|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
(a) His private collection of paintings
(b) His journals
(c) Scars on his back from beatings during his childhood
(d) A scar from a saber cut he got at age 19
2. As Edna walks on the beach, what does she realize about Robert?
(a) That eventually he would melt out of her existence
(b) He probably had another girlfriend anyway.
(c) That he was a cad just like Alcee
(d) He was much too young for her.
3. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
(a) Alcee Arobin
(b) His new job
(c) Mrs. Highcamp's scarf
(d) Mrs. Pontellier's dinner party
4. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
5. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
(a) Her scarf
(b) Her skirt
(c) Her purse
(d) Her cane
6. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
(a) Very intellectual
(b) Very proper and polite
(c) A bit awkward, mostly small talk
(d) As if they had never left each other
7. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
(b) Yes but he does not seem to care
(c) It is possible but not clear
(d) No, or he would stop writing
8. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) She has lost her mind.
(b) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
(c) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
(d) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
9. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(b) High society
(c) Race horses
10. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
11. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
(b) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
12. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
(a) That it did not come from real love
(b) That this new lover has such a strange name
(c) That it did not last longer
(d) That it did not lead to more
13. What does Edna want to do before dinner?
(a) Take a nap
(b) Bathe in the ocean
(c) Go fishing
(d) Play the piano
14. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
(a) With joy
(b) Well--he expected it.
(c) With unqualified disapproval and remonstrance
(d) With bewilderment
15. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
(a) That they should simply ask women to explain themselves
(b) That they should be locked up
(c) That they cannot be explained
(d) That it will cost a lot to get his explanation
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
2. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
3. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
4. What worries Mr. Pontellier about this situation?
5. Leonce tells Edna he will return in March after which they will go where?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)