|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
2. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A tree.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A burning flag.
(d) A ship.
3. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
4. What was Synge's final play?
(a) Darlene of the Secrets.
(b) Deborah of the Sun.
(c) Delilah of the Street.
(d) Deidre of the Sorrows.
5. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(c) Lady Gregory.
6. What did Yeats compare poetry to?
(a) A religion.
(b) A country.
(c) A young person in love.
(d) A war with words.
7. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their motives.
(b) Their genius.
(c) Their struggle.
(d) Their process.
8. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
(a) Held rallies.
(b) Made personal visits.
(c) Signed petitions.
(d) Wrote letters.
9. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A literary society.
(b) A theater.
(c) A publishing firm.
(d) A new house.
10. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
11. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A man beats a woman.
(b) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(c) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
12. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) The woods.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Big cities.
13. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(a) Herr Man.
14. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(b) Material things.
(c) Their jobs.
15. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
(a) Food and other trade goods.
(d) High charges.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
2. What did Yeats say a writer had to do to be appreciated?
3. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
4. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
5. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)