|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
2. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
3. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
4. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
5. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
2. What is the thyrsus?
3. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
4. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
5. How is the worship of Dionysus described in the Parados?
6. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
7. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
8. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
9. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
10. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a tragic flaw in Pentheus's character? What is it? If there is not one, why not? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
If you had to choose one word to describe Dionysus, what word would it be? Why did you choose that word? Present at least three choices and pick the strongest choice as your decision.
Essay Topic 3
How is animal imagery used in the play? Provide at least three examples of animal imagery and what they represents.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)