|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
2. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
3. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
4. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
5. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
2. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
3. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
4. What led Yeats to spend so much time with Lady Gregory?
5. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
6. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
7. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
8. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
9. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
10. Who was Michael Davitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yeats endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Yeats have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)