|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
(a) A spear.
(b) A thyrsus.
(c) A frustus.
(d) A sword.
2. Why is the soldier ashamed to bring Dionysus to Pentheus?
(a) Because he is an old man.
(b) Because the soldier doesn't like Pentheus.
(c) Because he came so willingly.
(d) Because the soldier believes in Dionysus as a god.
3. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
(a) Animal skins.
(b) Leaves and branches.
(c) Simple clothes.
(d) Robes of purple.
4. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus planning on doing?
(a) Pretending to be women.
(b) Partying with the women.
(c) Honoring Dionysus.
(d) Praying to Dionysus in the temple.
6. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A thunder strike.
(b) A lightening flash.
(c) A lightening strike.
(d) A thunder storm.
7. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
(a) Deer skins.
(b) Sheep skins.
(c) Cow skins.
(d) Fawn skins.
8. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
(a) Dionysus's life.
(b) Dionysus's birth.
(c) Dionysus's prophet.
(d) Dionysus's travels.
9. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
10. Pentheus orders the capture of Dionysus and who?
(a) All his followers.
(b) The people giving money to the cult.
(c) The women.
(d) The leader of the cult.
11. What describes the stories that Pentheus shares about the women and their worship of Dionysus?
12. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing on their heads?
(a) Garlands of flowers.
(b) Wreaths of branches.
(c) Crowns of gold.
(d) Garlands of leaves.
13. What is the Axius?
(a) A sea.
(b) A river.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A stream.
14. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
15. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
2. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
3. What instrument does the Chorus say Dionysus can "wake?"
4. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
5. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)