|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
2. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A tower too high to climb.
(b) A gloomy dungeon.
(c) A hole in the earth.
(d) A stinky stable.
3. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
(a) Reasonable response.
(b) Appropriate response.
(c) Honorable response.
(d) Safe response.
4. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
(c) The Messenger.
(d) The Soldier.
5. Who is the writer of this play?
6. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
7. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
8. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
9. What is Semele?
(a) A nymph.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A mortal.
(d) A spirit.
10. Who is Dionysus's father?
11. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The love gods.
(b) The tempting gods.
(c) The alluring gods.
(d) The lust gods.
12. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
13. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
14. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) The leader of the cult.
(b) The people giving money to the cult.
(c) All his followers.
(d) The women.
15. What kind of meat do the worshipers of Dionysus eat?
(a) Cooked meat.
(b) Old meat.
(c) Fresh meat.
(d) Raw meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
2. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
3. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
4. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
5. The Chorus says, "What ______ ______ the earth-born race displays."
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)