|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
2. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
3. When the Chorus says "Like a colt that gambols at its mother's side," who are they saying is the colt?
4. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
5. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
2. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
3. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
4. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
5. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
6. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
7. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
8. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
9. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
10. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between the blindness Pentheus suffers and the blindness Tiresius suffers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using the book to support your answer, explain how the main character Dionysus affects the play's structure.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)