|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
2. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
3. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because he is an old man.
(b) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
(c) Because he came so willingly.
(d) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
4. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her son.
(d) Her father.
5. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) At the river.
(b) In the temple.
(c) Outside the city.
(d) In their homes.
6. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not believing in divinity.
(b) Not treating guests as family.
(c) Not living the life of bliss.
(d) Not caring about the feasts.
7. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's history.
(b) Dionysus's death.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Dionysus's birth.
8. What is Semele?
(a) A spirit.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A mortal.
(d) A goddess.
9. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
10. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
11. What body part kept Dionysus until he was born?
(a) A thigh.
(b) A stomach.
(c) An arm.
(d) A head.
12. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To do something with their lives.
(b) To quiet their drumming.
(c) To make things for him.
(d) To honor other gods and goddesses.
13. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(c) The Soldier.
(d) The Messenger.
14. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not honoring him at their festivals.
(b) Not having a temple for him.
(c) Not giving tributes to him.
(d) Not worshiping him as a god.
15. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A pheonix.
(b) A monster.
(c) A human.
(d) A minotaur.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
2. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
3. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
4. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
5. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)