|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
(a) Single intent.
(b) Purposeful intent.
(c) Mad intent.
(d) Frantic intent.
2. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A bacchant.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A commoner.
3. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
(a) A hardened heart.
(b) A wicked heart.
(c) A sourrowful heart.
(d) A heart of stone.
4. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
(a) The false gods.
(b) All people.
(c) The misguided.
(d) The arrogant.
5. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
6. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was blind.
(b) She was mad.
(c) He was disguised.
(d) Dionysus made her forget.
7. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
8. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(b) Follow tradition.
(c) Reach new levels.
(d) Full of surprises.
9. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
10. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A mare.
(b) A tigress.
(c) A she-cow.
(d) A lioness.
11. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Dionysus's revenge.
(b) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(c) Pentheus's success.
(d) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
12. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Melodious strain.
(b) Harmonious strain.
(c) Choral strain.
(d) Acapella strain.
13. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The animals.
(b) The unbelievers.
(c) The flames.
(d) The hills.
14. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
15. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(b) He doesn't know the truth.
(c) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(d) He didn't see anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
2. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
3. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
4. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
5. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)