|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A burning flag.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A ship.
(d) A tree.
2. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
3. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their process.
(b) Their motives.
(c) Their genius.
(d) Their struggle.
4. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He saw the man who lost the award.
(b) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(c) He saw a poster of himself.
(d) He was recognized.
5. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Leather chair.
(c) Pen set.
6. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(b) Passengers on the boat.
(c) New from friends.
7. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They misinterpreted literature.
(b) They needed a map to read good literature.
(c) They skipped over important details.
(d) They did not appreciate symbolism.
8. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
9. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Live with different kinds of people.
(b) Observe different kinds of people.
(c) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(d) Write for more than one group of people.
10. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
(a) Food and other trade goods.
(b) High charges.
11. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
(a) A novel.
(b) A poem.
(c) A play.
(d) A short story.
12. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Held rallies.
(b) Wrote letters.
(c) Made personal visits.
(d) Signed petitions.
13. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
14. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
(c) International matters.
15. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(b) Herr Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
2. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
3. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
4. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
5. What was Moore's occupation?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)