|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) When it is in the interests of the gods.
(b) On occasion.
(d) When it is in the interests of the people.
2. What do the women tie around their waists, according to the first messenger?
3. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was blind.
(b) He was disguised.
(c) She was mad.
(d) Dionysus made her forget.
4. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His mother.
(b) HIs aunt.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His sister.
5. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(a) None - it is night.
6. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A bacchant.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A commoner.
(d) A shepherd.
7. When he could not see the women well, what did Pentheus do?
8. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Leave the city.
(b) Retrieve his mother.
(c) Spy on the women.
(d) Find Dionysus.
9. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
10. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As an extension of Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(d) As a conscience to Dionysus.
11. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In happiness and lust.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In sadness and sorrow.
(d) In purity and holiness.
12. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A cave.
(b) A rock.
(c) A hillside.
(d) A tree.
13. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
14. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
15. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
(a) Pretend gods.
(b) Tricks and magic.
(c) Unworthy men.
(d) Brute force.
Short Answer Questions
1. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
2. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
3. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
4. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
5. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)