|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which foreign river is never fed by rain, according to the Chorus?
2. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
3. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
(a) He is greatful.
(b) He is awed.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is full of praise.
4. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) The audience.
5. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(c) The Soldier.
(d) The Messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
2. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
3. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
4. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
5. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pentheus see when he looks at Dionysus?
2. How does the Chorus refer to Pentheus in the fourth ode?
3. Why is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
4. What is being prayed for in the second choral ode?
5. Why does Cadmus argue with Pentheus?
6. How is Dionysus brought to Pentheus?
7. How is the Chorus similar to the positions of Tiresius and Cadmus?
8. When Hera found out about the love affair between Zeus and Semele, what did Semele question?
9. How does the Chorus define the simple man?
10. In the third ode what thoughts does the Chorus express about divine power?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)