|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
2. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
3. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
4. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
5. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
2. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
3. Who was Michael Davitt?
4. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
5. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
6. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
7. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
8. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
9. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
10. What kind of speeches did Maud give when Yeats accompanied her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main people were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of Yeats's life?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)