|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
(a) The daughters of Dionysus.
(b) The happy souls of wine.
(c) The daughters of Cadmus.
(d) The wild women.
2. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(b) He didn't see anything.
(c) He doesn't know the truth.
(d) He fears Pentheus's delight.
3. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A column of flame.
(d) A darkness.
4. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
5. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A lioness.
(b) A mare.
(c) A tigress.
(d) A she-cow.
6. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
7. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
(b) The nymphs.
(d) The Bacchants.
8. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
9. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
10. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
(b) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(c) She is unaware she killed her son.
(d) She knows she killed her son.
11. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The undertow.
(b) The traps.
(c) The sharks.
(d) The waves.
12. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
(a) Mad intent.
(b) Single intent.
(c) Purposeful intent.
(d) Frantic intent.
13. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A commoner.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A bacchant.
(d) A shepherd.
14. When the first messenger describes how the women slept, what word does he use?
15. When Dionysus refers to "the seats of Nymphs" and "the place of Pan" what is he referring to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
2. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
3. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
4. How did Pentheus die?
5. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)