|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
2. What is Thebes?
(a) A region.
(b) A city-state.
(c) A state.
(d) A country.
3. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Full of surprises.
(b) Follow tradition.
(d) Reach new levels.
4. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A dragon with teeth snapping.
(b) A lion breating flame.
(c) A bear growling in anger.
(d) A horse ready for battle.
5. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A mare.
(b) A lioness.
(c) A tigress.
(d) A she-cow.
6. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
(a) A sword.
(b) A crown.
(c) A thyrsus.
(d) A wine bottle.
7. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) HIs aunt.
(d) His daughter.
8. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His ear.
(b) His hand.
(c) His head.
(d) His leg.
9. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
10. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A rock.
(b) A hillside.
(c) A tree.
(d) A cave.
11. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As a sister to Dionysus.
(b) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(c) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(d) As an extension of Dionysus.
12. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
13. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
14. How did Pentheus die?
15. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
2. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
3. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
4. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
5. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)