|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She prefers domestic travel.
(b) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
(c) She does not like foreign travel.
(d) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
2. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) Yes but he does not seem to care
(b) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
(c) No, or he would stop writing
(d) It is possible but not clear
3. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
(a) Passionate experience
(b) A good education
(c) Good painting technique
(d) A courageous and brave soul
4. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
(b) She has lost her mind.
(c) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
(d) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
5. Who suddenly appears before Victor and Mariequita?
(a) Mrs. Pontellier
(b) Alcee Arobin
(c) Madame Lebrun
(d) Mrs. Highcamp
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
2. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
3. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
4. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
5. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
2. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
3. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
4. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
5. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
6. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
7. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
8. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
9. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
10. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)