|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hyde unable to do to any artist?
(a) Copy their style.
(b) Criticize them.
(c) Read their work.
(d) Applaud them.
2. What did Yeats's father do to get Yeats to improve his studies after moving to Dublin?
(a) Rewarded him.
(b) Got him a tutor.
(c) Taught him at home.
(d) Threatened him.
3. Why did Yeats never express his feelings the first time he fell in love?
(a) She was engaged to another man.
(b) She was much too young for him.
(c) She was too good for him.
(d) She was much too old for him.
4. What did many of Wilde's friends encourage him to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Make an apology letter.
(c) Continue writing.
(d) Fight for his rights.
5. What did MacGregor teach Yeats about?
6. Who did Yeats watch react to instincts when he was an older man?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His servant.
(c) His wife.
(d) His son.
7. Where was Playboy of the Western World presented?
(a) Abby Theater.
(b) Dublin's Theater.
(c) Irish Center Theater.
(d) The National Theater.
8. Why did a schoolmate teach Yeats to box?
(a) To find something he could excel at.
(b) To help him train for an event.
(c) To help him defend himself from bullies.
(d) To make better friends.
9. What did the general's nephew ask to not be served during a visit?
10. Where did Yeats like to sleep at night while in Dublin?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) Old castles.
(c) Under the stars.
11. What strange idea did Henley embrace just before his death?
12. What did Yeats think every man had the ability to do?
(b) Express himself.
(c) Think philosophically.
(d) Have visions.
13. What caused Johnson to be poor and destitute?
14. What did Yeats's fellow poets use to analyze their poetry?
15. What did Yeats once predict about his grandfather?
(a) He would be in a shipwreck.
(b) He would lose his business.
(c) He would cut his hand.
(d) He would wear a strange hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yeats compare the phases of literature to?
2. What caused Wilde to lose respect in his writing?
3. Where did the Yeats family move after they lived in Dublin?
4. How was Russell seen among the theosophists?
5. What did Yeats's mother think people in London indulged too much in?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)