|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
2. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
3. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
4. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
5. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
2. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
3. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
4. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
5. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
6. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
7. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
8. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
9. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
10. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author depict Edna's sense of being suffocated by the cultural restrictions on women in the 19th century? Do you think it is a fair assessment of how women lived during that time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Alcee Arobin. Knowing his reputation, why does Edna still want to be with him? How is he important in her development into an independent, free-thinking woman?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize this novel? Is it a piece of literary romanticism? Realism? Naturalism? Why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)