|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
2. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
3. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
4. Who is the writer of this play?
5. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
2. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
3. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
4. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the worship of Dionysus is frightening and revolting to outsiders?
2. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
3. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
4. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
5. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
6. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
7. Who is Tiresius?
8. What does Cadmus do when confronted with Agave carrying Pentheus's head?
9. What is one of the praises the Chorus sings of Dionysus?
10. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)