|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Robert suggest he and Edna go the next day?
(a) Grande Terre
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Grande Cheniere
(d) The Cayman Islands
2. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
(a) Bonbons and peanuts
(b) Bourbon balls
(c) Ice cream
(d) Candies and walnuts
3. What does Victor say has changed Edna?
(a) Her sense of style
(b) His being around her
(c) Her new confidence
(d) The city atmosphere
4. What does Edna want to do with Madame Ratignolle?
(a) Start an art business
(b) Paint a portrait of her
(c) Start a restaurant
(d) Talk politics
5. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
(a) At the same time she always does, seven a.m.
(b) Two in the morning
(c) About one hour before dawn
(d) Noon the next day
6. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
(a) Her relationship with her husband
(b) Her illness
(c) Her situation in life
(d) Her pregnancy
7. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
(a) She is a better painter than Edna.
(b) Robert wrote to his mother but not to Edna.
(c) She is richer than Edna.
(d) She is more beautiful than Edna.
8. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(b) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
(c) She laughs uncontrollably.
(d) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
9. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
(a) Madame Ratignolle
(b) Madame LeBrun's
(c) Madame Antoine's
(d) Mademoiselle Reisz's
10. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
(a) A duet from a Puccini opera
(b) A duet from Zampa on the piano
(c) A scene from La Traviata
(d) A skit they wrote about an evil king
11. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(b) Madame Lebrun
(c) Adele Ratignolle
(d) The Police
12. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Writes letters to her father
(b) Devises a scheme to move out
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Reads a book
13. Who is the embodiment of every womanly grace and charm?
(a) Adele Ratignolle
(b) The Woman in Black
(c) Madame Lebrun
14. Although they do not talk, what does the author say is happening between Robert and Edna?
(a) They have a lot to say but cannot find the right words.
(b) They are feeling the throbbings of desire.
(c) They are learning to be silent around each other.
(d) They are allowing anger to fester within themselves.
15. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
(a) Her room
(b) The beach
(c) The neighbor's dinner party
(d) The train station
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
2. Why are there no recent adult photographs of Robert at his mother's home?
3. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
4. What starts to change in Edna this summer at Grande Isle?
5. Was Edna a good swimming student?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)