|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Herakles sitting on the lawn when Geryon finds him in “Somnambula”?
(b) Geryon’s father.
(d) Herakles' grandmother.
2. Where are Geryon and Herakles sitting in "Sex Question"?
(a) In a movie theater.
(b) In church.
(c) In a car.
(d) In Geryon's bedroom.
3. Where does Geryon encounter Herakles in "Change"?
(a) At church.
(b) On the schoolyard.
(c) At an arcade.
(d) At the bus depot.
4. What are Geryon and Herakles doing in “Walls”?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Going into a cafe.
(c) Sitting in a bookstore.
(d) Painting graffiti.
5. What does Herakles say "cooked" his hometown in "Hades"?
(a) A forest fire.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A war between the gods.
(d) A bombing raid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geryon receive from a friend of his mother's in “Ideas”?
2. Who abducted Helen, according to mythology?
3. What is the sound of horses compared to in “Geryon’s War Record”?
4. What word refers to a poem in which the poet retracts a view or sentiment expressed in a former poem?
5. What does Geryon offer to do for his mother in the end of “Space and Time”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme is explored in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
2. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
3. What major character in the verse novel is introduced in Section 5?
4. What comprises Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
5. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
6. What supposedly caused Stesichoros' "un-blinding"?
7. How is the motif of the color red explored in "Justice," "Each," and "Rhinestones"?
8. Describe the structure of the poems in the main storyline. How are the poems similar in their format?
9. What sexual abuse is described in "Each"?
10. What is the significance of the word "each" in the poem with the same title?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)