|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
2. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His head.
(b) His hand.
(c) His leg.
(d) His ear.
3. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
4. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
5. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) He was disguised.
(b) She was blind.
(c) She was mad.
(d) Dionysus made her forget.
6. What is Hellas?
(a) The after-life.
(c) A mountain.
(d) A temple in Delphi.
7. When the first messenger describes how the women slept, what word does he use?
8. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A lion breating flame.
(b) A horse ready for battle.
(c) A bear growling in anger.
(d) A dragon with teeth snapping.
9. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
(a) The daughters of Dionysus.
(b) The happy souls of wine.
(c) The daughters of Cadmus.
(d) The wild women.
10. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(b) She knows she killed her son.
(c) She is unaware she killed her son.
(d) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
11. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
(a) The second messenger.
(b) The fifth messenger.
(c) The third messenger.
(d) The fourth messenger.
12. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
13. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A tree.
(b) A hillside.
(c) A cave.
(d) A rock.
14. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Follow tradition.
(c) Reach new levels.
(d) Full of surprises.
15. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
(a) A crown.
(b) A thyrsus.
(c) A sword.
(d) A wine bottle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
2. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
3. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
4. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
5. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)