|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Synge accept just before he died?
(a) His belief in God.
(b) His impending death.
(c) His lack of success.
(d) His estrangement from society.
2. What year did Yeats win the Nobel Prize?
3. What was Maud's occupation?
4. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
5. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(a) New from friends.
(b) Passengers on the boat.
6. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(b) Lady Gregory.
7. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) An Irish man wants to be English.
(b) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(c) A man beats a woman.
(d) A Catholic priest is the villain.
8. What did Lady Gregory want Yeats to stop writing?
(c) Magazine articles.
(d) Short stories.
9. Who did Yeats think was not appreciated during his life?
10. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(b) The woods.
(c) Big cities.
(d) The ocean.
11. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
(c) The stars.
(d) The ocean.
12. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A weakness.
(b) A sign of strength.
(c) A necessity.
(d) A prayer answered.
13. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(b) Herr Man.
14. What was Moore's occupation?
(a) Theater owner.
15. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(a) The past.
(b) The subject.
(c) The artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
2. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
3. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
4. What country did Davitt want to protect?
5. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)