|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first claim that is made in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
2. What kind of sports practice do Geryon's brother and father attend in "Tuesday"?
3. In “Geryon,” the narrator says, "Geryon's dream began red then slipped out of the vat and" what?
4. What does Geryon's mother suggest he use next time in making a sculpture in "Tuesday"?
5. What goddesss is describe as looking through the floor in "Meanwhilte in Heaven"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the quote that opens “Autobiography of Red: A Romance”?
2. What is the significance of the word "each" in the poem with the same title?
3. How is Geryon's visit to the volcano explored metaphorically in Section 7?
4. How is the color red explored metaphorically in Section 7?
5. What does the dog signify in "Wings" and the other early poems in the novel?
6. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
7. What theme is explored in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
8. What major character in the verse novel is introduced in Section 5?
9. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
10. How are volcanoes explored metaphorically in Section 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of cigarettes in the novel. When and where do cigarettes appear in the poems? What do you think they signify? Why? To what themes does this motif connect?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the word "EACH" to Geryon. Who defines this word for him and how is it defined? What meaning does this word take on as the narrative continues?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the color red that appears throughout the novel. What does this color represent to Geryon and the other characters in the story? What does red represent to you? What themes does the color connect to in Autobiography of Red?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)