|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
2. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
3. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
4. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
5. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
2. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
3. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
4. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
5. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
6. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
7. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
8. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
9. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
10. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
Essay Topic 2
How does the play compare and contrast the ideas of restraint and reason to unrestrained behavior and emotions? Provide support for your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)