|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Maud treated by the public?
(a) They ignored her.
(b) Like a felon.
(c) They were rude to her.
(d) Like a celebrity.
2. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) The ocean.
(c) The woods.
(d) Big cities.
3. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His letters.
(b) His poems.
(c) His plays.
(d) His diary.
4. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
(a) Folly and Foils.
(b) Clash of character.
(c) Satirical truths.
(d) Inarticulated desires.
5. What was Moore's occupation?
(c) Theater owner.
6. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Help with his poetry.
(b) Read his journal.
(c) Court his daughter.
(d) Finish his play.
7. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
(a) Spread rumors about Lady Gregory.
(b) Imitated his writing style.
(c) Took the credit for their collaborative work.
(d) Had sordid love afffairs.
8. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
9. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) She lost part of her fortune.
(b) Her inheritance was taken away.
(c) Her husband died.
(d) Her son was killed.
10. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
11. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
(a) A poem.
(b) A play.
(c) A short story.
(d) A novel.
12. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They skipped over important details.
(b) They misinterpreted literature.
(c) They did not appreciate symbolism.
(d) They needed a map to read good literature.
13. What season did Yeats like to spend with Lady Gregory?
14. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
15. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
(a) To return to his homeland.
(b) To move to America.
(c) To travel abroad.
(d) To live by water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
2. What did Moore want to become involved in?
3. What was Synge's final play?
4. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
5. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)