|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
(a) International matters.
2. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A burning flag.
(c) A tree.
(d) A ship.
3. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(b) Lady Gregory.
4. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) Her son was killed.
(b) She lost part of her fortune.
(c) Her inheritance was taken away.
(d) Her husband died.
5. What country did Davitt want to protect?
6. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
7. Why was Yeats mad when the death of another writer got more attention than the death of Synge?
(a) The other writer was not from Ireland.
(b) The writer was not as good as Synge.
(c) The other writer was a felon.
(d) The other writer had wronged Synge.
8. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(a) The past.
(b) The subject.
(c) The artist.
9. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
(a) They wrote all day long.
(b) Their plot line was so intricate.
(c) They were fast and professional.
(d) They were open to critiques.
10. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
(a) Spread rumors about Lady Gregory.
(b) Had sordid love afffairs.
(c) Imitated his writing style.
(d) Took the credit for their collaborative work.
11. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Held rallies.
(b) Signed petitions.
(c) Wrote letters.
(d) Made personal visits.
12. What did Lady Gregory want Yeats to stop writing?
(a) Short stories.
(c) Magazine articles.
13. What did Synge accept just before he died?
(a) His estrangement from society.
(b) His lack of success.
(c) His belief in God.
(d) His impending death.
14. What season did Yeats like to spend with Lady Gregory?
15. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A prayer answered.
(b) A weakness.
(c) A necessity.
(d) A sign of strength.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
2. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
3. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
4. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
5. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)