|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first messenger reports that when they tried to bring Pentheus's mother back from the group of women, the women went mad and destroyed what?
(a) A herd of cattle.
(b) A town of men.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) A flock of birds.
2. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He didn't see anything.
(b) He doesn't know the truth.
(c) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(d) He fears Pentheus's rage.
3. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In happiness and lust.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In purity and holiness.
(d) In sadness and sorrow.
4. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
5. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
2. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
3. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
4. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
5. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)