|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They did not appreciate symbolism.
(b) They skipped over important details.
(c) They misinterpreted literature.
(d) They needed a map to read good literature.
2. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(d) Lady Gregory.
3. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A literary society.
(b) A new house.
(c) A theater.
(d) A publishing firm.
4. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
(a) His feelings about literature.
(b) Irish Theater.
(c) His childhood.
(d) English History.
5. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) The fall of the English government.
(b) Yeats's wedding.
(c) Synge's death.
(d) War planes over head.
6. How did Yeats feel when he was around Lady Gregory?
7. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
8. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
(a) Their plot line was so intricate.
(b) They were open to critiques.
(c) They were fast and professional.
(d) They wrote all day long.
9. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Pen set.
(d) Leather chair.
10. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The Globe Theater.
(b) The Abby Theater.
(c) The Longhorn International Theater.
(d) The English National Theater.
11. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
(b) Hire a famous actress.
(c) Post advertisements.
(d) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
12. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Help with his poetry.
(b) Finish his play.
(c) Court his daughter.
(d) Read his journal.
13. What did Moore want to become involved in?
14. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His letters.
(b) His diary.
(c) His plays.
(d) His poems.
15. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
(a) He did not want to hurt his feelings.
(b) He did not want to make him worry needlessly.
(c) He knew he would be denied.
(d) He did not want to reveal the thoughts of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Maud's occupation?
2. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
3. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
4. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
5. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)