|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the purple dye is so intriguing when Mixtli first hears of it?
2. Why does Mixtli draw a picture of Pactli for Lady Jadestone Doll?
3. As children, what do Chimali and Mixtli pretend they are and will be as adults?
4. Where does Mixtli find huge fossil bones?
5. Who does Pactli wish to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tlatli and Chimali decline Mixtli's request regarding his sister?
2. Who is the cacao-colored man who often wanders the streets?
3. What does Mixtli do to the tapestry, made by his rival Chimali, when he sees it in a foreign ruler's court?
4. Why do the Maya purposefully deform their faces?
5. Who is Armed Scorpio?
6. What kinds of costumes do children wear to celebrate the end of the hollow days?
7. Who tells Mixtli the truth about what has happened to his sister?
8. According to legend, which god is said to return with the Toltec people?
9. In the opening of the book, what does Mixtli's sister, Tzitzilini, get punished for?
10. What kind act does Mixtli do for Flame Flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using direct evidence from the text, discuss what Mixtli's near-sightedness symbolizes and at least 3 literary devices Jennings uses to convey this symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the incestuous relationship between Mixtli and Tzitzi, its effect on the reader, and its function in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what you think is the most prominent motif OR theme, and explain why, supporting your choice with ample evidence form the text.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)