|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
(a) He is full of praise.
(b) He is greatful.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is awed.
2. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
3. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(a) The Soldier.
(d) The Messenger.
4. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
5. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
(a) Kingly guide.
(b) Celestial guide.
(c) Godly guide.
(d) Divine guide.
6. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
(a) Honoring Pentheus.
(b) Praising Pentheus.
(c) Denouncing Pentheus.
(d) Mocking Pentheus.
7. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
(a) A marriage.
(b) An affair.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A fling.
8. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
9. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because he came so willingly.
(b) Because he is an old man.
(c) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
(d) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
10. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a slave.
(b) As a king.
(c) As a man.
(d) As prey.
11. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
12. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A gloomy dungeon.
(b) A hole in the earth.
(c) A stinky stable.
(d) A tower too high to climb.
13. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) The women.
(b) The people giving money to the cult.
(c) All his followers.
(d) The leader of the cult.
14. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
(a) They are sleeping.
(b) They are dead.
(c) They are free.
(d) They are not eating.
15. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) A head.
(b) A thigh.
(c) A stomach.
(d) An arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
2. Who is Pentheus's father?
3. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
4. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
5. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)