|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
2. When the Chorus says that there are a "myriad of hopes for all the myriad minds," what does myriad mean?
3. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
4. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
5. What characterizes Pentheus's mother's knowledge about her actions to her son, according to the Chorus in the fifth ode?
(a) She has forgotten she killed her son.
(b) She knows she killed her son.
(c) She is unaware she killed her son.
(d) She doesn't care that she has killed her son.
6. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Pentheus's success.
(b) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
7. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter.
(d) HIs aunt.
8. Who brings the news that Pentheus is dead?
(a) The fifth messenger.
(b) The second messenger.
(c) The third messenger.
(d) The fourth messenger.
9. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(a) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
(c) With much riches.
(d) In the arms of his mother.
10. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was poisoned.
(b) He was exhausted.
(c) He was overwhelmed.
(d) He was made to do so by the gods.
11. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(b) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(c) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(d) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
12. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
(a) A bull.
(b) A man.
(c) A nymph.
(d) A centaur.
13. The first messenger reports that when they tried to bring Pentheus's mother back from the group of women, the women went mad and destroyed what?
(a) A herd of cattle.
(b) A town of men.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) A flock of birds.
14. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
15. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
(a) A hardened heart.
(b) A heart of stone.
(c) A wicked heart.
(d) A sourrowful heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
2. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
3. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
4. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
5. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)