|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alcee Arobin?
2. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
3. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
4. Where will Edna move?
5. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
2. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
3. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
4. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
5. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
6. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
7. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
8. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
9. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
10. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna could have insisted that Robert come with her to the Ratignolle's house but did not. If they had gone together, would they have had a chance at a lifetime of happiness, or, were they doomed no matter what?
Essay Topic 2
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Edna is so drawn to Robert? Describe first how they meet, and how their relationship develops. What is it about Edna's life that is so lacking that she feels so drawn to him?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)