|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
2. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
3. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
4. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
5. What does Mariequita think of Robert and Edna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
2. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
3. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
4. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
5. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
6. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
7. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
8. Does Robert appear in any way to be a "bad boy"? If so, how?
9. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
10. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edna could have insisted that Robert come with her to the Ratignolle's house but did not. If they had gone together, would they have had a chance at a lifetime of happiness, or, were they doomed no matter what?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
Essay Topic 3
From the beginning the author portrays Leonce Pontellier in a negative light. But is he a truly a bad or evil person? Or is he just being the typical traditional southern man? Does he believe that he is being unfair or mean toward Edna?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)