|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
2. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The English National Theater.
(b) The Longhorn International Theater.
(c) The Abby Theater.
(d) The Globe Theater.
3. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(b) Write for more than one group of people.
(c) Observe different kinds of people.
(d) Live with different kinds of people.
4. Who did Yeats think was not appreciated during his life?
5. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(b) Encouraging letters.
(c) Leather chair.
(d) Pen set.
6. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
(b) Write volumes and volumes.
(c) Go to prison.
(d) Get sick.
7. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Made personal visits.
(b) Held rallies.
(c) Signed petitions.
(d) Wrote letters.
8. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(d) Lady Gregory.
9. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
10. What was Synge's final play?
(a) Delilah of the Street.
(b) Deidre of the Sorrows.
(c) Deborah of the Sun.
(d) Darlene of the Secrets.
11. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He saw the man who lost the award.
(b) He was recognized.
(c) He saw a poster of himself.
(d) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
12. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
(b) Religious Doctrine.
(c) Internal thoughts.
(d) Personal Belief.
13. What did Yeats say made Moore's writing improve?
(a) His time in the theater.
(b) His criticism.
(c) His love affairs.
(d) His time in the company of writers.
14. What season did Yeats like to spend with Lady Gregory?
15. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(c) Lady Gregory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
2. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
3. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
4. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
5. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)