|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Dionysus's father have with his mother?
(a) A marriage.
(b) A ritual.
(c) A fling.
(d) An affair.
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
(a) Stop his desire for revenge.
(b) Prevent disaster.
(c) Calm the women.
(d) Honor the whole family.
3. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
(a) A thyrsus.
(b) A frustus.
(c) A sword.
(d) A spear.
4. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
5. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) The people giving money to the cult.
(b) The women.
(c) All his followers.
(d) The leader of the cult.
6. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
(b) Because he is an old man.
(c) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
(d) Because he came so willingly.
7. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(b) His mother.
(c) The audience.
(d) His father.
8. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
9. What is the Axius?
(a) A stream.
(b) A river.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A sea.
10. What does Tiresius suffer from?
11. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
12. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Olympus.
(b) Mt. Olives.
(c) Mt. Othella.
(d) Mt. Oppilos.
13. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
14. The Chorus says that Dionysus makes his followers laugh away what?
(a) Differences between them.
(b) Small things.
(c) Life's troubles.
(d) Dull care.
15. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In their homes.
(b) In the temple.
(c) At the river.
(d) Outside the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
2. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
3. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
4. Wildness and _________ are synonymous with the worship of Dionysus.
5. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)