|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chimali hide his hair as a child?
2. During his first trip as a tradesman, what does Mixtli learn about the great cities the Maya had built?
3. What kind of trial is held after Lady Jadestone Doll's crimes are discovered?
4. Why does Mixtli enjoy feeling an earthquake for the first time?
5. Who built Teotihuacan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mixtli's boatmen while he is searching for the purple dye?
2. Why doesn't Mixtli have sex with the female slave that all of the young men from his hometown hire?
3. Why do Tlatli and Chimali decline Mixtli's request regarding his sister?
4. Who tells Mixtli the truth about what has happened to his sister?
5. According to Blood Glutton, how can Mixtli still achieve a flowery death if he cannot be victorious in battle?
6. According to legend, which god is said to return with the Toltec people?
7. What kinds of costumes do children wear to celebrate the end of the hollow days?
8. What happens to Cozcatl when Mixtli is at the human zoo?
9. What prediction does a stranger, who is sitting on a bench, make about Mixtli's future shortly after his renaming ceremony?
10. What is the legend that surrounds the Tolecs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the flood that sweeps Zyanya away to her death, making sure to use specific evidence in the text as you discuss both the symbolism behind the flood and what its consequences (e.g., the death of Zyanya) mean within the larger context of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Present an argument that discusses whether or not the dream Mixtli has -- about surviving the coming destruction of the One World in order to tell the story about the civilization that is about to be destroyed -- predicts the future or causes Mixtli to fulfill the prophecy he has seen for himself. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Create a well-crafted essay that discusses 1) the function of the Bishop, 2) what the reader is supposed to think of the Bishop, and 3) at least three literary devices that Jennings uses to convey what the Bishop thinks of Mixtli's life story.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)