|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The love lair
(b) The pigeon-house
(c) The ostrich's retreat
(d) The bird's nest
2. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
3. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
(a) A Vera Cruz girl
(b) He made it.
(c) His mother
4. Edna's father believes her marriage would be stronger if:
(a) Mr. Pontellier supported her painting career.
(b) Mr. Pontellier would stay home full-time with her.
(c) Mr. Pontellier made her his business partner.
(d) Mr. Pontellier stayed home more evenings with her.
5. What is a mulatresse?
(a) The definition is not known.
(b) A woman of mixed-race heritage
(c) A woman who resembles a mullet fish
(d) A special kind of seamstress
6. Who interrupts Edna's and Robert's meeting?
7. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
(a) He thinks she needs to stay back and look after the house.
(b) He thinks it will get him out of going as well.
(c) He is following the doctor's advice to let her do as she likes.
(d) He does not want to bring her.
8. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
(b) She has no one else to complain to.
(c) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(d) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
9. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(a) With coolness
10. When does Alcee finally say goodnight to Edna?
(a) He does not because he stays until the morning.
(b) When she says goodbye first
(c) When she orders him to leave
(d) When she became supple to his gentle seductive entreaties
11. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He ran out of money.
(b) He could not find work.
(c) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
(d) He contracted a strange disease.
12. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
13. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(a) Very good
(d) Not really known
14. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
(a) Crazy jokes
(b) Strong drinks
(c) Tobacco mixes
(d) Odd stories
15. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Institutionalize her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Not bring her to New York with him
(d) Divorce her
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
2. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
3. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
4. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
5. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)