|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
2. What did Lady Gregory help Yeats become?
3. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The writer was not as good as Synge.
(b) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(c) The other writer had wronged Synge.
(d) The other writer was a felon.
4. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Write for more than one group of people.
(b) Observe different kinds of people.
(c) Live with different kinds of people.
(d) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
5. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) War planes over head.
(b) The fall of the English government.
(c) Yeats's wedding.
(d) Synge's death.
6. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their struggle.
(b) Their motives.
(c) Their genius.
(d) Their process.
7. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
8. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
9. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
(a) Took the credit for their collaborative work.
(b) Spread rumors about Lady Gregory.
(c) Had sordid love afffairs.
(d) Imitated his writing style.
10. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(a) Lady Gregory.
11. What kind of guests did Lady Gregory like to have visit her house?
(a) Irish writers.
(b) Family members.
(d) Poor peasants.
12. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(c) Leather chair.
(d) Pen set.
13. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
(b) Internal thoughts.
(c) Personal Belief.
(d) Religious Doctrine.
14. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
15. What was Moore's occupation?
(b) Theater owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
2. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
3. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
4. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
5. What did Synge accept just before he died?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)