|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(b) The author does not say.
(d) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
2. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
(b) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
3. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The love lair
(b) The pigeon-house
(c) The bird's nest
(d) The ostrich's retreat
4. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
(b) She has lost her mind.
(c) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
(d) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
5. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
(b) To take Edna away from Leonce
(c) To see some museums
(d) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
6. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
(a) She is lost as to how to occupy herself.
(b) She is lonely.
(c) She is happy to be alone and feels free.
(d) She is miserable.
7. What effect has Alcee had on Edna?
(a) No effect whatsoever
(b) A subduing effect
(c) A frigthening effect
(d) A narcotic effect
8. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(b) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(c) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(d) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
9. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(b) Very good
(d) Not really known
10. How does Edna react to the note?
(a) She thinks it is a joke and laughs.
(b) She is devastated. She does not sleep all night.
(c) She thinks Robert has lost his mind so she goes to sleep.
(d) She is not upset. She knew this would happen.
11. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
(a) When she orders him to leave
(b) When she became supple to his gentle seductive entreaties
(c) When she says goodbye first
(d) He does not because he stays until the morning.
12. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
(a) Very proper and polite
(b) Very intellectual
(c) A bit awkward, mostly small talk
(d) As if they had never left each other
13. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) A much sought-after bachelor
(b) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
(c) An artist like herself
(d) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
14. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) That she is in love with Robert
(b) That she is not in love with anyone and wants to be alone
(c) That she does not love Leonce
(d) That she is in love with Alcee
15. What is a mulatresse?
(a) A woman who resembles a mullet fish
(b) A woman of mixed-race heritage
(c) The definition is not known.
(d) A special kind of seamstress
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
2. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
3. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
4. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
5. Where will Edna move?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)