|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pentheus become enraged when questioning his prisoner?
(a) He doesn't like the prisoner's answers.
(b) The prisoner doesn't answer him.
(c) He doesn't understand the prisoner.
(d) The prisoner only speaks in riddles.
2. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
3. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
(a) A miser.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A fool.
(d) A blasphemer.
4. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
5. According to the Chorus, who was "sprung of a dragon of old?"
6. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her father.
7. How does Tiresius respond to Pentheus's order to destroy his property?
(a) With pity.
(b) With fear.
(c) With rage.
(d) With anger.
8. What word describes both Tiresius and Cadmus?
9. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
(a) A lightening flash.
(b) A lightening strike.
(c) A thunder storm.
(d) A thunder strike.
10. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not believing in divinity.
(b) Not treating guests as family.
(c) Not living the life of bliss.
(d) Not caring about the feasts.
11. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The intervention of Dionysus.
(b) The intervention of Zeus.
(c) The release of the women.
(d) The release of their cult leader.
12. Tiresius tells Pentheus not to rely on what, to dominate mankind?
13. The Chorus, in the Parodos, describes the joy of worship with what?
14. Where is Pentheus's mother at the beginning of the play?
(a) With the other women.
(b) By herself in her rooms.
(c) In the catacombs.
(d) Traveling abroad.
15. The Chorus wants Thebes to "burst forth" with boughs of what?
(a) Maple and pine.
(b) Evergreen and pine.
(c) Oak and pine.
(d) Holly and pine.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus says that Cyprus is the isle of what goddess?
2. What is the point the Chorus makes in their second ode?
3. The Chorus says that Dionysus makes his followers laugh away what?
4. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
5. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)