|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will Edna move?
(a) Another grand house on the other side of town
(b) A totally different city
(c) A little house around the corner
(d) Her mother-in-law's house in the countryside
2. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(a) Race horses
(d) High society
3. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
(a) His new job
(b) Mrs. Highcamp's scarf
(c) Mrs. Pontellier's dinner party
(d) Alcee Arobin
4. Edna tells Robert that he:
(a) Awoke her last summer from a life-long stupid dream
(b) Needs to stay at the pigeon house and lock the doors
(c) Looks much like his brother
(d) Should not stay with her; it will never work out
5. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
(b) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(d) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
6. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
(a) His mother
(b) A Vera Cruz girl
(d) He made it.
7. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) It is possible but not clear
(b) No, or he would stop writing
(c) Yes but he does not seem to care
(d) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
8. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
(a) The love lair
(b) The pigeon-house
(c) The bird's nest
(d) The ostrich's retreat
9. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
10. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
(a) A feeling of lightness
(b) A feeling of inevitablity
(c) A feeling of excitement
(d) A feeling of irresponsibility
11. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
(a) It is actually awful but she cannot bring herself to say so.
(b) It reminds her of Leonce.
(c) It elicits the emotions she felt earlier in the summer.
(d) It is too beautiful to imagine.
12. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He contracted a strange disease.
(b) He could not find work.
(c) He ran out of money.
(d) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
13. When Edna sees Robert at the cafe, she accuses him of being the embodiment of:
14. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
(a) By running off to Europe
(b) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his family's upcoming sojourn
(c) By calling friends and begging for their pity
(d) By putting a notice in the paper announcing his company's success
15. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
(b) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
(c) She has lost her mind.
(d) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
2. What does Victor take from Mrs. Highcamp?
3. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
4. How does Edna react to the note?
5. Alone with Edna, what does Alcee show her?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)