|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
(a) It was cold, unemotional.
(b) It was a flaming torch that kindled desire.
(c) Edna felt like a whore afterward.
(d) It was the kind of kiss a brother gives a sister.
2. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
(b) A much sought-after bachelor
(c) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
(d) An artist like herself
3. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
(b) He could not find pen and paper.
(c) The postal rates were too high.
(d) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
4. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
(a) Her sister's wedding
(b) Adele's sister's wedding
(c) Leonce's sister's wedding
(d) The Colonel's wedding
5. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
(a) They do not understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
2. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
3. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
4. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
5. Edna tells Robert that he:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
2. Edna and Mademoiselle Reisz have a spirited discussion when they meet again. Describe the things they say to one another. Is this a pair of women who really like each other?
3. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
4. What do you think happens to Edna? Does she die in the ocean? Does she make it back?
5. Why does Mr. Pontellier talk to Dr. Mandelet about Edna? Why can he not talk to his wife himself?
6. Is Leonce at all worried about the breakup of his marriage emotionally? Is he making arrangements to hide his real feelings?
7. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
8. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
9. Why does Edna need to know so much about Robert's tobacco pouch?
10. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)