|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Pontellier drop in to visit in town one morning?
(a) Dr. Mandelet
(b) Madame Lebrun
(c) Madame Ratignolle
(d) Mademoiselle Reisz
2. What does Edna regret about her kiss with Alcee?
(a) That this new lover has such a strange name
(b) That it did not lead to more
(c) That it did not last longer
(d) That it did not come from real love
3. Who has written to Mademoiselle Reisz asking about Edna?
(a) Madame Antoine
4. What does Adele tell Edna to do?
(a) Stay with her until she recovers
(b) Stay with Leonce no matter what
(c) To go back to Grande Isle
(d) Remember the children
5. On the advice of Dr. Mandelet, what does Leonce decide to do?
(a) Send her back to Kentucky
(b) Not bring her to New York with him
(c) Institutionalize her
(d) Divorce her
6. Why is Doctor Mandelet not bothered by Madame Ratignolle's complaints?
(a) Every patient complains, so it is not important.
(b) She has lost her mind.
(c) Her husband is the one who matters, not her.
(d) He is used to them and knows she is a loyal patient.
7. Why does Edna tell Victor to stop singing?
(a) She wants to sing.
(b) He is singing a song that Robert often sang to her.
(c) She hates that song.
(d) He is a terrible singer.
8. What does Edna do while her husband is in New York?
(a) She redecorates the house.
(b) She plays card games.
(c) She learns needlepoint.
(d) She spends time with Mrs. Highcamp and Alcee Arobin.
9. Edna and Robert finally kiss. Who made the first move?
(b) They moved toward one another at exactly the same time.
(d) The author does not say.
10. What explanation does Robert give for not writing to Edna?
(a) He thought she would not find his letters interesting.
(b) He thought writing to Mademoiselle Reisz was enough.
(c) The postal rates were too high.
(d) He could not find pen and paper.
11. What does the doctor explain about women to Mr. Pontellier?
(a) That it will cost a lot to get his explanation
(b) That they should be locked up
(c) That they should simply ask women to explain themselves
(d) That they cannot be explained
12. What does Edna receive with her husband's letter of disapproval?
(a) Instructions to contact a lawyer to start their divorce
(b) Instructions on how to get to this mother's house
(c) Instructions to contact an architect to remodel their house
13. Of what does Edna speak with authority?
(b) Race horses
(c) High society
14. Who is Edna thinking of when she returns home?
(a) Her sons
(b) The Colonel
15. Why did Robert leave Mexico?
(a) He could not find work.
(b) The Mexicans were not very congenial.
(c) He contracted a strange disease.
(d) He ran out of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suddenly appears before Victor and Mariequita?
2. Who is Alcee Arobin?
3. Does Robert know that Edna is reading his letters to Mademoiselle Reisz?
4. What did Robert write in his note to Edna?
5. Who made the tobacco pouch that Robert carries?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)