|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teotihuacan mean?
2. What horrifies the Spanish soldiers about the city of Tenochtitlan?
3. Whom does Mixtli send to exact revenge on his enemy in the duel?
4. According to his vision, what is to be Mixtli's role in the future?
5. When Mixtli finds shore after being adrift, under what kind of tree does Mixtli collapse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the Bishop give in his letter to the emperor for continuing to allow the Indians to be enslaved?
2. What does Motecuzoma do instead of making peace and preparing for the Outlander invasion?
3. What features does Mixtli like in the house Ahuitzotl builds for him?
4. What do Siriame and Mixtli do after they take jipuri cacti?
5. Why does Cortes burn all of his ships but one?
6. Why is Beu Ribe initially angry at Zyanya and Mixtli's engagement?
7. What unique physical feature does the "unattached woman" in one of the Otomi towns have that Mixtl finds so attractive?
8. For how long are Mixtli and Zyanya married before Zyanya finally becomes pregnant?
9. Why does Mixtli feel obligated to attend Motecuzoma's coronation?
10. Why is Mixtli deployed to kill Malintzin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At certain points in Aztec, the reader may find the narrative unbelievable. Discuss three literary devices Jennings uses to create a sense of believability in a story with many plot developments that may seems contrived at times. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Complete a character analysis of Tzitzi, making sure to analyze specifically how and what her character contributes to other characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how an act or element of nature that is used in the novel to aid in either plot OR character development. Make sure to address at least 3 literary devices that Jennings uses as well as direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)