9. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
10. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is animal imagery used in the play? Provide at least three examples of animal imagery and what they represents.
Essay Topic 2
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)