|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Odo friendly to Merewyn?
2. When do Finian and Rumon first sense that something is wrong on their journey to find Merewyn?
3. Who is Sigurd?
4. How does Orm accept the proper protocol when he meets the Abbot of Glastonbury?
5. Who came to the church and was going to rape Merewyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Merewyn see as the differences between Greenland and Iceland?
2. How did Brother Finian and Rumon find out that the smoke Finian smelled was really a Viking attack?
3. What was wrong with Ethelred's first wife, Queen Elgifu, in the year 1002?
4. Why did Orm stiffen when the porter at Glastonbury Abbey referred to the Vikings as "dreadful Danes?"
5. How were Merewyn, Orm, and Thora received at the hostel at Glastonbury Abbey?
6. How does Merewyn describe Thorbjorg, the seeress from Brattalid?
7. How was Merewyn dressed as she followed her men on the way to the Allthing?
8. How was Sigurd dressed as he followed Ketil on the way to the Allthing?
9. How does Merewyn's mother-in-law, Asgerd feel about Merewyn?
10. How did Ketil react to Merewyn's plea for him not to go a-viking anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Celtic Christianity and Roman Catholicism of Medieval society. What do they have in common? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Explore how gender affects the plot and character development in "Avalon." How are male and female characters portrayed? What are the roles of males and females in Medieval society both in England and Iceland? How did gender influence the choices that were available to the characters and the decisions that they made?
Essay Topic 3
Select a moment or scene in "Avalon" that you find especially memorable. Identify the passage, explain how it is used in the novel, and analyze the reasons for its effectiveness.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)