|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
(a) Food and other trade goods.
(d) High charges.
2. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
(c) Hidden thoughts.
3. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
4. What was Moore's occupation?
(c) Theater owner.
5. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) She lost part of her fortune.
(b) Her husband died.
(c) Her son was killed.
(d) Her inheritance was taken away.
6. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
7. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A weakness.
(b) A prayer answered.
(c) A necessity.
(d) A sign of strength.
8. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The Globe Theater.
(b) The Longhorn International Theater.
(c) The Abby Theater.
(d) The English National Theater.
9. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
10. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Hire a famous actress.
(b) Post advertisements.
(c) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
(d) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
11. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The other writer was a felon.
(b) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(c) The writer was not as good as Synge.
(d) The other writer had wronged Synge.
12. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(a) New from friends.
(d) Passengers on the boat.
13. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(b) Material things.
(d) Their jobs.
14. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
15. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
(a) A war with words.
(b) A young person in love.
(c) A religion.
(d) A country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
2. What did Lady Gregory want Yeats to stop writing?
3. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
4. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
5. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)