|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Grooming," the opening sentence describes living childhood close to what?
2. What color are the butterflies that Geryon points out in “Somnambula”?
3. What is the opening sentence in the beginning of "Sex Question"?
4. Herakles comments in “Walls” that all of Geryon's creative expressions reference what?
5. What does Herakles say "cooked" his hometown in "Hades"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comprises Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
2. What supposedly caused Stesichoros' "un-blinding"?
3. What is signficant about Geryon's perception of himself in "Right"?
4. How is the color red explored metaphorically in Section 7?
5. Describe the structure of the poems in the main storyline. How are the poems similar in their format?
6. What major character in the verse novel is introduced in Section 5?
7. How is the theme of sexual dominance explored in Section 7?
8. What does Geryon's camera represent symbolically in the novel?
9. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
10. What is noted about the innovations of Stesichoros' writing in “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Geryon's family members and discuss the dynamics of his family. With whom is Geryon closest growing up? Why? How would you describe Geryon's relationship with his older brother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and works of Stesichoros. When did Stesichoros live? Where did he live? How many works did he write? How many remain? What is notable about his writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of identity and the "Other" in Autobiography of Red. How are these themes developed through character, setting, and action? How does the author support these themes through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)