|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
(a) I'm at my mother's. Meet me there.
(b) I love you. Good-by because I love you.
(c) I'm going to Grande Isle. Come with me.
(d) I'm at the store. Back in five minutes.
2. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(a) Race horses
(d) High society
3. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
(c) They do not understand.
4. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
(a) A better sense of what men are really like
(b) A new lover
(c) An understanding of what married women feel when they are adulterous
(d) A greater understanding of life
5. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She has lost much weight.
(b) She paints disturbing portraits.
(c) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
(d) She is speaking in French most of the time.
6. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
(a) She is happy to be alone and feels free.
(b) She is miserable.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is lost as to how to occupy herself.
7. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To take Edna away from Leonce
(b) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
(c) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
(d) To see some museums
8. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) It is possible but not clear
(b) Yes but he does not seem to care
(c) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
(d) No, or he would stop writing
9. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
(a) That eventually he would melt out of her existence
(b) He was much too young for her.
(c) That he was a cad just like Alcee
(d) He probably had another girlfriend anyway.
10. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
(b) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
(c) An artist like herself
(d) A much sought-after bachelor
11. What effect has Alcee had on Edna?
(a) A frigthening effect
(b) A subduing effect
(c) No effect whatsoever
(d) A narcotic effect
12. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
(a) She learns needlepoint.
(b) She plays card games.
(c) She redecorates the house.
(d) She spends time with Mrs. Highcamp and Alcee Arobin.
13. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He ran out of money.
(b) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
(c) He could not find work.
(d) He contracted a strange disease.
14. What is a griffe?
(a) A person uniquely gifted in voodoo
(b) A French quarter grifter
(c) A person of mixed-race heritage, typically mulatto and American Indian parentage
(d) It is short for Giraffe.
15. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) Well--he expected it.
(b) With joy
(c) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(d) With bewilderment
Short Answer Questions
1. What announcement does Edna make at Mademoiselle Reisz's?
2. Leonce tells Edna he will return in March after which they will go where?
3. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
4. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
5. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)