|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(b) The ocean.
(c) The woods.
(d) Big cities.
2. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(a) Material things.
(b) Their jobs.
3. Who did Yeats think deserved his Nobel Prize more than himself?
4. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
(a) It was too ornamental.
(b) It sounded like a stranger's voice.
(c) It was on the road to perfection.
(d) It was very original.
5. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
6. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
(a) To live by water.
(b) To travel abroad.
(c) To move to America.
(d) To return to his homeland.
7. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
(a) Religious Doctrine.
(c) Personal Belief.
(d) Internal thoughts.
8. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The Royal Palace.
(b) The National Convention Center.
(c) The docks.
(d) A fancy hotel.
9. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He was recognized.
(b) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(c) He saw a poster of himself.
(d) He saw the man who lost the award.
10. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A prayer answered.
(b) A weakness.
(c) A necessity.
(d) A sign of strength.
11. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) Synge's death.
(b) War planes over head.
(c) The fall of the English government.
(d) Yeats's wedding.
12. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(b) A man beats a woman.
(c) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
13. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(d) Lady Gregory.
14. How was Maud treated by the public?
(a) They ignored her.
(b) Like a felon.
(c) They were rude to her.
(d) Like a celebrity.
15. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
2. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
3. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
4. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
5. What two things did Yeats say were separate entities?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)