|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A dead man.
(b) A blasphemer.
(c) A miser.
(d) A fool.
2. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To do something with their lives.
(b) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(c) To make things for him.
(d) To quiet their drumming.
3. What is the Parodos?
(a) A hymn of longing.
(b) A hymn of lament.
(c) A hymn of praise.
(d) A hymn of desire.
4. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
(a) A spear.
(b) A sword.
(c) A frustus.
(d) A thyrsus.
5. What does Tiresius suffer from?
6. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
(a) Sell them as slaves.
(b) Keep them in the prison.
(c) Make them his mistresses.
(d) Return them to their families.
7. When the Chorus says "Like a colt that gambols at its mother's side," who are they saying is the colt?
(a) The worshipers of Dionysus.
(b) The Greeks.
8. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The alluring gods.
(b) The tempting gods.
(c) The love gods.
(d) The lust gods.
9. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To have company.
(b) To eat its meat.
(c) To drink its blood.
(d) To wear its horns.
10. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(d) The audience.
11. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A cult follower.
(b) The cult leader.
(c) A fellow king.
(d) A god.
12. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-subtle wits.
(b) Over-educated men.
(c) Over-thinking philosophers.
(d) Heavy thinkers.
13. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not living the life of bliss.
(b) Not treating guests as family.
(c) Not caring about the feasts.
(d) Not believing in divinity.
14. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) The leader of the cult.
(b) The people giving money to the cult.
(c) The women.
(d) All his followers.
15. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
(a) The father of sprinklers.
(b) The father of rivers.
(c) The father of streams.
(d) The father of irrigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
2. What kind of meat do the worshipers of Dionysus eat?
3. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
4. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
5. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)