|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) An artist like herself
(b) A much sought-after bachelor
(c) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
(d) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
2. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
(b) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
(c) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
(d) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
3. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) She was not free.
(b) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(c) He was worried she would not understand.
(d) He thought she would make fun of him.
4. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
(a) Her sons
(c) The Colonel
5. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(a) High society
(c) Race horses
6. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
(a) Alcee is sick and needs her.
(b) Leonce is sick and needs her.
(c) Madame Ratignolle is sick and needs her.
(d) She forgot to pick up something at the market.
7. What effect has Alcee had on Edna?
(a) A narcotic effect
(b) A frigthening effect
(c) A subduing effect
(d) No effect whatsoever
8. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She does not like foreign travel.
(b) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
(c) She prefers domestic travel.
(d) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
9. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
(b) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
(c) On a ship to Mexico
(d) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
10. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
(a) I'm going to Grande Isle. Come with me.
(b) I'm at the store. Back in five minutes.
(c) I'm at my mother's. Meet me there.
(d) I love you. Good-by because I love you.
11. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(b) Dr. Mandelet
(c) Madame Lebrun
(d) Madame Ratignolle
12. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
(a) She learns needlepoint.
(b) She redecorates the house.
(c) She plays card games.
(d) She spends time with Mrs. Highcamp and Alcee Arobin.
13. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
14. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
(d) Madame Antoine
15. What does Edna promise before leaving?
(a) That she will paint his portrait
(b) That they will be together from now on
(c) That they will have to marry in a civil ceremony
(d) That they will go back to Mexico
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
2. Who does Mr. Pontellier discuss with the doctor?
3. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
4. Where will Edna move?
5. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)