|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Exodos.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the first messenger not want to tell Pentheus the truth of what he saw?
(a) He didn't see anything.
(b) He fears Pentheus's delight.
(c) He fears Pentheus's rage.
(d) He doesn't know the truth.
2. According to the Chorus, when is it right to override the laws of custom?
(a) On occasion.
(b) When it is in the interests of the people.
(c) When it is in the interests of the gods.
3. What did Dionysus raise "twixt heaven and earth" when he spoke from heaven?
(a) A darkness.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A column of flame.
(d) A cloud.
4. The Chorus says that true wisdom, as granted by the heavens to the mortals, is to gain mastery over what?
(a) The beasts of the field.
(b) Other men.
(c) A fallen foe.
(d) The wilderness.
5. What rises from the site of Dionysus's mother's death?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A vine.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chorus extols the virtues of the simple man who lives within what?
2. How did Pentheus die?
3. How many gates does Pentheus say Thebes has?
4. What is the Chorus celebrating in the fifth ode?
5. According to the messenger, what has Pentheus's mother won?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)