|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
(a) She is not fond of them at all.
(b) She is fond of them in an uneven, impulsive way.
(c) She adores them completely.
(d) She is fond of them because the law says she should be.
2. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She has no reaction.
(c) She is delighted.
(d) She is skeptical.
3. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
(a) She never looks Edna in the eye when speaking to her.
(b) She rubs Edna's belly whenever she wants to.
(c) She is very physically affectionate.
(d) She speaks to Edna in a very mean tone.
4. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She is glad to be alone and painting
(b) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
(c) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
(d) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
5. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
(a) No particular reasons
(b) He cannot afford pipes.
(c) He thinks it makes him look good.
(d) He cannot afford cigars.
6. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(b) The church parishoners
(c) His mother
(d) The Pontellier children
7. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
(a) He gets a telephone call.
(b) His back hurts and he is uncomfortable.
(c) He gets a telegraph.
(d) He cannot read it with any
8. Edna thinks her husband's bad humor is because of:
(b) His bad finances
(c) His work
(d) The hot weather
9. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(b) Quiet, stoic
(c) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(d) Overly talkative
10. What happens on Tuesdays in the Pontellier home?
(a) It is cleaning day when the housekeeper comes.
(b) It is not different from other days of the week.
(c) It is gardening day so it is very noisy.
(d) It is reception day when people come by for visits.
11. What does Madame Ratignolle beg Robert to do?
(a) Accompany her to the house
(b) Babsyit her children
(c) Fix her house
(d) Start an affair with Edna
12. Who is Montel?
(a) A friend of Edna's
(b) A servant at the Lebrun estate
(c) A man who is in love with Madame Lebrun
(d) A celebrity who vacations on the Grande Isle
13. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) Only those who know music
(b) It excites the adults only.
(c) It arouses everyone.
(d) It excites the children only.
14. Why is Robert at Grande Isle?
(a) He spends every summer vacation there with his mother.
(b) He had heard of it through a friend, thought he should see it.
(c) He is in search of a job.
(d) He likes to spend time with old women.
15. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) The weather
(b) Her children
(c) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
(d) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
Short Answer Questions
1. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
2. Who does Edna search for?
3. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
4. What is Madame Antoine cooking for dinner?
5. According to Mademoiselle Reisz, who is Madame Lebrun's favorite child?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)