|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
2. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
3. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
4. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
5. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
2. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
3. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
4. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
5. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
6. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
7. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
8. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
9. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
10. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author depict Edna's sense of being suffocated by the cultural restrictions on women in the 19th century? Do you think it is a fair assessment of how women lived during that time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Alcee Arobin. Knowing his reputation, why does Edna still want to be with him? How is he important in her development into an independent, free-thinking woman?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)