|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yeats say most people find in poetry?
(d) Hidden thoughts.
2. What did Yeats start worshiping after he was put in a trance?
(a) The sun.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The stars.
(d) The moon.
3. How did Yeats think a writer should learn to write about different kinds of people?
(a) Write for more than one group of people.
(b) Get critiques from different kinds of people.
(c) Observe different kinds of people.
(d) Live with different kinds of people.
4. What did Yeats say made Moore's writing improve?
(a) His criticism.
(b) His love affairs.
(c) His time in the company of writers.
(d) His time in the theater.
5. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their struggle.
(b) Their genius.
(c) Their motives.
(d) Their process.
6. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
7. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A theater.
(b) A literary society.
(c) A new house.
(d) A publishing firm.
8. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) She lost part of her fortune.
(b) Her inheritance was taken away.
(c) Her husband died.
(d) Her son was killed.
9. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(a) Passengers on the boat.
(d) New from friends.
10. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
(a) Took the credit for their collaborative work.
(b) Imitated his writing style.
(c) Had sordid love afffairs.
(d) Spread rumors about Lady Gregory.
11. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
12. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The Royal Palace.
(b) The docks.
(c) A fancy hotel.
(d) The National Convention Center.
13. What did Yeats say happened when people lacked the depth of a writer?
(a) They needed a map to read good literature.
(b) They skipped over important details.
(c) They did not appreciate symbolism.
(d) They misinterpreted literature.
14. Which of the following was NOT a gift given to Yeats by Lady Gregory?
(a) Encouraging letters.
(b) Leather chair.
(d) Pen set.
15. Who got mad at Moore when his plays became popular?
(b) Lady Gregory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
2. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
3. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
4. What did Yeats and Kady Gregory do to change the theater rule in Ireland?
5. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)