|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Roman Centurion.
(b) Libyan Gorgon.
(c) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(d) Greecian Atlas.
2. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
3. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A column of flame.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A darkness.
(d) A cloud.
4. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She is unaware she killed her son.
(b) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(c) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
(d) She knows she killed her son.
5. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was overwhelmed.
(b) He was made to do so by the gods.
(c) He was exhausted.
(d) He was poisoned.
6. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
(a) Frantic intent.
(b) Single intent.
(c) Mad intent.
(d) Purposeful intent.
7. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
8. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A bacchant.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A commoner.
9. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(b) In the arms of his mother.
(c) With much riches.
(d) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
10. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For mocking their rites.
(b) For pretending to be a woman.
(c) For trying to bring them home by force.
(d) For not believing in Dionysus.
11. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is the wrong color.
(b) It is the wrong fabric.
(c) It is too long.
(d) It doesn't hang evenly.
12. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
13. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Dionysus's downfall.
(b) Dionysus's revenge.
(c) Pentheus's downfall.
(d) Pentheus's revenge.
14. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
15. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
2. How did Pentheus die?
3. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
4. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
5. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)