|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
2. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
3. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
4. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
5. Edna thinks her husband's bad humor is because of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
2. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
3. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
4. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
5. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
6. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
7. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
8. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
9. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
10. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author depict Edna's sense of being suffocated by the cultural restrictions on women in the 19th century? Do you think it is a fair assessment of how women lived during that time?
Essay Topic 2
When Edna and Dr. Mandelet leave the Ratignolle house (Chapter 38), the doctor says "It seems to me my dear child, you seem to me to be in trouble." Although he does not ask her what is bothering her, he offers to hear her out and help her. He also believes that he knows what is troubling her. Could he have saved her if she had let him?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)