|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
2. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The waves.
(b) The undertow.
(c) The traps.
(d) The sharks.
3. How did Pentheus die?
4. The Chorus says that although their triumph is glorious, it ends in what?
(a) Fright and madness.
(b) Pleasure and pain.
(c) Sorrow and pleading.
(d) Sadness and tears.
5. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Choral strain.
(b) Harmonious strain.
(c) Acapella strain.
(d) Melodious strain.
6. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A horse ready for battle.
(b) A bear growling in anger.
(c) A lion breating flame.
(d) A dragon with teeth snapping.
7. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As an extension of Dionysus.
(b) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(c) As a sister to Dionysus.
(d) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
8. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) He was disguised.
(b) Dionysus made her forget.
(c) She was blind.
(d) She was mad.
9. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The means of his life.
(b) The social boundaries.
(c) The walls with his family.
(d) The traditions of his people.
10. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
(a) The arrogant.
(b) The misguided.
(c) All people.
(d) The false gods.
11. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is the wrong color.
(b) It doesn't hang evenly.
(c) It is too long.
(d) It is the wrong fabric.
12. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A bull.
(c) A man.
(d) A centaur.
13. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
14. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Greecian Atlas.
(b) Roman Centurion.
(c) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(d) Libyan Gorgon.
15. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In sadness and sorrow.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In happiness and lust.
(d) In purity and holiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
2. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
3. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
4. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
5. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)