|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Pentheus die?
2. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was made to do so by the gods.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was overwhelmed.
(d) He was exhausted.
3. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Follow tradition.
(b) Reach new levels.
(c) Full of surprises.
4. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Find Dionysus.
(b) Spy on the women.
(c) Leave the city.
(d) Retrieve his mother.
5. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
(a) Wild rank garments.
(b) Wild rolling eyes.
(c) Wild raging hair.
(d) Wild ridiculous makeup.
6. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(d) As an extension of Dionysus.
7. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
8. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
9. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
10. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(b) He doesn't know the truth.
(c) He didn't see anything.
(d) He fears Pentheus's rage.
11. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
12. What is Hellas?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A temple in Delphi.
(c) The after-life.
13. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
14. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
(a) Single intent.
(b) Mad intent.
(c) Frantic intent.
(d) Purposeful intent.
15. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The traps.
(b) The sharks.
(c) The undertow.
(d) The waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that although their triumph is glorious, it ends in what?
2. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
3. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
4. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
5. What happened that released Dionysus from prison?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)