|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Henley deeply depressed?
2. Why did the starving artist refuse the job that Yeats found for her?
3. Who did Yeats stay with in Paris?
4. What strange thing did Johnson do when he met Yeats?
5. What did Yeats once predict about his grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Yeats feel when he started seeing a medium to help him discover his character?
2. What was the story an old acquaintance told Yeats while he was in Paris?
3. When did Yeats start his interest in spiritual things?
4. What happened when Yeats fell in love for the first time?
5. Who did Morris remind Yeats of, and what did Morris teach Yeats?
6. How did Yeats's opinion of Russel change when he saw him with the theosophists?
7. Who did Yeats get to be his sponsor, and what kind of man was he?
8. What did Yeats think caused the poets he knew to be so tragic?
9. How did Yeats feel about Oscar Wilde when he met the famous author?
10. How did Yeats heal the boy with smallpox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the biography change the style of the narration?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main people in Yeats's life?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)