|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edna react to the note?
(a) She is devastated. She does not sleep all night.
(b) She is not upset. She knew this would happen.
(c) She thinks Robert has lost his mind so she goes to sleep.
(d) She thinks it is a joke and laughs.
2. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
3. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(a) With coolness
4. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
(a) Her sons
(b) The Colonel
5. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) An artist like herself
(b) A much sought-after bachelor
(c) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
(d) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
Short Answer Questions
1. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
2. Who suddenly appears before Victor and Mariequita?
3. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
4. What announcement does Edna make at Mademoiselle Reisz's?
5. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
2. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
3. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
4. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
5. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
6. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
7. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
8. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
9. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
10. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)