|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(b) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(c) He doesn't know the truth.
(d) He didn't see anything.
2. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Pentheus's success.
(b) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
3. In the first line of the fourth ode, how does the Chorus refer to the women?
(a) The daughters of Cadmus.
(b) The wild women.
(c) The daughters of Dionysus.
(d) The happy souls of wine.
4. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Choral strain.
(b) Harmonious strain.
(c) Acapella strain.
(d) Melodious strain.
5. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A bull.
(c) A horse.
(d) A deer.
6. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
(a) The social boundaries.
(b) The walls with his family.
(c) The traditions of his people.
(d) The means of his life.
7. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In sadness and sorrow.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In purity and holiness.
(d) In happiness and lust.
8. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Spy on the women.
(b) Retrieve his mother.
(c) Find Dionysus.
(d) Leave the city.
9. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
(a) The animals.
(b) The hills.
(c) The flames.
(d) The unbelievers.
10. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
(a) All people.
(b) The arrogant.
(c) The misguided.
(d) The false gods.
11. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
12. What does the Chorus predict that Agave will say Pentheus was born from?
(a) A tigress.
(b) A mare.
(c) A she-cow.
(d) A lioness.
13. What form does the Chorus plead for Dionysus to show up in front of them as?
(a) A lion breating flame.
(b) A horse ready for battle.
(c) A bear growling in anger.
(d) A dragon with teeth snapping.
14. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
15. What does Dionysus say the problem is with Pentheus's dress?
(a) It is too long.
(b) It is the wrong color.
(c) It doesn't hang evenly.
(d) It is the wrong fabric.
Short Answer Questions
1. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
2. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
3. What is Hellas?
4. What do the women tie around their waists, according to the first messenger?
5. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)