|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deity comes to Mixtli in a vision?
2. How does Nochipa die?
3. What religion are the Spaniards trying to spread?
4. Whom does Mixtli leave his daughter with when he goes on another journey after the flood?
5. What disease do several women who have slept with the Spaniards catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the Bishop give in his letter to the emperor for continuing to allow the Indians to be enslaved?
2. For how long are Mixtli and Zyanya married before Zyanya finally becomes pregnant?
3. According to legend, who induces the people from Aztlan to seek power by worshiping the war god and feeding him with human sacrifices?
4. How does Motecuzoma handle the attack of the tribute collector?
5. What is the only thing that provides a cheerful diversion for Mixtli during the time he spends building a new colony?
6. What unique physical feature does the "unattached woman" in one of the Otomi towns have that Mixtl finds so attractive?
7. What features does Mixtli like in the house Ahuitzotl builds for him?
8. Who is Canautli?
9. What does Malintzin's ambitious behavior demonstrate right away to Mixtli?
10. What kinds of weapons does Cortes place on the roof of Motecuzoma's palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex plays a major role in Aztec. Choose three scenes where characters have sex, describe what the reader learns about those characters through their choice to sleep with each other, and describe at least one literary device Jennings uses to convey information to the reader about each character in each scene.
Essay Topic 2
Create a well-crafted essay that discusses 1) the function of the Bishop, 2) what the reader is supposed to think of the Bishop, and 3) at least three literary devices that Jennings uses to convey what the Bishop thinks of Mixtli's life story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss female sexuality in Aztec by completing a character analysis of at least two female characters of the novel.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)