|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As an extension of Dionysus.
(d) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
2. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
(a) Stealthy lest none should see him.
(b) With his right foot.
(d) Happily, with the air of gladness.
3. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
4. What do the women tie around their waists, according to the first messenger?
5. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Roman Centurion.
(b) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(c) Greecian Atlas.
(d) Libyan Gorgon.
6. Where is Pentheus's mother "hastening" to according to the Chorus?
(a) The house.
(b) The river.
(c) The valley.
(d) The plains.
7. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A commoner.
(c) A bacchant.
(d) A shepherd.
8. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
(a) Purposeful intent.
(b) Single intent.
(c) Frantic intent.
(d) Mad intent.
9. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
(c) The nymphs.
(d) The Bacchants.
10. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Follow tradition.
(c) Full of surprises.
(d) Reach new levels.
11. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
12. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
(a) A sourrowful heart.
(b) A heart of stone.
(c) A wicked heart.
(d) A hardened heart.
13. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He doesn't know the truth.
(b) He didn't see anything.
(c) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(d) He fears Pentheus's delight.
14. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) The beasts of the field.
(b) A fallen foe.
(c) The wilderness.
(d) Other men.
15. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A horse ready for battle.
(b) A dragon with teeth snapping.
(c) A lion breating flame.
(d) A bear growling in anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
2. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
3. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
4. The first messenger reports that when they tried to bring Pentheus's mother back from the group of women, the women went mad and destroyed what?
5. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)