|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
2. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A human.
(b) A monster.
(c) A minotaur.
(d) A pheonix.
3. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A god.
(b) A fellow king.
(c) A cult follower.
(d) The cult leader.
4. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The alluring gods.
(b) The tempting gods.
(c) The lust gods.
(d) The love gods.
5. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hera?
2. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
3. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
4. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
5. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
2. What is the thyrsus?
3. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
4. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
5. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
6. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
7. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
8. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
9. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
10. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)