|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
2. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
3. Who is the writer of this play?
4. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
5. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
2. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
3. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
4. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
5. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
6. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
7. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
8. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
9. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
10. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the play's central conflict, and how is it illustrated throughout the play? Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play represent the contrast between individual freedoms and societal expectations? Provide examples and evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)