|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
(a) It muddles her like wine, or like a first breath of freedom.
(b) It makes her realize her life is full.
(c) It makes her want to pack up and go home.
(d) She wishes she had a psychiatrist to talk to.
2. What happens to Edna at the service?
(a) She starts crying and cannot stop.
(b) She nearly faints and has to leave.
(c) She renounces religion.
(d) She sings too loudly and is told to leave.
3. What happens on Tuesdays in the Pontellier home?
(a) It is gardening day so it is very noisy.
(b) It is not different from other days of the week.
(c) It is reception day when people come by for visits.
(d) It is cleaning day when the housekeeper comes.
4. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A crazy woman
(b) A mother-woman
(c) A career woman
(d) A mean woman
5. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
6. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(a) Madame Lebrun
(c) Adele Ratignolle
(d) The Police
7. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) Only those who know music
(b) It excites the adults only.
(c) It excites the children only.
(d) It arouses everyone.
8. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
(a) They are the most delightful people she knows.
(b) She knows nothing of them and is very curious.
(c) They are a treacherous, unscrupulous and revengeful people.
(d) She confuses them with the Spanish.
9. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
(a) He does not like the way he has turned out.
(b) He does not believe in photographs.
(c) He has not found a photographer he likes.
(d) He stopped having them taken when he had to pay for them himself.
10. Describe Madame Antoine:
(a) Thin, walks elegantly and speaks beautiful English
(b) Fat, walks heavily and clumsily, speaks no English but is warm and friendly
(c) Short, stout, angry and scary like a guard dog
(d) Short, with a rather unforgettable face
11. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
(a) That very afternoon, at four o'clock
(b) Months before
(c) Last year
(d) He cannot recall.
12. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He has a short fuse.
(b) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
(c) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
(d) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
13. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
(a) It is impossible to see her eyes hidden behind sunglasses
(b) Quick, bright, yellowish brown, about the color of her hair
(c) Dull, slow, blue like the sky
(d) Green and grayish at the same time
14. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
(a) Neglecting their children
(b) Giving Raoul the wrong medicine
(c) Being a great mother
(d) Hating him
15. How does Madame Ratignolle explain the behavior of the Lebruns?
(a) They are bizarre because they are so bohemian.
(b) They are all given to heroics.
(c) Very logical
Short Answer Questions
1. Edna gradually awakens, as if from a dream to feel:
2. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
3. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
4. Once Mr. Pontellier realizes Edna will not come to bed, what does he do?
5. Over whom did Victor and Robert once fight?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)