|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Plato compare Stesichoros in Appendix A: “Testimonia on the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen”?
2. What word from “Geryon's Parents" refers to a Lilin-demon in male form who lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activity with them?
3. What kind of hedge surrounds the windows of the kindergarten in "Justice"?
(b) Highbush cranberry.
(c) Dwarf yaupon holly.
4. What question does Geryon ask Herakles in "Sex Question"?
(a) "Are roses being burned alive?"
(b) "Is it true you think about sex every day?"
(c) "Did Helen of Troy really exist?"
(d) "Who is your father?"
5. From what setting does Geryon leave with the centaur in the beginning of "Geryon's Weekend"?
(a) The church.
(b) The bar.
(c) The maze.
(d) The garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom was Stesichoros supposedly struck blind?
2. What is the described as the "unsavory aftermath" of Helen's sexual misconduct in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
3. What does Geryon's teacher ask his mother at the parent-teacher conference in “Ideas”?
4. What is compared to "the sleep of the just" in "Each"?
5. In "Geryon's Death Begins," the narrator says, "Geryon walked the red length of his mind and answered" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Geryon's visit to the volcano explored metaphorically in Section 7?
2. To whom is the Greek writer Stesichoros compared in “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
3. How would you describe the language style in the introduction to the novel?
4. What is suggested by the references to the color red in Section 6?
5. What motif appears in “Screendoor”?
6. What is the significance of the encounter with the centaur in "Geryon's Weekend"?
7. Why and how is Virginia Woolf alluded to in "She"?
8. What is the purpose of the book's introduction “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
9. What does the dog signify in "Wings" and the other early poems in the novel?
10. What does Geryon's camera represent symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)