|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
2. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
3. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
4. Who interrupts Edna's and Robert's meeting?
5. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
2. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
3. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
4. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
5. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
6. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
7. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
8. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
9. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
10. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 30, when Edna has her guests over for her coup d'etat dinner party, there is a moment when she retreats into her own thoughts. "But as she sat there amid her guests, she felt the old ennui overtaking her; the hopelessness which so often assailed her, which came upon her like an obsession, like something extraneous, independent of volition. It was something which announced itself; a chill breath that seemed to issue from some vast cavern wherein discords walled. There came over her the acute longing which always summoned into her spiritual vision the presence of the beloved one, overpowering her at once with a sense of the unattainable."
What does this passage mean? What does is say about Edna at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize this novel? Is it a piece of literary romanticism? Realism? Naturalism? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)