|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect has Alcee had on Edna?
2. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
3. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
4. Who is Alcee Arobin?
5. How does Edna react to the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
2. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
3. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
4. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
5. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
6. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
7. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
8. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
9. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
10. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of the final moments in Edna's life? Was she a coward for taking her own life? Or, was she brave in making the final decision on how to conclude her life?
Essay Topic 2
Is The Awakening a critique of women's stature in the late 19th century? Was Kate Chopin taking a risk by writing this at the time she did?
Essay Topic 3
As the story progresses, Edna chooses independence over marriage. Did she do the right thing? What, if anything, did she lose? What did she gain?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)