|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
2. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
(a) A marriage.
(b) A fling.
(c) A ritual.
(d) An affair.
3. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To do something with their lives.
(b) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(c) To make things for him.
(d) To quiet their drumming.
4. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
(a) Pretending to be women.
(b) Praying to Dionysus in the temple.
(c) Honoring Dionysus.
(d) Partying with the women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
2. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
3. Which foreign river is never fed by rain, according to the Chorus?
4. What is Semele?
5. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
2. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
3. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
4. What was the wish Zeus granted Semele?
5. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
6. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
7. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
8. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
9. What is Euripides suggesting by having the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
10. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)