|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Davitt want to protect?
2. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
3. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
4. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
5. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
2. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
3. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
4. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
5. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
6. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
7. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
8. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
9. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
10. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four of these people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the others around them.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)