|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
2. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
(a) A folly.
(b) A shame.
(c) Real madness.
(d) Inviting revenge.
3. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
4. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
(d) The Chorus.
5. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's death.
(b) Dionysus's birth.
(c) Dionysus's history.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
2. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
3. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
4. Who is Hera?
5. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
2. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
3. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
4. What is the thyrsus?
5. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
6. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
7. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
8. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
9. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
10. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)