|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy's mother insist that she be?
2. Why does Lucy do this?
3. What does Lucy do when she recognizes her father's gait down the hall?
4. What do the letters and cards say that Lucy begins receiving from people?
5. How does Lucy learn, as a teenager, that there's a five percent survival rate for victims of Ewing's sarcoma, the disease Lucy battled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy feel on Fridays?
2. What is surprising about Lucy's parents' behavior when she has her bone marrow test?
3. Who is Lucy's favorite nurse? Why?
4. How does Lucy feel about her first experience in the hospital?
5. How do others treat Lucy's facial deformity?
6. What do Lucy and her mother do for the next two years?
7. How does Lucy compare her family to other families?
8. Describe Lucy's "kingdom."
9. How does Lucy feel about her weeks and the days in between her chemo treatments?
10. What does Lucy do after her second week of chemo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The boys at school torment Lucy relentlessly.
Part 1) Describe their behavior. Why do they act this way?
Part 2) How do they affect Lucy? Why is she affected this way?
Part 3) What could have been done to improve Lucy's experience at school and teach the boys empathy?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy receives words of encouragement from people through letters and cards.
Part 1) What do these cards and letters say? Why do these people send these to her?
Part 2) How is she affected by these cards and letters? Why is she affected this way?
Part 3) What does this say about the importance of faith?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy analyzes the relationship between the visitor and the patient.
Part 1) How does she come to analyze this relationship?
Part 2) To what conclusion does she come? Why?
Part 3) How does this conclusion affect the visits she receives from her parents? How does it also help her deal with her parents?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)