|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
(a) Safe response.
(b) Appropriate response.
(c) Reasonable response.
(d) Honorable response.
2. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-educated men.
(b) Over-subtle wits.
(c) Heavy thinkers.
(d) Over-thinking philosophers.
3. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
4. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
5. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
2. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
3. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
4. What kind of meat do the worshipers of Dionysus eat?
5. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the cult think they are following?
2. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
3. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
4. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
5. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
6. What is the king obsessed with?
7. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
8. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
9. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
10. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)