|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the waitress ask when she brings the food in ”Grooming"?
2. Who does Herakles grandmother claim to have known in “She”?
3. What color are the butterflies that Geryon points out in “Somnambula”?
4. What is Geryon's mother standing next to in the opening line from “Screendoor”?
5. What does Geryon offer to do for his mother in the end of “Space and Time”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the word "each" in the poem with the same title?
2. Where is Herakles hometown? How is it described?
3. What is a palinode? What palinode is described in Appendix A: “Testimonia on the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen”?
4. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
5. What are examples of foreshadowing seen in “Sex Question” through “Somnambula”?
6. What does Geryon's camera represent symbolically in the novel?
7. What theme is explored in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
8. What motif appears in “Screendoor”?
9. How is the color red employed as a motif in the novel?
10. Describe the structure of the poems in the main storyline. How are the poems similar in their format?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's allusions to Gertrude Stein and to Homer in Autobiography of Red. How are these authors compared to Stesichoros? In what way have these authors innovated literature and/or poetry? What is said about the power of words in Stein's quote in the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the word "EACH" to Geryon. Who defines this word for him and how is it defined? What meaning does this word take on as the narrative continues?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of coming of age in Autobiography of Red. What aspects of growing up are highlighted in Geryon's story? How does Geryon change as he grows from a boy into a man?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)