|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
2. What is Semele?
3. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
4. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
5. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
2. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
3. What story does the Parados tell?
4. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
5. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
6. What was the wish Zeus granted Semele?
7. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
8. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
9. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
10. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 3
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)