|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
2. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
3. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
4. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(b) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(c) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(d) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
5. The Chorus says that although their triumph is glorious, it ends in what?
(a) Fright and madness.
(b) Pleasure and pain.
(c) Sadness and tears.
(d) Sorrow and pleading.
6. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
7. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
(a) The misguided.
(b) The arrogant.
(c) The false gods.
(d) All people.
8. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A column of flame.
(d) A darkness.
9. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) When it is in the interests of the gods.
(c) When it is in the interests of the people.
(d) On occasion.
10. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
(a) A wicked heart.
(b) A sourrowful heart.
(c) A heart of stone.
(d) A hardened heart.
11. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
12. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was mad.
(b) She was blind.
(c) Dionysus made her forget.
(d) He was disguised.
13. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
14. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
(a) Wild ridiculous makeup.
(b) Wild rank garments.
(c) Wild rolling eyes.
(d) Wild raging hair.
15. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) The wilderness.
(b) The beasts of the field.
(c) Other men.
(d) A fallen foe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the first messenger describes how the women slept, what word does he use?
2. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
3. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
4. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
5. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)