|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does music generally have on Edna?
2. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
3. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
4. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
5. Who does Edna search for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
2. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
3. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
4. Robert talks about his mother, Mrs. Lebrun. What does his mother do at the Grande Isle?
5. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
6. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
7. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
8. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
9. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
10. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Edna says that "Her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an accident." Why?
Essay Topic 2
Critics call this novel a classic. Define the term classic Do you agree that The Awakening is a classic? Why or why not? Did you learn anything new from reading it?
Essay Topic 3
As the story progresses, Edna chooses independence over marriage. Did she do the right thing? What, if anything, did she lose? What did she gain?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)