|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the butterflies that Geryon points out in “Somnambula”?
(a) Green and yellow.
(b) Red and black.
(c) Red and blue.
(d) Yellow and orange.
2. What kind of livestock does the narrator describe Geryon raising in “Geryon”?
3. What does Geryon's mother suggest he use next time in making a sculpture in "Tuesday"?
(a) A one-dollar bill.
(c) A ten-dollar bill.
(d) A hammer.
4. What author is described in the introduction as summing up Picasso in saying, "This one was working"?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) William Butler Yeats.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
5. What kind of food does Geryon use in making his sculpture in "Tuesday"?
(a) An olive.
(b) An orange.
(c) A tomato.
(d) An apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose quote opens “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
2. What is the opening sentence in the beginning of "Sex Question"?
3. What is compared to "the sleep of the just" in "Each"?
4. To whom does Plato compare Stesichoros in Appendix A: “Testimonia on the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen”?
5. What is Geryon's mother doing as she looks at him in the opening line from “Screendoor”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the color red employed as a motif in the novel?
2. What are examples of foreshadowing seen in “Sex Question” through “Somnambula”?
3. How is the color red explored metaphorically in Section 7?
4. What is the significance of the word "each" in the poem with the same title?
5. What irony can be seen in the poem "Justice"?
6. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
7. How is Geryon's visit to the volcano explored metaphorically in Section 7?
8. What supposedly caused Stesichoros' "un-blinding"?
9. To whom is the Greek writer Stesichoros compared in “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
10. Who do you think is referred to by the word "Him" in "Meanwhile He Came"? Why?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)