|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pentheus hope to do when he leaves the palace in disguise?
(a) Retrieve his mother.
(b) Spy on the women.
(c) Find Dionysus.
(d) Leave the city.
2. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Reach new levels.
(b) Follow tradition.
(c) Full of surprises.
3. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
(b) A bull.
(c) Pentheus' sister.
(d) The women.
4. When Pentheus leaves the palace, what is he dressed as?
(a) A bacchant.
(b) A commoner.
(c) A shepherd.
(d) A farmer.
5. The Chorus compares being happy to escaping what, from the sea?
(a) The traps.
(b) The undertow.
(c) The waves.
(d) The sharks.
6. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As an extension of Dionysus.
(b) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(c) As a conscience to Dionysus.
(d) As a sister to Dionysus.
7. The Chorus shares the belief of Tiresius and Cadmus that to honor the divine is what?
(a) A tradition.
(b) Only for the rich.
(c) A waste of time.
(d) Common sense.
8. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Pentheus's success.
(b) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(c) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
(d) Dionysus's revenge.
9. The power of the gods, according to the Chorus, corrects the mortal what?
10. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
(d) None - it is night.
11. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
12. When he could not see the women well, what did Pentheus do?
13. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) HIs aunt.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
14. What is Thebes?
(a) A region.
(b) A city-state.
(c) A state.
(d) A country.
15. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of heart does the Chorus think Pentheus has in his quest against the women?
2. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
3. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
4. What does Dionysus ask the Chorus to "abandon" Pentheus's halls to?
5. What is Hellas?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)