|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucy respond when she looks at herself in the mirror?
2. Why does Lucy love to listen to the stormy weather?
3. What happens during the ride home?
4. How does Lucy say that she got the job?
5. Into what ward is she moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy compare her family to other families?
2. Describe Lucy's "kingdom."
3. Describe Lucy.
4. When does she miss a chemo treatment? How does she feel about this?
5. What do Lucy and her mother do for the next two years?
6. How does Lucy feel about moving into another ward?
7. Describe Lucy's family's background.
8. What does Lucy do to try to skip her chemo treatments?
9. Why is Lucy relieved when her father's new job begins?
10. How does Lucy feel after her surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy creates a "kingdom" by her garage.
Part 1) What is this "kingdom?" Why does she make it?
Part 2) What does this reveal about her mindset at this point?
Part 3) What might others think about this behavior? Why might they feel this way? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Lucy has severe jaw pain after colliding with another girl during dodge ball.
Part 1) What is the cause of this jaw pain? Would it have occurred if she had not collided with the other girl? Explain.
Part 2) How does this incident begin the plot of the story? How does Lucy change because of this incident?
Part 3) Is it good she collided with this girl? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy relishes her first hospital experience.
Part 1) Why does she enjoy this visit? How does it compare to subsequent visits?
Part 2) How does this first visit foreshadow the next several years of her life?
Part 3) What does this visit reveal about doctors and the medical profession?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)