|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bull.
(c) A horse.
(d) A sheep.
2. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
3. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(b) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(c) He doesn't know the truth.
(d) He didn't see anything.
4. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
5. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter.
(d) HIs aunt.
6. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(b) She knows she killed her son.
(c) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
(d) She is unaware she killed her son.
7. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
(a) The fifth messenger.
(b) The fourth messenger.
(c) The third messenger.
(d) The second messenger.
8. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) When it is in the interests of the people.
(b) When it is in the interests of the gods.
(d) On occasion.
9. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
10. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(a) Pentheus' sister.
(b) A bull.
(c) The women.
11. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A tradition.
(c) Common sense.
(d) Only for the rich.
12. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(a) None - it is night.
13. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
14. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Harmonious strain.
(b) Choral strain.
(c) Melodious strain.
(d) Acapella strain.
15. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Leave the city.
(b) Spy on the women.
(c) Find Dionysus.
(d) Retrieve his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
2. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
3. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
4. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
5. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)