|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
2. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
3. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) On occasion.
(b) When it is in the interests of the people.
(c) When it is in the interests of the gods.
4. What do the women tie around their waists, according to the first messenger?
5. What is Hellas?
(b) A temple in Delphi.
(c) The after-life.
(d) A mountain.
6. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
7. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She knows she killed her son.
(b) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(c) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
(d) She is unaware she killed her son.
8. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was exhausted.
(b) He was made to do so by the gods.
(c) He was overwhelmed.
(d) He was poisoned.
9. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He didn't see anything.
(b) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(c) He doesn't know the truth.
(d) He fears Pentheus's delight.
10. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
11. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
(a) The second messenger.
(b) The third messenger.
(c) The fifth messenger.
(d) The fourth messenger.
12. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
13. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(b) In the arms of his mother.
(c) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
(d) With much riches.
14. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
15. What is Thebes?
(a) A country.
(b) A city-state.
(c) A region.
(d) A state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
2. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
3. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
4. The Chorus says that although their triumph is glorious, it ends in what?
5. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)