|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
2. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
3. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
4. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
5. Where does Robert suggest he and Edna go the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
2. How does Chopin use foreshadowing in this chapter to warn of events to come?
3. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
4. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
5. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
6. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
7. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
8. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
9. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
10. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize this novel? Is it a piece of literary romanticism? Realism? Naturalism? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Edna could have insisted that Robert come with her to the Ratignolle's house but did not. If they had gone together, would they have had a chance at a lifetime of happiness, or, were they doomed no matter what?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)