|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
(a) The father of irrigation.
(b) The father of streams.
(c) The father of sprinklers.
(d) The father of rivers.
2. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
3. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
(a) Godly guide.
(b) Kingly guide.
(c) Divine guide.
(d) Celestial guide.
4. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Crowns of gold.
(b) Wreaths of branches.
(c) Garlands of leaves.
(d) Garlands of flowers.
5. What is the Parodos?
(a) A hymn of desire.
(b) A hymn of praise.
(c) A hymn of lament.
(d) A hymn of longing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
2. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
3. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
4. Who is the writer of this play?
5. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the cult think they are following?
2. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
3. Who does Dionysus intend to vindicate by coming to Thebes?
4. What is the king obsessed with?
5. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
6. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
7. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
8. How is the Chorus similar to the positions of Tiresius and Cadmus?
9. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
10. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)