|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name "Lazer" short for in the narrative?
2. What is Geryon defined as in the verse novel?
3. Where is Geryon's mother described when he returns home in “Fruit Bowl”?
4. Where are Herakles and Geryon going in the beginning of “Memory Burn”?
5. What is the name of the volcano that Geryon's group is traveling to in “Photographs: I Am A Beast”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the term “Mitwelt” refer to in this poem?
2. What does the title of the poem “Gladys” refer to?
3. What does Geryon's photograph represent in “Distances”?
4. What is significant about the yellowbeard in Autobiography of Red?
5. How does Geryon feel about his circumstances while traveling in “Aeroplane”?
6. How have Geryon's circumstances changed in Section 8?
7. What is the central conflict in “Photographs: Like and Not Like”?
8. What do Geryon and Herakles' grandmother discuss in “Memory Burn”?
9. How is volcano imagery employed in “Kiss”?
10. How is the setting described in “Huaraz”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of identity and the "Other" in Autobiography of Red. How are these themes developed through character, setting, and action? How does the author support these themes through symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's allusions to Gertrude Stein and to Homer in Autobiography of Red. How are these authors compared to Stesichoros? In what way have these authors innovated literature and/or poetry? What is said about the power of words in Stein's quote in the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Herakles in Autobiography of Red. When and where does Geryon meet Herakles? What is the nature of their relationship? How does this relationship evolve?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)