|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first claim that is made in Appendix C: "Clearing Up of the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen"?
(a) "Either Helen was the daughter of Zeus or she was not."
(b) "If Stesichoros was a blind man either we will lie or if not not."
(c) "Either Stesichoros was a blind man or he was not."
(d) "Either Helen existed or she did not."
2. Who said of Stesichoros, "What a sweet genius in the use of adjectives"?
(c) Gertrude Stein.
3. The subject in the opening line of “Lava” imagines being what alone in the dark?
(a) A dragon.
(b) A lion.
(c) A woman.
(d) A tiger.
4. Who is described as performing a sex act in public in ”Grooming"?
(a) Ancash's mother.
(d) The yellowbeard.
5. What kind of hedge surrounds the windows of the kindergarten in "Justice"?
(c) Highbush cranberry.
(d) Dwarf yaupon holly.
6. What has Herakles invited Geryon to see in ”Pair”?
(a) A demi-god.
(b) A train.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A volcano.
7. What is the red dog on the beach compared to in "Wings"?
(a) "A distant speck of grain."
(b) "A freed shadow."
(c) "Roses being burned alive."
(d) "An antelope."
8. What does the waitress ask when she brings the food in ”Grooming"?
(a) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are newlyweds.
(b) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are brothers.
(c) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are on a school trip.
(d) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are old enough to drink.
9. What does Geryon offer to do for his mother in the end of “Space and Time”?
(a) He offers to take her to the bus station.
(b) He offers to light her cigarette.
(c) He offers to take her to the store.
(d) He offers to pour her a drink.
10. To whom does Plato compare Stesichoros in Appendix A: “Testimonia on the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen”?
11. What question does Geryon ask Herakles in "Sex Question"?
(a) "Is it true you think about sex every day?"
(b) "Did Helen of Troy really exist?"
(c) "Are roses being burned alive?"
(d) "Who is your father?"
12. What is compared to "the sleep of the just" in "Each"?
(c) The ocean.
13. Geryon's autobiography includes references to whose deaths in “Ideas”?
(a) Geryon's and his dog's deaths.
(b) The death of Herakles.
(c) His parents' deaths.
(d) The death of Herakles' grandmother.
14. What does Geryon's mother urge him to do in “Screendoor”?
(a) To read the newspaper.
(b) To go to school.
(c) To do his homework.
(d) To have a glass of milk.
15. What does Geryon name the lone survivor of the disaster in Herakles' hometown in "Hades"?
(a) "Lava Man."
(c) "Zeus II."
(d) "The yellowbeard."
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening of ”Pair” describes Geryon feeling a pain not felt since when?
2. Where is the main door of the school described in "Justice"?
3. What does Geryon's teacher ask his mother at the parent-teacher conference in “Ideas”?
4. What word from “Geryon's Parents" refers to a Lilin-demon in male form who lies upon women in order to engage in sexual activity with them?
5. What is the cup made from that the centaur offers Geryon in "Geryon's Weekend"?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)