|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the "five hollow days" in Mixtli's hometown?
2. Where does Tepetzalan work?
3. What kind of trial is held after Lady Jadestone Doll's crimes are discovered?
4. What overwhelms Mixtli about the boat that takes him to Texcoco ?
5. Why is Tzitzi summoned by priests?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Bishop writes down Mixtli's tale of going to the court of Texcoco, what commentary does he add?
2. Who tells Mixtli the truth about what has happened to his sister?
3. Why do Tlatli and Chimali decline Mixtli's request regarding his sister?
4. What kind act does Mixtli do for Flame Flower?
5. How does Mixtli react when he sees the "tapir woman" in the ruler's human zoo?
6. Who is the cacao-colored man who often wanders the streets?
7. Why doesn't Mixtli have sex with the female slave that all of the young men from his hometown hire?
8. What happens to Cozcatl when Mixtli is at the human zoo?
9. What favor does Mixtli ask of his friends Tlatli and Chimali after his sister is summoned by the priests?
10. What is the legend that surrounds the Tolecs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a well-crafted essay that discusses 1) the function of the Bishop, 2) what the reader is supposed to think of the Bishop, and 3) at least three literary devices that Jennings uses to convey what the Bishop thinks of Mixtli's life story.
Essay Topic 2
Sex plays a major role in Aztec. Choose three scenes where characters have sex, describe what the reader learns about those characters through their choice to sleep with each other, and describe at least one literary device Jennings uses to convey information to the reader about each character in each scene.
Essay Topic 3
Present an argument that discusses whether or not the dream Mixtli has -- about surviving the coming destruction of the One World in order to tell the story about the civilization that is about to be destroyed -- predicts the future or causes Mixtli to fulfill the prophecy he has seen for himself. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)