|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(b) The Soldier.
(d) The Messenger.
2. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A lightening strike.
(b) A lightening flash.
(c) A thunder storm.
(d) A thunder strike.
3. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
4. When the Chorus says "Like a colt that gambols at its mother's side," who are they saying is the colt?
(a) The Greeks.
(d) The worshipers of Dionysus.
5. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
(a) Handsome emotions.
(b) Strong hatred.
(c) Furious rage.
(d) Deep feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
2. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
3. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
4. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
5. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
2. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
3. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
4. Who does the cult think they are following?
5. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
6. What is the king obsessed with?
7. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
8. What story does the Parados tell?
9. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
10. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)