|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zyanya die?
2. With Motecuzoma's permission, where does Cortes take up residence?
3. What animal does Mixtli roast on the shore once he is no longer adrift at sea?
4. Who kills Blood Gutton?
5. What happens to Ticklish after she gives birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Motecuzoma do instead of making peace and preparing for the Outlander invasion?
2. How does Motecuzoma handle the attack of the tribute collector?
3. According to legend, who induces the people from Aztlan to seek power by worshiping the war god and feeding him with human sacrifices?
4. What kinds of weapons does Cortes place on the roof of Motecuzoma's palace?
5. What do Siriame and Mixtli do after they take jipuri cacti?
6. What does Mixtli do to show his urgency among the priests who hold the purple dye?
7. Who is Canautli?
8. Who decides to make up a story about how the civilians (that Mixtli killed) were massacred by unknown assailants?
9. Why is Beu Ribe initially angry at Zyanya and Mixtli's engagement?
10. What features does Mixtli like in the house Ahuitzotl builds for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in the story are married -- often more than once -- throughout the novel. Discuss the function of marriage within Aztec and what message, if any, Jennings is trying to convey about marriage itself through his characters.
Essay Topic 2
As two men with similar traits but different practices, Mixtli and Motecuzoma travel parallel paths in Aztec. Compare and contrast these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Tlatli and Chimali, making sure to analyze them as individual characters as well as their relationship with each other.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)