|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Montel?
(a) A celebrity who vacations on the Grande Isle
(b) A man who is in love with Madame Lebrun
(c) A servant at the Lebrun estate
(d) A friend of Edna's
2. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
(a) Go to a restaurant
(b) Go to the Ratignolles
(c) Go to see his doctor
(d) Go to the club
3. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
(a) He is not one to be interested in a house.
(b) With great pride
(c) He wishes it were smaller.
(d) With great modesty
4. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(b) Amiable thing to do
(c) Act of convenience
(d) Act of rebellion
5. In retrospect, how does Edna feel about stomping on her wedding ring?
(a) Perfectly fine
(c) She still cannot believe she did such a thing
6. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
(a) He does not believe in photographs.
(b) He stopped having them taken when he had to pay for them himself.
(c) He has not found a photographer he likes.
(d) He does not like the way he has turned out.
7. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the children only.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It arouses everyone.
(d) It excites the adults only.
8. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To leave the Grande Isle
(b) To find someone his own age
(c) To get a part-time job
(d) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
9. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(a) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(b) Sick to her stomach
(c) She feels she is being liberated.
10. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Their entire absence of prudery
(b) Their literary knowledge
(c) Their ability to drink a lot
(d) Their endurance especially when swimming
11. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to New York
(b) That Robert is going to Europe
(c) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(d) That Robert is going to Mexico
12. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) Her intimate moments with her husband
(b) Her interest in writing a novel
(c) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
(d) How to cook a chicken Creole style
13. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
(a) He cannot recall.
(b) Last year
(c) Months before
(d) That very afternoon, at four o'clock
14. Was Edna a good swimming student?
(a) She was outstanding.
(b) Decent. Robert thought she needed more lessons.
(c) No. Robert was frustrated and thought it was futile to teach her.
(d) No one has seen her swim, so no one can say.
15. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(b) She looked like a shark.
(c) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
(d) He never jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Edna search for?
2. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
3. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
4. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
5. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)