|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(b) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(d) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
2. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(b) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
(c) By running off to Europe
(d) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
3. Edna tells Robert that he:
(a) Awoke her last summer from a life-long stupid dream
(b) Needs to stay at the pigeon house and lock the doors
(c) Looks much like his brother
(d) Should not stay with her; it will never work out
4. What is a griffe?
(a) It is short for Giraffe.
(b) A person uniquely gifted in voodoo
(c) A French quarter grifter
(d) A person of mixed-race heritage, typically mulatto and American Indian parentage
5. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
(a) Remember the children
(b) Stay with Leonce no matter what
(c) Stay with her until she recovers
(d) To go back to Grande Isle
Short Answer Questions
1. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
2. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
3. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
4. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
5. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
2. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
3. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
4. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
5. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
6. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
7. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
8. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
9. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
10. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)