|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ancash's mother claims that the coffee is infused with what in “Huaraz”?
2. What word from “Interview (Stesichoros)” refers to a principle or set of beliefs laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true?
3. Where is the particular kind of lava called "aa" described in “AA”?
4. The location for the presentation in “Slopes” is described as an abandoned factory for what?
5. How do Geryon and the yellowbeard travel to the space for the presentation in “Slopes”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the name of the volcano that Geryon goes to visit with Ancash, his mother, and Herakles?
2. What motifs appear in “Slopes”? How are they introduced?
3. How is volcano imagery employed in “Kiss”?
4. What does the flour represent in “The Flashes in Which A Man Possesses Himself”?
5. How is the setting described in “Huaraz”?
6. What is the primary subject of “Photographs: The Meek”?
7. What is Geryon doing when he encounters Herakles in "Kiss"? Why?
8. How does Geryon feel about his circumstances while traveling in “Aeroplane”?
9. How do the soldiers describe the volcano in “Photographs: I Am A Beast”?
10. What is significant about the reference to Helen in “Interview (Stesichoros)”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Geryon get a job when he becomes an adult? What is metaphorically significant about this job? What does the job foreshadow? How does irony apply to Geryon's job?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the genre and style of Autobiography of Red. How is the main narrative set up? What different formats (essay, poetry, etc.) comprise the book? Why do you think the author has chosen to relate her story in this genre and style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of identity and the "Other" in Autobiography of Red. How are these themes developed through character, setting, and action? How does the author support these themes through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)