|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) The weather
(b) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
(c) Her children
(d) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
2. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
(b) He gets a telegraph.
(c) He cannot read it with any
(d) He gets a telephone call.
3. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Soothed and sleepy
(b) Eager to go back
(c) Depressed rather than soothed
(d) Profoundly changed
4. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's eyes.
(a) Dull, slow, blue like the sky
(b) Quick, bright, yellowish brown, about the color of her hair
(c) Green and grayish at the same time
(d) It is impossible to see her eyes hidden behind sunglasses
5. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
(a) Eager to experience a religious awakening
(c) She feels she is being liberated.
(d) Sick to her stomach
6. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Devises a scheme to move out
(b) Reads a book
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Writes letters to her father
7. Edna wonders how many years she has slept. Robert says:
(a) You have slept precisely one hundred years.
(b) You have slept exactly one hundred minutes.
(c) An entire day
(d) About half an hour
8. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Victor Lebrun
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz
(d) Madame Antoine
9. What effect does music generally have on Edna?
(a) None. She hates music.
(b) It has a way of making her anxious.
(c) It has a way of evoking pictures in her mind.
(d) Sedative. It makes her sleepy.
10. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
11. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
(a) Been having nightmares
(b) A strange animal with him
(c) A fever
(d) A bizarre disease
12. How does Robert respond to Adele's request?
(a) He writes a list of reasons why he should do as he pleases.
(b) He takes it into serious consideration.
(c) He is taken aback at how serious and persistent she is.
(d) He playfully ignores her request and accuses her of being jealous.
13. How soon will Robert depart?
(a) The next day
(b) That night
(c) Within minutes
(d) In a fortnight
14. Although they do not talk, what does the author say is happening between Robert and Edna?
(a) They are learning to be silent around each other.
(b) They are feeling the throbbings of desire.
(c) They are allowing anger to fester within themselves.
(d) They have a lot to say but cannot find the right words.
15. What does Mr. Pontellier send home to his wife while he is away?
(a) A basket filled with exquisite candies and fancy foods
(b) A basket filled with instructions on how she should behave
(c) A basket filled with eggs
(d) A basket filled with wine bottles
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
2. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
3. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
4. What happens to Edna at the service?
5. What were some of the reasons Edna decided to marry Leonce Pontellier?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)