|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
2. What is the Axius?
3. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
4. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
5. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
2. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
3. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
4. Who composes the Chorus?
5. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
6. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
7. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
8. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
9. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
10. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 3
What are the four types of irony? Which irony is present in the discussions between Dionysus and Pentheus? Find at least two examples of irony in their discussions, and describe what the examples mean.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)