|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To see some museums
(b) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
(c) To take Edna away from Leonce
(d) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
2. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
(a) Stay with her until she recovers
(b) Remember the children
(c) To go back to Grande Isle
(d) Stay with Leonce no matter what
3. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
(a) A feeling of irresponsibility
(b) A feeling of inevitablity
(c) A feeling of lightness
(d) A feeling of excitement
4. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) With bewilderment
(b) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(c) Well--he expected it.
(d) With joy
5. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) The postal rates were too high.
(b) He could not find pen and paper.
(c) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
(d) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
2. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
3. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
4. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
5. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mademoiselle Reisz play the Chopin piece? Is this an instance of foreshadowing?
2. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
3. Once Edna has decided to move, does she want to discuss it with Leonce?
4. Edna tells Mademoiselle Reisz that she is going to move out of her house and that she is in love with Robert. Are either of these actions wise?
5. Why did Robert not write to Edna from Mexico?
6. Is the Colonel, Edna's father, right to think that if she and her husband spent more time together in the evenings at home, they would have a stronger marriage?
7. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
8. Why does Madame Ratignolle urge Edna to think of her children?
9. Describe how Edna feels once she is truly alone.
10. Why does Edna feel strong and confident in the pigeon-house?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)