|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geryon recall seeing killed in “Aeroplane”?
2. What are Herakles and Ancash recording across South America in “Fast Forward”?
3. What is Geryon defined as in the verse novel?
4. How did Geryon return home in “Fruit Bowl”?
5. The yellowbeard suggests that doctors hide the fact that many children are born with what in “Distances”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Geryon doing when he encounters Herakles in "Kiss"? Why?
2. How have Geryon's circumstances changed in Section 8?
3. What does Geryon take from Harrods? Why?
4. How does Geryon feel about his circumstances while traveling in “Aeroplane”?
5. What is significant about Ancash's legend of his people in “Eyewitnesses”?
6. What is foreshadowed through the discussion of lava in "AA"?
7. How do the soldiers describe the volcano in “Photographs: I Am A Beast”?
8. How is the setting described in “Roof”?
9. What motifs appear in “Slopes”? How are they introduced?
10. What does the title of the poem “Gladys” refer to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Geryon's dog in the novel. How is the dog described? In what poems does the dog appear? What statement is made regarding the dog in the final interview at the end of the book? What do you think is meant by this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings established in Autobiography of Red. Where does Geryon grow up? Where does he meet Herakles as an adult? Where does Geryon travel in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the encounter between Geryon and the centaur. What do you think is foreshadowed by this encounter? How is the centaur described? What do you think the centaur represents metaphorically in the novel?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)