|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(b) Passengers on the boat.
(d) New from friends.
2. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(c) Lady Gregory.
3. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They skipped over important details.
(b) They needed a map to read good literature.
(c) They misinterpreted literature.
(d) They did not appreciate symbolism.
4. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) Her husband died.
(b) She lost part of her fortune.
(c) Her son was killed.
(d) Her inheritance was taken away.
5. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His plays.
(b) His diary.
(c) His poems.
(d) His letters.
6. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
7. How was Maud treated by the public?
(a) Like a felon.
(b) They were rude to her.
(c) Like a celebrity.
(d) They ignored her.
8. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
9. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Made personal visits.
(b) Signed petitions.
(c) Held rallies.
(d) Wrote letters.
10. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
11. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(a) Material things.
(d) Their jobs.
12. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) Big cities.
(b) The woods.
(c) The ocean.
13. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) Synge's death.
(b) The fall of the English government.
(c) Yeats's wedding.
(d) War planes over head.
14. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
(a) A novel.
(b) A poem.
(c) A play.
(d) A short story.
15. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
2. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
3. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
4. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
5. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)