|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Lucy ask her mother about Teresa's comment?
2. What does Lucy wonder about those without her deformity?
3. When Lucy arrives home what does her mother have for her?
4. What does Dr. Baker do when the time comes for her next surgery?
5. What does Lucy admit about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lucy starts junior high?
2. How does Lucy acquire Sure Swinger? What happens to Sure Swinger?
3. How does Lucy feel about herself at this point?
4. How is Lucy's start at Sarah Lawrence?
5. What do Lucy and Jan have in common?
6. How has the cancer and chemo affected Lucy's social life and education?
7. What method of reconstructive surgery does Dr. Conley suggest?
8. What does note about Michael?
9. What takes place during her next surgery?
10. How does Lucy protect herself, regarding her disfigured face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy graduates from Sarah Lawrence.
Part 1) Describe her experience at Sarah Lawrence. How do her experiences differ from what she hoped she would find at Sarah Lawrence?
Part 2) How do her years at Sarah Lawrence end? Happily? With regret? Why? What is the next step she takes after college? Why does she choose this?
Part 3) How does this next step lead her to Jude and a change in the way she sees herself?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Lucy looks into a window "to see if I could, now, recognize myself."
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) How does she come to say this?
Part 3) What is the purpose of ending the book this way? What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy's parents leave her alone during her first bone marrow test.
Part 1) Why do they leave her alone? How is she affected by this?
Part 2) What does their behavior foreshadow?
Part 3) Do Lucy's parents love her? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)