|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season did Yeats like to spend with Lady Gregory?
2. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Pen set.
(d) Leather chair.
3. What did Moore want to become involved in?
4. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Write for more than one group of people.
(b) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(c) Live with different kinds of people.
(d) Observe different kinds of people.
5. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
6. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
7. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
(a) Performing in a controversial play.
(b) Going on a speaking tour.
(c) Presenting a controversial work of art.
(d) Confronting a corrupt government official.
8. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
(a) A tree.
(b) A ship.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A burning flag.
9. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(b) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(c) A man beats a woman.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
10. What did Yeats say made Moore's writing improve?
(a) His love affairs.
(b) His time in the theater.
(c) His time in the company of writers.
(d) His criticism.
11. What was Moore's occupation?
(b) Theater owner.
12. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
13. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
14. Why was Yeats hesitant to put Synge's last play on the stage?
(a) It was personal to him.
(b) It was not finished.
(c) He was intimidated by its depth.
(d) He was dealing with his grief.
15. What did Lady Gregory help Yeats become?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
2. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
3. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
4. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
5. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)