|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giri Bala wants to live by __________.
2. What is the name of Mukunda's favorite student?
3. Dick Wright describe India as having the racial aura of _________.
4. Ananadaoyi Ma the essence of __________.
5. What does Giri Bala say she was as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the benefit of Kriya Yoga?
2. Why does Mukunda want to become a monk?
3. Why does Bala not eat food?
4. What has happened to Yukeswar in Chapter 42?
5. What are Yogananda's feeling on God in Chapter 49?
6. What does Mukunda's new name Yogananda mean?
7. Describe Yogananda's return to India,
8. How does Mukunda pass his exams in Chapter 23?
9. How does Mukenda help his sister Nalini?
10. Summarize Yogananda's thoughts in the final chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement: "Yogananda's promotion of his religion disguises the long running problems with their society that continue today." Find at least two examples in the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Yogananda's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Yogananda's style give to the story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)