|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
(a) Make them his mistresses.
(b) Return them to their families.
(c) Keep them in the prison.
(d) Sell them as slaves.
2. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her son.
3. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
4. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To make things for him.
(b) To quiet their drumming.
(c) To do something with their lives.
(d) To honor other gods and goddesses.
5. What does Tiresius suffer from?
6. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
(a) They are free.
(b) They are sleeping.
(c) They are dead.
(d) They are not eating.
7. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
8. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
9. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
10. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To have company.
(b) To eat its meat.
(c) To drink its blood.
(d) To wear its horns.
11. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A cult follower.
(b) A god.
(c) The cult leader.
(d) A fellow king.
12. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
(a) Rich, poor.
(b) Woman, man.
(c) Adult, child.
(d) Slave, master.
13. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
14. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Heavy thinkers.
(b) Over-subtle wits.
(c) Over-educated men.
(d) Over-thinking philosophers.
15. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Crowns of gold.
(b) Wreaths of branches.
(c) Garlands of leaves.
(d) Garlands of flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
2. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
3. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
4. Who are the Bacchae?
5. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)