|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucy meet in the hospital?
2. How will Lucy feel about hospitals for the rest of her life?
3. Why does she scratch herself with a rusty nail?
4. What does Lucy's mother insist that she be?
5. The insurance that will not pay for some things does pay for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lucy's hair begins to fall out?
2. When does she miss a chemo treatment? How does she feel about this?
3. How does Lucy feel about moving into another ward?
4. How does Lucy compare her family to other families?
5. What happens after six months?
6. What do Lucy and her mother do for the next two years?
7. Why is Lucy relieved when her father's new job begins?
8. What does Lucy do after her second week of chemo?
9. What takes place the morning after the pain begins?
10. How does Lucy feel about her weeks and the days in between her chemo treatments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy graduates from Sarah Lawrence.
Part 1) Describe her experience at Sarah Lawrence. How do her experiences differ from what she hoped she would find at Sarah Lawrence?
Part 2) How do her years at Sarah Lawrence end? Happily? With regret? Why? What is the next step she takes after college? Why does she choose this?
Part 3) How does this next step lead her to Jude and a change in the way she sees herself?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy has severe jaw pain after colliding with another girl during dodge ball.
Part 1) What is the cause of this jaw pain? Would it have occurred if she had not collided with the other girl? Explain.
Part 2) How does this incident begin the plot of the story? How does Lucy change because of this incident?
Part 3) Is it good she collided with this girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy loses her insurance a few times.
Part 1) Why does she lose her insurance? How does this affect her?
Part 2) What does this show about the United States health care system?
Part 3) What could be done to improve this system? How can these changes benefit those who are in situations such as Lucy's?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)