|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
2. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
3. What effect has Alcee had on Edna?
4. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
5. How does Edna react to the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
2. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
3. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
4. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
5. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
6. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
7. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
8. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
9. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
10. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Awakening a critique of women's stature in the late 19th century? Was Kate Chopin taking a risk by writing this at the time she did?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of the final moments in Edna's life? Was she a coward for taking her own life? Or, was she brave in making the final decision on how to conclude her life?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)