|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To see some museums
(b) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
(c) To take Edna away from Leonce
(d) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
2. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Institutionalize her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Divorce her
(d) Not bring her to New York with him
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(b) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
(c) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
(d) By running off to Europe
4. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(b) Not really known
(d) Very good
5. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
6. What is a griffe?
(a) It is short for Giraffe.
(b) A person uniquely gifted in voodoo
(c) A French quarter grifter
(d) A person of mixed-race heritage, typically mulatto and American Indian parentage
7. What does Edna promise before leaving?
(a) That she will paint his portrait
(b) That they will have to marry in a civil ceremony
(c) That they will go back to Mexico
(d) That they will be together from now on
8. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(a) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
(b) The author does not say.
9. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
(b) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
(c) On a ship to Mexico
(d) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
10. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
(a) When she orders him to leave
(b) When she became supple to his gentle seductive entreaties
(c) He does not because he stays until the morning.
(d) When she says goodbye first
11. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
(a) A feeling of lightness
(b) A feeling of excitement
(c) A feeling of inevitablity
(d) A feeling of irresponsibility
12. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) Well--he expected it.
(b) With joy
(c) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(d) With bewilderment
13. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
(a) A better sense of what men are really like
(b) An understanding of what married women feel when they are adulterous
(c) A new lover
(d) A greater understanding of life
14. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
(a) She is happy to be alone and feels free.
(b) She is miserable.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is lost as to how to occupy herself.
15. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
2. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
3. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
4. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
5. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)