|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two main characters?
2. What does King Edward ask Alfrida through Gunner?
3. What does Breaca make Rumon promise?
4. Why is Gunnar disgusted when he goes to the Abbey?
5. How does the Archbishop feel about the Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brother Finian.
2. How did Alfrida act toward Edward in the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What happened when Edward's body thane, Gunnar, is sent to Alfrida on Coronation Eve?
4. What happened between Alfrida and Alfhere when Alfhere burst into Alfrida's bower after he heard that Ethelred would not attend Edward's Coronation?
5. Is Breaca, Merewyn's mother, crazy as Rumon thinks she is when he meets her at the beginning of Chapter 2?
6. What was Rumon's nightmare on Christmas night after Alfrida had made time to see him earlier in the day?
7. What terrible events followed very soon after Edward's Coronation?
8. When Merewyn arrives at the Great Hall of Lydford Castle, how does she describe it?
9. How does Edward describe his love, Elgifu?
10. What kind of person is Earl Alfhere, Lord of all Mercia, when he is introduced in Chapter 3? What does he look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Avalon," some of the characters are given positive, sympathetic portrayals. Others have negative, perhaps even villainous portrayals. Others may be introduced as negative but gradually become positive. How does Seton indicate which characters are positive and which are negative? What details, actions, and characteristics does Seton give us to help us define which characters are "good" in the novel and which ones are "bad?" Explain how you are able to tell the difference.
Essay Topic 2
When Rumon finds Merewyn in Iceland as an accepted member of society and happily married, Rumon may have viewed that as an act of betrayal by Merewyn. Later, Rumon admits to Merewyn that he betrayed his own values and beliefs when he killed two Vikings during a raid not to save the church's treasures in an act of heroism but symbolically killing Merewyn's Viking husband and father for them having taken Merewyn away from him. Analyze the nature of these betrayals and demonstrate how they contributed to the meaning of "Avalon" as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the way that social class and class issues influence the characters and plot of "Avalon." What social classes are represented? To what extent is each class depicted; are all the classes given equal representation? How do the classes in "Avalon" relate to the classes that realistically existed in Medieval England and Iceland?
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)