|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
2. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
3. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Only for the rich.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) A tradition.
4. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(b) Roman Centurion.
(c) Greecian Atlas.
(d) Libyan Gorgon.
5. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
(a) Holding the fair golden chalice.
(b) Holding the fair crown of leaves.
(c) Holding the fair Bacchic wand.
(d) Holding the fair serpent girdle.
6. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The waves.
(b) The traps.
(c) The undertow.
(d) The sharks.
7. What did Pentheus tie up instead of binding Dionysus's hands and feet?
(a) A deer.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A bull.
(d) A horse.
8. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(b) A bull.
(c) The women.
(d) Pentheus' sister.
9. What streams did the messenger cross once outside of Thebes?
10. How does Pentheus feel about the task he is undertaking in disguise?
11. How does the Chorus think that a mortal man should "live out his day and night?"
(a) In sadness and sorrow.
(b) In prayer and song.
(c) In purity and holiness.
(d) In happiness and lust.
12. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
13. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
14. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Harmonious strain.
(b) Acapella strain.
(c) Melodious strain.
(d) Choral strain.
15. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Pentheus is his mother carrying to the city?
2. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
3. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
4. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
5. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)