|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dionysus's father?
2. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
(a) Rich, poor.
(b) Slave, master.
(c) Adult, child.
(d) Woman, man.
3. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
4. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
(a) A fling.
(b) A marriage.
(c) A ritual.
(d) An affair.
5. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
2. What is the Parodos?
3. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
4. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
5. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
2. What was the wish Zeus granted Semele?
3. How does Dionysus turn the king's anger at him into contentment?
4. Why is the Chorus, even though it is similar to Pentheus, correct?
5. What did Agave do to Pentheus?
6. When Cadmus and Tiresius anger Pentheus, what does Pentheus order?
7. What is the Chorus looking forward to in the third ode?
8. Why is Agave unaware she has murdered her own son?
9. How do Agave and Cadmus represent the audience?
10. What is the secret that Dionysus reveals to the audience in the Prologue but not to the other characters?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)