|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Moore's occupation?
2. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
3. What was Maud's occupation?
4. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
5. What did Lady Gregory want Yeats to stop writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
2. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
3. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
4. Who was Michael Davitt?
5. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
6. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
7. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
8. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
9. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
10. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people included in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)