|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(b) To do something with their lives.
(c) To make things for him.
(d) To quiet their drumming.
2. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To have company.
(b) To drink its blood.
(c) To eat its meat.
(d) To wear its horns.
3. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) A thigh.
(b) A stomach.
(c) A head.
(d) An arm.
4. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
(a) A spear.
(b) A thyrsus.
(c) A sword.
(d) A frustus.
5. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
(a) A god.
(b) A family member.
(c) An honored guest.
(d) A king.
6. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
7. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
8. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
9. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
(a) Madman and idiot.
(b) Madman and fool.
(c) Madman and rich.
(d) Madman and philospher.
10. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
(a) Stop his desire for revenge.
(b) Honor the whole family.
(c) Prevent disaster.
(d) Calm the women.
11. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Othella.
(b) Mt. Olives.
(c) Mt. Oppilos.
(d) Mt. Olympus.
12. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
13. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A fool.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A blasphemer.
(d) A miser.
14. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) The women.
(b) The leader of the cult.
(c) The people giving money to the cult.
(d) All his followers.
15. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
2. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
3. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
4. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
5. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)