|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) Her intimate moments with her husband
(b) How to cook a chicken Creole style
(c) Her interest in writing a novel
(d) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
2. What starts to change in Edna this summer at Grande Isle?
(a) The mantel of openness that had always enveloped her is tightening.
(b) She longs to have another child.
(c) The mantel of reservation that had always enveloped her is loosening.
(d) The idea of living here year-round is gaining its appeal.
3. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
(a) She has bought an ugly swimsuit.
(b) She has bathed at a bad time.
(c) She has taken swimming lessons .
(d) She is under a white sunshade when a black one would be better.
4. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
(b) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
(c) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
(d) He has a short fuse.
5. How does Robert respond to Adele's request?
(a) He writes a list of reasons why he should do as he pleases.
(b) He takes it into serious consideration.
(c) He is taken aback at how serious and persistent she is.
(d) He playfully ignores her request and accuses her of being jealous.
6. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
(a) She rubs Edna's belly whenever she wants to.
(b) She speaks to Edna in a very mean tone.
(c) She never looks Edna in the eye when speaking to her.
(d) She is very physically affectionate.
7. Who is Montel?
(a) A man who is in love with Madame Lebrun
(b) A servant at the Lebrun estate
(c) A friend of Edna's
(d) A celebrity who vacations on the Grande Isle
8. In retrospect, how does Edna feel about stomping on her wedding ring?
(a) She still cannot believe she did such a thing
(c) Perfectly fine
9. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
(a) He does not like the way he has turned out.
(b) He does not believe in photographs.
(c) He has not found a photographer he likes.
(d) He stopped having them taken when he had to pay for them himself.
10. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Victor Lebrun
(b) Madame Antoine
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz
11. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
(a) She does not like Robert as much as she thought.
(b) She has always wanted to go to Mexico.
(c) She is experiencing a real infatuation.
(d) She might just take off and join him .
12. Who does Edna ask the little Negro girl to wake up?
(b) Madame Lebrun
13. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
(a) That very afternoon, at four o'clock
(b) He cannot recall.
(c) Last year
(d) Months before
14. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Their entire absence of prudery
(b) Their endurance especially when swimming
(c) Their ability to drink a lot
(d) Their literary knowledge
15. What does Edna do that surprises everyone?
(a) She runs up and down the beach like a madwoman.
(b) She takes surfing lessons.
(c) She jumps into the ocean and swims by herself.
(d) She forces Leonce to swim with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Robert when Edna discovers his plan?
2. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
3. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
4. When talking to both Adele and Edna, Robert is jovial and jokes often. Is he this way when alone with Edna?
5. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)