|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
2. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
(b) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
(c) On a ship to Mexico
(d) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
3. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(c) With coolness
4. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Divorce her
(b) Send her back to Kentucky
(c) Institutionalize her
(d) Not bring her to New York with him
5. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He contracted a strange disease.
(b) He could not find work.
(c) He ran out of money.
(d) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
6. What is Edna's father's reason for coming to town?
(a) To buy a wedding present for his other daughter
(b) To take Edna away from Leonce
(c) To get a health check-up with Dr. Mandelet
(d) To see some museums
7. According to Adele, what is Alcee's reputation?
(b) Very good
(c) Not really known
8. What does Edna finally admit to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) That she is in love with Robert
(b) That she does not love Leonce
(c) That she is in love with Alcee
(d) That she is not in love with anyone and wants to be alone
9. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say is essential to becoming a true artist?
(a) A good education
(b) Passionate experience
(c) Good painting technique
(d) A courageous and brave soul
10. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
(b) She paints disturbing portraits.
(c) She is speaking in French most of the time.
(d) She has lost much weight.
11. Edna tells Robert that he:
(a) Looks much like his brother
(b) Awoke her last summer from a life-long stupid dream
(c) Needs to stay at the pigeon house and lock the doors
(d) Should not stay with her; it will never work out
12. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
(b) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
(c) She has lost her mind.
(d) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
13. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
(a) I'm going to Grande Isle. Come with me.
(b) I'm at my mother's. Meet me there.
(c) I'm at the store. Back in five minutes.
(d) I love you. Good-by because I love you.
14. Who is Alcee Arobin?
(a) A member of the society of young men of fashion, a socialite
(b) An artist like herself
(c) A much sought-after bachelor
(d) A businessman with whom Leonce has dealings
15. Why does Edna not want to go abroad?
(a) She does not like foreign travel.
(b) She does not want to be forced into doing things she does not want to do anymore.
(c) She cannot stand traveling with Leonce.
(d) She prefers domestic travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Edna's and Robert's meeting?
2. Why does Mr. Pontellier not try to persuade Edna to go to the wedding?
3. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
4. How does Mr. Pontellier save his public image?
5. What does Alcee call Edna's new home?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)