|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
2. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
3. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
4. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
(a) Dionysus's travels.
(b) Dionysus's prophet.
(c) Dionysus's birth.
(d) Dionysus's life.
5. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
(a) Madman and fool.
(b) Madman and idiot.
(c) Madman and philospher.
(d) Madman and rich.
6. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
7. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
8. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) A thigh.
(b) A stomach.
(c) A head.
(d) An arm.
9. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The intervention of Zeus.
(b) The release of the women.
(c) The release of their cult leader.
(d) The intervention of Dionysus.
10. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A pheonix.
(b) A minotaur.
(c) A monster.
(d) A human.
11. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
(a) The piano.
(b) The flute.
(c) The harp.
(d) The banjo.
12. Who is Dionysus's father?
13. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
(a) Deer skins.
(b) Sheep skins.
(c) Fawn skins.
(d) Cow skins.
14. Which foreign river is never fed by rain, according to the Chorus?
15. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because he came so willingly.
(b) Because he is an old man.
(c) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
(d) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
2. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
3. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
4. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
5. What is Semele?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)