|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sigurd?
2. What did Rumon decide to do once he heard the news that Merewyn was taken by the Vikings?
3. Who asks to join King Sweyn?
4. What does Merewyn want for Orm in England?
5. What does Merewyn tell Orm is the proper protocol when they meet the Abbot of Glastonbury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to England as Ethelred cowered in his palace at Winchester?
2. When Finian and Rumon went up to the monastery, what did the prior, Poldu, say happened to Merewyn during the Viking raid?
3. What did Orm feel for his mother once Orm sold the Bylgia to the Bristol Thane, Odo?
4. How did Bishop Ethelwold reply to Merewyn when she asked him where she should go upon her return from her journey to bury the Abbess' heart at St. Petroc's?
5. What is Thora, Merewyn's daughter, like in June of 1000?
6. How were Merewyn, Orm, and Thora received at the hostel at Glastonbury Abbey?
7. Where was Merewyn's interview and what was Merewyn doing with Abbess Merwinna when the Abbess told Merewyn that she couldn't be accepted into the novitiate?
8. How did Merewyn describe the Hafnarfell Mountains?
9. What was wrong with Ethelred's first wife, Queen Elgifu, in the year 1002?
10. When did Rumon get word of Merewyn's whereabouts when he followed her back to Padstow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Celtic Christianity and Roman Catholicism of Medieval society. What do they have in common? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the Catholic Church in "Avalon?" How does the Church influence decisions made by the characters? How would the characters decisions be different if the Church didn't have such pervasive effect in Medieval society?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how and why the ending of "Avalon" appropriately or inappropriately concluded the story. Did the ending of "Avalon" provide the reader with a significant closure or did it merely end? Does the reader have to adjust to ambiguity or uncertainty or does "Avalon" satisfy the reader need to know what happens to Merewyn and Rumon?
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)