|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lady Gregory promise to help Yeats raise money for?
(a) A theater.
(b) A literary society.
(c) A new house.
(d) A publishing firm.
2. What did Yeats want to do to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Make an apology about Countess Cathleen.
(b) Have Lady Gregory give the Prologue.
(c) Post advertisements.
(d) Hire a famous actress.
3. What did Yeats say made Moore's writing improve?
(a) His time in the company of writers.
(b) His time in the theater.
(c) His love affairs.
(d) His criticism.
4. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
(a) The English National Theater.
(b) The Longhorn International Theater.
(c) The Abby Theater.
(d) The Globe Theater.
5. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their genius.
(b) Their process.
(c) Their struggle.
(d) Their motives.
6. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
7. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
8. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
9. What did Davitt think politicians could not understand?
(a) International matters.
10. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(b) New from friends.
(d) Passengers on the boat.
11. What did Synge accept just before he died?
(a) His belief in God.
(b) His lack of success.
(c) His estrangement from society.
(d) His impending death.
12. How did Yeats feel when Synge's death went unnoticed?
13. What was Yeats humbled by when he got to Stockholm?
(a) He saw a poster of himself.
(b) He heard one of his poems being quoted.
(c) He was recognized.
(d) He saw the man who lost the award.
14. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
(a) His poems.
(b) His plays.
(c) His letters.
(d) His diary.
15. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
2. What did Moore and Yeats do when they worked on plays together?
3. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
4. Who did Yeats think deserved his Nobel Prize more than himself?
5. What kind of guests did Lady Gregory like to have visit her house?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)