|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
2. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
3. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
4. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
5. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
2. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
3. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
4. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
5. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
6. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
7. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
8. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
9. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
10. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the biography change the style of the narration?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Yeats have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)