|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
2. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
3. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
4. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
5. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
2. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
3. What did Yeats want to ask of Synge before his death, and why didn't he?
4. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
5. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
6. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
7. What led Yeats to spend so much time with Lady Gregory?
8. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
9. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
10. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yeats and Synge are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two authors.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)