|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
(a) Traveling abroad.
(b) With the other women.
(c) In the catacombs.
(d) By herself in her rooms.
2. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
3. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
4. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
5. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
3. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
4. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
5. Who is Hera?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
2. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
3. What is the king obsessed with?
4. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
5. Why does the Chorus take Dionysus's side?
6. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
7. Who composes the Chorus?
8. How does the Chorus function as an extension of Dionysus?
9. Why has Pentheus come to rely on Dionysus for his disguise?
10. What happened once Pentheus was in the tree?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)