|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Garlands of flowers.
(b) Garlands of leaves.
(c) Wreaths of branches.
(d) Crowns of gold.
2. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-thinking philosophers.
(b) Heavy thinkers.
(c) Over-educated men.
(d) Over-subtle wits.
3. What kind of meat do the worshipers of Dionysus eat?
(a) Cooked meat.
(b) Raw meat.
(c) Old meat.
(d) Fresh meat.
4. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
5. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
(a) The father of rivers.
(b) The father of irrigation.
(c) The father of streams.
(d) The father of sprinklers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
3. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
4. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
5. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
2. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
3. How do Dionysus and Pentheus use the women?
4. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
5. What is the Chorus extolling in the first ode?
6. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
7. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
8. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
9. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
10. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)