|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a schoolmate teach Yeats to box?
2. Why did the starving artist refuse the job that Yeats found for her?
3. What was Taylor gifted at?
4. What subject was the Rhymer's club fixated on?
5. Who did Yeats's medium call the spirits she got her information from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Yeats's grandfathers different in their personalities?
2. What did Yeats think of his first seance?
3. How did Yeats's opinion of Russel change when he saw him with the theosophists?
4. When did Yeats start his interest in spiritual things?
5. What special gift did Russel have that he used to help other people?
6. How did Mary Battle display her second sight before Yeats came to live at the house?
7. What kind of work was considered for sponsorship in the National Literary Society?
8. What did Shaw blame for the poor reception of his first play in England, and how was this received?
9. How did Yeats heal the boy with smallpox?
10. What did Yeats realize while watching his daughter when he was an older man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this plot affect the main people in Yeats's life?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)