|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
2. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
3. The Chorus asks Dionysus to lead them places and act as their what?
(a) Divine guide.
(b) Godly guide.
(c) Celestial guide.
(d) Kingly guide.
4. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not caring about the feasts.
(b) Not living the life of bliss.
(c) Not treating guests as family.
(d) Not believing in divinity.
5. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
(a) Inviting revenge.
(b) A shame.
(c) Real madness.
(d) A folly.
6. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
7. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With rage.
(b) With pity.
(c) With fear.
(d) With anger.
8. What is the Parodos?
(a) A hymn of praise.
(b) A hymn of longing.
(c) A hymn of desire.
(d) A hymn of lament.
9. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A fellow king.
(b) A cult follower.
(c) The cult leader.
(d) A god.
10. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The tempting gods.
(b) The love gods.
(c) The lust gods.
(d) The alluring gods.
11. Who is Hera?
(a) Zeus's sister.
(b) Zeus's wife.
(c) Zeus's mistress.
(d) Zeus's mother.
12. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
13. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
14. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In the temple.
(b) Outside the city.
(c) At the river.
(d) In their homes.
15. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Wreaths of branches.
(b) Garlands of flowers.
(c) Garlands of leaves.
(d) Crowns of gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
3. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
4. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
5. The Chorus says that sophistry is not what?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)