|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
(b) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(d) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
2. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
(a) His new job
(b) Mrs. Highcamp's scarf
(c) Mrs. Pontellier's dinner party
(d) Alcee Arobin
3. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(b) He was worried she would not understand.
(c) She was not free.
(d) He thought she would make fun of him.
4. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(c) The author does not say.
(d) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
5. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(b) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
(c) She has no one else to complain to.
(d) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
2. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
3. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
4. Who suddenly appears before Victor and Mariequita?
5. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
2. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
3. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
4. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
7. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
8. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
9. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
10. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)