|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Semele?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A spirit.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A mortal.
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
(a) Partying with the women.
(b) Pretending to be women.
(c) Honoring Dionysus.
(d) Praying to Dionysus in the temple.
3. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
4. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The release of the women.
(b) The release of their cult leader.
(c) The intervention of Zeus.
(d) The intervention of Dionysus.
5. Who are the Bacchae?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The unbelivers.
(c) Dionysus's followers.
(d) The priests of Dionysus.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
2. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
3. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
4. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
5. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
2. What story does the Parados tell?
3. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
4. What is the Parodos?
5. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
6. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
7. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
8. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
9. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
10. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)