|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
2. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
3. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
4. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
5. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
2. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
3. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
4. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
7. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
8. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
9. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
10. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
Essay Topic 2
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize this novel? Is it a piece of literary romanticism? Realism? Naturalism? Why?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)