|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Yeats's medium call the spirits she got her information from?
2. What was O'Grady's first name?
3. What did the members of the Rhymer's Club do to support each other's work?
4. Why did Yeats's father move to England?
5. Where did Yeats meet MacGregor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Yeats feel when he started seeing a medium to help him discover his character?
2. What did Yeats think caused the poets he knew to be so tragic?
3. How did Yeats feel about the people who joined his poetry club?
4. How did Hyde and O'Grady help to promote Irish literature?
5. How did Yeats meet Dowden, and what did Dowden teach Yeats?
6. How did Yeats heal the boy with smallpox?
7. What was the story an old acquaintance told Yeats while he was in Paris?
8. How did Yeats view Bernard Shaw after getting to know him?
9. Who did Yeats get to be his sponsor, and what kind of man was he?
10. How did the theosophists feel about Mr. Russel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yeats and Synge are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two authors.
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people included in the book?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)