|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
(a) Herself playing the piano
(b) Nothing. But she feels passions that make her choke with tears.
(c) Her life unfold like a beautiful flower
(d) The future in gross detail
2. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
(a) They are a treacherous, unscrupulous and revengeful people.
(b) She confuses them with the Spanish.
(c) They are the most delightful people she knows.
(d) She knows nothing of them and is very curious.
3. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(b) To leave the Grande Isle
(c) To get a part-time job
(d) To find someone his own age
4. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
(a) Months before
(b) He cannot recall.
(c) That very afternoon, at four o'clock
(d) Last year
5. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Their endurance especially when swimming
(b) Their entire absence of prudery
(c) Their ability to drink a lot
(d) Their literary knowledge
6. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
(a) Her situation in life
(b) Her pregnancy
(c) Her relationship with her husband
(d) Her illness
7. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is going to Europe
(b) That Robert is going to Mexico
(c) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(d) That Robert is going to New York
8. What does Mr. Pontellier send home to his wife while he is away?
(a) A basket filled with wine bottles
(b) A basket filled with eggs
(c) A basket filled with exquisite candies and fancy foods
(d) A basket filled with instructions on how she should behave
9. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
(a) Bourbon balls
(b) Ice cream
(c) Bonbons and peanuts
(d) Candies and walnuts
10. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Profoundly changed
(b) Eager to go back
(c) Soothed and sleepy
(d) Depressed rather than soothed
11. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
(a) Dull, slow, blue like the sky
(b) Quick, bright, yellowish brown, about the color of her hair
(c) Green and grayish at the same time
(d) It is impossible to see her eyes hidden behind sunglasses
12. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
(a) Noon the next day
(b) At the same time she always does, seven a.m.
(c) About one hour before dawn
(d) Two in the morning
13. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Victor Lebrun
(b) Madame Antoine
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz
14. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(b) Madame Lebrun
(c) Mr. Pontellier
(d) Madame Ratignolle
15. What had Edna attempted to learn all summer?
(a) How to fish
(b) How to swim
(c) How to memorize poetry
(d) How to cook
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier realizes Edna will not come to bed, what does he do?
2. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
3. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
4. What does Edna do that surprises everyone?
5. When talking to both Adele and Edna, Robert is jovial and jokes often. Is he this way when alone with Edna?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)