|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on Tuesdays in the Pontellier home?
(a) It is gardening day so it is very noisy.
(b) It is reception day when people come by for visits.
(c) It is not different from other days of the week.
(d) It is cleaning day when the housekeeper comes.
2. What starts to change in Edna this summer at Grande Isle?
(a) She longs to have another child.
(b) The idea of living here year-round is gaining its appeal.
(c) The mantel of openness that had always enveloped her is tightening.
(d) The mantel of reservation that had always enveloped her is loosening.
3. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
(a) She does not like Robert as much as she thought.
(b) She has always wanted to go to Mexico.
(c) She is experiencing a real infatuation.
(d) She might just take off and join him .
4. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Quiet, stoic
(b) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(c) Overly talkative
(d) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
5. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
(b) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(c) She looked like a shark.
(d) He never jokes.
6. What effect does music generally have on Edna?
(a) None. She hates music.
(b) It has a way of evoking pictures in her mind.
(c) Sedative. It makes her sleepy.
(d) It has a way of making her anxious.
7. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
(b) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(c) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
(d) She laughs uncontrollably.
8. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
(a) Esplanade Street
(b) Bourbon Street
(c) Avocado Street
(d) Wall Street
9. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the adults only.
(b) It arouses everyone.
(c) It excites the children only.
(d) Only those who know music
10. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) Her children
(b) The weather
(c) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
(d) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
11. Where is Mr. Pontellier eager to go the next day?
(a) Carondelet Street, the business center of the city
(b) Easy Street, to open a bar
(c) Bourbon Street, the heart of New Orleans
(d) Wall Street, to conduct business
12. When talking to both Adele and Edna, Robert is jovial and jokes often. Is he this way when alone with Edna?
(a) No, he is not.
(b) Yes, he is.
(c) The author gives few clues as to how he behaves when alone with Edna.
(d) It depends on whether her husband is in the room.
13. What does Mariequita think of Robert and Edna?
(a) That they have a secret
(b) That they would make good foster parents
(c) That they should separate immediately
(d) That they are sweethearts
14. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Victor Lebrun
(c) Madame Antoine
(d) Mademoiselle Reisz
15. What does Edna do that surprises everyone?
(a) She forces Leonce to swim with her.
(b) She takes surfing lessons.
(c) She runs up and down the beach like a madwoman.
(d) She jumps into the ocean and swims by herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
2. What is singing in French and a little Spanish?
3. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
4. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
5. And what does Leonce do when Edna asks him to come to bed?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)