|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rumon decide to do once he heard the news that Merewyn was taken by the Vikings?
2. When does the Abbess interview the nuns?
3. What does Sigurd make Orm promise before Sigurd dies?
4. Which country does regular trade with Greenland in 1000?
5. When do Finian and Rumon first sense that something is wrong on their journey to find Merewyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Rumon get word of Merewyn's whereabouts when he followed her back to Padstow?
2. How had Bishop Ethelwold done his duty by Merewyn for her trip to St. Petroc's?
3. How does Merewyn describe Thorbjorg, the seeress from Brattalid?
4. How were Merewyn, Orm, and Thora received at the hostel at Glastonbury Abbey?
5. Why couldn't Merewyn get the land grants and the title of Thane for Orm that she wanted in the year 1002?
6. When Brother Finian told Rumon that he smelled smoke as they came to the broad estuary of the Camel River in their search for Merewyn, how did Rumon respond to Finian?
7. When Finian and Rumon went up to the monastery, what did the prior, Poldu, say happened to Merewyn during the Viking raid?
8. What is the Allthing?
9. How did Ketil react to Merewyn's plea for him not to go a-viking anymore?
10. How does Merewyn's mother-in-law, Asgerd feel about Merewyn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Avalon" has many journeys in it. Discuss how these journeys of Rumon and Merewyn add to the novel as a whole and parallel the inner journeys that both Rumon and Merewyn experience.
Essay Topic 2
Think about how the characters, setting, and themes in "Avalon" relate to the period in which it was written. (The early to mid 1960s.) How is it a reflection, and how is it a criticism of that time period? How does Seton make her opinions about that world clear to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Compare England with Great Ireland where Rumon was held captive for 3 years with the Culdees. Explain how the two places differ, what each place represents, and how their contrast contributes to the meaning of the work.
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)