|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Edna's and Robert's meeting?
2. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
3. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
(a) Like punch in the gut
(c) Cold and icy
(d) A pleasing sting
4. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
(a) Leonce and Dr. Mandelet
(b) Adele Ratignolle and Madame Lebrun
(c) The Colonel and her sister
(d) Etienne and Raoul
5. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
(b) Her sons
(c) The Colonel
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
2. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
4. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
5. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
2. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
3. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
4. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
5. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
6. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
7. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
8. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
9. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
10. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)