|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giri Bala want to prove?
2. Babaji have no need for __________.
3. With what has Nalini fallen ill?
4. Who has Pranbananda joined in the Himalayas?
5. Who describes the meeting in his/her journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Giri Bala?
2. Describe Yogananda's return to India,
3. Who is Babaji?
4. What does Dick Wright experience while in India?
5. What does Mukunda's new name Yogananda mean?
6. What has happened to Yukeswar in Chapter 42?
7. Why does Yogananda use Christianity to support his beliefs?
8. What are Yogananda's feeling on God in Chapter 49?
9. Why does Yogananda use other people's experiences as well as his own?
10. Why does Mukunda want to become a monk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Yogananda use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Yogananda talks about things that are specific to Indian culture such as the caste system and sanskrit. Choose one of these cultural references and discuss its relevance to Indian culture in terms of the following.
Essay Topic 3
What does self realization mean? Is it purely a Hindu concept? In what way has Mukunda developed through self realization? Is self realization a natural process or one that has to be learned?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)