|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens one day when a beggar asks for money?
2. What does Lucy begin carrying around?
3. What does Lucy come to wonder?
4. How is the bone unlike the skin grafts?
5. What does Lucy wonder about those without her deformity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when Lucy meets Jude?
2. How does Lucy deal with the teasing and staring?
3. How does Lucy begin to feel about her father? How does it affect her behavior towards him?
4. How does Lucy's self-esteem sink to an all-time low?
5. How does Lucy protect herself, regarding her disfigured face?
6. What does Lucy say about her father's time in the hospital and his eventual death?
7. What happens when Lucy wakes from her surgery at St. Vincent?
8. What takes place when Lucy goes to New York Medical Center?
9. Who does Lucy hope to meet at Sarah Lawrence?
10. What does Lucy say about her friend, Teresa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy has severe jaw pain after colliding with another girl during dodge ball.
Part 1) What is the cause of this jaw pain? Would it have occurred if she had not collided with the other girl? Explain.
Part 2) How does this incident begin the plot of the story? How does Lucy change because of this incident?
Part 3) Is it good she collided with this girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Lucy looks into a window "to see if I could, now, recognize myself."
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) How does she come to say this?
Part 3) What is the purpose of ending the book this way? What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy analyzes the relationship between the visitor and the patient.
Part 1) How does she come to analyze this relationship?
Part 2) To what conclusion does she come? Why?
Part 3) How does this conclusion affect the visits she receives from her parents? How does it also help her deal with her parents?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)