|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women tie around their waists, according to the first messenger?
2. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
3. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
(a) The daughters of Dionysus.
(b) The happy souls of wine.
(c) The daughters of Cadmus.
(d) The wild women.
4. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was mad.
(b) Dionysus made her forget.
(c) She was blind.
(d) He was disguised.
5. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A dragon with teeth snapping.
(b) A bear growling in anger.
(c) A horse ready for battle.
(d) A lion breating flame.
6. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His sister.
(c) HIs aunt.
(d) His mother.
7. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
8. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is the wrong fabric.
(b) It is the wrong color.
(c) It is too long.
(d) It doesn't hang evenly.
9. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(b) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(c) Pentheus's success.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
10. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) A fallen foe.
(b) Other men.
(c) The wilderness.
(d) The beasts of the field.
11. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
12. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In sadness and sorrow.
(b) In purity and holiness.
(c) In prayer and song.
(d) In happiness and lust.
13. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The social boundaries.
(b) The walls with his family.
(c) The means of his life.
(d) The traditions of his people.
14. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The unbelievers.
(b) The animals.
(c) The hills.
(d) The flames.
15. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
2. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
3. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
4. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
5. What is Thebes?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)