|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus says that "women must not be mastered" by what?
(a) Pretend gods.
(b) Brute force.
(c) Unworthy men.
(d) Tricks and magic.
2. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
3. What kind of monster does the Chorus think Agave might say Pentheus is birthed from?
(a) Libyan Gorgon.
(b) Egyptian Spyhnx.
(c) Roman Centurion.
(d) Greecian Atlas.
4. Where does the first messenger say he comes from?
5. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
6. How does the Chorus describe Pentheus's mother's looks in the fifth ode?
(a) Wild raging hair.
(b) Wild rolling eyes.
(c) Wild rank garments.
(d) Wild ridiculous makeup.
7. How does Dionysus tell Pentheus to "step out" while he is in disguise?
(b) Stealthy lest none should see him.
(c) With his right foot.
(d) Happily, with the air of gladness.
8. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
(b) The nymphs.
(c) The Bacchants.
9. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Harmonious strain.
(b) Melodious strain.
(c) Choral strain.
(d) Acapella strain.
10. How does the Chorus function, in relation to Dionysus, in the fifth ode?
(a) As an extension of Dionysus.
(b) As a sister to Dionysus.
(c) As a distinct being, different from Dionysus.
(d) As a conscience to Dionysus.
11. When DIonysus says, "Thy change of mind compels thy praise," with what tone does he say those words?
12. What kind of herd was the first messenger driving when he came upon the women?
13. Who is the "king" for the Chorus?
14. The Chorus says that although divine power is slow, it will punish who?
(a) All people.
(b) The misguided.
(c) The arrogant.
(d) The false gods.
15. What happened that released Dionysus from prison?
(a) A jail-break.
(b) A flood.
(c) A fire.
(d) An earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
2. What is Thebes?
3. How does the Chorus characterize Pentheus's intent to meddle with the rites of Dionysus?
4. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
5. Who ripped the tree out of the ground?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)