|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merewyn tell Orm is the proper protocol when they meet the Abbot of Glastonbury?
(a) It is proper for him to shake the Abbot's left hand with his right to show him he bears no weapons.
(b) It is proper for him to bow to the Abbot.
(c) It is proper for him to kiss the Abbot's ring.
(d) It is proper for him to kneel before the Abbot.
2. Where does Merewyn take her aunt's heart after her aunt dies?
(a) To the grave of King Arthur.
(b) To the crypt in the Abbey.
(c) To Uther.
(d) To the King.
3. What is Rumon doing at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He is telling his grandchildren the story of how he found Merewyn, their grandmother.
(b) He is working in the garden, having given up hope of ever finding Merewyn.
(c) He and Merewyn are being married.
(d) He and Brother Finian continue their journey to find Merewyn.
4. Where do Ketil and his group arrive when Rumon has been gone a fortnight?
5. What is held every year on the eastern plain of Reykjavik?
(a) The Carnival.
(b) The Althing.
(c) The sacrifice to Thor.
(d) The national sheep shearing contest.
6. After Thorbjorg tells Sigurd and Merewyn about Ketil, what does Thorbjorg say about Merewyn ?
(a) Merewyn will have several more children but only 1 will survive to adulthood.
(b) Thorbjorg sees big changes for Merewyn and Merewyn will not die in Greenland.
(c) Merewyn will die in the upcoming epidemic.
(d) Merewyn will marry the stranger from England in the years ahead.
7. Who do Rumon and Finian find at the church?
(b) The Vikings.
(c) Only the prior, Poldu.
8. Who becomes ill when Ketil goes down to the naust for his daily walk to the Bylgja?
9. What does Rumon tell Merewyn when they sit down at twilight?
(a) He must go.
(b) He wants to marry her.
(c) He wants her.
(d) He is ill.
10. Who is Thorbjorg?
(a) Ketil's new young wife.
(b) Orm's girlfriend.
(c) A seeress from Brattalid.
(d) Leif Erikson's wife.
11. Three days after speaking with the Abbot of Glastonbury, where do Merewyn and her children arrive?
(a) At the place where Tre-Uther used to be.
(b) At Rumon's doorstep.
(c) At Romsey Abbey in Hampshire.
(d) At Court.
12. Ketil rides around on his horse looking for whom at "Logberg"?
(c) Erik the Red.
13. Who dies after a prolonged illness that causes terrible stomach pain?
(b) Leif Erikson.
14. What does Bishop Ethelwold do when he returns to the Abbey in October?
(a) He celebrates a special mass of thanks.
(b) He hears final vows from Elfled and four others.
(c) He expels two nuns for their lack of courage.
(d) He chastises the Abbess for making herself sick.
15. What does Erik the Red have for his son?
(b) A wife.
(c) A dog.
(d) A great feast.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Abbess interview the nuns?
2. Who is found dead after Rumon and Finian see that Tre-Uther is burned?
3. What mountains does Merewyn have a view of from her home?
4. What does Merewyn tell the Abbot she wants?
5. What did Rumon decide to do once he heard the news that Merewyn was taken by the Vikings?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)