|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(b) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(c) As an extension of Dionysus.
(d) As a sister to Dionysus.
2. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
(a) The fifth messenger.
(b) The third messenger.
(c) The fourth messenger.
(d) The second messenger.
3. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(b) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(c) He didn't see anything.
(d) He doesn't know the truth.
4. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The hills.
(b) The unbelievers.
(c) The flames.
(d) The animals.
5. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
(b) Stealthy lest none should see him.
(c) With his right foot.
(d) Happily, with the air of gladness.
6. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A column of flame.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A darkness.
7. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
8. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
9. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His head.
(b) His hand.
(c) His ear.
(d) His leg.
10. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Dionysus's downfall.
(b) Pentheus's revenge.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Pentheus's downfall.
11. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
(a) The wild women.
(b) The happy souls of wine.
(c) The daughters of Dionysus.
(d) The daughters of Cadmus.
12. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(b) She knows she killed her son.
(c) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
(d) She is unaware she killed her son.
13. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A cave.
(b) A rock.
(c) A tree.
(d) A hillside.
14. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
15. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(b) With much riches.
(c) In the arms of his mother.
(d) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
2. When he could not see the women well, what did Pentheus do?
3. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
4. Where is Pentheus's mother "hastening" to according to the Chorus?
5. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)