|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
(a) A vine.
(b) A tree.
(c) A mountain.
2. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
(a) Traveling abroad.
(b) In the catacombs.
(c) By herself in her rooms.
(d) With the other women.
3. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
4. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A lightening strike.
(b) A lightening flash.
(c) A thunder storm.
(d) A thunder strike.
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Oppilos.
(b) Mt. Othella.
(c) Mt. Olives.
(d) Mt. Olympus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
2. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
3. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
4. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
5. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
2. What is the Chorus denouncing in the first ode?
3. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
4. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
5. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
6. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
7. What is the reason Dionysus came to Thebes?
8. Who does the cult think they are following?
9. Who is Tiresius?
10. How is the Chorus similar to the positions of Tiresius and Cadmus?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)