|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
2. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
3. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
4. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
5. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
2. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
3. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
4. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
5. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
6. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
7. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
8. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
9. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
10. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of having the women defeat the men in the battle? Support your answer with examples form the play.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)