|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, who is Dirce's father?
2. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
3. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(a) The Soldier.
(b) The Messenger.
4. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) A thunder strike.
(c) A lightening flash.
(d) A lightening strike.
5. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A miser.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A fool.
(d) A blasphemer.
6. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Oak and pine.
(b) Evergreen and pine.
(c) Holly and pine.
(d) Maple and pine.
7. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) An arm.
(b) A thigh.
(c) A stomach.
(d) A head.
8. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
9. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-thinking philosophers.
(b) Heavy thinkers.
(c) Over-subtle wits.
(d) Over-educated men.
10. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
(a) Strong hatred.
(b) Deep feelings.
(c) Furious rage.
(d) Handsome emotions.
11. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
12. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
(a) Return them to their families.
(b) Keep them in the prison.
(c) Make them his mistresses.
(d) Sell them as slaves.
13. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
14. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
(a) Animal skins.
(b) Simple clothes.
(c) Leaves and branches.
(d) Robes of purple.
15. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
2. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
3. Who is the writer of this play?
4. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
5. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)