|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(b) Follow tradition.
(c) Full of surprises.
(d) Reach new levels.
2. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The unbelievers.
(b) The animals.
(c) The hills.
(d) The flames.
3. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
4. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(a) The women.
(b) Pentheus' sister.
(c) A bull.
5. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
6. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
7. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) On occasion.
(b) When it is in the interests of the gods.
(d) When it is in the interests of the people.
8. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A dragon with teeth snapping.
(b) A bear growling in anger.
(c) A lion breating flame.
(d) A horse ready for battle.
9. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
10. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
11. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
12. What is Hellas?
(b) A temple in Delphi.
(c) A mountain.
(d) The after-life.
13. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The social boundaries.
(b) The traditions of his people.
(c) The walls with his family.
(d) The means of his life.
14. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
15. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A shepherd.
(c) A commoner.
(d) A bacchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pentheus die?
2. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
3. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
4. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
5. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)