|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edna wonders how many years she has slept. Robert says:
2. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
3. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
4. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
5. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert talks about his mother, Mrs. Lebrun. What does his mother do at the Grande Isle?
2. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
3. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
4. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
5. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
6. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
7. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
8. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
9. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
10. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critics call this novel a classic. Define the term classic Do you agree that The Awakening is a classic? Why or why not? Did you learn anything new from reading it?
Essay Topic 2
As the story progresses, Edna chooses independence over marriage. Did she do the right thing? What, if anything, did she lose? What did she gain?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of the final moments in Edna's life? Was she a coward for taking her own life? Or, was she brave in making the final decision on how to conclude her life?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)