|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
2. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
3. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
4. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
5. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
2. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
3. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
4. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
7. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
8. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
9. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
10. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the story progresses, Edna chooses independence over marriage. Did she do the right thing? What, if anything, did she lose? What did she gain?
Essay Topic 2
Edna could have insisted that Robert come with her to the Ratignolle's house but did not. If they had gone together, would they have had a chance at a lifetime of happiness, or, were they doomed no matter what?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author depict Edna's sense of being suffocated by the cultural restrictions on women in the 19th century? Do you think it is a fair assessment of how women lived during that time?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)