|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
2. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
3. Rather than paint, what does Mr. Pontellier think his wife should be doing?
4. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
5. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
2. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
3. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
4. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
5. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
6. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
7. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
8. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
9. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
10. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story begins at Grand Isle and ends there. Why?
Essay Topic 2
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
Essay Topic 3
Critics call this novel a classic. Define the term classic Do you agree that The Awakening is a classic? Why or why not? Did you learn anything new from reading it?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)