|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
(a) Get sick.
(c) Go to prison.
(d) Write volumes and volumes.
2. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His feelings about literature.
(c) English History.
(d) Irish Theater.
3. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
4. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(c) Herr Man.
5. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A new house.
(b) A theater.
(c) A publishing firm.
(d) A literary society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
2. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
3. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
4. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
5. What did Yeats say made Moore's writing improve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
2. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
3. What was Yeats told while in a trance?
4. What did Yeats want to ask of Synge before his death, and why didn't he?
5. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
6. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
7. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
8. How did Yeats feel about literature education?
9. What led Yeats to spend so much time with Lady Gregory?
10. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)