|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Pontellier discuss with the doctor?
(b) Edna, his wife
(c) Janet, Edna's sister
(d) Etienne and Raoul
2. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(c) Not really known
(d) Very good
3. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
(a) Bathe in the ocean
(b) Take a nap
(c) Go fishing
(d) Play the piano
4. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
5. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
(b) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
6. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) It is possible but not clear
(b) Yes but he does not seem to care
(c) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
(d) No, or he would stop writing
7. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
(a) Leonce and Dr. Mandelet
(b) Etienne and Raoul
(c) Adele Ratignolle and Madame Lebrun
(d) The Colonel and her sister
8. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The pigeon-house
(b) The ostrich's retreat
(c) The love lair
(d) The bird's nest
9. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) He thought she would make fun of him.
(b) She was not free.
(c) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(d) He was worried she would not understand.
10. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
(a) Her purse
(b) Her scarf
(c) Her cane
(d) Her skirt
11. Describe Alcee's kiss with Edna:
(a) It was a flaming torch that kindled desire.
(b) It was the kind of kiss a brother gives a sister.
(c) It was cold, unemotional.
(d) Edna felt like a whore afterward.
12. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
(a) He does not want to bring her.
(b) He thinks it will get him out of going as well.
(c) He thinks she needs to stay back and look after the house.
(d) He is following the doctor's advice to let her do as she likes.
13. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(a) The author does not say.
(c) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
14. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(c) With coolness
15. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
(b) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(c) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
(d) She has no one else to complain to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
2. Why does Edna have to suddenly leave Robert?
3. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
4. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
5. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)