|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
2. Who is Dionysus's father?
3. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not having a temple for him.
(b) Not giving tributes to him.
(c) Not worshiping him as a god.
(d) Not honoring him at their festivals.
4. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
(a) Partying with the women.
(b) Praying to Dionysus in the temple.
(c) Pretending to be women.
(d) Honoring Dionysus.
5. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's death.
(b) Dionysus's revenge.
(c) Dionysus's birth.
(d) Dionysus's history.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who is Zeus's father?
2. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
3. Who is Pentheus's father?
4. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
2. Who is Tiresius?
3. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
4. What did Zeus do with Dionysus when Semele died?
5. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
6. What is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
7. What does the second messenger report?
8. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
9. What does the first messenger report that is in conflict with what the king believes?
10. What has happened to Dionysus and Pentheus during the fourth ode?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)