|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
(a) Honoring Dionysus.
(b) Pretending to be women.
(c) Praying to Dionysus in the temple.
(d) Partying with the women.
2. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
3. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A gloomy dungeon.
(b) A tower too high to climb.
(c) A hole in the earth.
(d) A stinky stable.
4. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A fool.
(b) A blasphemer.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A miser.
5. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Semele?
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
3. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
4. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
5. Who is Dionysus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
2. What does Pentheus hope to discover while spying on the women?
3. What does the second messenger report?
4. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
5. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
6. What is the king obsessed with?
7. What story does the Parados tell?
8. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
9. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
10. What explanation does Cadmus give for the events of the play?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)