|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the members of the Rhymer's Club do to support each other's work?
2. Which lessons did Yeats's father think were the most important for his son to learn?
3. What helped Yeats break free from imitating his father's style?
4. What happened to make Yeats interested in religion?
5. Where did Yeats like to sleep at night while in Dublin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Yeats view Bernard Shaw after getting to know him?
2. How did Yeats feel about the people who joined his poetry club?
3. What special gift did Russel have that he used to help other people?
4. When did Yeats start his interest in spiritual things?
5. How did Yeats meet Dowden, and what did Dowden teach Yeats?
6. Who did Morris remind Yeats of, and what did Morris teach Yeats?
7. How was Yeats affected by his friendship with O'Leary?
8. How did Yeats's opinion of Russel change when he saw him with the theosophists?
9. What happened when Yeats fell in love for the first time?
10. How did Hyde and O'Grady help to promote Irish literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the people involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)