|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
2. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
3. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
4. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
5. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
2. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
3. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
4. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
5. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
6. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
7. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
8. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
9. What is the Parodos?
10. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the messengers in the play? What do they do; what do they symbolize? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What evidence does the play give in support of the following statement: To ignore the divine is folly.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)