|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucy feel about people not asking about her deformity?
2. Why do most people not want to ask Lucy about her deformity?
3. What has Lucy experienced by the time she begins to work there?
4. How does Lucy's mother soothe her?
5. The insurance that will not pay for some things does pay for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy feel after three operations?
2. How does Lucy compare her family to other families?
3. What happens when Lucy's father loses his job?
4. What does Lucy do to try to skip her chemo treatments?
5. What takes place the morning after the pain begins?
6. Describe Lucy's "kingdom."
7. What does Lucy do when she gets home after her first chemo treatment?
8. What does Lucy begin to notice on her mouth? How else is she affected by the chemo?
9. How do others treat Lucy's facial deformity?
10. How does Lucy feel about moving into another ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy analyzes the relationship between the visitor and the patient.
Part 1) How does she come to analyze this relationship?
Part 2) To what conclusion does she come? Why?
Part 3) How does this conclusion affect the visits she receives from her parents? How does it also help her deal with her parents?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy's hair begins to fall out.
Part 1) How does she react to this? How does her mother feel about her reaction?
Part 2) What do Lucy's mother and her mother's friends do for her? What does this reveal about them?
Part 3) Is Lucy's mother's behavior purely for Lucy's sake? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Lucy looks into a window "to see if I could, now, recognize myself."
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) How does she come to say this?
Part 3) What is the purpose of ending the book this way? What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)