|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The beginning of “Kiss” finds Geryon contemplating the "cracks and fissures of" what?
(a) "Human civilization."
(b) "His inner life."
(c) "The world."
(d) "The earth's crust."
2. Where is the particular kind of lava called "aa" described in “AA”?
(a) New Zealand.
3. What does Geryon do when he returns to his hotel in “Distances”?
(a) He takes a photograph of himself.
(b) He calls his mother.
(c) The goes immediately to sleep.
(d) He reads a newspaper.
4. Where is Geryon's mother described when he returns home in “Fruit Bowl”?
(a) On the porch swing.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the living room sofa.
(d) At the kitchen table.
5. What are the women doing by the side of the road when Geryon, Herakles, and Ancash pass them in the end of “Car”?
(a) Smoking cigarettes.
(b) Reading magazines.
(c) Chasing a dog.
(d) Running for the border.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the animals on the carousel carved, according to Ancash in “Harrods”?
2. What does Ancash see that prompts him to tell Geryon about the legend in “Eyewitnesses”?
3. What is noted about the fruit bowl in “Fruit Bowl”?
4. How do Geryon and the yellowbeard travel to the space for the presentation in “Slopes”?
5. Where is Geryon in the opening of “Harrods”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories come to Geryon in “Tango”?
2. What motifs appear in “Slopes”? How are they introduced?
3. What does the flour represent in “The Flashes in Which A Man Possesses Himself”?
4. How have Geryon's circumstances changed in Section 8?
5. What is significant about the reference to Helen in “Interview (Stesichoros)”?
6. What is the primary subject of “Photographs: The Meek”?
7. What does Geryon's photograph represent in “Distances”?
8. How is the setting described in “Huaraz”?
9. Who is Ancash? How is this character introduced?
10. Describe Geryon's circumstances in “Tunnel.” How old is he at this point in the narrative?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)