|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herakles say "cooked" his hometown in "Hades"?
(a) A war between the gods.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A forest fire.
(d) A bombing raid.
2. Who abducted Helen, according to mythology?
3. What does Geryon touch inside his coat pocket outside the school in "Justice"?
(a) A piece of ribbon.
(b) A dollar bill.
(c) A lucky penny.
(d) A scarab.
4. What does the waitress ask when she brings the food in ”Grooming"?
(a) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are brothers.
(b) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are old enough to drink.
(c) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are on a school trip.
(d) She asks if Geryon and Herakles are newlyweds.
5. In Appendix B: "The Palinode of Stesichoros by Stesichoros (Fragment 192 Poetae Melici Graeci)," the narrator says, "No you never came to" what location?
(a) "The towers of Troy."
(b) "The River Nile."
(c) "The kingdom of the Greeks."
(d) "Hear me speak."
6. In the poem that opens “Autobiography of Red: A Romance,” what is said to keep "His never slumbering plan"?
(a) "The ashes of the forgotten."
(b) "His cold hands."
(c) "The winds of the coming storm."
(d) "The reticent volcano."
7. The subject in the opening line of “Lava” imagines being what alone in the dark?
(a) A lion.
(b) A woman.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A dragon.
8. What is compared to "the sleep of the just" in "Each"?
(c) The ocean.
9. With whom is Herakles sitting on the lawn when Geryon finds him in “Somnambula”?
(b) Geryon’s father.
(c) Herakles' grandmother.
10. What kind of sports practice do Geryon's brother and father attend in "Tuesday"?
11. What word refers to a poem in which the poet retracts a view or sentiment expressed in a former poem?
12. Who said of Stesichoros, "What a sweet genius in the use of adjectives"?
(d) Gertrude Stein.
13. What is the word "adjective" translated to in Greek?
14. What does Geryon recall his dog doing in “Walls”?
(a) Running away from home.
(b) Biting a mailman.
(c) Getting hit by a car.
(d) Eating his ice cream cone.
15. What color are the butterflies that Geryon points out in “Somnambula”?
(a) Red and blue.
(b) Red and black.
(c) Yellow and orange.
(d) Green and yellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cited with claiming that Helen made an object lesson of the poet Stesichoros in Appendix A: “Testimonia on the Question of Stesichoros’ Blinding by Helen”?
2. Whose quote opens “Red Meat: What Difference did Stesichoros Make?”
3. In "Grooming," the opening sentence describes living childhood close to what?
4. The opening line of “She” describes the house being dark except for a single light where?
5. What is the sound of horses compared to in “Geryon’s War Record”?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)