|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "weapon" of Cortes's terrifies the native warriors?
2. What do the Spanish soldiers admire about the city of Tenochtitlan?
3. What does Nezahualpili warn about starting wars with other groups during a conference that Mixtil attends?
4. When Malintzin comes to talk to Mixtli about a truce, what state is he in?
5. What does Mixtli encourage the ruler of Aztlan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mixtli deployed to kill Malintzin?
2. What does Mixtli do to show his urgency among the priests who hold the purple dye?
3. Why does Mixtli feel obligated to attend Motecuzoma's coronation?
4. Who does Mixtli suspect rapes Beu Ribe?
5. According to legend, who induces the people from Aztlan to seek power by worshiping the war god and feeding him with human sacrifices?
6. How are Mixtli's crystals and bone carvings received?
7. What kinds of weapons does Cortes place on the roof of Motecuzoma's palace?
8. What features does Mixtli like in the house Ahuitzotl builds for him?
9. What does Motecuzoma do instead of making peace and preparing for the Outlander invasion?
10. What reason does the Bishop give in his letter to the emperor for continuing to allow the Indians to be enslaved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in the story are married -- often more than once -- throughout the novel. Discuss the function of marriage within Aztec and what message, if any, Jennings is trying to convey about marriage itself through his characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mixtli's journey to and interaction with the Raramuri people represent one of the central themes of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Is Mixtli a good or bad man? Make sure to use specific, direct evidence from Aztec to support your argument.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)