|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Davitt want to protect?
2. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
3. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
(a) Making a good impression.
(b) Offending the royals.
(c) Returning home.
(d) Being laughed at.
4. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
5. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
(a) Write volumes and volumes.
(b) Get sick.
(c) Go to prison.
6. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A new house.
(b) A theater.
(c) A publishing firm.
(d) A literary society.
7. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
(a) He knew he would be denied.
(b) He did not want to reveal the thoughts of death.
(c) He did not want to hurt his feelings.
(d) He did not want to make him worry needlessly.
8. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
9. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The other writer was a felon.
(b) The other writer had wronged Synge.
(c) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(d) The writer was not as good as Synge.
10. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The stars.
(c) The moon.
(d) The sun.
11. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
12. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He was recognized.
(b) He saw the man who lost the award.
(c) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(d) He saw a poster of himself.
13. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They skipped over important details.
(b) They misinterpreted literature.
(c) They needed a map to read good literature.
(d) They did not appreciate symbolism.
14. What was Synge's final play?
(a) Deborah of the Sun.
(b) Deidre of the Sorrows.
(c) Darlene of the Secrets.
(d) Delilah of the Street.
15. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The Abby Theater.
(b) The Globe Theater.
(c) The English National Theater.
(d) The Longhorn International Theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
2. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
3. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
4. What did Moore want to become involved in?
5. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)