|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Chorus referring to when they say "earth-born?"
2. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Maple and pine.
(b) Holly and pine.
(c) Evergreen and pine.
(d) Oak and pine.
3. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
(a) Dionysus's death.
(b) Dionysus's birth.
(c) Dionysus's revenge.
(d) Dionysus's history.
4. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A thunder strike.
(b) A lightening flash.
(c) A lightening strike.
(d) A thunder storm.
5. The Chorus says that Dionysus makes his followers laugh away what?
(a) Small things.
(b) Life's troubles.
(c) Differences between them.
(d) Dull care.
6. According to the Chorus, who dwells on Cyprus?
(a) The alluring gods.
(b) The lust gods.
(c) The tempting gods.
(d) The love gods.
7. What does Tiresius suffer from?
8. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A monster.
(b) A human.
(c) A minotaur.
(d) A pheonix.
9. What "enriches with his waters a fair land of steeds?"
(a) The father of irrigation.
(b) The father of sprinklers.
(c) The father of streams.
(d) The father of rivers.
10. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
11. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With rage.
(b) With pity.
(c) With fear.
(d) With anger.
12. The Chorus says that "true wisdom is keeping the heart and soul aloof" from what?
(a) Over-thinking philosophers.
(b) Over-subtle wits.
(c) Heavy thinkers.
(d) Over-educated men.
13. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not honoring him at their festivals.
(b) Not having a temple for him.
(c) Not worshiping him as a god.
(d) Not giving tributes to him.
14. According to the soldier when he brings Dionysus, what happened to the women in their prison?
(a) They are dead.
(b) They are not eating.
(c) They are free.
(d) They are sleeping.
15. Pentheus holds what title?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
2. Cadmus tells Pentheus that if he would call Dionysus a god, it would do what?
3. Who leaves the stage right before the Chorus enters for the first time?
4. Tiresius says that failing to give honor where honor is due is what?
5. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)