|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is greatful.
(c) He is awed.
(d) He is full of praise.
2. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a slave.
(b) As a king.
(c) As prey.
(d) As a man.
3. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
4. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
(a) The harp.
(b) The banjo.
(c) The flute.
(d) The piano.
5. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
6. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not honoring him at their festivals.
(b) Not having a temple for him.
(c) Not worshiping him as a god.
(d) Not giving tributes to him.
7. Cadmus doesn't say whether or not he believes Dionysus is a god, but tells Pentheus that it would be wise of Pentheus to treat Dionysus as what?
(a) A god.
(b) An honored guest.
(c) A family member.
(d) A king.
8. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
9. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
10. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
11. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
(a) Dionysus's prophet.
(b) Dionysus's birth.
(c) Dionysus's life.
(d) Dionysus's travels.
12. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Heavy thinkers.
(b) Over-subtle wits.
(c) Over-thinking philosophers.
(d) Over-educated men.
13. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
(a) Leaves and branches.
(b) Robes of purple.
(c) Simple clothes.
(d) Animal skins.
14. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) The audience.
15. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Parodos?
2. Who is Hera?
3. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
4. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
5. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)