|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A man beats a woman.
(b) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(c) An Irish man wants to be English.
(d) A Catholic priest is the villain.
2. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
3. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their struggle.
(b) Their motives.
(c) Their process.
(d) Their genius.
4. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Observe different kinds of people.
(b) Write for more than one group of people.
(c) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(d) Live with different kinds of people.
5. How was Maud treated by the public?
(a) They ignored her.
(b) They were rude to her.
(c) Like a celebrity.
(d) Like a felon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
2. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
3. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
4. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
5. What country did Davitt want to protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Yeats want to ask of Synge before his death, and why didn't he?
2. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
3. What kind of speeches did Maud give when Yeats accompanied her?
4. What was Synge's last play, and how was it received?
5. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
6. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
7. Who was Michael Davitt?
8. What did Moore do that irritated Yeats most of all?
9. What was Yeats happy about when Synge's last play was performed?
10. What did Yeats say was ruining the Ireland he loved?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)