|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
2. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
3. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
4. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
5. According to the Chorus, who is Zeus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
2. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
3. What is the thyrsus?
4. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
5. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
6. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
7. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
8. What was the wish Zeus granted Semele?
9. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
10. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
Essay Topic 1
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Chorus? Using examples from the book describe how the Chorus fulfills this role.
Essay Topic 3
Describe, using examples from the play, what role revenge has in the play and how revenge is portrayed.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)