|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the peasant steal?
2. What do Nantu and Mukunda forget to study?
3. What is the name of Mukunda's uncle's servant?
4. What should Mukunda love more than meditation?
5. What do the papers on the ground contain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mukunda experience when Yukteswar strikes him on the chest in Chapter 14?
2. What does Mukunda question about the Perfume Saint?
3. What is bi-location?
4. Describe Mukunda's visit to Kashmir.
5. In what way does Mukunda compare his master to a human radio in Chapter 15?
6. How does Mukunda pass his final exams?
7. What is the only way the Dr. Roy can further his life?
8. In what way is Mukunda's character changing in Chapter 11?
9. How does Gopal rid Mukunda ofhis obsession for the Himalayas?
10. How does Mukunda's father respond to his disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does self realization mean? Is it purely a Hindu concept? In what way has Mukunda developed through self realization? Is self realization a natural process or one that has to be learned?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Yogananda use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can novelists express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)