|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Montel be next month?
2. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
3. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
4. According to Mademoiselle Reisz, who is Madame Lebrun's favorite child?
5. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
2. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
3. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
4. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
5. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
6. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
7. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
8. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
9. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
10. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mademoiselle Reisz is not a lifelong friend or acquaintance, how does she quickly become close with Edna? Why is she an important person in Edna's life? Why is she a critical character in this entire story?
Essay Topic 2
Critics call this novel a classic. Define the term classic Do you agree that The Awakening is a classic? Why or why not? Did you learn anything new from reading it?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Chapter 33, Robert and Edna sit in silence. He has called her cruel. Has Edna changed too much for him?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)