|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(a) The subject.
(c) The past.
(d) The artist.
2. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
3. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Leather chair.
(c) Pen set.
4. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
(a) A ship.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A burning flag.
(d) A tree.
5. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Court his daughter.
(b) Help with his poetry.
(c) Read his journal.
(d) Finish his play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
2. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
3. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
4. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
5. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
2. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
3. What did Yeats say was the main difference between religion and spirituality?
4. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
5. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
6. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
7. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
8. What did the Nobel winners do after receiving their awards, and why?
9. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
10. What did Yeats do to make the Gaelic play a success, and how was this plan almost ruined?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)