|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
2. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is the wrong color.
(b) It is too long.
(c) It doesn't hang evenly.
(d) It is the wrong fabric.
3. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Dionysus's downfall.
(b) Pentheus's downfall.
(c) Pentheus's revenge.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
4. When the first messenger describes how the women slept, what word does he use?
5. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His head.
(b) His hand.
(c) His ear.
(d) His leg.
6. Where is Pentheus's mother "hastening" to according to the Chorus?
(a) The valley.
(b) The house.
(c) The plains.
(d) The river.
7. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(b) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(c) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
(d) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
8. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Leave the city.
(b) Spy on the women.
(c) Retrieve his mother.
(d) Find Dionysus.
9. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) The beasts of the field.
(b) The wilderness.
(c) A fallen foe.
(d) Other men.
10. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He doesn't know the truth.
(b) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(c) He didn't see anything.
(d) He fears Pentheus's rage.
11. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) He was disguised.
(b) Dionysus made her forget.
(c) She was blind.
(d) She was mad.
12. The first messenger reports that when they tried to bring Pentheus's mother back from the group of women, the women went mad and destroyed what?
(a) A herd of cattle.
(b) A flock of birds.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) A town of men.
13. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
14. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
15. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
2. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
3. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
4. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
5. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)