|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edna wonders how many years she has slept. Robert says:
(a) An entire day
(b) About half an hour
(c) You have slept precisely one hundred years.
(d) You have slept exactly one hundred minutes.
2. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
(a) Avocado Street
(b) Wall Street
(c) Esplanade Street
(d) Bourbon Street
3. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
(a) Madame Ratignolle
(b) Madame Antoine's
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz's
(d) Madame LeBrun's
4. What happens on Tuesdays in the Pontellier home?
(a) It is gardening day so it is very noisy.
(b) It is not different from other days of the week.
(c) It is reception day when people come by for visits.
(d) It is cleaning day when the housekeeper comes.
5. Was Edna a good swimming student?
(a) No one has seen her swim, so no one can say.
(b) Decent. Robert thought she needed more lessons.
(c) She was outstanding.
(d) No. Robert was frustrated and thought it was futile to teach her.
6. How has Robert's going away affected Edna?
(a) She has lost her appetite and is losing weight.
(b) She is not entirely sure yet.
(c) It has taken the brightness, the color, the meaning out of everything.
(d) She feels like she is going mad.
7. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She is glad to be alone and painting
(b) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
(c) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(d) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
8. How does Mrs. Pontellier react when her husband comes home from Klein's?
(a) Surprised that he is home so early
(b) With little interest
(c) Angry that he is home so late
(d) With great enthusiasm
9. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to Mexico
(b) That Robert is going to Europe
(c) That Robert is going to New York
(d) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
10. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(b) The Pontellier children
(c) His mother
(d) The church parishoners
11. What does Edna throw at Robert?
(a) A pillow
(b) A frying pan
(c) Her shoe
(d) An orange she plucked from a tree
12. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) No one is really sure
(b) Santa Cruz
(c) On a cruise ship
(d) Vera Cruz
13. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(a) Adele Ratignolle
(c) The Police
(d) Madame Lebrun
14. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Madame Lebrun
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Mr. Pontellier
(d) Madame Ratignolle
15. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(a) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(b) She feels she is being liberated.
(c) Sick to her stomach
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
2. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
3. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
4. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
5. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)