|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Maple and pine.
(b) Holly and pine.
(c) Evergreen and pine.
(d) Oak and pine.
2. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
3. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A fellow king.
(b) The cult leader.
(c) A god.
(d) A cult follower.
4. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A blasphemer.
(b) A fool.
(c) A miser.
(d) A dead man.
5. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
(a) Dishonest reasons.
(b) Misguided reasons.
(c) Hurtful reasons.
(d) Selfish reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the writer of this play?
2. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
3. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
4. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
5. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chorus mocking Agave?
2. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
3. What happens when the earthquake occurs?
4. What is being denounced in the second choral ode?
5. What is the thyrsus?
6. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
7. Why is the Chorus calling for justice in the fourth ode?
8. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
9. In the Parados, wildness and holiness are synonymous with what?
10. What, according to the dialogue between Pentheus and Dionysus, is not open for negotiation?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)