|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
2. Why was Yeats hesitant to put Synge's last play on the stage?
3. How was Maud treated by the public?
4. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
5. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
2. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
3. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
4. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
5. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
6. What kind of speeches did Maud give when Yeats accompanied her?
7. Who was Michael Davitt?
8. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
9. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
10. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the biography change the style of the narration?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Yeats endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)