|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(a) Lady Gregory.
2. Why did the award winners return to their seats backwards after getting their prizes?
(a) To avoid turning their backs to the Royal Family.
(b) To avoid seeing how large the audience was.
(c) To show their respect for the future.
(d) To keep from falling down the stairs.
3. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(b) The past.
(c) The artist.
(d) The subject.
4. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
5. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) Her son was killed.
(b) Her husband died.
(c) She lost part of her fortune.
(d) Her inheritance was taken away.
6. What kind of person did Yeats say the public did not understand about artists?
(a) Their process.
(b) Their genius.
(c) Their struggle.
(d) Their motives.
7. What did Moore want to become involved in?
8. What was the man sitting by Yeats at the reception so worried about?
(a) Making a good impression.
(b) Offending the royals.
(c) Being laughed at.
(d) Returning home.
9. What did Yeats say the world was too preoccupied with?
(b) Material things.
(d) Their jobs.
10. What two things did Yeats say were separate entities?
(a) Politics and Government.
(b) History and the Past.
(c) Philosophy and Spiritualism.
(d) Poetry and Literature.
11. What did Yeats say his work made him feel?
12. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Court his daughter.
(b) Finish his play.
(c) Help with his poetry.
(d) Read his journal.
13. What did Yeats say was invulnerable to misinterpretation?
(a) Personal Belief.
(b) Internal thoughts.
(c) Religious Doctrine.
14. How did Yeats feel about his writing after his first book was published?
(a) It was very original.
(b) It was on the road to perfection.
(c) It was too ornamental.
(d) It sounded like a stranger's voice.
15. What country did Davitt want to protect?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
2. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
3. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
4. What was Maud's occupation?
5. What did Yeats say the public lacked?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)