|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edna tells Robert that he:
(a) Should not stay with her; it will never work out
(b) Looks much like his brother
(c) Needs to stay at the pigeon house and lock the doors
(d) Awoke her last summer from a life-long stupid dream
2. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
(a) He is following the doctor's advice to let her do as she likes.
(b) He thinks it will get him out of going as well.
(c) He does not want to bring her.
(d) He thinks she needs to stay back and look after the house.
3. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) Well--he expected it.
(b) With joy
(c) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(d) With bewilderment
4. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
(b) A Vera Cruz girl
(c) His mother
(d) He made it.
5. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
(a) Madame Lebrun
(b) Madame Ratignolle
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz
(d) Dr. Mandelet
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
2. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
3. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
4. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
5. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
2. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
3. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
4. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
5. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
6. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
7. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
8. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
9. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
10. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)