|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
2. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
3. What is the Parodos?
4. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
5. What is the Axius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
2. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
3. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
4. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
5. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
6. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
7. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
8. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
9. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
10. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is animal imagery used in the play? Provide at least three examples of animal imagery and what they represents.
Essay Topic 2
Using the book to support your answer, explain how the main character Dionysus affects the play's structure.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the blindness Pentheus suffers and the blindness Tiresius suffers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)