|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
2. What does Victor say has changed Edna?
3. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
4. Who is Montel?
5. What does Robert do while Mrs. Pontellier paints?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author says that Edna's will had blazed up. However, Leonce has a strong will, too. What is going on in this chapter? How is the Pontellier marriage changing?
2. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
3. Robert talks about his mother, Mrs. Lebrun. What does his mother do at the Grande Isle?
4. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
5. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
6. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
7. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
8. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
9. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
10. How does Chopin use foreshadowing in this chapter to warn of events to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alcee Arobin. Knowing his reputation, why does Edna still want to be with him? How is he important in her development into an independent, free-thinking woman?
Essay Topic 2
Is The Awakening a proper title for this novel? If you could name it something else, what would you name it and why?
Essay Topic 3
The story begins at Grand Isle and ends there. Why?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)