|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats say the writer had many of?
2. Who almost ruined Yeats's plan to make the Gaelic play a success?
(c) Lady Gregory.
3. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
4. Why was Yeats afraid to ask his best friend permission for something he wanted to do?
(a) He did not want to reveal the thoughts of death.
(b) He did not want to make him worry needlessly.
(c) He knew he would be denied.
(d) He did not want to hurt his feelings.
5. What caused Lady Gregory to move to her country estate?
(a) She lost part of her fortune.
(b) Her son was killed.
(c) Her husband died.
(d) Her inheritance was taken away.
6. Where was the Nobel Prize reception held?
(a) The docks.
(b) A fancy hotel.
(c) The National Convention Center.
(d) The Royal Palace.
7. What was Yeats told to avoid in his trance-like state?
(a) Big cities.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The woods.
8. What was the most controversial part of Countess Cathleen?
(a) A Catholic priest is the villain.
(b) An Irish man wants to be English.
(c) A woman sells her soul to the devil.
(d) A man beats a woman.
9. What kind of guests did Lady Gregory like to have visit her house?
(a) Irish writers.
(b) Family members.
(c) Poor peasants.
10. What did Yeats say was threatening the best parts of Ireland?
11. What did Yeats dream about when he was living with Symons?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A ship.
(c) A burning flag.
(d) A tree.
12. What word did Yeats use to describe Maud?
13. What did some of Yeats's friends all have dreams of?
(a) War planes over head.
(b) Yeats's wedding.
(c) Synge's death.
(d) The fall of the English government.
14. Where did Yeats get his limited knowledge of Sweden?
(c) New from friends.
(d) Passengers on the boat.
15. What was Yeats struggling to write when he met Lady Gregory?
(a) A novel.
(b) A play.
(c) A poem.
(d) A short story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed Yeats about the person who wrote a Gaelic play for him?
2. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
3. What did Moore do that made Yeats incredibly upset?
4. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
5. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)