|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
(a) Their prayerful behavior.
(b) Their sexual behavior.
(c) Their childish behavior.
(d) Their honest behavior.
2. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
(b) A vine.
(c) A tree.
(d) A mountain.
3. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A hole in the earth.
(b) A gloomy dungeon.
(c) A stinky stable.
(d) A tower too high to climb.
4. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
5. Who is the writer of this play?
6. Who is Hera?
(a) Zeus's wife.
(b) Zeus's mistress.
(c) Zeus's mother.
(d) Zeus's sister.
7. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A monster.
(b) A minotaur.
(c) A pheonix.
(d) A human.
8. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
(a) Furious rage.
(b) Strong hatred.
(c) Deep feelings.
(d) Handsome emotions.
9. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
(a) Dionysus's birth.
(b) Dionysus's life.
(c) Dionysus's travels.
(d) Dionysus's prophet.
10. According to the Chorus, who is Dirce's father?
11. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) The cult leader.
(b) A cult follower.
(c) A fellow king.
(d) A god.
12. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a king.
(b) As a slave.
(c) As a man.
(d) As prey.
13. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(a) The Soldier.
(b) The Messenger.
14. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The lust gods.
(b) The tempting gods.
(c) The love gods.
(d) The alluring gods.
15. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
2. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
3. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
4. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
5. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)