Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
2. Rather than paint, what does Mr. Pontellier think his wife should be doing?
3. Who does Edna search for?
4. What kind of woman is Edna not?
5. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
2. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
3. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
4. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
5. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
6. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
7. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
8. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
9. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
10. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Edna is so drawn to Robert? Describe first how they meet, and how their relationship develops. What is it about Edna's life that is so lacking that she feels so drawn to him?
Essay Topic 2
Is The Awakening a critique of women's stature in the late 19th century? Was Kate Chopin taking a risk by writing this at the time she did?
Essay Topic 3
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)