|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
(a) As if they had never left each other
(b) Very intellectual
(c) Very proper and polite
(d) A bit awkward, mostly small talk
2. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(a) Very good
(c) Not really known
3. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
(a) An understanding of what married women feel when they are adulterous
(b) A better sense of what men are really like
(c) A new lover
(d) A greater understanding of life
4. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(b) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(c) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(d) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
5. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
(a) A good education
(b) Good painting technique
(c) Passionate experience
(d) A courageous and brave soul
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
2. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
4. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
5. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
2. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
3. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
4. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
5. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
6. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
7. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
8. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
9. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
10. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)