|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. And what does Leonce do when Edna asks him to come to bed?
(a) He stays behind to finish smoking his cigar.
(b) He ignores her and reads the newspaper.
(c) He comes immediately.
(d) He stays behind to have another round of wine.
2. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(a) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(b) Sick to her stomach
(d) She feels she is being liberated.
3. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
(a) He is a slow reader .
(b) He likes old news, not current news.
(c) He is too cheap to buy the day's paper.
(d) The day's paper has not yet reached the Grande Isle.
4. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(b) Adele Ratignolle
(c) Madame Lebrun
(d) The Police
5. Describe Madame Antoine:
(a) Fat, walks heavily and clumsily, speaks no English but is warm and friendly
(b) Short, with a rather unforgettable face
(c) Short, stout, angry and scary like a guard dog
(d) Thin, walks elegantly and speaks beautiful English
6. As Edna walks around town, who occupies her thoughts?
7. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) Santa Cruz
(b) No one is really sure
(c) Vera Cruz
(d) On a cruise ship
8. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She is skeptical.
(d) She has no reaction.
9. What does Edna do after her conversation with Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) She goes for a walk.
(b) She plunges into the ocean with abandon.
(c) She tries to find Robert's contact information.
(d) She announces she is going to renew her vows to Leonce.
10. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To get a part-time job
(b) To leave the Grande Isle
(c) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(d) To find someone his own age
11. What does Robert talk a great deal about?
(b) His brother
(c) His mother
12. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(b) Madame Ratignolle
(c) Madame Lebrun
(d) Mr. Pontellier
13. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
(a) To speculate in real estate
(b) To keep children in public not private schools
(c) To con people into buying investments they do not need
(d) To make money, not save it
14. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to Mexico
(b) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(c) That Robert is going to Europe
(d) That Robert is going to New York
15. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
(a) A duet from Zampa on the piano
(b) A scene from La Traviata
(c) A duet from a Puccini opera
(d) A skit they wrote about an evil king
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna do at Madame Antoine's?
2. How does Mrs. Pontellier react when her husband comes home from Klein's?
3. What happens to Edna at the service?
4. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
5. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)