|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather described when Geryon wakes in the night in “Water”?
2. “Mitwelt” opens with a sentence that states that "there is no person without" what?
3. When does Geryon recall doing a science project in “Mitwelt”?
4. Why does Ancash hit Geryon in “Photographs: Like and Not Like”?
5. What color is the awning over Harrods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Geryon feel about his circumstances while traveling in “Aeroplane”?
2. What does Geryon take from Harrods? Why?
3. What is significant about the reference to Helen in “Interview (Stesichoros)”?
4. What is the central conflict in “Photographs: Like and Not Like”?
5. Describe Geryon's circumstances in “Tunnel.” How old is he at this point in the narrative?
6. How have Geryon's circumstances changed in Section 8?
7. Where in the novel does the climax occur?
8. What is significant about the yellowbeard in Autobiography of Red?
9. Who is Ancash? How is this character introduced?
10. What do Geryon and Herakles' grandmother discuss in “Memory Burn”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Geryon's family members and discuss the dynamics of his family. With whom is Geryon closest growing up? Why? How would you describe Geryon's relationship with his older brother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the genre and style of Autobiography of Red. How is the main narrative set up? What different formats (essay, poetry, etc.) comprise the book? Why do you think the author has chosen to relate her story in this genre and style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the color red that appears throughout the novel. What does this color represent to Geryon and the other characters in the story? What does red represent to you? What themes does the color connect to in Autobiography of Red?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)