|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
2. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
3. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
4. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
5. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
2. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
3. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
4. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
5. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
6. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
7. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
8. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
9. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
10. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Alcee call Edna's new home the "pigeon-house"? Is the term symbolic in any way?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Edna says that "Her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an accident." Why?
Essay Topic 3
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)