|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
2. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
3. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
4. What is a mulatresse?
5. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
2. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
3. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
4. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
5. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
6. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
7. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
8. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
9. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
10. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author depict Edna's sense of being suffocated by the cultural restrictions on women in the 19th century? Do you think it is a fair assessment of how women lived during that time?
Essay Topic 2
The story begins at Grand Isle and ends there. Why?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning the author portrays Leonce Pontellier in a negative light. But is he a truly a bad or evil person? Or is he just being the typical traditional southern man? Does he believe that he is being unfair or mean toward Edna?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)