|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
2. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
3. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
4. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
5. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
2. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
3. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
4. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
5. What did Yeats write about in his letters to Lady Gregory?
6. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
7. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
8. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
9. How did the public treat Maud?
10. Who was Michael Davitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main people in Yeats's life?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)