|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
(a) Folly and Foils.
(b) Clash of character.
(c) Inarticulated desires.
(d) Satirical truths.
2. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Observe different kinds of people.
(b) Write for more than one group of people.
(c) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(d) Live with different kinds of people.
3. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
4. What did Synge accept just before he died?
(a) His lack of success.
(b) His impending death.
(c) His estrangement from society.
(d) His belief in God.
5. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The National Convention Center.
(b) The docks.
(c) The Royal Palace.
(d) A fancy hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
2. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
3. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
4. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
5. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the public treat Maud?
2. What was Yeats usually feeling when he wrote in his diaries?
3. Who was hired to write a Gaelic play for the theater, and how did Yeats view this writer?
4. What led Yeats to spend so much time with Lady Gregory?
5. What did Lady Gregory do for Yeats?
6. What did Yeats write about in his letters to Lady Gregory?
7. How did Synge feel about his impending death, and how was this viewed by his friends?
8. Who was Michael Davitt?
9. What did Yeats say the duty of the writer was?
10. How did Moore act when the theater ran into financial problems?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)