|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
2. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The love lair
(b) The bird's nest
(c) The ostrich's retreat
(d) The pigeon-house
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(b) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
(c) By running off to Europe
(d) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
4. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
(a) That they should simply ask women to explain themselves
(b) That it will cost a lot to get his explanation
(c) That they should be locked up
(d) That they cannot be explained
5. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He ran out of money.
(b) He contracted a strange disease.
(c) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
(d) He could not find work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alcee Arobin?
2. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
3. Where will Edna move?
4. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
5. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
2. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
3. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
4. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
7. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
8. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
9. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
10. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)