|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(b) A man beats a woman.
(c) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
2. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His diary.
(b) His letters.
(c) His poems.
(d) His plays.
3. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
4. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
5. What did Moore want to become involved in?
6. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(b) Pen set.
(c) Leather chair.
(d) Encouraging letters.
7. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
(a) Going on a speaking tour.
(b) Presenting a controversial work of art.
(c) Confronting a corrupt government official.
(d) Performing in a controversial play.
8. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
(a) A tree.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A ship.
(d) A burning flag.
9. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
10. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
11. What did Lady Gregory want Yeats to stop writing?
(c) Short stories.
(d) Magazine articles.
12. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He was recognized.
(b) He saw the man who lost the award.
(c) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(d) He saw a poster of himself.
13. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(c) Lady Gregory.
14. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
(a) To avoid seeing how large the audience was.
(b) To keep from falling down the stairs.
(c) To avoid turning their backs to the Royal Family.
(d) To show their respect for the future.
15. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(b) Live with different kinds of people.
(c) Write for more than one group of people.
(d) Observe different kinds of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
2. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
3. Who did Yeats think was not appreciated during his life?
4. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
5. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)