|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
2. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
3. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
4. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
5. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
2. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
3. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
4. How did the public treat Maud?
5. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
6. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
7. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
8. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
9. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
10. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Yeats endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)