|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
2. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
3. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
4. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
5. What is Edna realizing about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
2. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
3. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
4. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
5. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
6. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
7. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
8. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
9. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
10. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Awakening a critique of women's stature in the late 19th century? Was Kate Chopin taking a risk by writing this at the time she did?
Essay Topic 2
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins at Grand Isle and ends there. Why?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)