|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a man.
(b) As a king.
(c) As a slave.
(d) As prey.
2. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
3. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To have company.
(b) To eat its meat.
(c) To drink its blood.
(d) To wear its horns.
4. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's death.
(b) Dionysus's birth.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Dionysus's history.
5. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
(b) The Chorus.
6. Where has the cult that is in Thebes come from?
7. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
8. Who is the writer of this play?
9. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
10. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who cures the grief of the ________ and the ________.
(a) Woman, man.
(b) Slave, master.
(c) Rich, poor.
(d) Adult, child.
11. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
12. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
13. The Chorus praises Dionysus as a god who brings what?
14. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A god.
(b) A cult follower.
(c) A fellow king.
(d) The cult leader.
15. Pentheus holds what title?
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
2. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
3. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
4. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)