|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats compare the phases of literature to?
(a) The seasons in a year.
(b) The moon.
(c) A growing child.
(d) The age of man.
2. What was Yeats's grandfather's occupation?
3. What helped Yeats break free from imitating his father's style?
(a) A dream.
(b) A talk with a teacher.
4. Where did Yeats start the National Literary Society?
5. What was Hyde unable to do to any artist?
(a) Copy their style.
(b) Applaud them.
(c) Criticize them.
(d) Read their work.
6. What was O'Grady's first name?
7. Who did Yeats live with when he started the National Literary Society?
(c) Oscar Wilde.
8. What would Yeats and his sponsor do while they discussed what Yeats taught him?
(a) Drink in a tavern.
(b) Fish in the stream.
(c) Sit in chairs.
(d) Take long walks.
9. Who did Yeats stay with in Paris?
10. Why did Yeats never express his feelings the first time he fell in love?
(a) She was engaged to another man.
(b) She was much too old for him.
(c) She was much too young for him.
(d) She was too good for him.
11. What did Yeats teach his sponsor about?
(a) Cabbalistic symbols.
12. What did Yeats pursue when he gave up physical pleasures?
13. Where did Yeats like to sleep at night while in Dublin?
(a) Under the stars.
(c) Old castles.
(d) His mother's house.
14. What was Johnson's biggest vice?
(a) He was an alcoholic.
(b) He was addicted to caffeine.
(c) He used opium.
(d) He was prejudiced.
15. What strange thing did Johnson do when he met Yeats?
(a) Foretell the future.
(b) Sing songs in the midle of conversations.
(c) Quote fantasy conversations.
(d) Pretend to be God.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Yeats's first play that was performed in England received?
2. What did the theosophists talk about?
3. Who taught Yeats what he taught his sponsor?
4. Who wrote a short story about a man questioning God about life?
5. What did Yeats's father do to get Yeats to improve his studies after moving to Dublin?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)