|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
2. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
(a) Wild rolling eyes.
(b) Wild rank garments.
(c) Wild raging hair.
(d) Wild ridiculous makeup.
3. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
4. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
5. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) Dionysus made her forget.
(b) She was blind.
(c) She was mad.
(d) He was disguised.
6. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The walls with his family.
(b) The means of his life.
(c) The traditions of his people.
(d) The social boundaries.
7. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
(a) A bull.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A man.
(d) A centaur.
8. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His ear.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His head.
9. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is too long.
(b) It doesn't hang evenly.
(c) It is the wrong fabric.
(d) It is the wrong color.
10. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A bacchant.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A commoner.
11. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
12. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Melodious strain.
(b) Acapella strain.
(c) Choral strain.
(d) Harmonious strain.
13. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
14. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
(a) A thyrsus.
(b) A sword.
(c) A wine bottle.
(d) A crown.
15. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was made to do so by the gods.
(b) He was exhausted.
(c) He was overwhelmed.
(d) He was poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
2. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
3. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
4. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
5. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)