|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
(a) His leg.
(b) His hand.
(c) His head.
(d) His ear.
2. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
3. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A bull.
(c) A horse.
(d) A deer.
4. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) Other men.
(b) The beasts of the field.
(c) The wilderness.
(d) A fallen foe.
5. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
6. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
(a) The nymphs.
(d) The Bacchants.
7. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
(b) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(c) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(d) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
8. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In purity and holiness.
(b) In sadness and sorrow.
(c) In prayer and song.
(d) In happiness and lust.
9. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The flames.
(b) The animals.
(c) The hills.
(d) The unbelievers.
10. What is Thebes?
(a) A state.
(b) A region.
(c) A country.
(d) A city-state.
11. When the Chorus says, "Will this white-foot e'er join the night long dance," who is the white-foot they are referring to?
12. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The waves.
(b) The traps.
(c) The undertow.
(d) The sharks.
13. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
14. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
(a) For mocking their rites.
(b) For pretending to be a woman.
(c) For not believing in Dionysus.
(d) For trying to bring them home by force.
15. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was exhausted.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was made to do so by the gods.
(d) He was overwhelmed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
2. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus starts their fourth ode?
3. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
4. How did Pentheus die?
5. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)