Prologue, Chapters 1 and 2, Luck and Petting Zoo
• Lucy's head collides with a classmate's during a game of dodgeball; Lucy is sent to the ground in a wave of pain in her jaw.
• The next morning, she can hardly open her mouth and is taken to the doctor, where she's told that it's probably fractured - the first of many incorrect diagnoses.
• The x-rays reveal it's not a broken jaw, but a cyst, and she's scheduled for surgery; about six months later, Lucy's face is "swollen and hot," disputing the doctor's insistence that a knot on her jaw is only a bony growth.
• Dr. Canton agrees that Lucy's situation is serious, that it's an infection and schedules emergency surgery.
• Lucy watches her parents as they are questioned about her infancy; Lucy says she knows that her family is "in some ways superior" to their neighbors though there are also...
This section contains 2,931 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)