|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
(a) A hymn of longing.
(b) A hymn of lament.
(c) A hymn of praise.
(d) A hymn of desire.
2. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
3. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
5. Who is Pentheus's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
2. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
3. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
4. Pentheus holds what title?
5. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the second messenger report?
2. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
3. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
4. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
5. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
6. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
7. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
8. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
9. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
10. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)