|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
2. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
3. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
4. Who does Mr. Pontellier discuss with the doctor?
5. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
2. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
3. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
4. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
5. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
6. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
7. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
8. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
9. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
10. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Mandelet is also an important character in this story. Why? Why does Leonce feel more at ease opening up about his marital problems with the doctor than confronting Edna directly about their difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think of the final moments in Edna's life? Was she a coward for taking her own life? Or, was she brave in making the final decision on how to conclude her life?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Edna is so drawn to Robert? Describe first how they meet, and how their relationship develops. What is it about Edna's life that is so lacking that she feels so drawn to him?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)