|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
2. Who suddenly appears before Victor and Mariequita?
3. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
4. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
5. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
2. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
3. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
4. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
5. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
6. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
7. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
8. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
9. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
10. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize this novel? Is it a piece of literary romanticism? Realism? Naturalism? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Edna says that "Her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an accident." Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Alcee call Edna's new home the "pigeon-house"? Is the term symbolic in any way?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)