|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
2. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
(a) He does not because he stays until the morning.
(b) When she became supple to his gentle seductive entreaties
(c) When she says goodbye first
(d) When she orders him to leave
3. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(b) She has no one else to complain to.
(c) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
(d) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
4. Leonce tells Edna he will return in March after which they will go where?
(b) To Asia
(c) To Africa
5. Who arrives at Mademoiselle Reisz's while Edna waits there alone?
6. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
7. At the last moment, which two guests do not show up at Edna's dinner party?
(a) Adele Ratignolle and Madame Lebrun
(b) Leonce and Dr. Mandelet
(c) The Colonel and her sister
(d) Etienne and Raoul
8. What is a griffe?
(a) It is short for Giraffe.
(b) A person uniquely gifted in voodoo
(c) A person of mixed-race heritage, typically mulatto and American Indian parentage
(d) A French quarter grifter
9. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Divorce her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Institutionalize her
(d) Not bring her to New York with him
10. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
(a) She wants to sing.
(b) She hates that song.
(c) He is singing a song that Robert often sang to her.
(d) He is a terrible singer.
11. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To take Edna away from Leonce
(b) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
(c) To see some museums
(d) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
12. Who does Mr. Pontellier discuss with the doctor?
(a) Etienne and Raoul
(c) Edna, his wife
(d) Janet, Edna's sister
13. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(b) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(c) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(d) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
14. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
(b) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
15. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
(a) She is happy to be alone and feels free.
(b) She is miserable.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is lost as to how to occupy herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
2. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
3. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
4. Edna tells Robert that he:
5. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)