|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the general's nephew ask to not be served during a visit?
2. Who did Yeats live with when he started the National Literary Society?
3. What did Yeats think of most of the people who joined his poetry society?
4. Why did the starving artist refuse the job that Yeats found for her?
5. What did Yeats think his writing was full of when he met MacGregor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the story an old acquaintance told Yeats while he was in Paris?
2. How did Yeats heal the boy with smallpox?
3. How were Yeats's grandfathers different in their personalities?
4. What was MacGregor obsessed with when he lived in Paris?
5. How was Yeats affected by his friendship with O'Leary?
6. Who lived across the street from Yeats when his family moved to Bedfield Park?
7. How did Yeats meet Dowden, and what did Dowden teach Yeats?
8. How did Yeats view Bernard Shaw after getting to know him?
9. Who did Yeats get to be his sponsor, and what kind of man was he?
10. What did Henley do to help Yeats find his identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yeats and Synge are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two authors.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people included in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)