|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Merewyn become an official lady-in-waiting to Queen Elgifu?
(a) The year 999.
(b) The year 1005.
(c) The year 1002.
(d) The year 1000.
2. How does King Ethelred decide to solve the problem of the Viking attacks?
(a) He offers his youngest daughter to Canute in marriage.
(b) He has his Thanes set fire to the Viking ships.
(c) He decides to pay Sweyn to stop attacking England.
(d) He has his Thanes slaughter the Vikings.
3. What is held every year on the eastern plain of Reykjavik?
(a) The sacrifice to Thor.
(b) The Althing.
(c) The national sheep shearing contest.
(d) The Carnival.
4. Why is Odo friendly to Merewyn?
(a) He wants her to have good things to say about him when she gets to Court.
(b) He recognizes Merewyn from years earlier.
(c) He's a monk and monks should be friendly.
(d) He is hoping she and her Viking son won't hurt him.
5. What does the Abbot suggest to Merewyn regarding her question?
(a) She go elsewhere for the information.
(b) She talk to Brother Finian who lives in one of the cells halfway up the Tor.
(c) She leave the Abbey at once.
(d) She doesn't deserve to know where Rumon is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbot think Merewyn and her group want?
2. What does the Abbess ask Merewyn to do when the Abbess dies?
3. How long does it take the ships to get to the land Erik speaks of?
4. How does Merewyn feel about going to the place Erik speaks of?
5. What does Erik tell Ketil when Ketil finds him in the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was wrong with Ethelred's first wife, Queen Elgifu, in the year 1002?
2. How does Merewyn describe Thorbjorg, the seeress from Brattalid?
3. How did Merewyn describe the Hafnarfell Mountains?
4. Where was Merewyn's interview and what was Merewyn doing with Abbess Merwinna when the Abbess told Merewyn that she couldn't be accepted into the novitiate?
5. What did Merewyn tell the porter at Glastonbury Abbey that got her in to see the Abbot?
6. What was the grand commotion that happened in Greenland in June of 1000?
7. What did Merewyn see on her trip to the Allthing?
8. What is Thora, Merewyn's daughter, like in June of 1000?
9. When Brother Finian told Rumon that he smelled smoke as they came to the broad estuary of the Camel River in their search for Merewyn, how did Rumon respond to Finian?
10. What happened to England as Ethelred cowered in his palace at Winchester?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)