|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their process.
(b) Their genius.
(c) Their struggle.
(d) Their motives.
2. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
3. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
4. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
5. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(b) He saw a poster of himself.
(c) He saw the man who lost the award.
(d) He was recognized.
6. What did Synge accept just before he died?
(a) His belief in God.
(b) His impending death.
(c) His lack of success.
(d) His estrangement from society.
7. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The docks.
(b) A fancy hotel.
(c) The National Convention Center.
(d) The Royal Palace.
8. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
(a) Inarticulated desires.
(b) Clash of character.
(c) Satirical truths.
(d) Folly and Foils.
9. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
10. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A ship.
(c) A tree.
(d) A burning flag.
11. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The stars.
12. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
(a) It sounded like a stranger's voice.
(b) It was very original.
(c) It was on the road to perfection.
(d) It was too ornamental.
13. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
(a) Imitated his writing style.
(b) Took the credit for their collaborative work.
(c) Had sordid love afffairs.
(d) Spread rumors about Lady Gregory.
14. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Leather chair.
(c) Pen set.
15. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Live with different kinds of people.
(b) Write for more than one group of people.
(c) Observe different kinds of people.
(d) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
2. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
3. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
4. What country did Davitt want to protect?
5. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)