|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Davitt want to protect?
2. How was Maud treated by the public?
3. Who did Yeats think was not appreciated during his life?
4. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
5. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
2. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
3. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
4. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
5. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
6. Who was Michael Davitt?
7. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
8. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
9. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
10. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Yeats have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people included in the book?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)