|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Spy on the women.
(b) Leave the city.
(c) Find Dionysus.
(d) Retrieve his mother.
2. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
3. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
4. Who ripped Pentheus apart?
5. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As an extension of Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(d) As a conscience to Dionysus.
6. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bull.
(c) A horse.
(d) A sheep.
7. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
8. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(b) Pentheus's success.
(c) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
9. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
(a) Pretend gods.
(b) Tricks and magic.
(c) Unworthy men.
(d) Brute force.
10. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
(a) A tradition.
(b) Common sense.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Only for the rich.
11. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For mocking their rites.
(b) For trying to bring them home by force.
(c) For not believing in Dionysus.
(d) For pretending to be a woman.
12. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
13. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A horse ready for battle.
(b) A bear growling in anger.
(c) A lion breating flame.
(d) A dragon with teeth snapping.
14. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Pentheus's revenge.
(b) Dionysus's revenge.
(c) Dionysus's downfall.
(d) Pentheus's downfall.
15. Where did Dionysus place Pentheus so he could get a better look?
(a) A tree.
(b) A hillside.
(c) A cave.
(d) A rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
2. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
3. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
4. How did Pentheus die?
5. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)