|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rather than paint, what does Mr. Pontellier think his wife should be doing?
(a) Going back to school
(b) Looking after the children and household
(c) Getting a job
(d) Volunteering at a hospital
2. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
(a) He thinks it makes him look good.
(b) He cannot afford cigars.
(c) He cannot afford pipes.
(d) No particular reasons
3. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(b) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(c) Overly talkative
(d) Quiet, stoic
4. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Cries almost uncontrollably
(b) Reads a book
(c) Writes letters to her father
(d) Devises a scheme to move out
5. As Edna walks around town, who occupies her thoughts?
6. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
(b) He cannot read it with any
(c) He gets a telegraph.
(d) He gets a telephone call.
7. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
(a) She rubs Edna's belly whenever she wants to.
(b) She speaks to Edna in a very mean tone.
(c) She is very physically affectionate.
(d) She never looks Edna in the eye when speaking to her.
8. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
(a) She is more beautiful than Edna.
(b) She is a better painter than Edna.
(c) Robert wrote to his mother but not to Edna.
(d) She is richer than Edna.
9. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
(b) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
(c) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(d) She laughs uncontrollably.
10. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(b) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
(c) He never jokes.
(d) She looked like a shark.
11. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
(a) He likes old news, not current news.
(b) The day's paper has not yet reached the Grande Isle.
(c) He is a slow reader .
(d) He is too cheap to buy the day's paper.
12. Once Mr. Pontellier realizes Edna will not come to bed, what does he do?
(a) He grabs her and carries her upstairs.
(b) He runs to the beach and swims alone.
(c) He stays up, drinks wine, and smokes cigars next to her.
(d) He goes out and drinks with this male friends.
13. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
(b) She is glad to be alone and painting
(c) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(d) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
14. Who, according to Madame Ratignolle, was naughty?
(a) Adele herself
(d) Etienne, one of Edna's sons
15. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(a) The Police
(b) Adele Ratignolle
(d) Madame Lebrun
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Edna at the service?
2. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
3. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
4. What does Mariequita think of Robert and Edna?
5. How does Robert respond to Adele's request?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)