|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(c) Material things.
(d) Their jobs.
2. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A ship.
(b) A tree.
(c) A burning flag.
(d) A beautiful woman.
3. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
4. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(a) Herr Man.
5. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A man beats a woman.
(b) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(c) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
6. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
7. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
(a) High charges.
(d) Food and other trade goods.
8. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
(a) A country.
(b) A religion.
(c) A young person in love.
(d) A war with words.
9. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
(a) Folly and Foils.
(b) Satirical truths.
(c) Inarticulated desires.
(d) Clash of character.
10. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(b) The writer was not as good as Synge.
(c) The other writer was a felon.
(d) The other writer had wronged Synge.
11. What did Lady Gregory help Yeats become?
12. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) Big cities.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The woods.
13. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(b) The subject.
(c) The artist.
(d) The past.
14. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
15. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) Yeats's wedding.
(b) Synge's death.
(c) The fall of the English government.
(d) War planes over head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Moore's occupation?
2. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
3. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
4. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
5. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)