|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thought to be behind Gie Bele's death?
2. What does Mixtli notice about Zyanya and Beu Ribe's blouses?
3. What happens to Mixtli on his way to Gie Bele's house the second time?
4. Who comes up to see Lady Jadestone Doll when Pactli is expected?
5. What happens to Mixtli's vision after his naming ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mixtli's sister seduce him?
2. Why do the Maya purposefully deform their faces?
3. After the Bishop writes down Mixtli's tale of going to the court of Texcoco, what commentary does he add?
4. Why do Tlatli and Chimali decline Mixtli's request regarding his sister?
5. Who is Armed Scorpio?
6. Why does Chimali hide his hair?
7. Why is Mixtli's home area called the five lakes region?
8. Why doesn't Mixtli have sex with the female slave that all of the young men from his hometown hire?
9. According to Blood Glutton, how can Mixtli still achieve a flowery death if he cannot be victorious in battle?
10. What particular product, used by a doctor to try to save Slave Ten's life, does Mixtli find so interesting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At certain points in Aztec, the reader may find the narrative unbelievable. Discuss three literary devices Jennings uses to create a sense of believability in a story with many plot developments that may seems contrived at times. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Using direct evidence from the text, discuss what Mixtli's near-sightedness symbolizes and at least 3 literary devices Jennings uses to convey this symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Tlatli and Chimali, making sure to analyze them as individual characters as well as their relationship with each other.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)