|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus says "Like a colt that gambols at its mother's side," who are they saying is the colt?
(a) The worshipers of Dionysus.
(c) The Greeks.
2. Who is the writer of this play?
3. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With rage.
(b) With fear.
(c) With pity.
(d) With anger.
4. Pentheus holds what title?
5. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-thinking philosophers.
(b) Over-subtle wits.
(c) Over-educated men.
(d) Heavy thinkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
2. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
3. Who are the Bacchae?
4. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
5. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
2. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
3. What is the message of the final scene of the play?
4. What is the thyrsus?
5. What is the Parodos?
6. Who composes the Chorus?
7. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
8. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
9. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
10. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)