|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bishop Ethelwold do when he returns to the Abbey in October?
(a) He expels two nuns for their lack of courage.
(b) He chastises the Abbess for making herself sick.
(c) He hears final vows from Elfled and four others.
(d) He celebrates a special mass of thanks.
2. What does Rumon tell Merewyn when they sit down at twilight?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He must go.
(d) He wants her.
3. What does the Abbot think Merewyn and her group want?
(b) Lodging for the night.
4. Who is found dead after Rumon and Finian see that Tre-Uther is burned?
(a) Caw and Godo.
(b) Merewyn and her servants.
(c) Alfrida and Ethelred.
(d) Dunstan and another bishop.
5. What kind of a ruler is Ethelred?
6. How do the people at the feast react to the commands that Leif presents to them?
(a) Despite reluctance, everyone knows that trade is directly tied to their obedience in matters such as these.
(b) Most leave the feast immediately without celebrating in protest.
(c) A huge fight breaks out among the men.
(d) Most refuse to be baptized outright.
7. How does Rumon react to Poldu's news that Merewyn was taken by the Vikings?
(a) He is devastated.
(b) He drops to his knees and prays for her protection.
(c) He cries terribly.
(d) He is angry that Poldu didn't stop them.
8. Who is Sigurd?
(a) Merewyn's husband.
(b) Merewyn's son.
(c) Merewyn's guard.
(d) Merewyn's captor.
9. Who do Rumon and Finian find at the church?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) Only the prior, Poldu.
10. What did Merewyn ask of her husband and father-in-law, Ketil?
(a) If she could go home to England.
(b) To help her raise her sister.
(c) Not to go a-viking anymore.
(d) Not to leave her alone in the house at night.
11. Why is Odo friendly to Merewyn?
(a) He recognizes Merewyn from years earlier.
(b) He is hoping she and her Viking son won't hurt him.
(c) He wants her to have good things to say about him when she gets to Court.
(d) He's a monk and monks should be friendly.
12. What commands does Leif present to the people when he arrives at the feast?
(a) The people of Greenland must raise more sheep.
(b) The King of Norway wants everyone baptized right away.
(c) The people of Greenland must stop going after Vikings.
(d) The people of Greenland must return to Iceland.
13. When does Merewyn become an official lady-in-waiting to Queen Elgifu?
(a) The year 1002.
(b) The year 999.
(c) The year 1005.
(d) The year 1000.
14. How quickly do Rumon and the fishermen he hired reach the mouth of the Shannon River?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 1 day.
(d) 6 days.
15. What does Sigurd make Orm promise before Sigurd dies?
(a) That Orm take his mother and sister back to England.
(b) That Orm marry and have children.
(c) That Orm serve Leif well.
(d) That Orm become a great man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships set sail from the western Fjords in the Spring?
2. Why does Queen Elgifu need constant nursing?
3. Which country does regular trade with Greenland in 1000?
4. What does Merewyn do to avoid Rumon after what happens at twilight on the top of the Tor?
5. Who dies after a prolonged illness that causes terrible stomach pain?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)