|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(b) Lady Gregory.
2. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
(b) Hire a famous actress.
(c) Post advertisements.
(d) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
3. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
4. Which part of education did Yeats think was insufficient?
5. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(a) The subject.
(c) The artist.
(d) The past.
6. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They needed a map to read good literature.
(b) They misinterpreted literature.
(c) They skipped over important details.
(d) They did not appreciate symbolism.
7. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Read his journal.
(b) Court his daughter.
(c) Finish his play.
(d) Help with his poetry.
8. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
9. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
10. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
(c) International matters.
11. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
12. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) The woods.
(b) The ocean.
(d) Big cities.
13. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
(a) To show their respect for the future.
(b) To avoid seeing how large the audience was.
(c) To avoid turning their backs to the Royal Family.
(d) To keep from falling down the stairs.
14. What did Yeats talk about at the Royal Academy of Sweden?
(a) His feelings about literature.
(b) His childhood.
(c) Irish Theater.
(d) English History.
15. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(b) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(c) A man beats a woman.
(d) An Irish man wants to be English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
2. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
3. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
4. What was Synge's final play?
5. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)