|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tiresius suffer from?
2. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
(a) A king.
(b) A family member.
(c) An honored guest.
(d) A god.
3. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
(b) The Chorus.
4. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Maple and pine.
(b) Holly and pine.
(c) Oak and pine.
(d) Evergreen and pine.
5. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) All his followers.
(b) The women.
(c) The people giving money to the cult.
(d) The leader of the cult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
2. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
3. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
4. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
2. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
3. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
4. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
5. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
6. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
7. Who is Tiresius?
8. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
9. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
10. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)