|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
2. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
(a) Madman and idiot.
(b) Madman and philospher.
(c) Madman and rich.
(d) Madman and fool.
3. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The love gods.
(b) The alluring gods.
(c) The tempting gods.
(d) The lust gods.
4. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Othella.
(b) Mt. Oppilos.
(c) Mt. Olympus.
(d) Mt. Olives.
5. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
6. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
7. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
8. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
9. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Garlands of flowers.
(b) Garlands of leaves.
(c) Wreaths of branches.
(d) Crowns of gold.
10. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
11. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
(a) The harp.
(b) The banjo.
(c) The flute.
(d) The piano.
12. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
13. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
14. Who is Hera?
(a) Zeus's sister.
(b) Zeus's mistress.
(c) Zeus's wife.
(d) Zeus's mother.
15. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) His father.
(c) The audience.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dionysus's father?
2. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
3. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
4. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
5. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)