|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the adults only.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It excites the children only.
(d) It arouses everyone.
2. According to Mademoiselle Reisz, who is Madame Lebrun's favorite child?
(a) Neither son, she loves them equally
(b) A third son who goes unnamed in this novel
3. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(b) That Robert is going to Europe
(c) That Robert is going to Mexico
(d) That Robert is going to New York
4. How does Mrs. Pontellier react when her husband comes home from Klein's?
(a) With great enthusiasm
(b) Surprised that he is home so early
(c) With little interest
(d) Angry that he is home so late
5. Where does Edna go with her sketches?
(a) A flea market
(b) Madame Lebrun's house
(c) Madame Ratignolle's house
(d) The local artist's market
6. What does Edna want to do with Madame Ratignolle?
(a) Talk politics
(b) Start a restaurant
(c) Paint a portrait of her
(d) Start an art business
7. Edna gradually awakens, as if from a dream to feel:
(a) The realities pressing into her soul
(b) That it is better to sleep in a real bed
(c) Like she should sleep and dream more
(d) That she really is in a dream
8. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To get a part-time job
(b) To leave the Grande Isle
(c) To find someone his own age
(d) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
9. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
(a) Gone fishing
(b) He has written a novel.
(c) He would devote himself to one married woman.
(d) He has built a house.
10. What is singing in French and a little Spanish?
(a) A green and yellow parrot
(b) A green and yellow iguana
(c) A fat lady
(d) A fat man
11. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
(a) She suggests they take a walk.
(b) She obeys him instantly.
(c) She refuses to obey him.
(d) She asks if they can get a larger cottage.
12. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
(a) He wishes it were smaller.
(b) He is not one to be interested in a house.
(c) With great pride
(d) With great modesty
13. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A mother-woman
(b) A crazy woman
(c) A career woman
(d) A mean woman
14. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
(a) She speaks to Edna in a very mean tone.
(b) She rubs Edna's belly whenever she wants to.
(c) She is very physically affectionate.
(d) She never looks Edna in the eye when speaking to her.
15. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Devises a scheme to move out
(b) Cries almost uncontrollably
(c) Reads a book
(d) Writes letters to her father
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
2. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
3. How does Madame Ratignolle explain the behavior of the Lebruns?
4. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
5. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)