|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
(a) The future in gross detail
(b) Her life unfold like a beautiful flower
(c) Nothing. But she feels passions that make her choke with tears.
(d) Herself playing the piano
2. What is Madame Antoine cooking for dinner?
(b) Mullet, a type of fish
3. What had Edna attempted to learn all summer?
(a) How to memorize poetry
(b) How to swim
(c) How to cook
(d) How to fish
4. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
(a) Noon the next day
(b) About one hour before dawn
(c) Two in the morning
(d) At the same time she always does, seven a.m.
5. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Eager to go back
(b) Soothed and sleepy
(c) Profoundly changed
(d) Depressed rather than soothed
6. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To find someone his own age
(b) To get a part-time job
(c) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(d) To leave the Grande Isle
7. What starts to change in Edna this summer at Grande Isle?
(a) She longs to have another child.
(b) The mantel of reservation that had always enveloped her is loosening.
(c) The mantel of openness that had always enveloped her is tightening.
(d) The idea of living here year-round is gaining its appeal.
8. How has Robert's going away affected Edna?
(a) She feels like she is going mad.
(b) It has taken the brightness, the color, the meaning out of everything.
(c) She is not entirely sure yet.
(d) She has lost her appetite and is losing weight.
9. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
(a) Bonbons and peanuts
(b) Ice cream
(c) Bourbon balls
(d) Candies and walnuts
10. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
(b) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(c) He never jokes.
(d) She looked like a shark.
11. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
(a) Avocado Street
(b) Esplanade Street
(c) Bourbon Street
(d) Wall Street
12. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) Vera Cruz
(b) On a cruise ship
(c) No one is really sure
(d) Santa Cruz
13. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Victor Lebrun
(d) Madame Antoine
14. Where is Robert when Edna discovers his plan?
(a) In an adjacent room
(b) On his way to Mexico
(c) On the beach
(d) In the same room
15. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(b) Act of rebellion
(c) Amiable thing to do
(d) Act of convenience
Short Answer Questions
1. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
2. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
3. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
4. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
5. Why does Edna choose to remain in the hammock?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)