|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Chorus say led Pentheus to his doom?
(a) A man.
(b) A centaur.
(c) A bull.
(d) A nymph.
2. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
(a) Dionysus's downfall.
(b) Pentheus's downfall.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Pentheus's revenge.
3. In what kind of strain does the Chorus want to "exalt their Bacchic god?"
(a) Choral strain.
(b) Acapella strain.
(c) Melodious strain.
(d) Harmonious strain.
4. The Chorus says, "I envy not deep _______."
5. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) The beasts of the field.
(b) The wilderness.
(c) A fallen foe.
(d) Other men.
6. During the third ode, the Chorus looks forward to what?
(a) Pentheus's success.
(b) Dionysus's reconciliation with his family.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Pentheus's homage to Dionysus.
7. How does Dionysus promise Pentheus he will return to the city?
(b) With much riches.
(c) Wiser in the ways of the gods.
(d) In the arms of his mother.
8. How does the Chorus suggest they chant about the fall of Pentheus?
9. How did Pentheus die?
10. A happy man, according to the Chorus, is one who from day to day has his life what?
(a) Full of surprises.
(b) Follow tradition.
(d) Reach new levels.
11. Why did Pentheus's mother not recognize him?
(a) She was blind.
(b) He was disguised.
(c) Dionysus made her forget.
(d) She was mad.
12. The Chorus compares "tossing my neck to heaven's dewey breath" to what animal?
13. Why did Pentheus "fall fainting?"
(a) He was overwhelmed.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was exhausted.
(d) He was made to do so by the gods.
14. What happened that released Dionysus from prison?
(a) A jail-break.
(b) A flood.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A fire.
15. According to the Chorus, who will be the first person to "mark" Pentheus?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) HIs aunt.
(d) His daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Chorus says, "'Tis a noble enterprise to dabble the hand in the blood of a son till it drips," how are they speaking?
2. What does the Chorus refer to as the "sure pledge of death" for Pentheus?
3. How many suns does Pentheus see when he comes out in his disguise?
4. What reason did Dionysus give to the women when he ordered them to take their vengeance on Pentheus?
5. Who is supposed to be inspired by the Chorus's fourth ode?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)