|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
(a) Crazy jokes
(b) Tobacco mixes
(c) Strong drinks
(d) Odd stories
2. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
(a) Good painting technique
(b) A good education
(c) Passionate experience
(d) A courageous and brave soul
3. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
(b) The postal rates were too high.
(c) He could not find pen and paper.
(d) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
4. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
(a) That they should simply ask women to explain themselves
(b) That they cannot be explained
(c) That it will cost a lot to get his explanation
(d) That they should be locked up
5. What is a mulatresse?
(a) A special kind of seamstress
(b) The definition is not known.
(c) A woman of mixed-race heritage
(d) A woman who resembles a mullet fish
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
2. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
3. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
4. Edna tells Robert that he:
5. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
2. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
3. Why does Edna enjoy horse racing so much?
4. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
5. Is the dinner party a grand affair?
6. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
7. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
8. Why does the photo of Alcee Arobin upset Robert so much when he goes back to the pigeon-house with her?
9. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
10. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)