|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A necessity.
(b) A prayer answered.
(c) A sign of strength.
(d) A weakness.
2. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
3. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) Her inheritance was taken away.
(b) She lost part of her fortune.
(c) Her son was killed.
(d) Her husband died.
4. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
5. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
(a) It was on the road to perfection.
(b) It was too ornamental.
(c) It was very original.
(d) It sounded like a stranger's voice.
6. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
7. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
(a) Irish Theater.
(b) English History.
(c) His feelings about literature.
(d) His childhood.
8. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
9. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The Royal Palace.
(b) A fancy hotel.
(c) The National Convention Center.
(d) The docks.
10. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Made personal visits.
(b) Signed petitions.
(c) Wrote letters.
(d) Held rallies.
11. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) War planes over head.
(b) Yeats's wedding.
(c) Synge's death.
(d) The fall of the English government.
12. What was referenced many times in Synge's last play?
13. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
14. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A literary society.
(b) A publishing firm.
(c) A new house.
(d) A theater.
15. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(a) Passengers on the boat.
(c) New from friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
2. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
3. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
4. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
5. What was Maud's occupation?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)