|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
2. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
3. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
4. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
5. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
2. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
3. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
4. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
5. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
6. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
7. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
8. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
9. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
10. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Edna says that "Her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an accident." Why?
Essay Topic 2
As the story progresses, Edna chooses independence over marriage. Did she do the right thing? What, if anything, did she lose? What did she gain?
Essay Topic 3
Is The Awakening a critique of women's stature in the late 19th century? Was Kate Chopin taking a risk by writing this at the time she did?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)