|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
(a) She cries.
(b) She writes to Leonce and tells him what happened.
(c) She laughs uncontrollably.
(d) She jumps with joy.
2. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Institutionalize her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Divorce her
(d) Not bring her to New York with him
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(b) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
(c) By running off to Europe
(d) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
4. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) He was worried she would not understand.
(b) He thought she would make fun of him.
(c) She was not free.
(d) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
5. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
(a) Crazy jokes
(b) Strong drinks
(c) Tobacco mixes
(d) Odd stories
6. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
(a) She redecorates the house.
(b) She spends time with Mrs. Highcamp and Alcee Arobin.
(c) She learns needlepoint.
(d) She plays card games.
7. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
(a) It was cold, unemotional.
(b) It was a flaming torch that kindled desire.
(c) Edna felt like a whore afterward.
(d) It was the kind of kiss a brother gives a sister.
8. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
(b) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
(c) The postal rates were too high.
(d) He could not find pen and paper.
9. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) Yes but he does not seem to care
(b) No, or he would stop writing
(c) It is possible but not clear
(d) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
10. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
(a) That it did not come from real love
(b) That this new lover has such a strange name
(c) That it did not last longer
(d) That it did not lead to more
11. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
(a) She wants to sing.
(b) He is singing a song that Robert often sang to her.
(c) She hates that song.
(d) He is a terrible singer.
12. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
(b) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
13. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
(a) Alcee is sick and needs her.
(b) She forgot to pick up something at the market.
(c) Leonce is sick and needs her.
(d) Madame Ratignolle is sick and needs her.
14. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
(a) A better sense of what men are really like
(b) A new lover
(c) A greater understanding of life
(d) An understanding of what married women feel when they are adulterous
15. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
(a) I love you. Good-by because I love you.
(b) I'm at my mother's. Meet me there.
(c) I'm at the store. Back in five minutes.
(d) I'm going to Grande Isle. Come with me.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
2. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
3. Who interrupts Edna's and Robert's meeting?
4. Leonce tells Edna he will return in March after which they will go where?
5. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)