|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His mother.
(b) HIs aunt.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His sister.
2. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Find Dionysus.
(b) Retrieve his mother.
(c) Spy on the women.
(d) Leave the city.
3. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(a) Pentheus' sister.
(b) The women.
(d) A bull.
4. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) On occasion.
(b) When it is in the interests of the people.
(d) When it is in the interests of the gods.
5. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(b) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(c) He didn't see anything.
(d) He doesn't know the truth.
6. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(b) Dionysus's revenge.
(c) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(d) Pentheus's success.
7. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A man.
(c) A bull.
(d) A centaur.
8. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A mare.
(b) A tigress.
(c) A lioness.
(d) A she-cow.
9. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bull.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A deer.
10. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(b) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(c) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(d) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
11. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Dionysus's revenge.
(b) Dionysus's downfall.
(c) Pentheus's revenge.
(d) Pentheus's downfall.
12. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A tree.
(b) A hillside.
(c) A rock.
(d) A cave.
13. What is Thebes?
(a) A state.
(b) A region.
(c) A city-state.
(d) A country.
14. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) Dionysus made her forget.
(b) She was mad.
(c) She was blind.
(d) He was disguised.
15. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A lion breating flame.
(b) A horse ready for battle.
(c) A bear growling in anger.
(d) A dragon with teeth snapping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
2. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
3. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
4. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
5. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)