|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Yeats's grandfather's occupation?
2. Why did Dowson say he drank so much?
3. How did Yeats feel as he learned more about his spiritual psyche?
4. What did Yeats's mother think people in London indulged too much in?
5. What was the only thing Yeats's grandmother ever punished him for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats realize while watching his daughter when he was an older man?
2. What was MacGregor obsessed with when he lived in Paris?
3. How did Yeats meet Dowden, and what did Dowden teach Yeats?
4. How did Yeats heal the boy with smallpox?
5. How did Yeats view Bernard Shaw after getting to know him?
6. How did Mary Battle display her second sight before Yeats came to live at the house?
7. Why did Yeats dream of building a theater?
8. How did Yeats's opinion of Russel change when he saw him with the theosophists?
9. What helped Yeats find his own voice?
10. What did Yeats think caused the poets he knew to be so tragic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Yeats endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)