|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the poetry society Yeats formed with Rhys?
2. What was O'Grady's first name?
3. Who did Yeats live with when he started the National Literary Society?
4. What were Johnson's religious beliefs?
5. Who taught Yeats what he taught his sponsor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats think caused the poets he knew to be so tragic?
2. How did Yeats feel when he started seeing a medium to help him discover his character?
3. How did Hyde and O'Grady help to promote Irish literature?
4. What kind of work was considered for sponsorship in the National Literary Society?
5. What did Henley do to help Yeats find his identity?
6. How did Yeats feel about Oscar Wilde when he met the famous author?
7. Why did Wilde refuse to run away when he had the chance?
8. Who lived across the street from Yeats when his family moved to Bedfield Park?
9. How were Yeats's grandfathers different in their personalities?
10. What was MacGregor obsessed with when he lived in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main people in Yeats's life?
Essay Topic 3
Yeats endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)