|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many titles remain of Stesichoros' books today?
(a) 100 or so.
(b) 12 or so.
(c) 20 or so.
(d) 5 or so.
2. “Autobiography of Red: A Romance” opens with a poem by whom?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
3. What does Geryon do with his wings in ”Pair”?
(a) He straps them down.
(b) He cuts them off.
(c) He stretches them and then flies.
(d) He washes them.
4. What question does Geryon ask Herakles in "Sex Question"?
(a) "Is it true you think about sex every day?"
(b) "Are roses being burned alive?"
(c) "Did Helen of Troy really exist?"
(d) "Who is your father?"
5. Who is described as performing a sex act in public in ”Grooming"?
(a) The yellowbeard.
(b) Ancash's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first line of Appendix B: "The Palinode of Stesichoros by Stesichoros (Fragment 192 Poetae Melici Graeci)," the narrator states, "No it is not" what?
2. Who calls Herakles' family's home in “She”?
3. What is Geryon's mother standing next to in the opening line from “Screendoor”?
4. What is the sound of horses compared to in “Geryon’s War Record”?
5. What does Geryon receive from a friend of his mother's in “Ideas”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony can be seen in the poem "Justice"?
2. What major character in the verse novel is introduced in Section 5?
3. Where is Herakles hometown? How is it described?
4. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
5. What supposedly caused Stesichoros' "un-blinding"?
6. What is the significance of the word "each" in the poem with the same title?
7. What does the dog signify in "Wings" and the other early poems in the novel?
8. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
9. What theme is explored in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
10. What is the purpose of the book's introduction “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)