|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
(a) Wild rolling eyes.
(b) Wild raging hair.
(c) Wild ridiculous makeup.
(d) Wild rank garments.
2. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
(a) The nymphs.
(c) The Bacchants.
3. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
(a) Happily, with the air of gladness.
(c) With his right foot.
(d) Stealthy lest none should see him.
4. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
5. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Harmonious strain.
(b) Melodious strain.
(c) Acapella strain.
(d) Choral strain.
6. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The means of his life.
(b) The traditions of his people.
(c) The walls with his family.
(d) The social boundaries.
7. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
8. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
9. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
10. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His mother.
(d) HIs aunt.
11. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
12. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
(a) A wine bottle.
(b) A thyrsus.
(c) A crown.
(d) A sword.
13. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
(b) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(c) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(d) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
14. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Find Dionysus.
(b) Spy on the women.
(c) Retrieve his mother.
(d) Leave the city.
15. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(b) A bull.
(c) The women.
(d) Pentheus' sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
2. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
3. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
4. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
5. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)