|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
2. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
3. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
4. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
5. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
2. Who was Michael Davitt?
3. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
4. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
5. What did Yeats write about in his letters to Lady Gregory?
6. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
7. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
8. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
9. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
10. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Yeats and Synge are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two authors.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)