|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
2. Pentheus is obsessed with what aspect of the women's behavior?
(a) Their prayerful behavior.
(b) Their childish behavior.
(c) Their honest behavior.
(d) Their sexual behavior.
3. Who are the Bacchae?
(a) The unbelivers.
(b) Dionysus's followers.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The priests of Dionysus.
4. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
5. Pentheus accuses Tiresius of supporting Dionysus for what reasons?
(a) Selfish reasons.
(b) Misguided reasons.
(c) Dishonest reasons.
(d) Hurtful reasons.
6. According to the Chorus, who is Zeus's father?
7. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A vine.
(d) A tree.
8. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(b) To make things for him.
(c) To quiet their drumming.
(d) To do something with their lives.
9. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Othella.
(b) Mt. Olympus.
(c) Mt. Olives.
(d) Mt. Oppilos.
10. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
11. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
(a) Prevent disaster.
(b) Stop his desire for revenge.
(c) Honor the whole family.
(d) Calm the women.
12. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
13. Pentheus holds what title?
14. What is Semele?
(a) A mortal.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A nymph.
(d) A spirit.
15. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not honoring him at their festivals.
(b) Not giving tributes to him.
(c) Not having a temple for him.
(d) Not worshiping him as a god.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
2. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
3. Who is Hera?
4. What place does the Chorus call the "haunt of beasts?"
5. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)