|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(b) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(c) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
(d) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
2. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
(a) A sourrowful heart.
(b) A wicked heart.
(c) A heart of stone.
(d) A hardened heart.
3. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(b) She is unaware she killed her son.
(c) She knows she killed her son.
(d) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
4. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For not believing in Dionysus.
(b) For mocking their rites.
(c) For trying to bring them home by force.
(d) For pretending to be a woman.
5. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) Other men.
(b) The wilderness.
(c) A fallen foe.
(d) The beasts of the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
2. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
3. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
4. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
5. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)