|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
2. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
3. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
4. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
5. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
2. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
3. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
4. What is the king obsessed with?
5. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
6. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
7. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
8. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
9. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
10. Who does the cult think they are following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the messengers in the play? What do they do; what do they symbolize? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)