|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To have company.
(b) To wear its horns.
(c) To eat its meat.
(d) To drink its blood.
2. Pentheus scolds Cadmus for looking ________.
3. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A thunder strike.
(b) A thunder storm.
(c) A lightening strike.
(d) A lightening flash.
4. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
(a) The banjo.
(b) The piano.
(c) The harp.
(d) The flute.
5. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a king.
(b) As prey.
(c) As a slave.
(d) As a man.
6. The Chorus says that Dionysus makes his followers laugh away what?
(a) Dull care.
(b) Differences between them.
(c) Small things.
(d) Life's troubles.
7. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
8. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The release of the women.
(b) The release of their cult leader.
(c) The intervention of Dionysus.
(d) The intervention of Zeus.
9. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) The audience.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
10. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not treating guests as family.
(b) Not believing in divinity.
(c) Not caring about the feasts.
(d) Not living the life of bliss.
11. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
(a) Fawn skins.
(b) Deer skins.
(c) Sheep skins.
(d) Cow skins.
12. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To make things for him.
(b) To quiet their drumming.
(c) To do something with their lives.
(d) To honor other gods and goddesses.
13. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
(a) Their prayerful behavior.
(b) Their childish behavior.
(c) Their sexual behavior.
(d) Their honest behavior.
14. According to the Chorus, who is Dirce's father?
15. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
2. Who are the Bacchae?
3. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
4. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
5. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)