|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
2. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Choral strain.
(b) Acapella strain.
(c) Harmonious strain.
(d) Melodious strain.
3. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As an extension of Dionysus.
(d) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
4. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
(a) Happily, with the air of gladness.
(c) Stealthy lest none should see him.
(d) With his right foot.
5. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
6. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His hand.
(b) His leg.
(c) His ear.
(d) His head.
7. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
8. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
9. The Chorus says that although their triumph is glorious, it ends in what?
(a) Fright and madness.
(b) Pleasure and pain.
(c) Sorrow and pleading.
(d) Sadness and tears.
10. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A tigress.
(b) A lioness.
(c) A she-cow.
(d) A mare.
11. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
12. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(b) In the arms of his mother.
(c) With much riches.
(d) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
13. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For pretending to be a woman.
(b) For not believing in Dionysus.
(c) For mocking their rites.
(d) For trying to bring them home by force.
14. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Greecian Atlas.
(b) Libyan Gorgon.
(c) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(d) Roman Centurion.
15. What happened that released Dionysus from prison?
(a) A fire.
(b) A jail-break.
(c) A flood.
(d) An earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
2. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
3. What is Thebes?
4. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
5. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)