|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, the end of all unbridled speech would bring what?
2. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
3. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) A cult follower.
(b) The cult leader.
(c) A god.
(d) A fellow king.
4. On which mountain do the Pierian Muses have their "haunt most fair?"
(a) Mt. Olives.
(b) Mt. Olympus.
(c) Mt. Oppilos.
(d) Mt. Othella.
5. According to the Chorus, where did Pentheus put his prisoner?
(a) A tower too high to climb.
(b) A stinky stable.
(c) A gloomy dungeon.
(d) A hole in the earth.
6. According to the Chorus, who is Zeus's father?
7. Who used his lute to gather trees to his ministry?
8. Who is Pentheus's father?
9. Who honors Dionysus's mother's burial site?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her uncle.
10. The Chorus says that Dionysus is the "nurse divine of _______."
11. Because of what happened to the women, the soldier thinks that Dionysus causes what?
12. What do the worshipers of Dionysus dress in?
(a) Robes of purple.
(b) Leaves and branches.
(c) Simple clothes.
(d) Animal skins.
13. At the beginning of the play, where are the women of Thebes?
(a) In their homes.
(b) Outside the city.
(c) At the river.
(d) In the temple.
14. What is the Chorus praying for in the second ode?
(a) The release of their cult leader.
(b) The release of the women.
(c) The intervention of Zeus.
(d) The intervention of Dionysus.
15. What would a follower of Dionysus "brandish" while wearing a crown of ivy?
(a) A frustus.
(b) A spear.
(c) A thyrsus.
(d) A sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cadmus and Tiresius talk to Pentheus, what does the Chorus call Pentheus?
2. What story is told in the Chorus's first appearance?
3. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
4. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
5. What are Tiresius and Cadmus wearing?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)