|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Heavy thinkers.
(b) Over-educated men.
(c) Over-subtle wits.
(d) Over-thinking philosophers.
2. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
(b) A mountain.
(c) A tree.
(d) A vine.
3. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
4. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
5. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
3. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
4. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
5. Who are the Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
2. Who is Tiresius?
3. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
4. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
5. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
6. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
7. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
8. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
9. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
10. What does the second messenger report?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)