|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
2. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
3. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
4. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
5. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
2. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
3. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
4. What did Yeats want to ask of Synge before his death, and why didn't he?
5. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
6. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
7. How did the public treat Maud?
8. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
9. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
10. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)