|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet is being discussed in “Photographs: Jeats”?
2. Where is Geryon in the opening of “Kiss”?
3. What does Geryon imagine he sees in the living room in “Water”?
4. Where does Geryon go with the yellowbeard after the lecture in “Distances”?
5. The opening sentence of “Kiss” suggests that "a healthy volcano is an exercise in" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Geryon's circumstances changed in Section 8?
2. Who is Ancash? How is this character introduced?
3. What is the primary subject of “Photographs: The Meek”?
4. What does the flour represent in “The Flashes in Which A Man Possesses Himself”?
5. What does the title of the poem “Gladys” refer to?
6. How do the soldiers describe the volcano in “Photographs: I Am A Beast”?
7. How is the setting described in “Roof”?
8. What memories come to Geryon in “Tango”?
9. What does Geryon take from Harrods? Why?
10. What is significant about Geryon's job in "Freedom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of the word "EACH" to Geryon. Who defines this word for him and how is it defined? What meaning does this word take on as the narrative continues?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Geryon's family members and discuss the dynamics of his family. With whom is Geryon closest growing up? Why? How would you describe Geryon's relationship with his older brother?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the genre and style of Autobiography of Red. How is the main narrative set up? What different formats (essay, poetry, etc.) comprise the book? Why do you think the author has chosen to relate her story in this genre and style?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)