|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, Dionysus says that all foreigners celebrate his mysteries with what?
2. Dionysus has taken what form so he can punish people?
(a) A monster.
(b) A human.
(c) A pheonix.
(d) A minotaur.
3. When Dionysus says, multiple times, that the god is before Pentheus, what is Pentheus' reaction?
(a) He is full of praise.
(b) He is awed.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is greatful.
4. Who does Dionysus address in the play's prologue?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) The audience.
5. What did Dionysus cause to infect the women of Thebes?
6. Pentheus is disturbed by the conversation with Cadmus and Tiresius and orders the destruction of Tiresius's what?
7. When Dionysus speaks to Pentheus for the first time, where does he say his home is?
8. Why does Pentheus want the women to spin at the loom?
(a) To honor other gods and goddesses.
(b) To quiet their drumming.
(c) To make things for him.
(d) To do something with their lives.
9. According to the Chorus, what is hateful to Dionysus?
(a) Not caring about the feasts.
(b) Not believing in divinity.
(c) Not treating guests as family.
(d) Not living the life of bliss.
10. When Pentheus orders Dionysus locked up, who does he think Dionysus is?
(a) The cult leader.
(b) A cult follower.
(c) A god.
(d) A fellow king.
11. Dionysus wants to punish people in Thebes for what?
(a) Not having a temple for him.
(b) Not giving tributes to him.
(c) Not honoring him at their festivals.
(d) Not worshiping him as a god.
12. Pentheus says that he will do what to the women he has captured?
(a) Return them to their families.
(b) Sell them as slaves.
(c) Make them his mistresses.
(d) Keep them in the prison.
13. How does the servant who brings Dionysus in to Pentheus refer to Dionysus?
(a) As a man.
(b) As prey.
(c) As a slave.
(d) As a king.
14. What is Semele?
(a) A mortal.
(b) A spirit.
(c) A nymph.
(d) A goddess.
15. What is the Axius?
(a) A sea.
(b) A stream.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A river.
Short Answer Questions
1. This Chorus's point of view is that Dionysus is what?
2. The Chorus suggests that worship is the only ________ ________ to the gods.
3. What destroyed Dionysus's mother?
4. Tiresius tells Pentheus that the story of Dionysus is a what?
5. The Chorus says they have traveled over what "holy ridge" to "hasten to a pleasant task?"
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)