|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
(a) They do not understand.
2. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
(a) It is too beautiful to imagine.
(b) It elicits the emotions she felt earlier in the summer.
(c) It reminds her of Leonce.
(d) It is actually awful but she cannot bring herself to say so.
3. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(a) High society
(d) Race horses
4. Leonce tells Edna he will return in March after which they will go where?
(a) To Africa
(c) To Asia
5. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(a) Not really known
(d) Very good
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
2. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
3. Where will Edna move?
4. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
5. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
2. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
3. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
4. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
7. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
8. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
9. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
10. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)