|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
2. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
3. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
4. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
5. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
2. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
3. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
4. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
5. What did Yeats want to ask of Synge before his death, and why didn't he?
6. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
7. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
8. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
9. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
10. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main people in Yeats's life?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)