|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a mulatresse?
(a) A special kind of seamstress
(b) A woman of mixed-race heritage
(c) A woman who resembles a mullet fish
(d) The definition is not known.
2. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
(a) It was cold, unemotional.
(b) It was a flaming torch that kindled desire.
(c) It was the kind of kiss a brother gives a sister.
(d) Edna felt like a whore afterward.
3. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
(b) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(c) She has no one else to complain to.
(d) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
4. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
(a) Dr. Mandelet
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Madame Lebrun
(d) Madame Ratignolle
5. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She is speaking in French most of the time.
(b) She has lost much weight.
(c) She paints disturbing portraits.
(d) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
2. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
3. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
4. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
5. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
2. Edna goes to Mademoiselle Reisz's for refuge, as well as to find out the latest news about Robert. What happens when she is at Mademoiselle Reisz's alone, waiting for the pianist, and Robert shows up out of the blue?
3. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
4. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
5. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
6. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
7. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
8. Why does Edna call her move and dinner party a "coup d'etat"?
9. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
10. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)