|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
2. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
3. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
4. Who is Dionysus's father?
5. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
2. Who does the cult think they are following?
3. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
4. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
5. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
6. What does the second messenger report?
7. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
8. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
9. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
10. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the play represent the contrast between individual freedoms and societal expectations? Provide examples and evidence to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does Pentheus symbolize and how does he symbolize it? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the natural world in the play? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)