|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
(a) Her relationship with her husband
(b) Her situation in life
(c) Her illness
(d) Her pregnancy
2. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Devises a scheme to move out
(b) Writes letters to her father
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Reads a book
3. What does Edna call the piece she often hears Mademoiselle Reisz play?
(d) Swinging Blues
4. Where is Mr. Pontellier eager to go the next day?
(a) Bourbon Street, the heart of New Orleans
(b) Wall Street, to conduct business
(c) Easy Street, to open a bar
(d) Carondelet Street, the business center of the city
5. Why does Edna choose to remain in the hammock?
(a) She has always preferred hammocks to beds.
(b) She thinks it may make Leonce romantic.
(c) She likes the salty air.
(d) She feels that her will had blazed up, stubborn and resistant.
6. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
(a) It makes her want to pack up and go home.
(b) She wishes she had a psychiatrist to talk to.
(c) It muddles her like wine, or like a first breath of freedom.
(d) It makes her realize her life is full.
7. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(b) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
(c) She laughs uncontrollably.
(d) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
8. How soon will Robert depart?
(a) In a fortnight
(b) That night
(c) The next day
(d) Within minutes
9. Where does Robert take Edna to recover?
(a) Madame LeBrun's
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz's
(c) Madame Ratignolle
(d) Madame Antoine's
10. What do Robert and Edna do before Mr. Pontellier returns to the cottage?
(a) They debate the merits of American literature.
(b) They bake a pie together.
(c) She sits in the hammock and Robert smokes, in silence.
(d) They play games with the children.
11. And what does Leonce do when Edna asks him to come to bed?
(a) He stays behind to finish smoking his cigar.
(b) He comes immediately.
(c) He stays behind to have another round of wine.
(d) He ignores her and reads the newspaper.
12. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the adults only.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It arouses everyone.
(d) It excites the children only.
13. What does Madame Ratignolle do to Edna that she first finds unsettling?
(a) She speaks to Edna in a very mean tone.
(b) She is very physically affectionate.
(c) She never looks Edna in the eye when speaking to her.
(d) She rubs Edna's belly whenever she wants to.
14. What were some of the reasons Edna decided to marry Leonce Pontellier?
(a) Her father and sister were violently opposed to him.
(b) He was completely different from her father.
(c) He was wealthy beyond her imagination.
(d) He was irresitibly handsome and charming.
15. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
(b) Quiet, stoic
(c) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(d) Overly talkative
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is very fond of Robert?
2. How does Madame Ratignolle explain the behavior of the Lebruns?
3. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
4. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
5. How does Mrs. Pontellier react when her husband comes home from Klein's?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)