|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To drink its blood.
(b) To eat its meat.
(c) To wear its horns.
(d) To have company.
2. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A human.
(b) A minotaur.
(c) A monster.
(d) A pheonix.
3. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
4. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
(a) Dishonest reasons.
(b) Misguided reasons.
(c) Hurtful reasons.
(d) Selfish reasons.
5. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A gloomy dungeon.
(b) A tower too high to climb.
(c) A hole in the earth.
(d) A stinky stable.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
3. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
5. Who is Pentheus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tiresius?
2. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
3. What promise does Dionysus make about Pentheus's return to Thebes?
4. What is the thyrsus?
5. What is Pentheus's disguise when he leaves the palace?
6. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
7. Who composes the Chorus?
8. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
9. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
10. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)