Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
2. Rather than paint, what does Mr. Pontellier think his wife should be doing?
3. Who does Edna search for?
4. What kind of woman is Edna not?
5. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
2. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
3. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
4. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
5. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
6. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
7. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
8. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
9. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
10. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
From the beginning the author portrays Leonce Pontellier in a negative light. But is he a truly a bad or evil person? Or is he just being the typical traditional southern man? Does he believe that he is being unfair or mean toward Edna?
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
Dr. Mandelet is also an important character in this story. Why? Why does Leonce feel more at ease opening up about his marital problems with the doctor than confronting Edna directly about their difficulties?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)