|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Yeats say was perfect in his writing?
2. What did Yeats say got him interested in studying what he taught his sponsor?
3. What did the theosophists talk about?
4. What did Yeats think his writing was full of when he met MacGregor?
5. What did Yeats think of most of the people who joined his poetry society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats think of his first seance?
2. Who did Yeats get to be his sponsor, and what kind of man was he?
3. What helped Yeats find his own voice?
4. How did Yeats's opinion of Russel change when he saw him with the theosophists?
5. How did Hyde and O'Grady help to promote Irish literature?
6. What did Yeats think caused the poets he knew to be so tragic?
7. How did Yeats feel about Oscar Wilde when he met the famous author?
8. How did Mary Battle display her second sight before Yeats came to live at the house?
9. What did Shaw blame for the poor reception of his first play in England, and how was this received?
10. When did Yeats start his interest in spiritual things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people included in the book?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)