|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Court his daughter.
(b) Finish his play.
(c) Help with his poetry.
(d) Read his journal.
2. Why was Yeats hesitant to put Synge's last play on the stage?
(a) It was not finished.
(b) He was dealing with his grief.
(c) He was intimidated by its depth.
(d) It was personal to him.
3. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
(a) Presenting a controversial work of art.
(b) Confronting a corrupt government official.
(c) Going on a speaking tour.
(d) Performing in a controversial play.
4. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
(a) Their plot line was so intricate.
(b) They wrote all day long.
(c) They were open to critiques.
(d) They were fast and professional.
5. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The other writer was a felon.
(b) The other writer had wronged Synge.
(c) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(d) The writer was not as good as Synge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
2. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
3. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
4. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
5. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
2. What two things was Yeats adamant about remaining separate from each other?
3. What happened when Yeats got to Stockholm, and how did he feel about this?
4. Who was Michael Davitt?
5. What was Yeats thinking about while he was being presented to the Royal Family?
6. How did the public treat Maud?
7. What kind of speeches did Maud give when Yeats accompanied her?
8. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
9. What did Yeats write about in his letters to Lady Gregory?
10. What was so controversial about Countess Cathleen?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)