|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presents Rumon to the King?
2. What does Rumon's vision convince him of?
3. What did the monks do when the Vikings attacked?
4. In what year does the story begin?
5. Why does Merewyn leave home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the monastery behind the small church that is dedicated to St. Petroc look like when Rumon saw it for the first time?
2. What was Rumon's nightmare on Christmas night after Alfrida had made time to see him earlier in the day?
3. What does King Edgar look like when Rumon and Merewyn first encounter him?
4. What terrible events followed very soon after Edward's Coronation?
5. Describe Rumon's appearance when he first meets Merewyn.
6. When Merewyn arrives at the Great Hall of Lydford Castle, how does she describe it?
7. Describe Merewyn when she first encounters Rumon.
8. Describe Brother Finian.
9. Detail Rumon's vision at Tre-Uther.
10. How does Dunstan describe the scene that he came upon that led him to take Rumon to Glastonbury Abbey two weeks after the coronation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Avalon," some of the characters are given positive, sympathetic portrayals. Others have negative, perhaps even villainous portrayals. Others may be introduced as negative but gradually become positive. How does Seton indicate which characters are positive and which are negative? What details, actions, and characteristics does Seton give us to help us define which characters are "good" in the novel and which ones are "bad?" Explain how you are able to tell the difference.
Essay Topic 2
Think about how the characters, setting, and themes in "Avalon" relate to the period in which it was written. (The early to mid 1960s.) How is it a reflection, and how is it a criticism of that time period? How does Seton make her opinions about that world clear to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The dove motif appears several times in "Avalon." Why is the dove used in the story? How does it relate to those particular scenes in the novel? How is it important to the overall theme or plot?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)