|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mukunda want to see with Jitendra?
2. Who directs the peasant to the cauliflowers?
3. Where does Mukunda take a trip at 12-years-old?
4. What did Mukunda will to come to him as a child?
5. What does an old friend tell Mukunda on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discoveries does Mukunda claim Yukeswar made?
2. Describe Mukunda's visit to Kashmir.
3. How does Mukunda react to having to leave his home?
4. What does Mukunda experience when Yukteswar strikes him on the chest in Chapter 14?
5. How does Mukunda pass his Sankrit class?
6. What is Bhaduri's gift?
7. What advice does Bhaduri offer Mukunda in this chapter?
8. Describe the three stories Yukteswar tells in Chapter 11
9. How does Mukunda's family react to his return?
10. What happens at he film screening in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does self realization mean? Is it purely a Hindu concept? In what way has Mukunda developed through self realization? Is self realization a natural process or one that has to be learned?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement: "Yogananda's promotion of his religion disguises the long running problems with their society that continue today." Find at least two examples in the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the first part of the 20th century? How does Yogananda express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the book's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)