|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
(a) That he was a cad just like Alcee
(b) He probably had another girlfriend anyway.
(c) That eventually he would melt out of her existence
(d) He was much too young for her.
2. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
(a) They do not understand.
3. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
(a) She cries.
(b) She writes to Leonce and tells him what happened.
(c) She laughs uncontrollably.
(d) She jumps with joy.
4. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
(a) Mrs. Pontellier's dinner party
(b) Mrs. Highcamp's scarf
(c) His new job
(d) Alcee Arobin
5. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
(b) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
(c) She has no one else to complain to.
(d) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edna tells Robert that he:
2. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
3. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
4. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
5. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
2. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
3. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
4. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
5. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
6. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
7. After her disappointing evening with Robert, what does Edna initially do?
8. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
9. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
10. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)