|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mademoiselle Reisz, who is Madame Lebrun's favorite child?
(b) A third son who goes unnamed in this novel
(d) Neither son, she loves them equally
2. Was Edna a good swimming student?
(a) No one has seen her swim, so no one can say.
(b) No. Robert was frustrated and thought it was futile to teach her.
(c) She was outstanding.
(d) Decent. Robert thought she needed more lessons.
3. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
(a) He has written a novel.
(b) Gone fishing
(c) He has built a house.
(d) He would devote himself to one married woman.
4. Describe Madame Antoine:
(a) Short, with a rather unforgettable face
(b) Fat, walks heavily and clumsily, speaks no English but is warm and friendly
(c) Thin, walks elegantly and speaks beautiful English
(d) Short, stout, angry and scary like a guard dog
5. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
(a) He cannot recall.
(b) Last year
(c) That very afternoon, at four o'clock
(d) Months before
6. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Depressed rather than soothed
(b) Eager to go back
(c) Soothed and sleepy
(d) Profoundly changed
7. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
(a) They bake a pie together.
(b) They play games with the children.
(c) She sits in the hammock and Robert smokes, in silence.
(d) They debate the merits of American literature.
8. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
(a) She adores them completely.
(b) She is not fond of them at all.
(c) She is fond of them in an uneven, impulsive way.
(d) She is fond of them because the law says she should be.
9. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) Her intimate moments with her husband
(b) Her interest in writing a novel
(c) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
(d) How to cook a chicken Creole style
10. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
(a) Her pregnancy
(b) Her relationship with her husband
(c) Her illness
(d) Her situation in life
11. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) The church parishoners
(b) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(c) His mother
(d) The Pontellier children
12. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Their ability to drink a lot
(b) Their entire absence of prudery
(c) Their endurance especially when swimming
(d) Their literary knowledge
13. Why is Robert at Grande Isle?
(a) He likes to spend time with old women.
(b) He had heard of it through a friend, thought he should see it.
(c) He spends every summer vacation there with his mother.
(d) He is in search of a job.
14. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(a) Amiable thing to do
(c) Act of rebellion
(d) Act of convenience
15. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) He never jokes.
(b) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
(c) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(d) She looked like a shark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Antoine cooking for dinner?
2. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
3. What happens to Edna at the service?
4. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
5. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)