|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Edna search for?
2. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
3. Why is Robert at Grande Isle?
4. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
5. What does Edna do at Madame Antoine's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
2. Does Robert appear in any way to be a "bad boy"? If so, how?
3. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
4. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
5. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
6. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
7. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
8. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
9. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
10. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Mandelet is also an important character in this story. Why? Why does Leonce feel more at ease opening up about his marital problems with the doctor than confronting Edna directly about their difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Alcee call Edna's new home the "pigeon-house"? Is the term symbolic in any way?
Essay Topic 3
While on Grande Isle, Edna says she could never give herself for her children. She could give just about anything such as possessions and money, but not herself. What did she mean by that?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)