|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
(a) They are dead.
(b) They are not eating.
(c) They are sleeping.
(d) They are free.
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
(a) Stop his desire for revenge.
(b) Honor the whole family.
(c) Prevent disaster.
(d) Calm the women.
3. Who is Hera?
(a) Zeus's mother.
(b) Zeus's sister.
(c) Zeus's wife.
(d) Zeus's mistress.
4. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
(a) Cow skins.
(b) Sheep skins.
(c) Deer skins.
(d) Fawn skins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
3. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
4. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
5. Who are the Bacchae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
2. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
3. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
4. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
5. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
6. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
7. What is the thyrsus?
8. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
9. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
10. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)