|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
(a) The prisoner only speaks in riddles.
(b) He doesn't like the prisoner's answers.
(c) The prisoner doesn't answer him.
(d) He doesn't understand the prisoner.
2. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
3. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Olives.
(b) Mt. Othella.
(c) Mt. Olympus.
(d) Mt. Oppilos.
4. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
(a) Misguided reasons.
(b) Dishonest reasons.
(c) Hurtful reasons.
(d) Selfish reasons.
5. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(b) The Soldier.
(d) The Messenger.
6. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
(a) A god.
(b) A family member.
(c) A king.
(d) An honored guest.
7. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
8. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
9. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
10. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
(a) Kingly guide.
(b) Godly guide.
(c) Celestial guide.
(d) Divine guide.
11. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
12. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
13. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
14. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
(a) With the other women.
(b) In the catacombs.
(c) Traveling abroad.
(d) By herself in her rooms.
15. Who is Dionysus's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
2. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
3. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
4. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
5. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)