|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose relationship with Geryon's is becoming more distant in “Space and Time”?
2. By whom was Stesichoros supposedly struck blind?
3. What does Geryon's mother urge him to do in “Screendoor”?
4. What word from “Geryon's Parents" refers to a Lilin-demon in male form who lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activity with them?
5. What drink does the centaur give to Geryon in "Geryon's Weekend"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the color red explored metaphorically in Section 7?
2. How is the color red employed as a motif in the novel?
3. How is the color red used as a motif in Section 5?
4. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
5. Describe the structure of the poems in the main storyline. How are the poems similar in their format?
6. What does the dog signify in "Wings" and the other early poems in the novel?
7. What is signficant about Geryon's perception of himself in "Right"?
8. How would you describe the language style in the introduction to the novel?
9. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
10. What motif appears in “Screendoor”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of cigarettes in the novel. When and where do cigarettes appear in the poems? What do you think they signify? Why? To what themes does this motif connect?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of the main story in Autobiography of Red. From what point of view is the story related? Is the narrator omniscient or limited in perspective? How do each of these choices impact the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the developing artist in Autobiography of Red. What forms of art does Geryon experiment with in the narrative? How does Geryon advance as an artist? What statements do you think Anne Carson is making regarding the development of the artist?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)