|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
(a) It reminds her of Leonce.
(b) It is actually awful but she cannot bring herself to say so.
(c) It is too beautiful to imagine.
(d) It elicits the emotions she felt earlier in the summer.
2. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Divorce her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Institutionalize her
(d) Not bring her to New York with him
3. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
4. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
(b) The postal rates were too high.
(c) He could not find pen and paper.
(d) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
5. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(b) With joy
(c) Well--he expected it.
(d) With bewilderment
6. How does Edna react to the note?
(a) She is not upset. She knew this would happen.
(b) She is devastated. She does not sleep all night.
(c) She thinks Robert has lost his mind so she goes to sleep.
(d) She thinks it is a joke and laughs.
7. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By running off to Europe
(b) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(c) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
(d) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
8. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The love lair
(b) The pigeon-house
(c) The bird's nest
(d) The ostrich's retreat
9. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) She was not free.
(b) He thought she would make fun of him.
(c) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(d) He was worried she would not understand.
10. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She does not like foreign travel.
(b) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
(c) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
(d) She prefers domestic travel.
11. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She paints disturbing portraits.
(b) She has lost much weight.
(c) She is speaking in French most of the time.
(d) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
12. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
(a) That he was a cad just like Alcee
(b) He probably had another girlfriend anyway.
(c) He was much too young for her.
(d) That eventually he would melt out of her existence
13. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
(a) His private collection of paintings
(b) His journals
(c) Scars on his back from beatings during his childhood
(d) A scar from a saber cut he got at age 19
14. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
15. Where does Arobin urge Edna to go with him?
(b) The French Quarter
(c) Bourbon Street
(d) Shell Road
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
2. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
3. What is a griffe?
4. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
5. Edna tells Robert that he:
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)