|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
2. Who is Alcee Arobin?
3. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
4. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
5. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
2. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
3. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
4. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
5. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
6. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
7. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
8. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
9. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
10. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Awakening a proper title for this novel? If you could name it something else, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 2
The story begins at Grand Isle and ends there. Why?
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Edna says that "Her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an accident." Why?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)