|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To find someone his own age
(b) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(c) To get a part-time job
(d) To leave the Grande Isle
2. Why does Edna choose to remain in the hammock?
(a) She feels that her will had blazed up, stubborn and resistant.
(b) She has always preferred hammocks to beds.
(c) She thinks it may make Leonce romantic.
(d) She likes the salty air.
3. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
(a) Quick, bright, yellowish brown, about the color of her hair
(b) Dull, slow, blue like the sky
(c) It is impossible to see her eyes hidden behind sunglasses
(d) Green and grayish at the same time
4. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
(b) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
(c) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
(d) He has a short fuse.
5. When talking to both Adele and Edna, Robert is jovial and jokes often. Is he this way when alone with Edna?
(a) The author gives few clues as to how he behaves when alone with Edna.
(b) It depends on whether her husband is in the room.
(c) No, he is not.
(d) Yes, he is.
6. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
(a) She is delighted.
(b) She is skeptical.
(c) She has no reaction.
(d) She is shocked.
7. What had Edna attempted to learn all summer?
(a) How to fish
(b) How to cook
(c) How to swim
(d) How to memorize poetry
8. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
(a) Madame Antoine's
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz's
(c) Madame LeBrun's
(d) Madame Ratignolle
9. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
(a) A skit they wrote about an evil king
(b) A scene from La Traviata
(c) A duet from a Puccini opera
(d) A duet from Zampa on the piano
10. What does Edna call the piece she often hears Mademoiselle Reisz play?
(c) Swinging Blues
11. What is Madame Antoine cooking for dinner?
(a) Mullet, a type of fish
12. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(b) That Robert is going to Mexico
(c) That Robert is going to Europe
(d) That Robert is going to New York
13. Where does Edna go with her sketches?
(a) A flea market
(b) Madame Ratignolle's house
(c) The local artist's market
(d) Madame Lebrun's house
14. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(a) Act of rebellion
(c) Act of convenience
(d) Amiable thing to do
15. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) He gets a telegraph.
(b) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
(c) He cannot read it with any
(d) He gets a telephone call.
Short Answer Questions
1. In retrospect, how does Edna feel about stomping on her wedding ring?
2. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
3. What kind of woman is Edna not?
4. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say to Edna after her performance?
5. What does Edna throw at Robert?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)