|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(b) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(c) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
2. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
(b) She does not like foreign travel.
(c) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
(d) She prefers domestic travel.
3. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
(a) Very intellectual
(b) Very proper and polite
(c) A bit awkward, mostly small talk
(d) As if they had never left each other
4. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) Well--he expected it.
(b) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(c) With bewilderment
(d) With joy
5. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
(a) She forgot to pick up something at the market.
(b) Leonce is sick and needs her.
(c) Madame Ratignolle is sick and needs her.
(d) Alcee is sick and needs her.
6. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
(a) It is too beautiful to imagine.
(b) It is actually awful but she cannot bring herself to say so.
(c) It reminds her of Leonce.
(d) It elicits the emotions she felt earlier in the summer.
7. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(a) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
(b) The author does not say.
8. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
(a) The Colonel
(d) Her sons
9. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
(a) Bathe in the ocean
(b) Play the piano
(c) Go fishing
(d) Take a nap
10. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He contracted a strange disease.
(b) He could not find work.
(c) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
(d) He ran out of money.
11. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
(a) I love you. Good-by because I love you.
(b) I'm at the store. Back in five minutes.
(c) I'm going to Grande Isle. Come with me.
(d) I'm at my mother's. Meet me there.
12. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
(a) Stay with her until she recovers
(b) To go back to Grande Isle
(c) Remember the children
(d) Stay with Leonce no matter what
13. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
(a) She laughs uncontrollably.
(b) She cries.
(c) She writes to Leonce and tells him what happened.
(d) She jumps with joy.
14. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
(a) Alcee Arobin
(b) Mrs. Pontellier's dinner party
(c) His new job
(d) Mrs. Highcamp's scarf
15. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She paints disturbing portraits.
(b) She is speaking in French most of the time.
(c) She has lost much weight.
(d) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
2. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
3. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
4. Who does Mr. Pontellier discuss with the doctor?
5. What does Edna promise before leaving?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)