|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ketil call Merewyn?
2. What does Merewyn tell Orm is the proper protocol when they meet the Abbot of Glastonbury?
3. Who sails into Greenland in June of 1000?
4. How long does it take the ships to get to the land Erik speaks of?
5. What does Erik tell Ketil when Ketil finds him in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Allthing?
2. How did Ketil react to Merewyn's plea for him not to go a-viking anymore?
3. How did Bishop Ethelwold reply to Merewyn when she asked him where she should go upon her return from her journey to bury the Abbess' heart at St. Petroc's?
4. Why did Orm stiffen when the porter at Glastonbury Abbey referred to the Vikings as "dreadful Danes?"
5. Where was Merewyn's interview and what was Merewyn doing with Abbess Merwinna when the Abbess told Merewyn that she couldn't be accepted into the novitiate?
6. When did Rumon get word of Merewyn's whereabouts when he followed her back to Padstow?
7. What did Orm feel for his mother once Orm sold the Bylgia to the Bristol Thane, Odo?
8. How does Merewyn describe Thorbjorg, the seeress from Brattalid?
9. When Brother Finian told Rumon that he smelled smoke as they came to the broad estuary of the Camel River in their search for Merewyn, how did Rumon respond to Finian?
10. Why couldn't Merewyn get the land grants and the title of Thane for Orm that she wanted in the year 1002?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Avalon" has many journeys in it. Discuss how these journeys of Rumon and Merewyn add to the novel as a whole and parallel the inner journeys that both Rumon and Merewyn experience.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Catholic Church in "Avalon?" How does the Church influence decisions made by the characters? How would the characters decisions be different if the Church didn't have such pervasive effect in Medieval society?
Essay Topic 3
What is the passionate emotion that is communicated in "Avalon?" Why was Seton moved to write? What is the thing that the Seton had to communicate? Explain Seton's motivating emotion and how it is explored in "Avalon?"
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)