|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
2. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) A thunder strike.
(c) A lightening flash.
(d) A lightening strike.
3. Who are the Bacchae?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) Dionysus's followers.
(c) The unbelivers.
(d) The priests of Dionysus.
4. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) An arm.
(b) A stomach.
(c) A head.
(d) A thigh.
5. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Othella.
(b) Mt. Oppilos.
(c) Mt. Olives.
(d) Mt. Olympus.
6. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
7. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) The audience.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
8. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
9. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Maple and pine.
(b) Evergreen and pine.
(c) Holly and pine.
(d) Oak and pine.
10. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
(a) Handsome emotions.
(b) Deep feelings.
(c) Furious rage.
(d) Strong hatred.
11. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because he came so willingly.
(b) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
(c) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
(d) Because he is an old man.
12. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To drink its blood.
(b) To wear its horns.
(c) To eat its meat.
(d) To have company.
13. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
14. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The release of the women.
(b) The intervention of Dionysus.
(c) The release of their cult leader.
(d) The intervention of Zeus.
15. What does Tiresius suffer from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
3. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
4. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
5. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)