|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will pay for Edna's expensive dinner party?
2. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
(a) Madame Antoine
3. How does Edna feel once her father and husband are gone?
(a) She is lost as to how to occupy herself.
(b) She is lonely.
(c) She is miserable.
(d) She is happy to be alone and feels free.
4. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
(b) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
(c) On a ship to Mexico
(d) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
5. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Not bring her to New York with him
(b) Institutionalize her
(c) Divorce her
(d) Send her back to Kentucky
6. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
(a) She hates that song.
(b) She wants to sing.
(c) He is singing a song that Robert often sang to her.
(d) He is a terrible singer.
7. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(c) With coolness
8. Why does Madame Ratignolle complain to Edna?
(a) She thought Alcee was interested in her, not Edna.
(b) She has no one else to complain to.
(c) She misses her and has not seen her lately.
(d) She thinks Edna has gone mad.
9. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) The postal rates were too high.
(b) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
(c) He could not find pen and paper.
(d) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
10. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
(a) That it did not come from real love
(b) That it did not lead to more
(c) That it did not last longer
(d) That this new lover has such a strange name
11. What is a griffe?
(a) A French quarter grifter
(b) A person uniquely gifted in voodoo
(c) A person of mixed-race heritage, typically mulatto and American Indian parentage
(d) It is short for Giraffe.
12. Why does Edna cry when she listens to Mademoiselle Reisz play the piano?
(a) It reminds her of Leonce.
(b) It is too beautiful to imagine.
(c) It elicits the emotions she felt earlier in the summer.
(d) It is actually awful but she cannot bring herself to say so.
13. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
(a) She laughs uncontrollably.
(b) She jumps with joy.
(c) She cries.
(d) She writes to Leonce and tells him what happened.
14. Who is Mademoiselle Reisz surprised to see at her doorstep?
15. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
(b) She prefers domestic travel.
(c) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
(d) She does not like foreign travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
2. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
3. Edna tells Robert that he:
4. How does Mr. Pontellier take the news of his wife's move?
5. What does Victor talk about with Mariequita?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)