|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When her mother is asked about the wigs that Lucy does not want to wear, how does she respond?
2. Why might Lucy like working with horses?
3. What do the letters and cards say that Lucy begins receiving from people?
4. How does Lucy learn that she will skip her chemo treatment if she is sick?
5. Why do most people not want to ask Lucy about her deformity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy compare her family to other families?
2. How does Lucy feel about her first experience in the hospital?
3. How does Lucy feel about moving into another ward?
4. Who does Lucy meet in the hospital?
5. What does Lucy begin to notice on her mouth? How else is she affected by the chemo?
6. What does Lucy do to try to skip her chemo treatments?
7. Describe Lucy.
8. What does Lucy do after her second week of chemo?
9. What takes place during Lucy's chemo treatments?
10. How does Lucy appear when her parents come for her birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy becomes adept at hiding her face with her hair.
Part 1) Why does she seem to feel this is necessary?
Part 2) What does this reveal about Lucy? What does this reveal about the children from whom she hides?
Part 3) How do the children reflect the behavior of adults, regarding Lucy? How does the behavior of others affect Lucy? Why is she affected this way?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy graduates from Sarah Lawrence.
Part 1) Describe her experience at Sarah Lawrence. How do her experiences differ from what she hoped she would find at Sarah Lawrence?
Part 2) How do her years at Sarah Lawrence end? Happily? With regret? Why? What is the next step she takes after college? Why does she choose this?
Part 3) How does this next step lead her to Jude and a change in the way she sees herself?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy receives words of encouragement from people through letters and cards.
Part 1) What do these cards and letters say? Why do these people send these to her?
Part 2) How is she affected by these cards and letters? Why is she affected this way?
Part 3) What does this say about the importance of faith?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)