|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the call comes saying that her father had died, how does the family feel?
2. As Lucy observes the actions of the other teenage girls working at the stables, to what conclusion does she come?
3. How long would the process take to complete?
4. What do they use to form a jaw bone?
5. How is the bone unlike the skin grafts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucy say about her father's time in the hospital and his eventual death?
2. How has the cancer and chemo affected Lucy's social life and education?
3. How does Lucy begin to feel about her father? How does it affect her behavior towards him?
4. How does Lucy acquire Sure Swinger? What happens to Sure Swinger?
5. How does Lucy protect herself, regarding her disfigured face?
6. What do Lucy and Jan have in common?
7. What happens when Lucy wakes from her surgery at St. Vincent?
8. What takes place when Lucy meets Jude?
9. What changes take place in Lucy's life?
10. How does Lucy's self-esteem sink to an all-time low?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy analyzes the relationship between the visitor and the patient.
Part 1) How does she come to analyze this relationship?
Part 2) To what conclusion does she come? Why?
Part 3) How does this conclusion affect the visits she receives from her parents? How does it also help her deal with her parents?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy becomes adept at hiding her face with her hair.
Part 1) Why does she seem to feel this is necessary?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Lucy? What does this reveal about the children from whom she hides?
Part 3) How do the children reflect the behavior of adults, regarding Lucy? How does the behavior of others affect Lucy? Why is she affected this way?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy has severe jaw pain after colliding with another girl during dodge ball.
Part 1) What is the cause of this jaw pain? Would it have occurred if she had not collided with the other girl? Explain.
Part 2) How does this incident begin the plot of the story? How does Lucy change because of this incident?
Part 3) Is it good she collided with this girl? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)