|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take the ships to get to the land Erik speaks of?
2. Who becomes ill when Ketil goes down to the naust for his daily walk to the Bylgja?
3. How do the people at the feast react to the commands that Leif presents to them?
4. What is the name of the chief Viking?
5. What does Merewyn want Sigurd to do while at the Althing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Merewyn dressed as she followed her men on the way to the Allthing?
2. What did Merewyn see on her trip to the Allthing?
3. Why did Orm stiffen when the porter at Glastonbury Abbey referred to the Vikings as "dreadful Danes?"
4. How did Ketil dress on his way to the Allthing, two weeks after Rumon left Iceland?
5. How was Sigurd dressed as he followed Ketil on the way to the Allthing?
6. What did the Abbess Merwinna request of Merewyn?
7. What was the grand commotion that happened in Greenland in June of 1000?
8. What did Merewyn see as the differences between Greenland and Iceland?
9. How does Merewyn describe Thorbjorg, the seeress from Brattalid?
10. What did Merewyn tell the porter at Glastonbury Abbey that got her in to see the Abbot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why the ending of "Avalon" appropriately or inappropriately concluded the story. Did the ending of "Avalon" provide the reader with a significant closure or did it merely end? Does the reader have to adjust to ambiguity or uncertainty or does "Avalon" satisfy the reader need to know what happens to Merewyn and Rumon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way that the techniques Seton uses to make the setting vivid and real to readers and how effective these techniques are. What are the primary locations? How are these places made realistic? How does Seton use extended description, background information and specific detail to make the setting come alive for readers? How do Merewyn and Rumon fit in the setting: Do they seem at home or out of place? How do their reactions and interactions with the setting affect the realism of the locations?
Essay Topic 3
In "Avalon," many brutal Viking raids are described. Compare and contrast the English views of Vikings or Norsemen to what we see when Merewyn becomes an accepted member of Icelandic society.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)