|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
2. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
3. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
4. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
5. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tiresius?
2. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
3. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
4. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
5. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
6. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
7. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
8. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
9. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
10. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples from the book, explain how Dionysus displays his divinity even while in human form. What message do these actions send about the divine?
Essay Topic 2
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the messengers in the play? What do they do; what do they symbolize? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)