|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In the temple.
(b) In their homes.
(c) Outside the city.
(d) At the river.
2. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
3. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With fear.
(b) With anger.
(c) With pity.
(d) With rage.
4. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
(a) They are not eating.
(b) They are dead.
(c) They are free.
(d) They are sleeping.
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Oppilos.
(b) Mt. Olympus.
(c) Mt. Olives.
(d) Mt. Othella.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
2. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
3. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
4. Who are the Bacchae?
5. According to the Chorus, who is Zeus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
2. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
3. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
4. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
5. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
6. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
7. Who does the cult think they are following?
8. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
9. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
10. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)