|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
3. Who is Hera?
(a) Zeus's wife.
(b) Zeus's sister.
(c) Zeus's mother.
(d) Zeus's mistress.
4. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
(a) Dionysus's travels.
(b) Dionysus's life.
(c) Dionysus's prophet.
(d) Dionysus's birth.
5. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
2. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
3. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
4. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
5. Which foreign river is never fed by rain, according to the Chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
2. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
3. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
4. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
5. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
6. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
7. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
8. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
9. Who composes the Chorus?
10. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)