|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Depressed rather than soothed
(b) Eager to go back
(c) Profoundly changed
(d) Soothed and sleepy
2. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Devises a scheme to move out
(b) Writes letters to her father
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Reads a book
3. How does Victor Lebrun describe Edna?
(a) Lacking in fashion taste
(c) Cute but too thin
4. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
(a) He has written a novel.
(b) Gone fishing
(c) He would devote himself to one married woman.
(d) He has built a house.
5. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
(a) To speculate in real estate
(b) To make money, not save it
(c) To keep children in public not private schools
(d) To con people into buying investments they do not need
6. What does Robert say in response to Edna's comment that they have spent the entire day together?
(a) All but the hundred years she was sleeping
(b) He is embarrassed at the remark and turns away.
(c) He does not really care, so he has no response.
(d) He does not think that is correct.
7. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Overly talkative
(b) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(c) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(d) Quiet, stoic
8. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
(a) She might just take off and join him .
(b) She does not like Robert as much as she thought.
(c) She is experiencing a real infatuation.
(d) She has always wanted to go to Mexico.
9. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
(a) A bizarre disease
(b) A fever
(c) A strange animal with him
(d) Been having nightmares
10. What does Edna throw at Robert?
(a) A frying pan
(b) An orange she plucked from a tree
(c) A pillow
(d) Her shoe
11. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
(a) Go to a restaurant
(b) Go to see his doctor
(c) Go to the club
(d) Go to the Ratignolles
12. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
(a) The beach
(b) Her room
(c) The train station
(d) The neighbor's dinner party
13. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
(a) Being a great mother
(b) Hating him
(c) Neglecting their children
(d) Giving Raoul the wrong medicine
14. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz's
(b) Madame Antoine's
(c) Madame Ratignolle
(d) Madame LeBrun's
15. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
(a) She adores them completely.
(b) She is fond of them because the law says she should be.
(c) She is not fond of them at all.
(d) She is fond of them in an uneven, impulsive way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
2. What effect does music generally have on Edna?
3. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
4. What does Mr. Pontellier send home to his wife while he is away?
5. What happens to Edna at the service?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)