|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(a) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(c) She feels she is being liberated.
(d) Sick to her stomach
2. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the children only.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It excites the adults only.
(d) It arouses everyone.
3. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
(a) It makes her want to pack up and go home.
(b) It makes her realize her life is full.
(c) It muddles her like wine, or like a first breath of freedom.
(d) She wishes she had a psychiatrist to talk to.
4. Where does Edna go with her sketches?
(a) Madame Ratignolle's house
(b) The local artist's market
(c) Madame Lebrun's house
(d) A flea market
5. Where does Robert suggest he and Edna go the next day?
(a) Grande Terre
(b) The Cayman Islands
(c) Grande Cheniere
(d) The Grand Canyon
6. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Madame Antoine
(d) Victor Lebrun
7. What happens to Edna at the service?
(a) She sings too loudly and is told to leave.
(b) She starts crying and cannot stop.
(c) She nearly faints and has to leave.
(d) She renounces religion.
8. How does Mrs. Pontellier react when her husband comes home from Klein's?
(a) Angry that he is home so late
(b) With great enthusiasm
(c) With little interest
(d) Surprised that he is home so early
9. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
(a) They are the most delightful people she knows.
(b) She confuses them with the Spanish.
(c) They are a treacherous, unscrupulous and revengeful people.
(d) She knows nothing of them and is very curious.
10. Over whom did Victor and Robert once fight?
(a) Mariequita, the Spanish girl
(b) A married woman on the Grande Isle
(c) A girl they went to school with
11. How has Robert's going away affected Edna?
(a) She feels like she is going mad.
(b) It has taken the brightness, the color, the meaning out of everything.
(c) She has lost her appetite and is losing weight.
(d) She is not entirely sure yet.
12. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
(a) They bake a pie together.
(b) She sits in the hammock and Robert smokes, in silence.
(c) They debate the merits of American literature.
(d) They play games with the children.
13. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(b) She is glad to be alone and painting
(c) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
(d) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
14. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
(b) He cannot read it with any
(c) He gets a telegraph.
(d) He gets a telephone call.
15. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) Vera Cruz
(b) On a cruise ship
(c) Santa Cruz
(d) No one is really sure
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
2. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
3. What is singing in French and a little Spanish?
4. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
5. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)