|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hyde unable to do to any artist?
(a) Applaud them.
(b) Read their work.
(c) Criticize them.
(d) Copy their style.
2. How did Yeats's teacher reward him when he did well in school?
(a) Gave him candy.
(b) Let him run around outside for a minute.
(c) Let him look at a sword.
(d) Gave him marbles.
3. How was Yeats's sponsor familiar with Mysticism?
(a) He had seen his mother raised from the dead.
(b) He was a faith healer.
(c) He was familiar with Yeats's medium.
(d) He had a second-sighted maid.
4. Why did Dowson say he drank so much?
(a) A dead mother.
(b) To ignite his imagination.
(c) A lost love.
(d) A pointless life.
5. What did Yeats's father do to get Yeats to improve his studies after moving to Dublin?
(a) Threatened him.
(b) Rewarded him.
(c) Taught him at home.
(d) Got him a tutor.
6. Who did Yeats's medium call the spirits she got her information from?
(a) The Drifters.
(b) The Floaters.
(c) The Masters.
(d) The Gods.
7. What did the members of the Rhymer's Club do to support each other's work?
(a) Shared their own.
(b) Bought copies of their books.
(c) Offered critiques.
(d) Limited their own recitations.
8. What did Yeats compare the phases of literature to?
(a) The moon.
(b) The age of man.
(c) The seasons in a year.
(d) A growing child.
9. What political belief did Yeats begin to explore after his move from Dublin?
10. What was the name of the poetry society Yeats formed with Rhys?
(a) The Literary Works Guild.
(b) The Poet's Corner.
(c) The Poetry Circuit.
(d) The Rhymer's Club.
11. Why did Yeats never express his feelings the first time he fell in love?
(a) She was much too old for him.
(b) She was engaged to another man.
(c) She was too good for him.
(d) She was much too young for him.
12. What did MacGregor teach Yeats about?
13. Who sponsored Yeats's books after the Society didn't?
(a) His old teacher.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
14. What did many of Wilde's friends encourage him to do?
(a) Continue writing.
(b) Fight for his rights.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Make an apology letter.
15. How did Yeats cure a boy?
(a) Cleansed his aura.
(b) Had him stare at a symbol.
(c) Painted symbols on his face.
(d) Used faith healing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What playwright did Yeats enjoy when he returned to Bedford Park?
2. What did Yeats blame for his logical style?
3. What caused Johnson to be poor and destitute?
4. What made Taylor so close to insane?
5. What happened that made Henley deeply depressed?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)