|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
2. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
3. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
4. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
5. What kind of guests did Lady Gregory like to have visit her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
2. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
3. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
4. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
5. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
6. How did the public treat Maud?
7. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
8. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
9. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
10. What led Yeats to spend so much time with Lady Gregory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the biography change the style of the narration?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)