|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A commoner.
(b) A bacchant.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A shepherd.
2. What happened that released Dionysus from prison?
(a) A flood.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A fire.
(d) A jail-break.
3. What is Hellas?
(a) The after-life.
(b) A temple in Delphi.
(d) A mountain.
4. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A lioness.
(b) A tigress.
(c) A she-cow.
(d) A mare.
5. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Choral strain.
(b) Acapella strain.
(c) Harmonious strain.
(d) Melodious strain.
6. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was blind.
(b) He was disguised.
(c) Dionysus made her forget.
(d) She was mad.
7. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bull.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A horse.
8. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(b) Pentheus's success.
(c) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
9. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is the wrong fabric.
(b) It is too long.
(c) It doesn't hang evenly.
(d) It is the wrong color.
10. What is Pentheus holding is his right hand?
(a) A wine bottle.
(b) A sword.
(c) A crown.
(d) A thyrsus.
11. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
12. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
13. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
14. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A column of flame.
(c) A darkness.
(d) A waterfall.
15. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
2. What emotion is the Chorus trying to inspire in their fourth ode?
3. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
4. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
5. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)