|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
(a) To speculate in real estate
(b) To con people into buying investments they do not need
(c) To make money, not save it
(d) To keep children in public not private schools
2. Who is the embodiment of every womanly grace and charm?
(a) The Woman in Black
(b) Adele Ratignolle
(d) Madame Lebrun
3. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(b) Quiet, stoic
(c) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(d) Overly talkative
4. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Madame Ratignolle
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Mr. Pontellier
(d) Madame Lebrun
5. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
(a) It is impossible to see her eyes hidden behind sunglasses
(b) Quick, bright, yellowish brown, about the color of her hair
(c) Dull, slow, blue like the sky
(d) Green and grayish at the same time
6. What does Edna do at Madame Antoine's?
(a) She helps cook.
(b) She cleans the house.
(c) She sleeps.
(d) She reads books.
7. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A career woman
(b) A mother-woman
(c) A mean woman
(d) A crazy woman
8. What does Edna want to do with Madame Ratignolle?
(a) Start a restaurant
(b) Paint a portrait of her
(c) Talk politics
(d) Start an art business
9. How does Madame Ratignolle explain the behavior of the Lebruns?
(a) Very logical
(b) They are bizarre because they are so bohemian.
(c) They are all given to heroics.
10. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) The weather
(b) Her children
(c) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
(d) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
11. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
(a) Her illness
(b) Her pregnancy
(c) Her situation in life
(d) Her relationship with her husband
12. What does Robert talk a great deal about?
(c) His brother
(d) His mother
13. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
(a) He is at Klein's.
(b) He went to Madame Antoine's.
(c) He is walking along the beach.
(d) He is now at the Cheniere.
14. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To find someone his own age
(b) To leave the Grande Isle
(c) To get a part-time job
(d) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
15. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to Europe
(b) That Robert is going to New York
(c) That Robert is going to Mexico
(d) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier realizes Edna will not come to bed, what does he do?
2. Who, according to Madame Ratignolle, was naughty?
3. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
4. What does Edna do that surprises everyone?
5. How does Robert respond to Adele's request?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)