|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mixtli enjoy feeling an earthquake for the first time?
2. After the battle, what is Mixtli asked to do by Reverend Speaker?
3. What does Mixtli learn about the Mexican people in his first history class?
4. Who is Lady Jadestone Doll?
5. Where does Mixtli return to after his first journey as a tradesman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the cacao-colored man who often wanders the streets?
2. According to legend, which god is said to return with the Toltec people?
3. What happens to Mixtli's boatmen while he is searching for the purple dye?
4. How old is Mixtli when he sees his first human sacrifice?
5. Who is Armed Scorpio?
6. Why is Mixtli's home area called the five lakes region?
7. How do Zyanya and Beu Ribe decide who goes with Mixtli to find the purple dye?
8. What does Blood Glutton encourage the young Mixtli to do?
9. In the opening of the book, what does Mixtli's sister, Tzitzilini, get punished for?
10. Who tells Mixtli the truth about what has happened to his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mixtli's journey to and interaction with the Raramuri people represent one of the central themes of the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss female sexuality in Aztec by completing a character analysis of at least two female characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Using direct evidence from the text, discuss what Mixtli's near-sightedness symbolizes and at least 3 literary devices Jennings uses to convey this symbolism.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)