|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
2. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(b) Their jobs.
(c) Material things.
3. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
(a) Their plot line was so intricate.
(b) They were open to critiques.
(c) They were fast and professional.
(d) They wrote all day long.
4. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
(a) It was on the road to perfection.
(b) It sounded like a stranger's voice.
(c) It was too ornamental.
(d) It was very original.
5. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The Globe Theater.
(b) The English National Theater.
(c) The Abby Theater.
(d) The Longhorn International Theater.
6. What did Moore want to become involved in?
7. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Hire a famous actress.
(b) Post advertisements.
(c) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
(d) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
8. What was Synge's final play?
(a) Delilah of the Street.
(b) Darlene of the Secrets.
(c) Deborah of the Sun.
(d) Deidre of the Sorrows.
9. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A man beats a woman.
(b) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(c) An Irish man wants to be English.
(d) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
10. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
(a) The sun.
(b) The stars.
(c) The moon.
(d) The ocean.
11. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
(a) Hidden thoughts.
12. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(c) Herr Man.
13. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
14. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A publishing firm.
(b) A theater.
(c) A literary society.
(d) A new house.
15. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His plays.
(b) His diary.
(c) His letters.
(d) His poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
2. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
3. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
4. What kind of guests did Lady Gregory like to have visit her house?
5. How was Maud treated by the public?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)