|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A fellow king.
(b) A god.
(c) The cult leader.
(d) A cult follower.
3. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
(a) A marriage.
(b) An affair.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A fling.
4. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a king.
(b) As a slave.
(c) As a man.
(d) As prey.
5. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
2. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
3. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
4. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
5. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
2. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
3. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
4. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
5. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
6. What is the thyrsus?
7. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
8. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
9. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
10. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)