|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
2. The first messenger reports that when they tried to bring Pentheus's mother back from the group of women, the women went mad and destroyed what?
(a) A town of men.
(b) A flock of birds.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) A herd of cattle.
3. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
4. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In happiness and lust.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In sadness and sorrow.
(d) In purity and holiness.
5. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For pretending to be a woman.
(b) For mocking their rites.
(c) For not believing in Dionysus.
(d) For trying to bring them home by force.
Short Answer Questions
1. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
2. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
3. Where is Pentheus's mother "hastening" to according to the Chorus?
4. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
5. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)