|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
2. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
3. What did Lady Gregory help Yeats become?
4. Who did Yeats think deserved his Nobel Prize more than himself?
5. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
2. How did the public treat Maud?
3. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
4. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
5. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
6. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
7. How did Yeats feel when he found out he was being considered for the Nobel Prize of Literature?
8. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
9. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
10. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Yeats have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)