|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chorus extolls the virtue of simple what?
2. Who says, "By this name, O Baccic god, I now proclaim thee to Thebes?"
(d) The Chorus.
3. What is Semele?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A nymph.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A mortal.
4. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's revenge.
(b) Dionysus's death.
(c) Dionysus's birth.
(d) Dionysus's history.
5. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
6. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
7. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
8. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In their homes.
(b) At the river.
(c) Outside the city.
(d) In the temple.
9. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A monster.
(b) A human.
(c) A minotaur.
(d) A pheonix.
10. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A fellow king.
(b) A cult follower.
(c) A god.
(d) The cult leader.
11. What relationship is Pentheus to Dionysus?
12. When Dionysus was born, he was crowned with a coronal of what?
13. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
(a) Animal skins.
(b) Leaves and branches.
(c) Robes of purple.
(d) Simple clothes.
14. If you aim too high, and miss the pleasures within your reach, the Chorus would consider you a what?
(a) Madman and fool.
(b) Madman and philospher.
(c) Madman and rich.
(d) Madman and idiot.
15. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
2. In the Chorus's first lines, they believe that a happy man is one who leads what kind of life?
3. What story does Pentheus scoff at?
4. Who is Hera?
5. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)