|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
2. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
3. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
4. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
5. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
2. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
3. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
4. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
5. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
6. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
7. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
8. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
9. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
10. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)