|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the writer of this play?
2. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
3. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With rage.
(b) With pity.
(c) With anger.
(d) With fear.
4. When the Chorus says "Like a colt that gambols at its mother's side," who are they saying is the colt?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The worshipers of Dionysus.
5. Which foreign river is never fed by rain, according to the Chorus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
2. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
3. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
4. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
5. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the wish Zeus granted Semele?
2. How are the Chorus and Pentheus similar?
3. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
4. Where does the violence and death take place during the play?
5. How is Dionysus able to use Pentheus's feelings as a trap?
6. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
7. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
8. Who does the cult think they are following?
9. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
10. What are Tiresius and Cadmus feeling when they are getting ready to go worship Dionysus?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)