|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
2. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
3. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
4. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
5. Who is the writer of this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
3. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
4. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
5. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
6. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
7. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
8. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
9. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
10. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Dionysus influence Pentheus throughout the play? Does Dionysus's influence over Pentheus change as the play continues? Support your answer with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between the blindness Pentheus suffers and the blindness Tiresius suffers? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe, using examples from the play, what role revenge has in the play and how revenge is portrayed.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)