|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Robert react to the sight of Alcee's photograph?
(a) With coolness
2. Who does Mrs. Highcamp think her daughter would like?
3. How does Edna react to the note?
(a) She is devastated. She does not sleep all night.
(b) She is not upset. She knew this would happen.
(c) She thinks Robert has lost his mind so she goes to sleep.
(d) She thinks it is a joke and laughs.
4. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(c) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(d) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
5. Where does Arobin urge Edna to go with him?
(b) Shell Road
(c) Bourbon Street
(d) The French Quarter
6. The Colonel is an expert at concocting:
(a) Odd stories
(b) Strong drinks
(c) Tobacco mixes
(d) Crazy jokes
7. What is a mulatresse?
(a) A woman of mixed-race heritage
(b) A woman who resembles a mullet fish
(c) The definition is not known.
(d) A special kind of seamstress
8. How do the Pontellier children feel about their house being renovated?
(c) They do not understand.
9. Why did Robert never reveal his true feelings to Edna before?
(a) She was not free.
(b) He was not sure of how he felt until this moment.
(c) He thought she would make fun of him.
(d) He was worried she would not understand.
10. Where is Edna at the end of this story?
(a) Back on Esplanade Street, with Leonce
(b) On a ship to Mexico
(c) Having dinner with Victor and Mariequita
(d) In the ocean, physically too tired to swim back
11. Describe the nature of Robert's and Edna's conversation:
(a) Very intellectual
(b) A bit awkward, mostly small talk
(c) As if they had never left each other
(d) Very proper and polite
12. What is her overwhelming feeling after kissing Alcee?
(a) A feeling of excitement
(b) A feeling of inevitablity
(c) A feeling of lightness
(d) A feeling of irresponsibility
13. What does Edna do after Alcee leaves?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughs uncontrollably.
(c) She writes to Leonce and tells him what happened.
(d) She jumps with joy.
14. Mr. Pontellier thinks something's wrong with Edna because:
(a) She paints disturbing portraits.
(b) She is speaking in French most of the time.
(c) She forgets her housework, comes in late and does not associate with anyone.
(d) She has lost much weight.
15. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) Yes, that is why he keeps writing
(b) Yes but he does not seem to care
(c) It is possible but not clear
(d) No, or he would stop writing
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna promise before leaving?
2. Where will Edna move?
3. What does Victor's kiss on Edna's hand feel like?
4. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
5. Most of all, what did Edna gain?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)