|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Erik the Red have for his son?
(a) A wife.
(c) A great feast.
(d) A dog.
2. What does Sigurd make Orm promise before Sigurd dies?
(a) That Orm serve Leif well.
(b) That Orm take his mother and sister back to England.
(c) That Orm marry and have children.
(d) That Orm become a great man.
3. After Thorbjorg tells Sigurd and Merewyn about Ketil, what does Thorbjorg say about Merewyn ?
(a) Thorbjorg sees big changes for Merewyn and Merewyn will not die in Greenland.
(b) Merewyn will marry the stranger from England in the years ahead.
(c) Merewyn will have several more children but only 1 will survive to adulthood.
(d) Merewyn will die in the upcoming epidemic.
4. What does the Abbot think Merewyn and her group want?
(c) Lodging for the night.
5. How does King Ethelred decide to solve the problem of the Viking attacks?
(a) He has his Thanes slaughter the Vikings.
(b) He decides to pay Sweyn to stop attacking England.
(c) He offers his youngest daughter to Canute in marriage.
(d) He has his Thanes set fire to the Viking ships.
6. What does Orm ask Merewyn about after she and her party walk over the Mendip Mountains?
(a) The English language.
(b) The girl he hopes to marry.
(c) The Tor and St. Michael's tower.
(d) Her life before she was in Iceland.
7. What does Bishop Ethelwold do when he returns to the Abbey in October?
(a) He hears final vows from Elfled and four others.
(b) He celebrates a special mass of thanks.
(c) He chastises the Abbess for making herself sick.
(d) He expels two nuns for their lack of courage.
8. What does Merewyn ask the Abbot?
(a) Who is king now?
(b) Could she stay at the Abbey?
(c) Where Rumon is.
(d) Would he baptize her children?
9. Who's commands does Leif present to the people when he arrives at the feast?
(a) King Sverker II of Sweden.
(b) King Olaf Tryggvason of Norway.
(c) King Hugh of France.
(d) King Vaaran of Finland.
10. How does Orm accept the proper protocol when he meets the Abbot of Glastonbury?
(a) Orm refuses.
(b) Orm does what he is told without question.
(c) Orm complains.
(d) Orm sulks at the idea.
11. How does Merewyn react to what Rumon tells her when they sit down at twilight?
(a) She accepts his offer and goes with him to the tower.
(b) She cries with sadness that her aunt is not there.
(c) She is horrified that he would think that she is good enough to bed but not to wed.
(d) She cries with joy.
12. Why is Merewyn excited after she and her party walk over the Medip Mountains?
(a) She is excited to be at Glastonbury and to find Rumon.
(b) She is exicted to tell her children about the area in which she grew up.
(c) She is excited to be home.
(d) She is excited to finally be over the mountains.
13. Who does King Sweyn leave behind in England?
(a) His wife and Canute.
(b) His 3 daughters.
(c) One of his Viking ships.
(d) His sister and husband and their son.
14. How quickly do Rumon and the fishermen he hired reach the mouth of the Shannon River?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 1 hour.
15. What did Merewyn ask of her husband and father-in-law, Ketil?
(a) Not to go a-viking anymore.
(b) Not to leave her alone in the house at night.
(c) If she could go home to England.
(d) To help her raise her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is found dead after Rumon and Finian see that Tre-Uther is burned?
2. What does Ketil think of Erik's news?
3. What kind of a ruler is Ethelred?
4. How does Rumon react to Poldu's news that Merewyn was taken by the Vikings?
5. Who does Merewyn see coming up the road on horseback as she waves good-bye to Asgerd?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)