|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initiated Mukunda's parents into Yoga?
2. What is the name of Mukunda's servant?
3. Where does Mukunda take a trip at 12-years-old?
4. What does an old friend tell Mukunda on the street?
5. Who had the two strangers planned to escort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at he film screening in Chapter 9?
2. How does Mukunda pass his Sankrit class?
3. What does the wandering sage teach Mukunda?
4. How does Mukunda's family react to his return?
5. How does Mukunda's father respond to his disappearance?
6. What does Mukunda experience when Yukteswar strikes him on the chest in Chapter 14?
7. Describe Mukunda's visit to Banaras.
8. What realization does Mukunda come to in Chapter 13?
9. In what way is Mukunda's character changing in Chapter 11?
10. How does Mukunda's uncle react to Mukunda's request to borrow his servant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Yogananda show the positive changes in his character as he grew up and learned more about his religion? Is this a natural growth or solely a benefit of his religion?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Yogananda's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Yogananda's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What major events had a profound affect on Mukunda's beliefs and how did they change him? What does Mukunda still have to learn by the end of the book?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)