|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Yeats compare the phases of literature to?
(a) The moon.
(b) The age of man.
(c) The seasons in a year.
(d) A growing child.
2. What did Yeats once predict about his grandfather?
(a) He would lose his business.
(b) He would be in a shipwreck.
(c) He would wear a strange hat.
(d) He would cut his hand.
3. Who was president of the Young Ireland Society?
4. What did Yeats's fellow poets use to analyze their poetry?
5. What was Yeats's grandfather's occupation?
6. Why did Dowson say he drank so much?
(a) To ignite his imagination.
(b) A lost love.
(c) A dead mother.
(d) A pointless life.
7. Where did Yeats like to sleep at night while in Dublin?
(a) Old castles.
(c) His mother's house.
(d) Under the stars.
8. Who did Yeats's medium call the spirits she got her information from?
(a) The Gods.
(b) The Floaters.
(c) The Drifters.
(d) The Masters.
9. Who did Yeats live with when he started the National Literary Society?
(d) Oscar Wilde.
10. What caused some of Yeats's family members to withdraw from his visits?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His beliefs.
(c) His rude nature.
(d) His addiction to alcohol.
11. What happened to make Yeats interested in religion?
(a) He saw a pretty girl entering a church.
(b) He met a preacher.
(c) He read the Bible.
(d) His brother died.
12. What did Yeats's sponsor hate talking about?
(c) Traditional roles.
13. What caused Wilde to lose respect in his writing?
(a) His bad reputation.
(b) His sickness.
(c) His arrest.
(d) His lunacy.
14. What did Yeats blame for his logical style?
(a) His father.
(b) His religion.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His Irish descent.
15. What were Johnson's religious beliefs?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Yeats's teacher reward him when he did well in school?
2. What was the boy that Yeats cured sick with?
3. What was MacGregor studying when Yeats met him?
4. Which lessons did Yeats's father think were the most important for his son to learn?
5. What did many of Wilde's friends encourage him to do?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)