|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lucy not accustomed to seeing her parents?
2. What does Lucy create near the garage in what she calls "a small island of grass between the sea of driveway asphalt and the front walk of cement?"
3. Why does Lucy do this?
4. How does Lucy's test go?
5. Who is Lucy's twin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy feel about her first experience in the hospital?
2. How does Lucy feel about her weeks and the days in between her chemo treatments?
3. How does Lucy appear when her parents come for her birthday?
4. What does Lucy do when she gets home after her first chemo treatment?
5. What happens when Lucy's father loses his job?
6. How does Lucy feel after three operations?
7. What do Lucy and her mother do for the next two years?
8. How do others treat Lucy's facial deformity?
9. Who does Lucy meet in the hospital?
10. How does Lucy first feels signs of her cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nurse Lucy likes best is Mary.
Part 1) Describe Mary. Why does Lucy like her the best?
Part 2) Why does the rest of the hospital staff not act the way Mary does?
Part 3) How might Lucy's experience with cancer and the many surgeries afterward have been different if others had been more like Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy receives words of encouragement from people through letters and cards.
Part 1) What do these cards and letters say? Why do these people send these to her?
Part 2) How is she affected by these cards and letters? Why is she affected this way?
Part 3) What does this say about the importance of faith?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy relishes her first hospital experience.
Part 1) Why does she enjoy this visit? How does it compare to subsequent visits?
Part 2) How does this first visit foreshadow the next several years of her life?
Part 3) What does this visit reveal about doctors and the medical profession?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)