|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The ostrich's retreat
(b) The bird's nest
(c) The pigeon-house
(d) The love lair
2. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
(a) Remember the children
(b) Stay with her until she recovers
(c) Stay with Leonce no matter what
(d) To go back to Grande Isle
3. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
(a) He does not want to bring her.
(b) He thinks she needs to stay back and look after the house.
(c) He is following the doctor's advice to let her do as she likes.
(d) He thinks it will get him out of going as well.
4. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
(a) She redecorates the house.
(b) She spends time with Mrs. Highcamp and Alcee Arobin.
(c) She plays card games.
(d) She learns needlepoint.
5. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
2. How does Edna react to the note?
3. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
4. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
5. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
2. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
3. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
4. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
5. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
6. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
7. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
8. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
9. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
10. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)