|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
(a) He wishes it were smaller.
(b) With great pride
(c) He is not one to be interested in a house.
(d) With great modesty
2. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
(a) Giving Raoul the wrong medicine
(b) Hating him
(c) Being a great mother
(d) Neglecting their children
3. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(b) She feels she is being liberated.
(c) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(d) Sick to her stomach
4. And what does Leonce do when Edna asks him to come to bed?
(a) He ignores her and reads the newspaper.
(b) He stays behind to have another round of wine.
(c) He comes immediately.
(d) He stays behind to finish smoking his cigar.
5. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
(b) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
(c) He has a short fuse.
(d) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
6. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
(a) The beach
(b) Her room
(c) The neighbor's dinner party
(d) The train station
7. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
(b) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(c) She laughs uncontrollably.
(d) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
8. What does Victor say has changed Edna?
(a) Her sense of style
(b) The city atmosphere
(c) His being around her
(d) Her new confidence
9. What does Robert do while Mrs. Pontellier paints?
(a) He becomes very silent.
(b) He often rests his head on her arm.
(c) He tickles her.
(d) He paints, too.
10. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
(a) Wall Street
(b) Bourbon Street
(c) Avocado Street
(d) Esplanade Street
11. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) The church parishoners
(b) The Pontellier children
(c) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(d) His mother
12. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To get a part-time job
(b) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(c) To find someone his own age
(d) To leave the Grande Isle
13. Who is Montel?
(a) A servant at the Lebrun estate
(b) A man who is in love with Madame Lebrun
(c) A celebrity who vacations on the Grande Isle
(d) A friend of Edna's
14. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say to Edna after her performance?
(a) Edna is the only one worth playing for.
(b) She would have preferred playing the violin.
(c) She should have chosen a different tune.
(d) It is the last time she will perform for anyone.
15. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
(a) A fever
(b) Been having nightmares
(c) A bizarre disease
(d) A strange animal with him
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
2. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
3. What does Edna throw at Robert?
4. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
5. Who, according to Madame Ratignolle, was naughty?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)