|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
2. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not having a temple for him.
(b) Not giving tributes to him.
(c) Not worshiping him as a god.
(d) Not honoring him at their festivals.
3. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In their homes.
(b) Outside the city.
(c) At the river.
(d) In the temple.
4. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To make things for him.
(b) To quiet their drumming.
(c) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(d) To do something with their lives.
5. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
6. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
(a) The prisoner only speaks in riddles.
(b) He doesn't like the prisoner's answers.
(c) The prisoner doesn't answer him.
(d) He doesn't understand the prisoner.
7. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A gloomy dungeon.
(b) A stinky stable.
(c) A tower too high to climb.
(d) A hole in the earth.
8. Pentheus holds what title?
9. What is Semele?
(a) A mortal.
(b) A goddess.
(c) A nymph.
(d) A spirit.
10. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) All his followers.
(b) The people giving money to the cult.
(c) The women.
(d) The leader of the cult.
11. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(a) The audience.
(b) His father.
(d) His mother.
12. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A lightening flash.
(b) A lightening strike.
(c) A thunder strike.
(d) A thunder storm.
13. According to the Chorus, why does Dionysus chase the goat?
(a) To drink its blood.
(b) To eat its meat.
(c) To have company.
(d) To wear its horns.
14. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Evergreen and pine.
(b) Maple and pine.
(c) Oak and pine.
(d) Holly and pine.
15. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
2. What does Tiresius suffer from?
3. Pentheus is ______ by the worshipers of Dionysus.
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
5. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)