|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
(b) Her children
(c) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
(d) The weather
2. Describe Madame Antoine:
(a) Short, stout, angry and scary like a guard dog
(b) Fat, walks heavily and clumsily, speaks no English but is warm and friendly
(c) Thin, walks elegantly and speaks beautiful English
(d) Short, with a rather unforgettable face
3. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to Mexico
(b) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(c) That Robert is going to Europe
(d) That Robert is going to New York
4. What does Mariequita think of Robert and Edna?
(a) That they have a secret
(b) That they should separate immediately
(c) That they would make good foster parents
(d) That they are sweethearts
5. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(b) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
(c) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
(d) She is glad to be alone and painting
6. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Their literary knowledge
(b) Their ability to drink a lot
(c) Their entire absence of prudery
(d) Their endurance especially when swimming
7. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) He gets a telegraph.
(b) He cannot read it with any
(c) He gets a telephone call.
(d) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
8. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
(a) She suggests they take a walk.
(b) She refuses to obey him.
(c) She obeys him instantly.
(d) She asks if they can get a larger cottage.
9. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
(a) The future in gross detail
(b) Herself playing the piano
(c) Her life unfold like a beautiful flower
(d) Nothing. But she feels passions that make her choke with tears.
10. How does Victor Lebrun describe Edna?
(c) Cute but too thin
(d) Lacking in fashion taste
11. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
(a) He went to Madame Antoine's.
(b) He is at Klein's.
(c) He is walking along the beach.
(d) He is now at the Cheniere.
12. As Edna walks around town, who occupies her thoughts?
13. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
(b) He has a short fuse.
(c) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
(d) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
14. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
(a) Ice cream
(b) Candies and walnuts
(c) Bourbon balls
(d) Bonbons and peanuts
15. What does Edna do at Madame Antoine's?
(a) She helps cook.
(b) She reads books.
(c) She sleeps.
(d) She cleans the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Edna go with her sketches?
2. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
3. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
4. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
5. What effect does music generally have on Edna?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)