|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) On a ship to Mexico
(b) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
(c) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
(d) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
2. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To see some museums
(b) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
(c) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
(d) To take Edna away from Leonce
3. Where will Edna move?
(a) Her mother-in-law's house in the countryside
(b) A totally different city
(c) Another grand house on the other side of town
(d) A little house around the corner
4. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) That she is in love with Alcee
(b) That she is not in love with anyone and wants to be alone
(c) That she does not love Leonce
(d) That she is in love with Robert
5. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) He was worried she would not understand.
(b) She was not free.
(c) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(d) He thought she would make fun of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
2. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
4. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
5. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
2. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
3. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
4. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
5. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
6. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
7. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
8. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
9. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
10. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)