|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Maud's occupation?
2. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
(a) Letters from his daughter.
(b) Visions from a friend.
(c) The marriage of his son.
(d) The publication of his book.
3. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
(a) They wrote all day long.
(b) They were fast and professional.
(c) Their plot line was so intricate.
(d) They were open to critiques.
4. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(c) New from friends.
(d) Passengers on the boat.
5. What did a man tell Yeats when he was in a trance?
(a) To move to America.
(b) To travel abroad.
(c) To live by water.
(d) To return to his homeland.
6. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Court his daughter.
(b) Read his journal.
(c) Finish his play.
(d) Help with his poetry.
7. Who did Yeats think deserved his Nobel Prize more than himself?
8. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Live with different kinds of people.
(b) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(c) Observe different kinds of people.
(d) Write for more than one group of people.
9. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) A fancy hotel.
(b) The Royal Palace.
(c) The docks.
(d) The National Convention Center.
10. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His feelings about literature.
(c) Irish Theater.
(d) English History.
11. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their genius.
(b) Their struggle.
(c) Their process.
(d) Their motives.
12. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
(b) Post advertisements.
(c) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
(d) Hire a famous actress.
13. How did most of Synge's friends view his acceptance?
(a) A sign of strength.
(b) A weakness.
(c) A prayer answered.
(d) A necessity.
14. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
(d) Hidden thoughts.
15. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
2. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
3. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
4. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
5. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)