|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Synge's final play?
(a) Deidre of the Sorrows.
(b) Delilah of the Street.
(c) Deborah of the Sun.
(d) Darlene of the Secrets.
2. How did Yeats travel to Stockholm?
3. What did Lady Gregory help Yeats become?
4. What did Yeats say caused comedy in literature?
(a) Folly and Foils.
(b) Clash of character.
(c) Satirical truths.
(d) Inarticulated desires.
5. What did Symons dream about when he was living with Yeats?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A ship.
(c) A tree.
(d) A burning flag.
6. What did most of the theaters in Ireland perform plays for?
(b) High charges.
(d) Food and other trade goods.
7. What was Maud doing when she needed protection?
(a) Presenting a controversial work of art.
(b) Going on a speaking tour.
(c) Performing in a controversial play.
(d) Confronting a corrupt government official.
8. What did Yeats say brought passion into paintings?
(a) The artist.
(b) The past.
(d) The subject.
9. Who wrote Countess Cathleen?
10. When did Yeats have the chance to protect Maud Gonne?
11. What did Yeats's brother spend much of his time doing?
12. What two things did Yeats say were separate entities?
(a) History and the Past.
(b) Politics and Government.
(c) Philosophy and Spiritualism.
(d) Poetry and Literature.
13. What did Synge say helped him reach his acceptance?
(a) The marriage of his son.
(b) Letters from his daughter.
(c) Visions from a friend.
(d) The publication of his book.
14. What did Yeats want to ask his best friend permission to do?
(a) Court his daughter.
(b) Finish his play.
(c) Read his journal.
(d) Help with his poetry.
15. Who was being considered for the Nobel Prize along with Yeats?
(a) Herr Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Yeats write about how his work made him feel?
2. What season did Yeats like to spend with Lady Gregory?
3. What did Yeats say gave poetic words passion?
4. Who did Yeats ask to write a Gaelic play?
5. Which theater showed Synge's last play?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)