|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
2. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
3. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
4. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
5. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
2. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
3. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
4. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
5. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
6. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
7. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
8. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
9. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
10. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 30, when Edna has her guests over for her coup d'etat dinner party, there is a moment when she retreats into her own thoughts. "But as she sat there amid her guests, she felt the old ennui overtaking her; the hopelessness which so often assailed her, which came upon her like an obsession, like something extraneous, independent of volition. It was something which announced itself; a chill breath that seemed to issue from some vast cavern wherein discords walled. There came over her the acute longing which always summoned into her spiritual vision the presence of the beloved one, overpowering her at once with a sense of the unattainable."
What does this passage mean? What does is say about Edna at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of the final moments in Edna's life? Was she a coward for taking her own life? Or, was she brave in making the final decision on how to conclude her life?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)